Print Thread
S
Sileas Offline OP
Hack from Nowheresville
OP Offline
Hack from Nowheresville
S
have you ever done this?

ok, you have to understand I'm part of a remote force, working from home. not in an office surrounded by other people talking about their weekend plans. I work for the government. the government. the one that depends upon the whims of the president for getting christmas eve off. yeah. so. monday is dec 26th. it's not christmas. christmas was yesterday. it's over (to the secular world, anyway wink ). I've spent the last couple of weeks being bummed that because of the way the calendar crumbled this year, we don't get a three day weekend outa this. frown

so it's monday, december 26th. my alarm clock rings, and i get up and outa bed. breakfast, put on my cool new t-shirt from the First United Church of the Flying Spaghetti Monster, brush my teeth, turn on my work computer, and start typing. I send email to one or two people bragging about my new tshirt, and keep typing. they don't respond. normally this isn't an issue, but today, a very, very, very tiny bell starts dingling in the back of my head. i'm about 12 minutes through an 18-minute psychological assessment and i start thinking "hmmmmm....."

I bring up excel, go to the bizness drive, open up the spreadsheet, and look at the leave schedule....

and proceed to write what I hope is a humorous and apologetic email to the lead transcriptionist and the chief of information processing telling them i've got half an hour here, they can do with it whatever they chose, compensatory time, overtime, credit hours, VOLUNTEER, whatever. and please don't hold back the laughter. and don't be shy about reaching for some kleenex to wipe your eyes.

.....sad thing is, this isn't the first time i've done this! blush

Features Writer
Features Writer
put on my cool new t-shirt from the First United Church of the Flying Spaghetti Monster
If I hadn't listened to a local radio talk show last night, I wouldn't have known what that t-shirt was all about. lol cool

S
Sileas Offline OP
Hack from Nowheresville
OP Offline
Hack from Nowheresville
S
i got a button too! love it. there is still sense in this world. cool

Merriwether
Merriwether
confused

I've converted to lurk-ism... hopefully only temporary.
S
Sileas Offline OP
Hack from Nowheresville
OP Offline
Hack from Nowheresville
S
er....um... if you're wondering about the Flying Spaghetti Monster....

<WARNING> <WARNING> All Bible-believing Christians, this is not ground you wish to tread upon. <WARNING> <WARNING>

http://www.venganza.org/

that should work..... Here's the short version. Some bright young lad got frustrated by the attempts to exclude the teaching of evolution from schools in the bible belt due to the fact that it was against the biblical story of creation. He wrote a letter to a number of school boards saying, in essence, there is one other theory of "intelligent design" that should be taught as well---that the world was created by a Flying Spaghetti Monster. He went on to outline the basics of the theory in his letter. It is, of course, meant in jest, and the man's attempt is not to literally create another religion (although scientology, as I understand, grew out of a bet between sci-fi writers at the poker table-- "People will believe anything"). He is merely voicing frustration at people's attitudes in this debate, and the sometimes thin ground on which the arguments are based. In any case, the response to his letter was nothing short of ....well, lets try to come up with a word for it. "Huge" seems to start to fit.... If nothing else, it brought a bit of levity into a debate that has occasionally drawn blood.

and i LOVE the Flying Spaghetti Monster!!!!!

Merriwether
Merriwether
Oh, but I was actually trying to figure out the other part. Me blushing. I think I have had too much chocolate, not enough water and excercise!

The part you described sounds really funny. I'm going to look into it. It is the last night of my short long weekend so this fits the bill - relaxing internet surfing.

smile

I've converted to lurk-ism... hopefully only temporary.
S
Sileas Offline OP
Hack from Nowheresville
OP Offline
Hack from Nowheresville
S
*slaps forehead* o WOT an eejit i am. blush

ok... in plain english, what stupid lil me did was get up and work my job (or started to, for half an hour) before i realized I had the day off. i am stupid in a cute kinda way. blush

S
Sileas Offline OP
Hack from Nowheresville
OP Offline
Hack from Nowheresville
S
wait a cotton pickin' second.....NOBODY'S gonna make fun of me? what? so are you all saying you've done this before? oh pleeeez. "Yeah, it's been eight weekends since I could sleep in...keep forgetting there's a couple of days off in there...." o come on. i'll do it myself.

rotflol rotflol rotflol rotflol

and a few of these too.
:rolleyes: :rolleyes: :rolleyes:

Boards Chief Administrator Emeritus
Nobel Peace Prize Winner
Boards Chief Administrator Emeritus
Nobel Peace Prize Winner
Well, I once assumed that we got an extra day's holiday that we didn't and didn't turn up at work when everyone else did, arriving back a day later than the rest of the staff.

So I guess I can't throw any stones, here... goofy

LabRat smile

Athos: If you'd told us what you were doing, we might have been able to plan this properly.
Aramis: Yes, sorry.
Athos: No, no, by all means, let's keep things suicidal.

The Musketeers
T
TOC Offline
Nobel Peace Prize Winner
Nobel Peace Prize Winner
T
Do I understand you correctly that you got up early when you had a day off which you didn't remember, and you spent half an hour working from home? Well, Sileas, you didn't leave your house. Once I went home from work, feeling ill. I arrived home at three p.m., collapsed on my bed and fell asleep. I woke up and looked at my alarm clock, which I had forgotten to set before I fell asleep. Omigod!!! Seven o'clock! I'll be so late for work! I took the world's quickest shower, I barely got wet, dressed in a jiffy and ran outside, got my bike and cycled like a madwoman down to the train station, from which I commute. But.... Well, when I arrived, something was strange. I couldn't immediately put my finger on it. Wait a minute. The sun. The sun's behind my back. But, heck, every morning when I arrive here I have it shining irritatingly straight into my eyes. So... well... what could have persuaded the sun to move so drastically across the sky? Could it be that... omigod... the time is seven p.m., not seven a.m.?

Yup. That was it. Good thing I'm an astronomy nerd so that I tend to pay attention to the position of the sun, because it meant that I didn't actually try to get on a train that evening to go to work. (Not that I'm saying that the rest of you people wouldn't have noticed....) I returned home, got a good night's sleep, got up on time the next morning, cycled to the train station and arrived there to find the sun shining straight into my eyes!

Ann

Beat Reporter
Beat Reporter
LOL, Ann! laugh

Once it happened to me too... a group of us were working on an advertising campaign at odd hours for weeks and before we knew it it was Saturday and we had to work till about 9:00 pm. Gosh, we were so tired!

So what did I do? Yup, forgot to turn off the alarm, got up on Sunday morning, still on automatic pilot, vaguely wondering why the traffic was so thin, heck, why there was no traffic at all, arriving at a closed gate where a stern looking guard gave me the third degree...

I've never felt more stupid in my life when it finally dawned on me that I wasn't supposed to be there! dizzy

I felt so stupid when I turned my car and drove home. Come to think of it, I've never felt more stupid in my life! laugh

Ursie

Lois: Well, I like my quirks. I think they make me unique.
Clark: You certainly are unique.

Clark: You're high maintenance, you know that?
Lois: But I'm worth it!

Moderated by  KSaraSara 

Link Copied to Clipboard