Print Thread
K
Boards Chief Administrator
Pulitzer
OP Offline
Pulitzer
K
I've always been fascinated by the origins of expressions. Someone's stealing your thunder ? Well, did you know back in 1709, someone really did steal someone's thunder? goofy

I like wandering around World Wide Words , which is a site that explains "international English from a British viewpoint." A lot of common words and expressions are thoroughly explained there. smile

Earlier, I was skimming through some threads on the boards, and I came across a question Sileas asked in the final feedback folder for her story, Steel Knights:

the ep don't tug on superman's cape (why did they call it that?)
If you look back at the episode titles for L&C, you'll find that some of them are quite clever. For example, try and wrap your head around "Tempus Fugitive" when you know that tempus fugit means "time flies" in Latin. wink

Now, as for "Don't Tug On Superman's Cape", it's something I've always heard, but I never knew where it really came from. And after a bit of light googling, I still don't. blush

I'd always heard this as "Three Tips To Live By" or some variation thereof.

Don't tug on Superman's cape.
Don't spit into the wind.
Don't eat yellow snow.
goofy

A Google search turned up this song by Jim Croce - You Don\'t Mess Around With Jim . It was a big hit in 1972 (in America laugh ). His version goes a little different:

And they say
'You don't tug on Superman's cape
You don't spit into the wind
You don't pull the mask off the old Lone Ranger
And you don't mess around with Jim'
Now, the real question is, who are "they"? 100 bonus points to whoever can tell me. goofy

Anyway, I'm assuming we're all supposed to avoid tugging on Superman's cape so we don't tick him off. wink

Does any one have any other good sites to share?

Sara smile

Kerth nominations are opening on March 3!
🏆2024 Kerth Award Posts 🏆.

Join us on the #loisclark Discord server! We talk about fanfic, the show, life, and more!

You can also find me on Tumblr and AO3.

Features Writer
Features Writer
There was also a reference to that Jim Croce song in Man of Steel Bars. The inmate in the cell with Superman was harassing him, stepping on his foot and "tugging on his cape". After Superman ducked out of the way of the punch and Inmate #2 got hit instead, the guys in the other cell muttered, "He messed with Jim".

Kathy

"Our thoughts form the universe. They always matter." - Babylon 5
Columnist
Columnist
The whole jail scene in Heatwave was based on the song. If you remember the guy that got Superman arrested for immediately disobeying the injunction was in the same cell. He goes through this whole list of things to annoy him. "I'm slapping Superman, I'm stepping on his foot, I'm tugging on Superman's cape." Then when he tries to punch him Superman ducks and he hits another prisoner - who happens to be named Jim. All the other prisoners then say - oh you don't mess with Jim.

In the song it is just a play on words - or things you'll do that will backfire on you. Like if you spit into the wind the wind will blow the spit back in your face.

Boards Chief Administrator Emeritus
Nobel Peace Prize Winner
Boards Chief Administrator Emeritus
Nobel Peace Prize Winner
I love sites like this; I'm forever wondering where that word or phrase came from. Thanks for the link, Sara!

I especially love the little errors box:

An intriguing foodstuff was spotted by Molly Wolf in a photograph caption in a recent issue of the Toronto Star: “Saffa Hamid prepares salmon canopies for the Daily Bread Food Bank ...”

* A journalist on the BBC Radio Four six o'clock news on Friday evening reported on the award of the 2005 Nobel Peace Prize: “The IAEA’s director, Mohamed ElBaradei, began life as a diplomat.” I bet he didn’t — he started as a baby like everybody else.
rotflol rotflol

LabRat smile (who really shouldn't be exploring this site at all but should be working on things like stories and music vids...and Archive uploads... :rolleyes: )

Athos: If you'd told us what you were doing, we might have been able to plan this properly.
Aramis: Yes, sorry.
Athos: No, no, by all means, let's keep things suicidal.

The Musketeers
Top Banana
Top Banana
Wait, you mean Jim Croce didn't come up with "Don't tug on Superman's cape" just as part of his song?

Really, I have no idea. I'd always figured he was the one that invented that phrase. Who knew...

Lynn

You know that boy'd walk on water for you? Or he'd drown tryin'. -Perry White to Lois in Just Say Noah
S
Hack from Nowheresville
Hack from Nowheresville
S
Originally posted by KSaraSara:
Earlier, I was skimming through some threads on the boards, and I came across a question Sileas asked in the final feedback folder for his story, Steel Knights:

Sara smile
*looks down shirt* OI! I'm a GURL!

K
Pulitzer
OP Offline
Pulitzer
K
Thanks Kmar and Kathy! Always fun to find out little tidbits like that. laugh

Sorry, Lab, should have posted a warning with that link: Major Procrastination Tool goofy

Lynn... I'm still not clear. I have no clue if it was Croce who invented that or not. I'm actually betting that he was the one to come up with it, seeing as I can't find anything else to tie to the phrase(s).

Sileas... blush I'm sorry! I think it was because CC Aiken wrote a story in which there was a "Silas Kent" and... yeah, my mental image was male.

Sara smile

Kerth nominations are opening on March 3!
🏆2024 Kerth Award Posts 🏆.

Join us on the #loisclark Discord server! We talk about fanfic, the show, life, and more!

You can also find me on Tumblr and AO3.

A
Pulitzer
Pulitzer
A
Interesting site, Sara! Thank you! I've always been interested in linguistics of all sorts.

See ya,
AnnaBtG. smile

What we've got here is failure to communicate...
Pulitzer
Pulitzer
Wow interseting. I wish Jim was still around to ask. He was a great! He died way too young. Laura

Clark: “If we can be born in an instant, and die in an instant, why can’t we fall in love in an instant?”

Caroline's "Stardust"

Moderated by  KSaraSara 

Link Copied to Clipboard