Next Thread
Print Thread
Page 1 of 3 1 2 3
#204441 08/27/05 10:16 PM
Shadow Offline OP
Pulitzer
OP Offline
Pulitzer
Anyone else watching this thing? My roommate is supposed to wake me up in the morning and let me know whether or not we have to vacate our apartment. I might pack up and head to Georgia with a few people if this storm gets any worse...pray that there's some Gulf Coast when I get back. razz Personally, it would be a god-send if it moved a little more west tomorrow, but we shall see...

Jen
wink

"Meg...who let you back in the house?" -Family Guy
#204442 08/28/05 12:24 AM
D
Beat Reporter
Beat Reporter
D
Fingers crossed - hope everything turns out ok frown

'I just kind of died for you;
You just kind of stared at me'
- Aurora, Foo Fighters
#204443 08/28/05 03:47 AM
Shadow Offline OP
Pulitzer
OP Offline
Pulitzer
**crosses some fingers too**

Mom already called me and woke me up at 6:30 this morning. (So much for sleep, right?) She and dad are in Orlando this weekend on a conference and are safe, but she told me to just get the hell out of town than stay in their house (by myself) which is the usual plan. So we're just waiting for the official word from campus to leave, but I seriously doubt they'll tell us to stick around with a 5 churning not too far away. Um, keep me in your thoughts, ok? It's pretty damn scary. It's amazing to think, though, after 17 years here this is only the first time I'm evacuating.

Jen

"Meg...who let you back in the house?" -Family Guy
#204444 08/28/05 07:13 AM
Pulitzer
Pulitzer
I've been keeping an eye on Katrina -- she's scary. From what I'm seeing, this could be the worst storm in thirty years or more. I quote from the Weather Channel guy on location -- "If you're not scared, you should be."

Jen, I'll say a prayer for the safety of you and our other Gulf Coast friends ... and, less importantly, also for the oil refinery near New Orleans; if that gets wrecked, gas prices will skyrocket frown

PJ

"You told me you weren't like other men," she said, shaking her head at him when the storm of laughter had passed.
He grinned at her - a goofy, Clark Kent kind of a grin. "I have a gift for understatement."
"You can say that again," she told him.
"I have a...."
"Oh, shut up."

--Stardust, Caroline K
#204445 08/28/05 09:36 AM
K
Boards Chief Administrator
Pulitzer
Boards Chief Administrator
Pulitzer
K
Yikes, Jen! frown Stay safe!!! Sending good thoughts and good luck your way!

Sara

Kerth nominations are opening on March 3!
🏆2024 Kerth Award Posts 🏆.

Join us on the #loisclark Discord server! We talk about fanfic, the show, life, and more!

You can also find me on Tumblr and AO3.

#204446 08/28/05 11:05 AM
Features Writer
Features Writer
Jen,

Hope you have already evacuated. The Weather Channel is having round-the-clock coverage of Katrina. I've been watching on-and-off for new updates on the situation there.

I'm far from the coast (DFW), but still hope everyone is safe out there on Katrina's path.

**crossing fingers for everyone's belonguings and lives** smile

malu

P.S.: Let us know as soon as you can of your situation (this is for everyone on the hurricane path)

#204447 08/28/05 11:37 AM
Blogger
Blogger
I'm from south Louisiana and we are watching the storm closely. We have family staying at our house, ane are praying everything will work out fine. Hey, I also hope the storm doesn't mess with the oil refineries - gas prices are plenty high enough!!

Stay safe, Jen!

Clark: I have loved you from the beginning.
Lois: And I'll love you till the end.

My 4 Year Old Cousin: "Why is Superman wearing glasses?"
#204448 08/28/05 11:51 AM
Pulitzer
Pulitzer
And stay safe yourself, Shelly smile

Have you been to the store yet to get eggs, milk, & bread? I think those are required by law wink

PJ
who's just heard that her brother-in-law who lives in New Orleans is going to stay there... eek

"You told me you weren't like other men," she said, shaking her head at him when the storm of laughter had passed.
He grinned at her - a goofy, Clark Kent kind of a grin. "I have a gift for understatement."
"I have a...."
"Oh, shut up."

--Stardust, Caroline K
#204449 08/28/05 01:11 PM
Top Banana
Top Banana
I hope you'll be safe from this monster! frown

simona smile

#204450 08/28/05 04:22 PM
Merriwether
Merriwether
I just heard how bad this had gotten over on another forum, and thought of y'all. Stay safe!

And Jen, I hope you are taking your mom's suggestion!

Do you know the most surprising thing about divorce? It doesn't actually kill you, like a bullet to the heart or a head-on car wreck. It should. When someone you've promised to cherish till death do you part says, "I never loved you," it should kill you instantly.

- Under the Tuscan Sun
#204451 08/28/05 07:45 PM
Pulitzer
Pulitzer
Hi,

If any of you are in the path of this hurricane move.

This is kind of phenomenon are very unpredictable and very dangerous.

Don't let you guard down.

MAF
My prays with everyone.

Maria D. Ferdez.
---
Don't like Luthor, unfinished, untitled and crossover story, and people that promises and don't deliver. I'm getting choosy with age.
MAF
#204452 08/29/05 03:50 AM
Hack from Nowheresville
Hack from Nowheresville
I can't belive it...I was in New Orleans a week ago!! And I'm very sorry because it's a fantastic city..I've loved it!!

the greatest thing you ever learn, is just to love and be loved in return
#204453 08/29/05 07:16 AM
Pulitzer
Pulitzer
I've been watching the reports on CNN this morning and feeling great worry for all of you in the Gulf Coast area and for everyone in southern Lousiana and Mississippi. It looks like New Orleans has been spared the very worst, though hearing that the Superdome is coming apart was shocking, eek but places like Biloxi and Gulfport are in a very bad way. frown

I think what astonishes and appals me almost as much as the terrible destruction is what the news organisations expect of their reporters and crews. These people are among the only human beings outside, exposed to the elements. There's one reporter and his crew in a car in Gulfport, a place described as a ghost town - everyone's evacuated. Everyone but the reporting team! And every time they go to Gulfport this reporter gets out of the protection of his armoured car and into 100+mph winds and torrential rain.

In Biloxi, with gusts of 90+mph, a reporter and crew are standing outside a hotel which is falling apart! Bits of roof tiles, vinyl siding, window-frames and glass and even bits of trees are blowing everywhere, and these people are stnding out in it. In New Orleans CNN has a reporter standing outside the Superdome, a building which was supposed to withstand anything but whose roof is peeling off due to the weather. They've got another guy on a pier in Baton Rouge, where the Mississippi has risen about 10 feet and where an enormous barge is floating loose and banging against the same pier, and the winds are so strong he can barely stand upright.

Are we that hungry for news that we want people's lives to be put at risk just to bring us a story? sad In Baton Rouge a student being interviewed said, almost gleefully, that this was a "fun place" to watch the storm from. Anyone who could describe this sort of weather, a hurricane which has already destroyed lives, property, natural resources and so on to such an extent, and which will cause destruction running into perhaps billions of dollars, not to mention hardship and anguish for so many people who may return to their homes in a few days' time to find that they've lost most of what they owned, and maybe their jobs too if the businesses where they worked are destroyed too, needs to re-evaluate his priorities. mad

/rant

Stay safe, everyone in Katrina's path! And, whenever you can, let us know that you're okay. Jen, Shelley, anyone else in that part of the US, we're keeping you in our thoughts.

Wendy

Just a fly-by! *waves*
#204454 08/30/05 05:14 AM
Merriwether
Merriwether
You didn't see the stupid guy on CNN, did you? He and his camera man walked out of a hotel loading dock (I think in New Orleans).. the camera man stayed between the walls, but the news guy walked out towards the street and crouched behind a trashcan. As he was holding onto the trashcan, a metal bar broke off in his hand. He let the bar go down the street and finally came back inside. The desk anchor said he had a lot of courage, but not a lot of sense. laugh

I hope our Gulf folcs are all right, but I know a lot of people down there are without power and internet. We'll be waiting.

/me mumbles about Gulf coast customers calling up about their internet in the middle of a hurricane, and soon after... had heard one customer even said "I was wondering why my power was flickering"

"You need me. You wouldn't be much of a hero without a villain. And you do love being the hero, don't you. The cheering children, the swooning women, you love it so much, it's made you my most reliable accomplice." -- Lex Luthor to Superman, Question Authority, Justice League Unlimited
#204455 08/30/05 05:34 AM
Boards Chief Administrator Emeritus
Nobel Peace Prize Winner
Nobel Peace Prize Winner
As he was holding onto the trashcan, a metal bar broke off in his hand. He let the bar go down the street and finally came back inside.
Yes, I saw that and was appalled at him deliberately letting the bar go. Hope it didn't hit anyone further down the street!

I'd take out the courage part and just leave in the plain stupidity.

LabRat smile

Athos: If you'd told us what you were doing, we might have been able to plan this properly.
Aramis: Yes, sorry.
Athos: No, no, by all means, let's keep things suicidal.

The Musketeers
#204456 08/30/05 07:30 AM
Pulitzer
Pulitzer
Ditto. I saw that too. Moron! You know, I wonder how many of these news reporters not only endanger their own safety and lives, but hamper rescue efforts by either being in the way or needing to be rescued themselves! razz

On the other hand, there was a CNN cameraman who went out in one of the rescue boats in New Orleans yesterday evening, without his camera, helping to get trapped people off the roofs of their houses and onto dry(ish) land.

But then this morning CNN had a report from Biloxi, Missouri, where an apartment block collapsed killing 30 people. 55 are believed dead so far in the town. What was the big story? Some idiot had come to Biloxi from California to, and I quote, "see the hurricane." He came to a city which was being evacuated because it was facing the worst storm in decades. And he came to be a sightseer. In a city where dozens are dead, where thousands have lost their homes and all they possess, all he was interested in was the 'thrill' of watching and filming the storm. Standing on the fourth floor of a car park videoing the storm surge, 25 feet and more of water coming up from the bay. Well, he got his thrill, he got his videotape and he'll have his few hours of fame on CNN - but what a selfish, compassionless moron. All he could do was smile and talk about what an amazing experience it had been, while less than a mile from where he was thrillseeking 30 people are still inside what used to be their homes, dead. I can only imagine how angry I'd be if I was a Biloxi resident who'd lost my home or, worse still, seen loved ones swept away by the water and debris. mad

Disasters do generally bring out the best in people in terms of helping one another - but they seem to bring out the worst in some people, too. frown

Wendy

Just a fly-by! *waves*
#204457 08/30/05 09:12 AM
Pulitzer
Pulitzer
And this ain't over yet. New Orleans is flooding. frown

WWL-TV: "Break in 17th Street Canal Levee is now 200 feet wide and slowly flooding the City of New Orleans. Huge sand bags are being airlifted to try to stem the rush of water in that area. The expectations are that the water will not stop until it reaches lake level."

In other words, the worst-case scenario -- flood waters completely filling the bowl, turning Lake Pontchartrain and New Orleans into one big toxic lake -- will happen, unless the airlift works or officials can find some other way to stem the flood.
There's a lot of information to be found here: http://www.brendanloy.com/ He's not an official anything, just a hurricane buff who's been phenomenal in pulling information together.

PJ

"I have a...."
"Oh, shut up."

--Stardust, Caroline K
#204458 08/30/05 10:07 AM
Blogger
Blogger
Yeah, I'm watching the video on TV about the flooding in New Orleans. In some places the water is so high, it goes up to the roof of the houses. I'm watching on the local news, the coast guard is rescuing about 10 people from of a roof. My uncle lives there and we have no idea how his house is; frown he is staying in Destin.
There are also fires burning, and people are still trapped on their roofs. The rescue workers are trying to get roads cleared enough to get to the stranded people. It's really a terrible situation. frown People are also looting homes and taking people's belongings. frown

The newscasters are saying that New Orleans looks like downtown Baghdad.

Here at my house, all is well. We got a little rain and alot of winds.

Clark: I have loved you from the beginning.
Lois: And I'll love you till the end.

My 4 Year Old Cousin: "Why is Superman wearing glasses?"
#204459 08/30/05 10:48 AM
Pulitzer
Pulitzer
Glad to hear you're okay, Shelly!

The newscasters are saying that New Orleans looks like downtown Baghdad
??? I thought downtown Baghdad would be all dry & dusty? I guess it depends on your point of view... Oh well, they've been broadcasting continously for two-three days, so I guess they're entitled to stretch their analogies a bit. smile

I haven't heard anything about my brother-in-law yet. Supposedly, he was taking shelter in a very solidly built house on relatively high ground, but I don't know if it'll be high enough...

PJ

"I have a...."
"Oh, shut up."

--Stardust, Caroline K
#204460 08/30/05 05:11 PM
Nobel Peace Prize Winner
Nobel Peace Prize Winner
Well, I figure the comparison was more down to 'looking like a bomb just hit it and now a heap of rubble' rather than wet or dry. wink

LabRat smile

Athos: If you'd told us what you were doing, we might have been able to plan this properly.
Aramis: Yes, sorry.
Athos: No, no, by all means, let's keep things suicidal.

The Musketeers
Page 1 of 3 1 2 3

Moderated by  KSaraSara 

Link Copied to Clipboard