Lois & Clark Fanfic Message Boards
Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Page 3 of 4 1 2 3 4
Pulitzer
Pulitzer
The thing about the Ori is that they're evil ascended. They have actual power (unlike the Goa'uld, who relied mainly on stolen technology), and they're willing to use it. They are more powerful and dangerous than the Goa'uld, and they're a lot more interesting (IMO) than the Wraith.

I guess, if you're not that interested in the Ancients, though, that doesn't really do much for you.

Still, how do you feel about Oma and Skaara? They're both ascended beings who, unlike the others, are willing to help out, despite the rules. I have a feeling we'll be hearing from both before the season is over.

As for Jack... I agree that they're stretching it out a bit much. I'd have preferred that it be explained right away, that we at least know as much as Daniel about it. I'm not hugely annoyed, though, because (a) there's enough other stuff going on (b) it's gotten so little screen time in general (no pun intended) that I'm finding I don't mind not knowing.

Oh, and there is room for a bit more than just Ori and Jaffa. For one thing, I'm hoping we'll get to learn a bit more about Merlin and Avalon.

Paul

When in doubt, think about penguins. It probably won't help, but at least it'll be fun.
Boards Chief Administrator Emeritus
Nobel Peace Prize Winner
Nobel Peace Prize Winner
I think Merlin and Avalon have been pretty much dealt with, Paul. They seem to have just been convenient props to get that device and won't be mentioned again. Which is rather a shame in my book. Especially when TPTB spent so much time hyping up this King Arthur angle before the season started in spoilers, as though it would be a strong feature and main element of the season.

Although, of course, spoilers are often wrong and until we see the rest of the season we won't know for sure. But for now, there's not much we know about the first three quarters of episodes which appears to include them. I think Gateworld has details up now of all but the last couple of episodes and none of them seem to include the Avalon theme in them.

EDIT: Okay, just checked that and they have 17 episodes up now, so there are a few out there in the wind still that we know nothing about. The focus for the majority of the season does appear to be the Ori and Jaffa Nation almost exclusively though.

I'd probably be more interested in Merlin and Avalon than the Ori and the Jaffa, I have to say.

Oma episodes were always among my least favourites. Wasn't really interested in her as a character or the whole Zen thing/ascensions/ancients. Absolute Power is an episode I kind of enjoy, but it's not among my top ten. And the reasons I enjoy it have nothing to do with whatsisname. The kid. I like watching the warping of the relationship between Jack and Daniel in that one. The Oma elements leave me pretty cold.

Skaara was different because I loved him as a character long before he ascended in S6. Since he's been ascended we haven't seen that much of him and when we do it's nicely nostalgic. But I much preferred him when he was alive. wink

EDIT: Going back for a moment to Daniel and Vala - just caught the teaser for Ties That Bind and LOL! Seems to be lots of what I'm talking about and love about them most in this one. Now I'm really looking forward to it!

LabRat smile

Athos: If you'd told us what you were doing, we might have been able to plan this properly.
Aramis: Yes, sorry.
Athos: No, no, by all means, let's keep things suicidal.

The Musketeers
Nobel Peace Prize Winner
Nobel Peace Prize Winner
I meant to post these yesterday. They're video protests from fans over the cutting of the opening titles. The first is SGA (she was so ticked off that she lengthened the credits in protest <g>):

Take That, SciFi

And the second is SG1. You can access it from here, complete with instructions:

I\'m Too Sexy...

They certainly made me chuckle. And the SGA one is superbly done - you can't see the joins. As someone who doesn't watch SGA, I couldn't tell these weren't the real credits until very late on. I swear they should hire this Gater - this makes me actually want to watch SGA! <G>

LabRat smile

Athos: If you'd told us what you were doing, we might have been able to plan this properly.

The Musketeers
Hack from Nowheresville
Hack from Nowheresville
Hmm, the fourth episode was as different to the previous ones as it could get. My personal favourite part was Vala's "miss me?" - all of what did come later was no more than an effort to raise sympathies for the new main-characters and the new-formed team.

Vala is a strange yet funny lady which I like more with each time I see her on the screen. Daniel got someone to kid around with and the poor LtCol. Mitchell keeps being reminded of his similarity to Jack.

My conclusion is that there are not that much topics that can be addressed besides the Ori - less than I thought before in fact. The predictability of some plots is a problem too, like the SGC-finances (though I have to admit that Vala's comment about the 'little man' was hilarious).

Nobel Peace Prize Winner
Nobel Peace Prize Winner
Well, I really enjoyed this one. Although there were few points at which I felt I was actually watching Stargate. But, hey, for a show I've not seen much of before, it was cool goofy

I get the feeling, in fact, that it's not going to seem like Stargate - or probably more accurately SG1 - until Sam returns and Vala leaves.

But all the same this was a fun romp. Once again, I'm loving watching Daniel and Vala's relationship. I think my favourite bits were her assessment of the SAC Chairman - I thought I was going to break a rib laughing - and Vala's 'found your glasses' had almost the same effect. Not to mention the scene in Daniel's room. Huge kudos to MS and CB there - their performances were wonderful and rich in naunces. I just loved it.

I'd groaned when I read about the SAC thing. Hadn't we seen this before? More than once? And Kinsay did it so venomously well how could anyone else top that? But the new angle on this old theme - not closing down the SGC but focusing the budget on Atlantis instead because that was where the tech was and reducing the SGC to ticking over - actually made sense for Washington and was realistic. That's just how they would think, isn't it? So it was, to my surprise, fresh and new and it worked for me.

What can I say? It was cute, hilarious and a fun way to spend an hour. Oh and not an Orii in sight. laugh . What more could you want? wink

LabRat smile

The Musketeers
Pulitzer
Pulitzer
Originally posted by LabRat:
As someone who doesn't watch SGA, I couldn't tell these weren't the real credits until very late on. I swear they should hire this Gater - this makes me actually want to watch SGA! <G>

LabRat smile
Oh, Labby, you need to start watching SGA! It is just as good as SG1 (and this is coming from someone that didn't think anything was better than SG1, aside from LnC, of course!)

With the beginning of the second season, they are starting to blend the two shows. Hey, they even had a grumpy, muttering Asgardian!

James

“…with God everything is possible.” Matthew 19:26.

Also read Nan's Terran Underground!
Nobel Peace Prize Winner
Nobel Peace Prize Winner
It is just as good as SG1
Unfortunately, I find it boring, James. <g> I watched it from the pilot, enjoyed the pilot actually, but then found myself bored rigid for an hour pretty quickly thereafter. I had given up on recording the show by about episode 6 and stopped watching altogether by episode 9.

I haven't read anything in spoilers since that has made me interested enough to go back to it. I can't work up much interest in many of the characters - the only two I could bear to watch were MacKay (who I adored in SG1) and...um...Carson is it? The Scottish one. Who just cracks me up laughing. But neither is enough to make me sit in front of the screen for an hour each week.

So I am less than pleased to hear that they are starting to cross the two shows in this second season. And if they take it to the stage where things which happen in SG1 make no sense because I haven't seen the relevent Atlantis episode, you'll hear a small nuclear explosion going off in central Scotland. :p mad :rolleyes:

Ahem.

On the other hand...and having said all that...I did catch the odd moment of some S1 episodes recently and found them...not as boring as I recalled them being.

This could be another case of LabRat hates a show for no good reason and then discovers she adores it around about S4, leading to much scrabbling around trying to find the episodes she's missed...

I have a bad feeling. goofy

LabRat smile (who might even get the recorder fired up for the rest of S1's reruns on C5. Just, in case, you know, I might watch it...maybe... )

The Musketeers
Pulitzer
Pulitzer
I record and watch 3 shows now. SG1, Atlantis, and Galactica. Of the three, IMO, Atlantis is the weakest. It's still fun, but it's more action than substance.

I mentioned this on another board I visit, and someone pointed out that it took SG1 a few seasons to hit its stride. Which is fair enough, I suppose. We'll see.

In any case, Atlantis introduced some new characters this season. The young asgaurd, Hermiod, is pretty fun, but doesn't get much screen time. The new team member, Ronon, well... he's not exactly a Gary Stu, but he's not far off. Basically, he's a fighter. The best darned fighter there is. With big muscles and a cool gun which may well be the last of its kind. I'm hoping they actually develop him some more, but for now, he's a fighter who can pull off all sorts of stunts because he's Ronon and he can do that. Basically, he's an edgier version of Teal'c without the charm.

We'll see. Last week's ep was pretty fun. All about McKay. A lot of laughs and no Ronon at all. This week... back to the action, it seems, but I'll give 'em the benefit of the doubt.

So... might be worth checking out again, Lab, but I think you've got reason to be wary, too.

(Obviously, we all have our own tastes and different things work for different people.)

Paul

When in doubt, think about penguins. It probably won't help, but at least it'll be fun.
Merriwether
Merriwether
Labby, if you like McKay and Carson Beckett, then you need to watch this past week's episode. I'm still laughing about one scene in there.

"You need me. You wouldn't be much of a hero without a villain. And you do love being the hero, don't you. The cheering children, the swooning women, you love it so much, it's made you my most reliable accomplice." -- Lex Luthor to Superman, Question Authority, Justice League Unlimited
Pulitzer
Pulitzer
Originally posted by HatMan:
someone pointed out that it took SG1 a few seasons to hit its stride. Which is fair enough, I suppose. We'll see.

Paul
I clarify my previous comment. As good as SG-1, in the beginning, which can only mean it can get better.

now, if they would cut the short credit crap... mad

Pulitzer
Pulitzer
Yes, I second that, Karen. Atlantis was *much* funnier than the previews suggested. goofy I haven't got it on tape but I might try to download it somewhere; it was definitely good enough to watch twice. McKay was a riot and of course Carson is always cool. And I liked whatshername -- Laura? The actor must have had a ball with this episode.

PJ

"You told me you weren't like other men," she said, shaking her head at him when the storm of laughter had passed.
He grinned at her - a goofy, Clark Kent kind of a grin. "I have a gift for understatement."
"You can say that again," she told him.
"I have a...."
"Oh, shut up."

--Stardust, Caroline K
Nobel Peace Prize Winner
Nobel Peace Prize Winner
Labby, if you like McKay and Carson Beckett, then you need to watch this past week's episode. I'm still laughing about one scene in there.
Actually, I have that one on my hd. I keep dl them along with SG1 each week, but so far they haven't gotten more than past the 'titles' and I've just deleted the file unwatched in the main. But I'll definitely check it out, thanks for the headsup! Carson's typical Glaswegian 'taking no prisoners when it comes to fools' really makes me laugh. (Yes, I know he's from Paisley, but it's close enough and the attitude is definitely Glaswegian <G>)

Pam, try here

It's a site with a strange little system, but once you're in it's good. They dl SG1, BG and SGA each week. If you are in a rush to get it, on Saturday, you have to post 10 posts to the forum. Then you get to see an extra folder which was invisible before and that's where the dls are. If you don't mind waiting till Sunday, you don't have to make the posts and you'll get them in another folder on the forum then.

I have to say though that it's a nice friendly little site and I didn't find having to make 10 posts any great hardship.

Of course, by now, the files are in both folders, so there's no need to go posting anything, you can pick them up in the Sunday folder.

They only keep the files up for 72 hours though, so if you want Friday's, you'll need to be quick. It's still there as of this post.

LabRat smile

The Musketeers
Nobel Peace Prize Winner
Nobel Peace Prize Winner
Well, I watched it <g> and, yes, it was a laugh riot. "Fumbles McStupid" laugh And that scene with Carson while poor Rodney was asleep - rotflol Naughty Cadman. LOL. Cadman was hilarious all round, actually. And, of course, the kiss. ROTFL.

Question though. Why is Weir in charge? I thought the military had taken over command of Atlantis?

Also watched last week's BG and really enjoyed that too. I think I'm beginning to appreciate how dramatic and dark this series is. Found myself keen to find out what happens next. And perhaps taping it when it premieres over here in the autumn. Guess it's growing on me.

LabRat smile

The Musketeers
RL Offline
Top Banana
Top Banana
Question though. Why is Weir in charge? I thought the military had taken over command of Atlantis?
The civilians are still in charge. The captain of the Daedalus, whose name I forget, is now the senior military commander, taking over from Sheppard.

Washington doesn't want the military in charge. Remember just this last SG-1 episode where they were saying SG Command was being de-emphasized partly because the guys in Congress didn't have control of it. The other reason was the they felt the Pegasus Galaxy was where more technology was likely to be found, but part of it was control. The civilians in Washington feel they can only have a say-so with a civilian in charge. So Weir stays.

-- Roger

"The Constitution only gives people the right to pursue happiness. You have to catch it yourself." -- Benjamin Franklin
Pulitzer
Pulitzer
It's kind of odd. Weir is in charge of the civillian side of the expedition. She's basically the mayor of Atlantis. Or governor or something. It's the way it was set up from the beginning because Atlantis was supposed to be about science, exploration, and meeting new people, with the military there pretty much "just in case."

Now they're in a war, with more military support, but, perhaps because of the international nature of the mission, it was decided to keep the civillian "government" in place. (Besides which, most of the actual personell are civillian -- Beckett, Zelinka, etc.)

Sheppard, though, is still in charge of the Atlantis military. Weir insisted on it, and got him promoted so he could officially take the position. Caldwell is in charge of the Daedelus.

It's confusing and probably not that realistic, but basically, you've got two military chains of command. Sheppard is in charge of the people on the ground. Caldwell is in charge of the fleet. Both report to Weir, who takes their military opinions under advisement but has final say.

Paul

RL Offline
Top Banana
Top Banana
Caldwell is still the senior officer, though. In the previous episode, Caldwell was ordering Sheppard around. He's a Colonel while Sheppard is a Lt. Colonel, so he's outranked whenever Caldwell is at Atlantis.

-- Roger

"The Constitution only gives people the right to pursue happiness. You have to catch it yourself." -- Benjamin Franklin
Nobel Peace Prize Winner
Nobel Peace Prize Winner
Thanks, guys. Sounds strange, but I guess it's not all that different from when Weir was in charge at the SGC.

LabRat smile

The Musketeers
Hack from Nowheresville
Hack from Nowheresville
Wohooo, just saw episode 5 - only one more week till Sam is back!

Nobel Peace Prize Winner
Nobel Peace Prize Winner
I'm still dl ep 5, but I just watched the trailer for next week and got terribly excited just seeing those two seconds of Sam zip past. goofy

Oh, doesn't it look great seeing her and Daniel, in their uniforms, making last minute adjustments before stepping through the gate on a mission? <happy sigh> Also, must say, I find Mitchell's constant references to the team as a band getting back together quite amusing. I can just see Teal'c on drums. wink

LabRat smile

The Musketeers
Pulitzer
Pulitzer
Also, must say, I find Mitchell's constant references to the team as a band getting back together quite amusing. I can just see Teal'c on drums. wink

LabRat smile
Now there is a visual image to contemplate...

James

Page 3 of 4 1 2 3 4

Moderated by  KSaraSara 

Link Copied to Clipboard