Print Thread
Page 1 of 4 1 2 3 4
L
L Offline OP
Columnist
OP Offline
Columnist
L
I felt for Colonel Mitchel. I felt his sadness and frustration, because I feel it myself

I don't want ANY SG-1. I want *THE* SG-1 team.

Funniest moment was when Vala made the "limited gene pool" crack in reference to the fact that Daniel and Mitchel look enough alike to be brothers - a fact which popped into my head the moment I saw him.

The way the 2 looked at each other and then looked back at her, confused, was very good. Good chemistry.

However, I don't like hearing him josh around with Teal'c about their rapport, or run around enthusisatically/sarcastically saying "this is fun!" because... he's just trying to hard.

Anyway, I do like him, think he'll make a good teammate - and are they NOT going to say whether ship happened?

Silence is violence. End white supremacy based violence
Pulitzer
Pulitzer
Yep, I wasn't sure what to expect with Cameron -- and frankly I was a little worried 'cause I really liked him as John Crichton, so to have him *and* Aeryn/Vala on screen together... but they made it work. And you have to feel for the guy, going through those personnel interviews goofy Oh, and I really enjoyed seeing Vala driving Daniel insane. When they told him that if he killed her, he'd die too, he actually looked like he was considering it goofy

So, lots of things unsettled yet, but it's looking good so far. I'm liking Atlantis, too, but I won't get into unannounced spoilers here smile

PJ

"You told me you weren't like other men," she said, shaking her head at him when the storm of laughter had passed.
He grinned at her - a goofy, Clark Kent kind of a grin. "I have a gift for understatement."
"You can say that again," she told him.
"I have a...."
"Oh, shut up."

--Stardust, Caroline K
Boards Chief Administrator Emeritus
Nobel Peace Prize Winner
Nobel Peace Prize Winner
Well, I think it's safe to say I approached this with equal degrees of anticipation and trepidation. In fact, so much trepidation that I've had the episode dl for over 24 hours now and only psyched myself up to watch it just now. goofy )

LabRat smile

Athos: If you'd told us what you were doing, we might have been able to plan this properly.
Aramis: Yes, sorry.
Athos: No, no, by all means, let's keep things suicidal.

The Musketeers
RL Offline
Top Banana
Top Banana
I finally watched these episodes (SG-1, Atlantis, and BSG) after finishing up the latest Harry Potter novel. I was pleasantly surprised by all three of them.

Vala was absolutely hilarious. I really enjoyed the episode she was in last season and enjoyed this one even more. It's pretty clear to me that Daniel really does have a thing for her since she can get under his skin so easily. And she likes him a lot, else she wouldn't pick on him so much. I wouldn't mind seeing the two off and on throughout the season, rather than in just the first few episodes. Daniel makes a great straight man but gets in his moments as well. Besides, he needs someone new since his dead wife is on Six Feet Under.

I'll withhold judgment on Lt. Col. Mitchell for now. It did seem he was trying too hard after the rug was pulled out from under him. As it's set up so far, I still don't seem Mitchell bringing the team back together on a permanent basis. I hope they don't try the ad hoc method the whole season like all the contrived methods the Star Trek movies used to bring Worf on board the Enterprise. That would get old really fast.

I never saw Farscape, so I don't connect the two actors together. But it does make me wonder how those two reacted to being on-screen at the same time on a completely different show.

Atlantis was interesting. Bringing in Mitch Pileggi of X-Files fame was a nice move. That'll be interesting to see how he interacts with Dr. Weir.

I'm still undecided on BSG. I like it so I'll continue watching, but I've yet to connect with any of the characters. Maybe I'm still too attached to the 70's version? wink

-- Roger

"The Constitution only gives people the right to pursue happiness. You have to catch it yourself." -- Benjamin Franklin
L
L Offline OP
Columnist
OP Offline
Columnist
L
Vala. Sort of like Ex-Gould barbie. I don't really like her that much. But I did enjoy her twisting the screws into daniel, only because I adore him.

I love how Daniel has evolved over the years, and yet my heart breaks, because of why he's become as he is now.

But what I really loved was Cameron's desire to learn from him. Strong departure from his entry into the Stargate program when he was ridiculed by the other soldiers.

The geek is now a warrior.

Silence is violence. End white supremacy based violence
Pulitzer
Pulitzer
We're really enjoying the new season so far, so I have hopes. I liked the whole Merlin/Avalon thing more than I thought I would from the teasers.
cool
Artemis

History is easy once you've lived it. - Duncan MacLeod
Writing history is easy once you've lived it. - Artemis
Pulitzer
Pulitzer
But what I really loved was Cameron's desire to learn from him. Strong departure from his entry into the Stargate program when he was ridiculed by the other soldiers.

The geek is now a warrior.
I hadn't thought of it that way, but you're so right. I was just re-watching Stargate the movie the other week, and, yeah, the difference is profound. (Plus he's got way better hair now goofy ) He's had a lot of practice in the past 8 years -- and some very good teachers, in Jack, Sam & Teal'c. It's a pretty far cry from teaching ESL in a sweater vest! laugh

This reminds me of a favorite Daniel moment -- S5, maybe -- they're getting ready to go through the gate with some prisoners, and one of them says sarcastically he's so happy to be protected by an archeologist. Daniel just holds out his knife, and pretends to be confused -- "Yeah, I forget... which end do the bullets go in?" lol

It's a very short don't-blink-you'll-miss-it snippet of the scene but I love it laugh

PJ

"You told me you weren't like other men," she said, shaking her head at him when the storm of laughter had passed.
He grinned at her - a goofy, Clark Kent kind of a grin. "I have a gift for understatement."
"I have a...."
"Oh, shut up."

--Stardust, Caroline K
Merriwether
Merriwether
LOL! I love that line. I do miss the floppy hair. *sighs*

I think I like the new dynamics so far. I liked Ben in Farscape, and I do see a bit of Crichton in him now. Luckily, I don't see any of the old John/Aeryn carrying over, so I can get into Daniel/Vala a lot more. (The wink at Cameron at the baby line not withstanding) And I absolutely loved Teal'c's face when Cameron said "bullets bounce!"

"You need me. You wouldn't be much of a hero without a villain. And you do love being the hero, don't you. The cheering children, the swooning women, you love it so much, it's made you my most reliable accomplice." -- Lex Luthor to Superman, Question Authority, Justice League Unlimited
Nobel Peace Prize Winner
Nobel Peace Prize Winner
LOL, yeah. Action Jackson, as some of the Gateworld fans term him these days. laugh Some of them whine about it, but I think it's been a natural evolution. Let's face it, the guy would have to be terminally dumb not to have learned during all those years at the sharp end of the action and to have availed himself of the expertise available to him at the SGC in weapons and hand to hand training.

I enjoy that knife comment too. Also, in the same vein, Jack's "What kind of archeologist goes around carrying a gun?" in Window of Opportunity and Daniel's "Hello? This one does!" response.

LabRat smile

Athos: If you'd told us what you were doing, we might have been able to plan this properly.

The Musketeers
Hack from Nowheresville
Hack from Nowheresville
Originally posted by LabRat:
I was a bit worried. Jack's departure eliminated at a stroke so much of what made Stargate unique and enjoyable for me.
Oh god. Thanks for forewarning me NOT to keep watching sg1 after the current season in German TV anymore! Col. O'Neill was always my reason for tuning in to the show, his humor was still recognizable after the dubbing-process and besides Daniel he was the only person to bring the show to life!
Although the new guy from Farscape isn't bad (looking :p ) either there's something about successors I don't like because it never is the same. Well then, I can still enjoy the last few episodes with Jack as CO of the Stargate Command in the upcoming weeks. BTW, the official webpage says something about him taking a position in Homeland Security.

Nobel Peace Prize Winner
Nobel Peace Prize Winner
Oh, I'd give it a try, Bettina. Like me, you might be pleasantly surprised. That was my worst fear, that there wouldn't be anything I'd want to watch, but I was certainly proved wrong. With the premiere at least. And no one is more surprised about that than this fan. goofy

And, yes. Jack has been promoted to Homeland Security and has relocated to Washington. But so far we haven't been given that information on screen. Yet. We just got vague hints that he was leaving Colorado and, of course, he's obviously not in command at the SGC any more, because Landry is. (No word on what's happened to Hammond either, who had command of HS all through S8).

LabRat smile

The Musketeers
Pulitzer
Pulitzer
I thought Hammond was at the helm of the Prometheus now...

Paul, also excited to see Season 9, but also a little worried about the cast changes.

When in doubt, think about penguins. It probably won't help, but at least it'll be fun.
Nobel Peace Prize Winner
Nobel Peace Prize Winner
No, Hammond was in command of Homeland Security all through S8 and there's been no reason given (so far) as to why the post is now vacant for Jack to take over.

Hammond basically bunked off his job to insist he took command of the Prometheus when it was supposed to be heading for Atlantis in PU - a decision which had a lot of the Air Force brats in the fandom whinging that he would never (never, ever ever <G>) be allowed to get away with that.

So far as we know, that mission having been aborted by Vala's antics, he returned to his day job in Washington. wink

The Prometheus is generally - other than this aberration - under the command of Colonel Pendergast.

Hammond was also temporarily in command of Prometheus during the events of Lost City. It was after the defeat of Anubis's fleet that the President assigned him to Homeland Security.

Course, there is the Daedalus. laugh Prometheus's successor. Perhaps, having had a taste of excitement on Prometheus, Hammond's managed to wangle his way onto the command of her. But that's just speculation for now.

LabRat smile

The Musketeers
Hack from Nowheresville
Hack from Nowheresville
You're singing high praises, LabRat smile Maybe I'm going to give it a try but not until it's on German TV's and that may take a while.

There are a few things which make little sense to me as a non-American. In the real life the Dpt of Homeland Security has almost no leading positions for military officers as most leading positions are political and civilian secretaries, therefore what exactly did Gen. Hammond and now Gen. O'Neill command?
Then there's the question about us military ranks in the Air Force. There are formally five different ranks within the 'General', I cannot imagine that they'd immediately put a rookie-general onto a command position to the SGC and a year later into the command of DHS. BTW, did Gen. Hammond ever receive an additional star (or whatever they use in the Air Force)?

Pulitzer
Pulitzer
Do give it a try, Bettina. smile Jack was a big part of the show, but the writing's always been the *most* important part, IMO, and that's still top notch... and anyway Jack's been fading out for the last couple of years so it's not a sudden change.

LabRat, Hammond might want the Daedalus, but he'd have to travel to the Pegasus galaxy to get hold of it, so I'm thinking not goofy Maybe he's holding out for ship #3? (Btw, I love the way events on SG-1 and Atlantis intersect sometimes -- good reminder that it is still all the same universe, even if they can't interact very much.)

I did hear a rumor that Jack was retiring (again) and going on as a civilian, which was allowing him and Sam to have a relationship (finally) down near Area 51. I haven't seen anything on screen to confirm that, though, so I'm not gonna bet any money on it.

PJ

"I have a...."
"Oh, shut up."

--Stardust, Caroline K
Nobel Peace Prize Winner
Nobel Peace Prize Winner
LabRat, Hammond might want the Daedalus, but he'd have to travel to the Pegasus galaxy to get hold of it, so I'm thinking not [Goofy]
No, Pam, what I meant was Hammond has been missing since the very start of S9. I was speculating that perhaps he was in command of Daedalus when it left for Atlantis, halfway through Avalon. That he was already on board as it's CO.

But there's nothing to guide us to that conclusion. It was just something that occurred to me as I was answering Paul as a possible reason for his absence at Homeland Security. He has to have gone somewhere since the end of S8. Hope they tell us soon because I'm beginning to fret they've killed him off or something. laugh

I did hear a rumor that Jack was retiring (again) and going on as a civilian, which was allowing him and Sam to have a relationship (finally) down near Area 51. I haven't seen anything on screen to confirm that, though, so I'm not gonna bet any money on it.
I think that was just wishful thinking borne out of the Kerry/Jack retirement dialogue in Threads. It definitely looks as though Jack didn't take Kerry's advice there. :p But I'm still intrigued by (and kind of pinning my hopes on <G>) these personal reasons of Carter's and hoping that they'll at least...lean towards...something in the getting together option in the next few episodes. Actually, basically, I just hope that they don't tell us catagorically that they tried it and it didn't work out. I'm fairly happy so long as they leave me room to be able to decide personally that they get together at some point. goofy And like I say, she certainly didn't look unhappy, which is also giving me hope. A teensy glimmer, let's say.

therefore what exactly did Gen. Hammond and now Gen. O'Neill command?
IIRC correctly the position of Homeland Security was created by the President after the Ancient outpost was found in Antartica (S7,Lost City). It was a co-ordinating position, overseeing the various strands that had cropped up over the years - the SGC, the outpost and, I think, others. Hang on...will go take a look at the transcript:

O'NEILL: Does that mean Hammond will be coming back?
WEIR: No. General Hammond is being promoted. He’ll be overseeing all things relating to Earth’s defence on behalf of the Pentagon and Washington – the SGC, the 303 programme, the Antarctic site. Unofficially it’s being called Homeworld Security.
[Transcript credited to Stargate SG1 Transcripts ]

I don't know much about the AF ranks, just that there's been a lot of debate on the subject over the years. There is a strand of thought which says that Jack and SG1 (and probably Hammond) are these days outwith anything remotely normal as regards promotion and rank because of their experience at the SGC. I mean how can you not promote the man who's saved the planet seven times (or eight if Teal'c is counting)? And I tend to have a fondness for that idea, personally.

I'm not sure about Hammond, but I do know that there was a lot of feverish getting out of the magnifying glasses and poring over screencaps from spoilers by some fans on Gateworld and I think the concensus was that Jack had definitely gained a rank when he left the SGC. And, of course, the dialogue above tends to suggest Hammond gained a rank too when taking on the position originally.

But, again, this is the kind of detail that usually washes over me, so I'm hazy on the details. Sorry.

EDIT: Sorry, just realised I've been talking about Homeland Security in my posts when it should, of course, be Homeworld.

LabRat smile

The Musketeers
Hack from Nowheresville
Hack from Nowheresville
For being hazy on the details you either have a remarkable memory or you're a very fond fan laugh Thanks for helping me out with these answers, it does make more sense now. The mistake was originally mine as I confused the fictional Homeworld Security for the real-life Department of Homeland Security.

Pam, you're the second with this suggestion and I slowly start thinking that it might be worth it. Did I miss something or were you both Farscape fans too? Sorry, just joking smile

I partly agree with you about the writing as the most important part at all but in the course of time you get used to something and it's hard to break a habit. Personally I don't know if I should feel old about not wanting to change or if there's enough to claim my stubbornness on. When I started watching the show several years ago it was only because of R.D. Anderson and for a long time it stayed that way. Naturally you cannot keep watching a show simply ogling their main character (though that would have been a justifiable exuse) so my interest in the story itself grew and for years I've been a moderate fan.

Considering the situation in a more realistic way, it's probably good to see him leave the show as I don't think the character is cut out for a desk-job. This 'rumor' about Jack retiring, that's imo nothing more than a shipper request on a show simply not cut out for romance. About Jack again receiving a promotion after he left the SGC - wow, 2 General promotions in one year, that's a world record laugh

Merriwether
Merriwether
Ooh, I just had to share this. I was reading Joe Mallozzi's In the Making of Avalon pt 1, and he was mentioning random stuff. And I just had to share this quote:

Loved Merlin -- but that hat! It was ... certainly ornate. When he first appeared on dailies wearing that hat, I couldn't help but announce: "Mitchell ... Gryffindor! Vala ... Ravenclaw."
rotflol

"You need me. You wouldn't be much of a hero without a villain. And you do love being the hero, don't you. The cheering children, the swooning women, you love it so much, it's made you my most reliable accomplice." -- Lex Luthor to Superman, Question Authority, Justice League Unlimited
Pulitzer
Pulitzer
I was a Farscape fan, for a while... which is one of the reasons I was worried that I wouldn't be able to see the actors again without constantly remembering the old characters. They made it work, though.

LabRat, the Daedalus already made it to Atlantis (season premiere ep), and I forget the commander's name, but it's not Hammond. smile

PJ

"I have a...."
"Oh, shut up."

--Stardust, Caroline K
Nobel Peace Prize Winner
Nobel Peace Prize Winner
LabRat, the Daedalus already made it to Atlantis (season premiere ep), and I forget the commander's name, but it's not Hammond. [Smile]
Ah, I see - we're at cross purposes because we're talking about two different shows. <g>

I don't watch Atlantis, so I was basing my speculation on the events in Avalon solely. Daniel was packing to join the Daedalus at the start of the episode and because of Vala's intervention missed the boat, so to speak. Mitchell regretfully told him when he woke up in the infirmary that 'the Daedalus left two hours ago' - without him. Dashing his hopes of going to Atlantis yet again.

Obviously, if Atlantis picked up on that one hour later in its premiere and Hammond wasn't on board, then that scotchs that theory. wink But as I don't watch Atlantis, having given up on it early in S1, I wasn't aware of that to factor it into my earlier posts.

I really, really hate that, btw. Sorry, Pam. <g> I want to watch a show because it interests me and I enjoy it. Not because I'm forced to by TPTB mixing and matching between the two so that if I don't watch one I have no idea what's happening in the other. :p

Not that I'm watching it anyway. <G> And so far the missing details in SG1 have been about things which I don't really care about - like the ships or the puddlejumpers or whatever - so I haven't noticed any lack or tendancy to be confused. But if it gets to the point where something I see in SG1 makes no sense because I haven't watched Atlantis, I will be a very, very unhappy bunny.
wallbash

And LOL, Bettina. Obssessed covers it, I think. <g> And not a Farscape fan, no. Watched the odd episode but never really got into it. I'm glad of that, as I said earlier, because it means I come fresh to the characters of Vala and Mitchell with no echoes to get in the way. Which definitely helped me with the transition.

LabRat smile

The Musketeers
Page 1 of 4 1 2 3 4

Moderated by  KSaraSara 

Link Copied to Clipboard