Next Thread
Print Thread
A
Anonymous
Unregistered
Anonymous
Unregistered
A
http://www.canada.com/components/printstory/printstory4.aspx?id=a965424e-d008-4212-be41-3cdf85495ccc

According to this article Wells was an freaking jerk. He abused women, fathered illegitimate kids that he refused to take care of financially and was a racist.

“Stalin knew of Wells's importance and relished his work. He met with Wells and enjoyed the encounter so much that he cancelled the rest of the day's activities so he could listen to the great man for even longer. Hitler thought that Wells spoke and wrote for the "new man," and should be "regarded" by the modern world.”

I knew there was a reason I didn’t like him goofy

TEEEEEEEJ

Yes, yes, I know...a TV character...artistic license...yadda yadda

TJ/who still hates him AND TEMPUS!!!

Columnist
Columnist
ok,I didn´t know that shock

What a monster.

Like TEEEEEEEJ now I know why I didn´t like him.

DEAR LORD, that man was a thing ,not a human. mad

Good to know that, thanks for the post.

Karla

Pulitzer
Pulitzer
Yeah, I always knew that Wells didn't have his head screwed on tight. Read about him once a long time ago, but apparently they left out a few details...

I suppose the only reason the writers picked him was because of the Time Machine aspect.

or...

It could be that that is the kind of Utopia that they wanted... devil

James

“…with God everything is possible.” Matthew 19:26.

Also read Nan's Terran Underground!
A
Anonymous
Unregistered
Anonymous
Unregistered
A
It could be that that is the kind of Utopia that they wanted devil
Damn that's scary-- and his obsession almost makes sense now in a freaky scary sort of way. People like him get fanatical about an idea of a perfect world and just won't drop it or let reality invade their plans.

TEEEEEEJ/ shudders...

Pulitzer
Pulitzer
Wait a sec.

Hitler and Stalin liked him, so he must be evil? Hitler and Stalin liked and respected a lot of people and things, some of them worthy of respect by the rest of us.

And Utopia? Have you read The Time Machine? There was no utopia in that book. It deals with a future in which humanity has destroyed itself and the world is ruled by intelligent but savage cockroaches. (Which is something I always thought could have used some explaining in the series... Was his book different in the L&C universe, did he write it that way to throw people off the trail, or what?)

As for the rest, Albert Einstein and Thomas Jefferson weren't exactly ideal family men, either. Not that that excuses it, but do you hate them?

Paul

When in doubt, think about penguins. It probably won't help, but at least it'll be fun.
D
Blogger
Blogger
D
Wells was also heavily into eugenics. His first non-fiction best seller was "Anticipations" (Wells, H.G., Anticipations of the Reactions of Mechanical and Scientific Progress Upon Human Life and Thought, Bernhard Tauchnitz, Leipzig, 1902; reprinted by Dover, Mineola, NY, 1999. ) where he defends an extreme program of negative eugenics ('mercy killing of the unfit').

Gardner, in the introduction to the 1999 edition, says:
‘Wells’ statements about inferior races, and the use of killing as a tool to weed out the unfit, come perilously close to Hitler’s efforts to breed a superior Aryan race, and to "solve the Jewish question" with the aid of gas chambers.’(Gardner, M., Introduction in: Wells, H.G., Anticipations, Dover, Mineola, NY, p. iii, 1999.)

Just my $0.02

Frank

Monolithic biavicide ......... Killing two birds with one stone
A
Anonymous
Unregistered
Anonymous
Unregistered
A
Paul, Paul you got me wrong, I never liked Wells as a character on Lois N Clark cause I couldn't help thinking his little jaunts through time CAUSED all that Tempus issue they had going on. Plus there are a lot of good writers on this board who write him so that I hate him.

The article I popped up was totally meant to be taken with a grain of salt, Utopia was like a Reich type system...just observational humor...I swear!

And Tempus sucks too.

TEEEEEEJ

Columnist
Columnist
I always hated his use in the show because I thought the premise was stupid. If he could move through time as they have him doing why didn't he go back and stop himself from meeting Tempus so that problem would be solved. There would have been no threat by Tempus to Clark. It just didn't make any sense except as a character to drive Lois and Clark and the rest of us crazy. wallbash

Don't even get me started on the "Curse" if they had sex story line. mad

Moderated by  KSaraSara 

Link Copied to Clipboard