Next Thread
Print Thread
A
Anonymous
Unregistered
Anonymous
Unregistered
A
Hope you guys don't mind me unloading here for a bit, but I do it in way of warning so you guys won't go through the same grief I'm feeling right now.

I've been married to the same guy for 13 years in March and we've had issues, but that's actually just peripheral to what happened to me and it's not what I'm feeling bad about.

Just that in the periodic slips in my hubby's "recovering" escapism procedures he partakes in(drinking a six pack), he decided to go on line at home. Now most of you all know I'm not hooked up at home, for various reasons, so I use my online at work to communicate and surf and such. But I keep all my Works in Progress on my hard drive at home and for some stupid reason I DIDN'T HAVE MY STUFF BACKED UP ON A DISK!!!! STUPID!!!STUPID!!!STUPID!!!

So anyway my inebriated spouse decided to skip work and hook our home computer to our phone line yesterday to go surfing for "adult" subjects and DOWNLOADED A FREAKING VIRUS. OUR WHOLE HARD DRIVE WIPED CLEAN, NOTHING ON IT!!!!!

I DON'T THINK I'VE CRIED THIS HARD IN THE LAST 9 MONTHS!!!!! HELL I DOUBT I'VE CRIED THIS HARD IN THE LAST TEN YEARS!!!!

...so just dammit all, back up your systems you guys, keep your treasures saved on a seperate disk. I lost a lot of good material and it sucks, it sucks really bad. I've been hating my hubby all night for it, but that doesn't fix anything.

That's all...

teeej

Hack from Nowheresville
Hack from Nowheresville
Yikes TJ!!

I have a vague notion of how you feel, as my computer crashed from a virus and everything was wiped out. I had tons of pictures on it that I had never printed and all those moments were gone!

I hope everything works out with your situation. Don't be discouraged to pick up and start all over again. I just loved "The Secretary" and I want to see more stuff out of you.

<BIG HUG> As they say, sometimes you just need to "Wipe the slate clean, and start anew."

Clark: "Lois, you know, I really hope someday that you learn, that sometimes what it seems like people are doing isn't what they're really doing."
Lois: "What are you, a fortune cookie?"
Pulitzer
Pulitzer
TJ, I'm sorry for your loss and frustration.

I'm not sure how much the data is worth to you, but I thought I should mention that it may be possible to recover the files. A data recovery service can bring back files lost under all sorts of circumstances, for a fee.

I've heard of them getting files back after a computer was run over by a car, or even involved in a car accident that left the HDD burned, crushed, and then drowned. Accidental deletion by a virus is a relatively small matter compared to that.

The one catch is that they can't do much if the files you need have been overwritten. That is, if the physical part of the HDD that had those particular files now has something new written on it, then you're in trouble. Assuming you haven't reinstalled too much yet, that probably won't be a problem. If you do want to give it a shot, though, make sure not to do anything else to the drive.

There are a few services that work by mail (you mail them the drive, they do what you can, and mail it back), but you'll probably do just as well with something more local. Just search your local yellow pages for "data recovery" and call around. Prices vary company to company, and generally depend on how much data you need recovered. If you just want a few small files (your WIPs folder, for example), you may be able to get a good deal from a local company.

Paul

When in doubt, think about penguins. It probably won't help, but at least it'll be fun.
Hack from Nowheresville
Hack from Nowheresville
OMG u poor thing!!! Do what Paul said!
I'm don't know a hell of a lot about computers, but have you tried restoring your system? Your computer automatically saves everything at system restore points. For example when you install a new program, your comp will automatically save a restore point incase something goes wrong in the installation. The only thing I'm not sure about is if the virus would have wiped this as well.

Hope u can recover. I'm off to backup my files!

Avatar: Michael Clarke, awesome Aussie cricket player
A
Anonymous
Unregistered
Anonymous
Unregistered
A
Thanks for the support guys. Yeah I thought about restoration of the Hard Drive, but by the time I realized how much damage was done, my husband had already started reformating the whole system. He said he couldn't get past the "blue screen" when Window's opens, thus no chance to choose the RESTORE option.

As far as
A data recovery service can bring back files lost under all sorts of circumstances, for a fee.
That would be a great idea if I had the extra cash to pay. Unfortunately, I don't yet have the means to bring back five stories I had in progress, it's just not practical, but I appreciate your suggestions in knowing that you are concerned enough to offer the suggestion.

This thing has just got me so torn up. I don't even want to look at that damn PC anymore. I was this close <pinching fingers together> to just ripping the CPU off of the desk and dumping the whole thing in the garbage chute. I've thrown a Sony Playstation off a second floor balcony before, so I figured this wouldn't be much different, but then I figured this was just God's way of telling me to stop writing "adult" fiction and go work out at the free gym in my apartment complex instead.

Anyway thanks again for your kind comments and suggestions and don't forget to back up your stuff on disk.

TEEEEJ

Top Banana
Top Banana
OUCH, TeeeeJ!

5 WIPS....I hate that. For you, and more selfishly for me, since I'm a fan!!

Here's what I'm thinking. No quitting. No tossing of the PC. No rededicating yourself to things such as physical fitness and the 3-dimensional world. None of that!

What you have here is a husband in the doghouse who might need to buy his way out...Smallville season 3 is out of DVD now. A MR Lex Luthor poster might look nice hanging over your mantle. And what about those Superman floormats you've always wanted, but felt too silly to ask for? (Wait...that's me.)

This kind of spouse snafu has to be worth something! When you've been compensated and are in a better frame of mind, get back on that horse and start writing, young lady!!

(You know, this started out as sympathetic and ended up as a nag...go figure.)

CC

You mean we're supposed to have lives?

Oh crap!

~Tank
L
L Offline
Columnist
Columnist
L
{{{{{{{{{{{{{{{{{TJ}}}}}}}}}}}}}}}}}}}}}}}}

Silence is violence. End white supremacy based violence
Hack from Nowheresville
Hack from Nowheresville
TJ,

I'm gonna have to selfishly agree with CC! Physical fitness is highly over-rated. Don't give up! Think of this as God's way of saying those WIPs needed a fresheness to them. And now that you're all worked up over the whole computer issue, you have a new passion to add to boot!

By the way, the best Clark line ever was in "The Secretary",

He grinned wickedly as her lips parted and she stared with longing; before he muttered, “You just keep asking for it,”

thumbsup I love that line and that whole story <growly Clark, yum!>. We need more of you, don't despair girl!

Clark: "Lois, you know, I really hope someday that you learn, that sometimes what it seems like people are doing isn't what they're really doing."
Lois: "What are you, a fortune cookie?"
A
Anonymous
Unregistered
Anonymous
Unregistered
A
What you have here is a husband in the doghouse who might need to buy his way out
LOL!! yes, I've already been at work on this. I figure this whole incident will keep him out of his Panzer Tanks(WWII game) for about a month.

Still, I haven't had the heart to face the empty "documents" folder icon on the home PC again. Maybe if my boss does sell the company, he'll let me buy this CPU to replace the empty I have at home.

Big Grateful thanks again guys for your encouragement and support. I know you guys probably got your backups taken care of but if you don't...get on it!!!

TEEEEEEEJ

E
Columnist
Columnist
E
Ouch. I've had to start over from scratch before. It's not fun. frown

I recently backed up my fanfiction and graphics files. I do that once every couple of months or so. Geocities and ff.net also serve as backups for me.

I've been playing the Sims 2 game lately (and yes, I have Lois & Clark sims, lol). It's the saved characters I'd feel the most bad about losing.

I believe there's a hero in all of us that keeps us honest, gives us strength, makes us noble, and finally allows us to die with pride, even though sometimes we have to be steady and give up the thing we want the most. Even our dreams. -- Aunt May, Spider-Man 2
Merriwether
Merriwether
I was going to {{{{you}}}}} but someone has already given you a big one...oh here's another one:

{{{{{{{{{{{{{{{{{{{TJ}}}}}}}}}}}}}}}}}}}}}}}}}}

Go work out to get out that frustration - is there a punching bag? - come back and face the computer! You can do it! I'm dreading that happening to me. I know my hard drive is going and I don't have the brain energy to save stuff.....ugh. I better!

mad mad mad evil virus etc. mad mad mad

I've converted to lurk-ism... hopefully only temporary.

Moderated by  KSaraSara 

Link Copied to Clipboard