Next Thread
Print Thread
LabRat Offline OP
Boards Chief Administrator Emeritus
Nobel Peace Prize Winner
OP Offline
Nobel Peace Prize Winner
And I am so happy I actually cried when I read the announcement! goofy But the constant speculation and yes it will, no it won't, okay maybe it might over the past few months has been driving me crazy and although I've desperately wanted a ninth season, I was trying not to hope even a teensy amount for fear of being crushed into disappointment a la LNC's fifth.

Wooohooooo!!!! dance jump

Both Stargate SG-1 and its spin-off series Stargate Atlantis have been renewed for another season, The SCI FI Channel announced today, ending months of speculation. The two series will return for 20-episode seasons, to commence filming in March for a summer premiere on the cable network.

It will mark an amazing ninth season for SG-1, which has been a ratings powerhouse -- both in new episodes and daily reruns -- for SCI FI since moving to the network in 2002. The series will also tie The X-Files for bragging rights to the longest-running science fiction series in U.S. television history.

Atlantis gets its second season, for which it was a shoe-in based on its highly-rated first season. The July series premiere drew 4.2 million viewers to SCI FI, an original series record for the network. Atlantis continued its performance throughout the summer, making it the highest-rated show on SCI FI.

Athos: If you'd told us what you were doing, we might have been able to plan this properly.
Aramis: Yes, sorry.
Athos: No, no, by all means, let's keep things suicidal.

The Musketeers
Pulitzer
Pulitzer
party party party

WOOT!! WOOT!!

James

“…with God everything is possible.” Matthew 19:26.

Also read Nan's Terran Underground!
T
Merriwether
Merriwether
T
Is that show still on?

Is anyone still watching it?

Tank (who tried to watch Stargate-Atlantis for a while but got bored with the annoying doctor and the J'Lo wanna be)

Top Banana
Top Banana
Congrats, Lab!! I feel like I should be handing out cigars or something <g>.

Really, nothing worse than having them quit on you when you're not ready for it to be over. Thankfully, almost every show I've loved (LnC excluded) petered out to the point I was no longer watching by the time they took it off the air. Current example: ER. Used to be I wouldn't miss an episode if the house was on fire. Now, I erase them from the TiVo weeks after airing and having never watched them. Weird.

Anyway...enjoy. Of course, you know this means another set of DVDs to purchase. wink

Lynn

You know that boy'd walk on water for you? Or he'd drown tryin'. -Perry White to Lois in Just Say Noah
Hack from Nowheresville
Hack from Nowheresville
I just hope that RDA comes back for the Ninth season that show just wouldn't be the same without him. I've watch StarGate SG-1 since it came out only missing one season and not all of that. I just couldn't get used to the show without Daniel but I did watch a few ep. and was so glad when he came back.

I just don't understand why they had to get rid of Jonas.

Love Is the One Thing That Never Ends.
Kerth
Kerth
dance

"Practice up your shielding spells...and remember to duck if you see green light coming your way."

Harry Potter to Wizengamot in OotP trial

A Bad Week in the Wizengamot
Pulitzer
Pulitzer
More Stargate!! dance That's cool.

As for Jonas.. <shrug> I liked him, I guess, but he was no Daniel. They had to get rid of him because Jonas + Daniel = redundant. Both filled the same role, and there isn't really a reason to have both around. It would bog down the scripts as the writers tried to find ways to use them both, and it would cost the studio an extra salary.

What I didn't get was why the team saw it that way. For the writers and producers, it makes no sense. For the SGC, it means having an extra hand around who knows how to do translations and stuff. Sure, he's not needed on SG-1 anymore (unless Daniel becomes temporarily unvailable), but why not assign him to SG-3 or something? Actually, production-wise, it also makes sense, leaving the option for guest-starring open.

What I really don't get is why Jonas himself took it as a given. "Oh, Daniel's back. Guess that means I won't be needed around here anymore. Might as well give up this whole adventuring around the galaxy thing and take that job back home." It seemed kind of weak to me.

Anyway, not that big a deal. The important thing is that we've got season 9! party

Atlantis? No big surprise that it'll be sticking around, but it's just not the same. It's a decent show and I watch it every week, but I could take it or leave it.

Paul

When in doubt, think about penguins. It probably won't help, but at least it'll be fun.
LabRat Offline OP
Nobel Peace Prize Winner
OP Offline
Nobel Peace Prize Winner
LOL, Lynn. I had chinese takeout and a bar of galaxy last night to celebrate. laugh Not at the same time, of course.

I'm actually quite excitable about new DVDs of SG1 because that means when it finishes there's still more new bits to get with DVD extras like audio commentaries. <g>

Now, if I have to start collecting Atlantis DVDs...then I'll start to panic. :rolleyes:

The official word on Jonas - as Paul says - is that they couldn't afford to have five core regular team members, so when MS returned to the show, CN had to leave.

I never really was that interested in Jonas. Didn't loathe him like some, just didn't think much of him either way. Partly, I feel, because TPTB didn't work at making him an original character - he was too much a Daniel clone - or at fitting him into the team. I enjoy watching CN in S6 - but I'd rather it had been Daniel not Jonas in those episodes. Although if MS hadn't left in S6 we wouldn't have gotten terrific episodes like Abyss...so I guess it all evens out. wink

Sure, he's not needed on SG-1 anymore (unless Daniel becomes temporarily unvailable), but why not assign him to SG-3 or something?
They could have assigned him to SG-13 and then we could have had Dave Dixon and his boys as a bonus and a lot of fans would have been ultra happy. goofy

I have the feeling that when TPTB say they are still in negotiations with the main cast of SG1 for S9, they mean RDA. CJ and MS have always been up for more, so I can't see that they're balking. And although Amanda's baby is due early next year, I can't see them having trouble getting her name on the dotted line either. She's been excited about getting a new season for months now and a start date for filming S9 has been put back a month from the usual February to March - the baby's due date - so they're obviously accommodating her as much as they can and AT seems to think there are no problems with the show and the baby clashing. Says, in fact, that it's 'perfect timing'. So... fingers crossed. wink

Atlantis has failed to grab me by the throat and shake me, yet. I'm still recording it each week and...kinda...watching. I haven't given up on it because I've had too much experience of not liking shows until the pivotal moment when I fall in love...and then I have to scrabble around looking for the early episodes I haven't got. goofy So I'm hedging my bets and recording the full season. So far...don't think I'll be buying anything but the pilot on DVD (for the RDA and MS scenes).

LabRat smile

Athos: If you'd told us what you were doing, we might have been able to plan this properly.
Aramis: Yes, sorry.
Athos: No, no, by all means, let's keep things suicidal.

The Musketeers
Merriwether
Merriwether
The latest rumors I've heard (so don't take them as gospel truth) was that RDA wanted a still more limited schedule, which would put him at 4 episodes for the season. Since they're still doing the whole negotiating thing, it's hard to tell what will happen.

I wasn't expecting S9, so when I heard is was kind of a let down. I hate being wrong. wink

I like Atlantis. I'm waiting for McKay to grow up, and I love Sheppard. Anyone who makes jokes during crises gets my vote (which is how I latched on to O'Neill laugh ). I love the irreverence.

"You need me. You wouldn't be much of a hero without a villain. And you do love being the hero, don't you. The cheering children, the swooning women, you love it so much, it's made you my most reliable accomplice." -- Lex Luthor to Superman, Question Authority, Justice League Unlimited
Pulitzer
Pulitzer
Stargate's not quite the same without Jack O'Neill there all the time, but they still do a good job writing the episodes. And it's interesting seeing what they come up with for more earth-bound episodes. So, yay for S9! smile

I like Atlantis -- although I wish they'd kept the actress who played Dr. Weir in the S7 finale, she rocked. I do like Shepard, though, and the others haven't really annoyed me yet <g> Actually, for mid-season cliffhangers, I thought Atlantis was much better than SG-1. So they're coming along and while I'm not yet enthralled, I am enjoying the ride.

PJ

"You told me you weren't like other men," she said, shaking her head at him when the storm of laughter had passed.
He grinned at her - a goofy, Clark Kent kind of a grin. "I have a gift for understatement."
"You can say that again," she told him.
"I have a...."
"Oh, shut up."

--Stardust, Caroline K
Hack from Nowheresville
Hack from Nowheresville
At first I really liked Atlantis but the more I got watching it after SG-1 the more it felt like a clone of SG-1 just with different people. I do find some eps. funny and I liked them. But I just don't think Atlantis is ever going to take the place of SG-1 for me.

I'm hoping that RDA at least comes back for four or more eps. next season.

Love Is the One Thing That Never Ends.

Moderated by  KSaraSara 

Link Copied to Clipboard