Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Page 1 of 3 1 2 3
#201360 11/03/04 04:40 AM
Pulitzer
OP Offline
Pulitzer
Kerry has conceded! He just raised several points in my opinion.

party James party , who hopes this doesn't get me in trouble eek

“…with God everything is possible.” Matthew 19:26.

Also read Nan's Terran Underground!
#201361 11/03/04 04:48 AM
Pulitzer
Pulitzer
Yes, James, that was a nice surprise. I was worried they'd try to drag the process through the mud again. But Kerry showed enough class to accept the results gracefully. I'm sure it wasn't easy for him.

But at least Kerry still has a Senate seat -- Edwards is now unemployed wink and NC has two Republican Senators.

PJ

"You told me you weren't like other men," she said, shaking her head at him when the storm of laughter had passed.
He grinned at her - a goofy, Clark Kent kind of a grin. "I have a gift for understatement."
"You can say that again," she told him.
"I have a...."
"Oh, shut up."

--Stardust, Caroline K
#201362 11/03/04 04:55 AM
Y
Top Banana
Top Banana
Y
mecry frown mecry frown mecry frown

Great. 4 more years of fear, fear, and more fear. Great choice, fellow Americans. I am moving to Canada. At least Dennis Kucinich kept his seat in congress as did Stephanie Tubbs Jones. And as much as I wanted a democrat to win Ohio senator, George Voinavich is probably our best republican choice -- any Republican who could have been mayor of Cleveland has to be middle of the road on most major issues that directly affect us (i.e. balanced budget, jobs, etc.).

- Laura (who has so much more to say about the intelligence level of Americans, Iraq and terrorists and Bush, but will refrain)

Laura "The Yellow Dart" U. (Alicia U. on the archive)

"A hero is an ordinary individual who finds the strength to persevere and endure in spite of overwhelming obstacles." -- Christopher Reeve
#201363 11/03/04 06:45 AM
Boards Chief Administrator
Beat Reporter
Beat Reporter
I'd like to step in and issue a warning. It's fine to celebrate that your candiate has won but please keep in mind where there's a winner there is also a loser.

I hate to be the downer, but we've had some political 'dicussions' before and they never end well.

I won't stop this thread ... yet. However, keep in mind the minute it get's out of hand, this will be shut down with NO WARNING or with NO QUESTIONS ASKED.

Party on.

Annette wink

www.kerthawards.com
www.lcficmbs.com
www.folcvideo.com
www.nfanfic.net
www.annesplace.net

"There is nothing wrong with America that cannot be cured by what is right with America." Bill Clinton, inaugural address, January 21, 1993
#201364 11/03/04 06:47 AM
Pulitzer
Pulitzer
Originally posted by ChiefPam:
I was worried they'd try to drag the process through the mud again.

Oh, a major ditto! As close as this election got during the end, I thought it was going to be even closer...hair pulling, recounts, ficuses being thrown out windows.

I'm just a little disappointed Kerry lost (my mother would kill me in my sleep for that), but really, I liked both candidates; each supported some issues for me.

JD
who's glad all this is finally wrapping up!

"Meg...who let you back in the house?" -Family Guy
#201365 11/03/04 07:21 AM
Pulitzer
Pulitzer
I'm listening to Kerry's concession speech now, and I have to admit I'm impressed. Very statesmanlike, and I've never liked him more.

PJ

"You told me you weren't like other men," she said, shaking her head at him when the storm of laughter had passed.
He grinned at her - a goofy, Clark Kent kind of a grin. "I have a gift for understatement."
"I have a...."
"Oh, shut up."

--Stardust, Caroline K
#201366 11/03/04 07:33 AM
Merriwether
Merriwether
Well, there is a silver lining ...

At least now Bush has to clean up his own mess in Iraq. I didn't envy Kerry having to inherit that nightmare.

And since Dick Cheney certainly won't be running in 2008, we might have the opportunity to get some decent candidates in office in four years. John McCain (be still my heart!) vs. John Edwards (ditto!), anyone? <g>

I suppose it's too much to hope that Hillary Clinton would run, but I can dream. wink

Kathy

#201367 11/03/04 07:46 AM
Top Banana
Top Banana
My husband and I were trying to wonder at the possibility of a Clinton/Obama ticket in 2008. It'd be a long shot, but I'd be on board.

Lynn

You know that boy'd walk on water for you? Or he'd drown tryin'. -Perry White to Lois in Just Say Noah
#201368 11/03/04 07:54 AM
A
Anonymous
Unregistered
Anonymous
Unregistered
A
GRIN GRIN GRIN GRIN GRIN YAHOOOO!!! GRIN GRIN GRIN

TEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEJ<who's gonna be able to sleep wonderfully tonight>

#201369 11/03/04 08:29 AM
Pulitzer
Pulitzer
I personally would be really surprised if Hillary *doesn't* run in 2008. Should be fun smile

PJ

"I have a...."
"Oh, shut up."

--Stardust, Caroline K
#201370 11/03/04 10:25 AM
T
Merriwether
Merriwether
T
I STRONGLY suggest that the moderator lock out this thread now. Before emotions can get heightened and things are said in the heat of the moment. Things that we may deeply believe but will serve no purpose as a topic for debate here.

This was a very divisive election. Nowhere in the recent past has there been such a polarity of stances on the issues.

Personally I'm deeply disappointed in the results of the election and am very worried about the next four years. But this is not the place to vent those concerns.

Tank (who won't revisit this thread because he doesn't want his impressions of the people he knows in this fandom to be colored by political opinions that he can't understand)

#201371 11/03/04 11:10 AM
Pulitzer
Pulitzer
There has been some moderator discussion about this already, Tank. It's been generally agreed to leave things open for now, but keep an eye out. It's a policy that's served us well before with similarly dangerous threads.

Personally, I don't like closing threads. I prefer to leave people freedom, where possible. So far, we've kept things civil, despite strong feelings on both sides. I hope we can continue to do so.

The mods will be watching this thread and any similar threads very closely, but for now, I think we're going to trust that FoLCs can remain polite despite their differences.

Please be considerate of the feelings of others here. Above all, we're FoLCs. Some of us are very happy about what happened. Some of us are angry or scared or depressed or some combination of the above. Obviously, being too expressive on either side -- happy or upset -- is going to hurt, perhaps even offend, the others. Please keep that in mind. In the end, I think what's most important here is that, whatever else we are, we're friends.

Paul

When in doubt, think about penguins. It probably won't help, but at least it'll be fun.
#201372 11/03/04 04:47 PM
Columnist
Columnist
each supported some issues for me
Same here, Jen.

Above all, I'm really glad that the election wasn't drawn out like in 2000. I thought it was very noble of Kerry to concede Ohio and gracefully bow out. I think a lot of people (on both sides) were disenfranchised by the litigation last time and I'm glad to see that both Bush and Kerry ran a much cleaner campaign this time around.

As for next time, I'm hoping for a Clinton v Giuliani or McCain race.

~Anna

#201373 11/03/04 06:01 PM
Hack from Nowheresville
Hack from Nowheresville
I'm severely unhappy about the situation. I have my reasons that I've been spouting for months, but when it all came down to it, I felt so awfully alone this morning, even though 48% of the country or whatever was feeling the same way.

Just full of sadness, fear, and disappointment.

Molly
#201374 11/03/04 06:47 PM
Pulitzer
Pulitzer
Ohh, I stopped by and visited the folks' tonight. Dad is so convinced that it's going to be Hilary vs. argh I can't remember the name...it reminded me of Frisk? in '08. Anyway, I'm already looking forward to that election and the debates.

JD

"Meg...who let you back in the house?" -Family Guy
#201375 11/03/04 11:32 PM
Top Banana
Top Banana
As an outsider, I've been reading both the election threads with great interest - the results of this election campaign are so important beyond the borders of the U.S.

I think a lot of people (on both sides) were disenfranchised by the litigation last time and I'm glad to see that both Bush and Kerry ran a much cleaner campaign this time around.
Not from where I was watching, sadly - some of the most negative campaign adds and extravagant distortions of opposing opinions I've ever seen.

I've been heartened though by the respect shown here by most of the posters for the 'other side'. smile

cc m

#201376 11/04/04 12:15 AM
Pulitzer
Pulitzer
Dad is so convinced that it's going to be Hilary vs. argh I can't remember the name...it reminded me of Frisk? in '08.
I'm guessing he means Bill Frist, who's the majority leader in the Senate (I think laugh ). I don't know who might show up on the Republican side; it'll be a pretty wide open field. I'd love to see Condoleeza Rice running...

PJ

"I have a...."
"Oh, shut up."

--Stardust, Caroline K
#201377 11/04/04 12:36 AM
Columnist
Columnist
I suppose it's too much to hope that Hillary Clinton would run, but I can dream.
Actually, I heard yesterday on some post election coverage on ABC that Hillary is the top seated Democratic forerunner for 2008. More than likely she will run. And dare I say, she might just win, too! I think it's been her intention from the time Bill left office to be placed in this exact position. She just needed to show that she was capable of service to the people and many feel she's doing that in NY.

SQD (who was not surprised by the outcome this year)

#201378 11/04/04 02:32 AM
Boards Chief Administrator Emeritus
Nobel Peace Prize Winner
Boards Chief Administrator Emeritus
Nobel Peace Prize Winner
I heard yesterday that the bookies have already tagged Hillary as the favourite to win in 2008.

Interestingly though, I saw the last couple of minutes of a news debate this morning over breakfast and both of the guests - Americans, but no idea who they were or what qualified them to have an expert opinion - said that they seriously doubted Hillary would be chosen for the Democrats as she would be 'too divisive'. I wasn't sure if they meant for the Democrats or for the country as a whole. These two seemed to be on opposite sides of the fence - Republican and Democrat? - but in total agreement on that one issue. Anyone? As an outsider who hasn't been paying attention, I'm not sure why she would be any more divisive than anyone else. Naming no names. <g>

Oh, and talking of ad campaigns - I was absolutely gobsmacked in the weeks leading up to the vote while watching a news show which stated that in Las Vegas alone something like 700+ ads for both parties (1,400+ total) were shown in one week there. Holy Mother of Pearl! And over here we think having to listen to a party political broadcast once in a blue moon is boring! goofy

LabRat smile

Athos: If you'd told us what you were doing, we might have been able to plan this properly.
Aramis: Yes, sorry.
Athos: No, no, by all means, let's keep things suicidal.

The Musketeers
#201379 11/04/04 04:22 AM
Merriwether
Merriwether
Labrat, I'm guessing that what those commentators meant was that she carries too much baggage from her husband's term in office. People seemed to either love her or hate her, without a whole lot of middle ground. She also has been labeled as being extremely far to the left with her politics, but if you look at her record in the Senate so far, she's actually relatively moderate. I think she's surprised a lot of people with how well she's done as a Senator, that she's been willing to work with Republicans and such on getting bills passed.

But I do think she might have a tough time getting the nomination, not because Democrats wouldn't vote for her in the primary but because the party might feel that she wouldn't have the best chance of winning the overall election. (That was actually always my concern with Kerry -- I think Bush could have been defeated, but Kerry was not the one who could do it.)

Four years is a long time away, though; who knows what might happen between now and then. A solid eight years in the Senate could give Hillary a record that would sell well with the public.

Kathy

Page 1 of 3 1 2 3

Moderated by  KSaraSara 

Link Copied to Clipboard