Print Thread
Page 1 of 4 1 2 3 4
#201294 11/02/04 04:26 AM
Beat Reporter
OP Offline
Beat Reporter
Don't forget to vote today!!
--Wanda thumbsup

"He's a man. I'm a woman. Do you want me to draw you a diagram?" -Lois Lane, I've Got a Crush on You.
#201295 11/02/04 09:36 AM
Beat Reporter
Beat Reporter
There's been a great turnout here (Indianapolis area) this year; almost every polling place has had no less than an hour wait from 6 am onwards. I went over to my designated polling site at about 10 am and waited 50 minutes-- but it went by pretty fast. The elderly lady in front of me in line said this is the first year in all her years of voting in this county that she's ever had to wait more than about 15 minutes.

~Toc

TicAndToc :o)

------

"I have six locks on my door all in a row. When I go out, I lock every other one. I figure no matter how long somebody stands there picking the locks, they are always locking three."
-Elayne Boosler
#201296 11/02/04 10:27 AM
Columnist
Columnist
I was waiting in line before they even opened. Got there about 6:35am. Was out of there by 7:15. The whole town votes in one place the convention center so that was pretty quick.

I always have to laugh though about the people standing out side handing out flyers for their candidates to get your vote. I sure hope that by the time you go to vote you've made up your mind who you are going to vote for.

#201297 11/02/04 11:24 AM
E
Columnist
Columnist
E
I voted! Minnesota may have the highest turnout of all 50 states. We usually have great voter turnout anyway. After all, this is a state in which we can have blizzards on election day, and people pride themselves on getting to where they need to be in bad weather. We had reasonably nice weather most of the day except for a few showers in the morning, thankfully.

I believe there's a hero in all of us that keeps us honest, gives us strength, makes us noble, and finally allows us to die with pride, even though sometimes we have to be steady and give up the thing we want the most. Even our dreams. -- Aunt May, Spider-Man 2
#201298 11/02/04 11:43 AM
Y
Top Banana
Top Banana
Y
I voted smile -- and I got challenged at the polls (even though I have voted at the same polling place in every election since my 18th birthday in December of 1998). I even had to cast 2 ballots because of a "hanging chads" thing wink . My first one was VOID.

- Laura smile

Laura "The Yellow Dart" U. (Alicia U. on the archive)

"A hero is an ordinary individual who finds the strength to persevere and endure in spite of overwhelming obstacles." -- Christopher Reeve
#201299 11/02/04 11:50 AM
E
Columnist
Columnist
E
We had the fill-in-the-circles ballots, so no chad worries.

I also found out that my stepmom's mom is an election judge volunteer in Mankato. smile

I believe there's a hero in all of us that keeps us honest, gives us strength, makes us noble, and finally allows us to die with pride, even though sometimes we have to be steady and give up the thing we want the most. Even our dreams. -- Aunt May, Spider-Man 2
#201300 11/02/04 12:46 PM
Pulitzer
Pulitzer
I've been hearing news reports all afternoon about voter turnout being much, much higher than normal, which is great news for democracy. Turnout in most Western democracies has been on an alarming downward slide for the last decade or so, even falling below 50% in some national elections. Whatever the reasons for higher turnout, and I know that there are many, and regardless of the outcome, this is very encouraging and I hope it will last!

Wendy (currently disenfranchised as she has no vote in Canada until she becomes a citizen, and doesn't believe in voting in UK elections without paying tax there goofy )

Just a fly-by! *waves*
#201301 11/02/04 02:09 PM
Pulitzer
Pulitzer
I voted about 9:30 this morning to miss the working folks. All was smooth and it took about half an hour. We voted in the convention center and had the fill in the circle ballots. I had my sample ballot marked and with me, otherwise I couldn't have remembered it all. We had 16 state propostions plus one local one to vote yes or no on. Then we had the California senator, the district Representative to Congress and the State Assembly to vote for. Then 3 for City Council, School Board, Airport Board and Water District.
cool
Artemis
I also found out that my stepmom's mom is an election judge volunteer in Mankato. [Smile]
My family is from Mankato too!!!

History is easy once you've lived it. - Duncan MacLeod
Writing history is easy once you've lived it. - Artemis
#201302 11/02/04 02:13 PM
E
Columnist
Columnist
E
My family is from Mankato too!!!
Minnesota?

#201303 11/02/04 03:12 PM
K
Beat Reporter
Beat Reporter
K
I'm a student in Boston but I voted absentee in Ohio. The news keeps flipping to Columbus and outlining the craziness that's happening there, and part of me is glad not to have to deal with it, but part of me thinks it'd be exciting to have participated in all of that. My dad said he had eight messages on his answering machine from celebrities and politicians, including Bush and Clinton, and my grandma said Alfre Woodard called her! There are lawsuits all over the state contesting voter registrations and challenging people at the polls (Laura, what did you get challenged for?!). What a mess! thumbsup Someone at the Ohio board of elections got their act together, even if the rest of them are running around like headless chickens...)

#201304 11/02/04 03:59 PM
Y
Top Banana
Top Banana
Y
They said I wasn't who I said I was! They asked me my birthday, and I said, December 2, 1980. They said, "No, that's not what's listed." And I said, "Um . . ." They said, "You were born on July 21, 1983 and you already voted absentee." And I said, "That's MY Sister." There are 4 people with my last name listed at our precinct -- Jennifer (the sister), Laura, Mary (my mom), and David (my dad). I had to produce an ID -- I showed 2 forms -- and they said my signature didn't match up. I kind of screamed at the challenger and luckily someone there knew me, so it was all resolved. All in all, it took over 2 hrs for me to vote -- including standing in line and the ballot fiasco.

- Laura

"A hero is an ordinary individual who finds the strength to persevere and endure in spite of overwhelming obstacles." -- Christopher Reeve
#201305 11/02/04 04:04 PM
Pulitzer
Pulitzer
Emily: Yep, Mankato, Minnesota. My father was born there. My mother was born in Winona, Minnesota and I was born at the Mayo Clinic in Rochester.
cool
Artemis
We've lived here so long everyone knew us, so there was no question who we are. Oh, I got a personal wink call from Gov. Arnold Schwarzenegger on Prop. 72. Hey, the guy knows how to use the media.

History is easy once you've lived it. - Duncan MacLeod
Writing history is easy once you've lived it. - Artemis
#201306 11/02/04 06:19 PM
Pulitzer
Pulitzer
High five for higher turnouts. I waited in line for just 30 minutes this morning, and that was the first time I've ever waited in line to vote. My little area in town isn't really big on voting, so I'm glad they were coming out of the woodworks today. I felt really young. goofy It's mostly stay-at-home moms and retirement communities in my neighborhood, and the stay-at-homes definitely had finished voting before I got there.

JD

"Meg...who let you back in the house?" -Family Guy
#201307 11/02/04 10:27 PM
B
Hack from Nowheresville
Hack from Nowheresville
B
I voted absentee, so no lines for me. And it worked out with great timing that my mom was here before the election, going home just before the election, and so she was able to turn it in for me -- I was just a little bit nervous about trusting that important of a document to international mail. Could be paranoia, I don't know.

Kaylle -- what do you mean $4 instead of $14? For mailing costs? Or do you actually get charged to vote? Isn't that illegal?

Bethy

PS Wendy, I agree that high voter turnout is a *great* thing, regardless of the outcome. Hopefully we can turn the high turnouts into a trend...

I don't suffer from insanity...I enjoy every minute of it.
#201308 11/02/04 11:09 PM
Merriwether
Merriwether
I voted for the first time yesterday. Got up a lil after 5am, got to the polling place at 5:50, doors opened at 6:30, and I was done by 6:50am. When I got there, there were about 30 people ahead of me or so. By the time I was done, there were probably about 100 or more behind me. The line snaked out of the church, and along a wall and a half. I was impressed.

"You need me. You wouldn't be much of a hero without a villain. And you do love being the hero, don't you. The cheering children, the swooning women, you love it so much, it's made you my most reliable accomplice." -- Lex Luthor to Superman, Question Authority, Justice League Unlimited
#201309 11/03/04 12:37 AM
Top Banana
Top Banana
who got to pay just $4 to vote this time, instead of $14!
/me skids to a halt - you pay to vote over there??????? jawdrop

Yvonne

#201310 11/03/04 01:08 AM
Columnist
Columnist
Laura, it is amazing sometimes what you go through when you go to vote. I have a very unusual last name. In fact anyone with it in the US is related to me. When my mother died it took me several elections telling them when I went to vote that she had pasted away before they finally took her off the rolls. Same with my father. No wonder they don't know what percentage of registered voters really voted.

I feel sorry for those that had so many things to vote on. Where I live they always hold local elections (city council/mayor) seperately. We did that in October.

Anyway I'm just glad the elections are over. Hopefully they will decide who won and we can stop listening to all the name calling soon.

#201311 11/03/04 02:42 AM
Nan Offline
Kerth
Kerth
I walked over to the polling place about noon. There wasn't any line, and no one challenged me. It was gratifyingly non-eventful.

Nan

Earth is the insane asylum for the universe.
#201312 11/03/04 03:22 AM
Y
Top Banana
Top Banana
Y
I got challenged by a Republican challenger because I am (and my whole family is) a registered Democrat in a traditionally Democratic area of Ohio, plus I am young. They were going after young people who might have been voting in their first election and African Americans. I knew it had been in the news, but I hadn't actually expected to be challenged.

News Story

- Laura

#201313 11/03/04 03:34 AM
Hack from Nowheresville
Hack from Nowheresville
Pats on the back to everyone who voted! This IS a great thing for democracy. I guess all the promotional things that went on (especially those geared towards young people...they really went all out!) worked really, really well! And even though I'm alln the way on the other side of the border, everyone I know is on the edge of their chairs.

Can't wait to see how it all turns out!
Mirage smile

Clark: You're really high maintenance, aren't you?

Lois: Yes, but I'm worth it!
Page 1 of 4 1 2 3 4

Moderated by  KSaraSara 

Link Copied to Clipboard