Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Page 1 of 2 1 2
lynnm Offline OP
Top Banana
OP Offline
Top Banana
WooHoo!! Less than 24 hours until Season 4 begins with Crusade. Less than 24 hours until...Lois smile

I'll be looking for you all back here tomorrow night. This should be a good one.

Lynn

You know that boy'd walk on water for you? Or he'd drown tryin'. -Perry White to Lois in Just Say Noah
E
Columnist
Columnist
E
I'm looking forward to seeing it.

I believe there's a hero in all of us that keeps us honest, gives us strength, makes us noble, and finally allows us to die with pride, even though sometimes we have to be steady and give up the thing we want the most. Even our dreams. -- Aunt May, Spider-Man 2
Top Banana
Top Banana
Alright..I'm climbing back on the bandwagon just for Lois. smile1 I hope it'll be worth it.

Since I've been looking forward to ABC's 'LOST' showing at the same time Wednesday night, I actually had TAPE Smallville on my VCR?! It took a while wink since I had to remember how to do it..just another reason to appreciate my TIVO! goofy

See you here for analysis tomorrow.

~Liz

Lois: Can I go?
Clark: No.
Lois: Oh come on, Clark, why do we go through this? We both know I’m going to go.
Clark: Then why do you ask?
Lois: I’m trying to be nice.
Top Banana
Top Banana
And he'll fly in the premiere, right??

And, um...Lois finds Clark in the cornfield somewhat, er...naked-ish. So, there's a beginning for you.

Can't wait...for the flying part, honest.

CC

You mean we're supposed to have lives?

Oh crap!

~Tank
Columnist
Columnist
Glad to see the gang back together. It's been a long, long summer!

SQD (who is really glad to have found others who like oogling... I mean, watching him act... Tom Welling as much as I do)

Merriwether
Merriwether
So are we posting here, or starting a new thread? Oh, what the heck, the topic line was well chosen for full episode discussion. <g>

OK, I'll go on record right now -- I really like this Lois. She had me smiling at the beginning, but by the end, I was grinning ... and the previews for "in coming weeks" had me clapping and ROTFL! I wasn't going to be an easy sell, but based on this first taste, I'm on my way to being sold!

Total kick-*** Lois. Going up against Lionel, and unlike Chloe, not seeming scared. The cigarettes, "gum addiction" and nail biting was great character building ... gee, think this girl is intense? <g>

And I loved the bantering between her and Clark at the end. OMG, this is going to be good. Their eyes just lit up when they went at it! Even when he's snarking on her, he's got that smile just trying to burst out, and she has the same. They totally get off over going at it, LOL! (And now they are going to be living together!! Did I say good? Oh, this is going to be *great*.)

OK, non-Lois comments ... anyone else really HATE the idea that Lana is apparently somehow part of Kal-El's destiny? And I think it's a safe bet that Kal-El will show up again in future episodes ... after all, there are still two more pieces of that puzzle thing to find, right? And, of course, there's my beautiful Lex ... can I still hope that he'll not turn evil? He was looking very fine in that all white suit ... But what the heck did Martha mean when she said she didn't get through working with Lionel unscathed?? Was she just talking about everything that's happened with Clark/Jonathan/Lionel, or is this supposed to be some clue for future revelations?

And OK, I'll admit it, as difficult as it might be for me. Tom Welling has ... muscles. On top of muscles. On top of more muscles. There, I said it. Now just don't make me say it again because that was very difficult for me. wink

Looking forward to seeing what others have to say.

Kathy

Top Banana
Top Banana
Thanks to Canadian cable television (read: morons), I have to wait til Tuesday to see it.

I am not happy.

Julie razz razz razz

Mulder: Imagine if you could come back and take out five people who had caused you to suffer. Who would they be?
Scully: I only get five?
Mulder: I remembered your birthday this year, didn't I, Scully?

(The X-Files)
Columnist
Columnist
Looks like we're off and running!

OK... so at first I was like 'say what?' razz

Well, okay, fine... I just caught on like... three minutes ago!! whinging ... No? I tried! evil

Lex... what can I say? I love this guy! Can't help it. I'm still holding out hope he's a good guy, too! And this 'cleansing the blood thing'. Pop really mucked him up! Poor baby.

Hey, CC, don't think Lionel will chant that mane and tail song this season. Did you see that buzz? Not very attractive. But nice to see he's the same old dirty ba... Well, you got to have somebody to love to hate. cool

Ma Kent... get out of town wit yo' bad self! And that black K-nite!! Totally cool... and spins ideas for a multitude of fic ideas. Has anyone used black before? Got to go check it out... Oh, way off topic. A mother's love,huh? Well, she's really into that boy.

And Pa... for the life of me I can't remember what happened to him. Vaguely recall him being in the cave when Jo-hell(sorry-- can't help it. Every time I think of him, I think 'oh hell')sucked Clark in. Wasn't expecting brain dead daddy, but we all knew he couldn't stay that way.

So, more Dr. Swan, and how 'bout the other Lo'? That's another whole big ol' ball of wax I don't understand yet.

All I can say is bring it on! I'm ready to dive into another year!

SQD

Top Banana
Top Banana
OK, non-Lois comments ... anyone else really HATE the idea that Lana is apparently somehow part of Kal-El's destiny?
Remember that bit where Jor El got it on with Lana's aunt? And all the murky stuff about Lna's parentage?
Well, pretty clear that Jor El is actually Lna's biological father and so she's Clark's half-sister. smile

c

Top Banana
Top Banana
But CC --they already did an ep arc about Henry Small being her biological father, so I don't think so, besides the "Smallville 1960 (Relic)" episode that had Jor-El in it as "Joe" and Lana's Great-Aunt as "Louise" ended with her dying.

Henry Small has disappeared into Smallville's black hole now, but he *is* according to a DNA test, her father.

I believe that Lana and Clark are the reincarnation of the original Kryptonian explorers who came to earth 400 years ago. Since they would have super-powers coming to earth it is easy to believe that the females would have been called warriers.

I liked ED as Lois. I think she nailed the part.She has spunk and seems in character to me. I loved the graveyard scene, Tom Welling's eyes were saying it all as she told him how he couldn't possibly be as weird as she's thinking he is with a mom that cool. He looked at her starstruck, as if he was in love already.

In this continuity of Lois' life, there is no Ellen or Ella Lane...Lois was raised by her DAD. Unlike L&C, where her Dad was kind of a kooky inventor/doctor/professor type, in Smallville, just like the comics, Sam Lane is a hard-nosed military guy. So she has that plucky, independent there's nothing I can't do spirit early on.

And I have to say: TW, MR, and JG are three of the best looking men on television! Yowza!

Chris

"Together we are stronger than each of us is apart"
E
Columnist
Columnist
E
I liked this Lois, too. The only thing I have to say is, since when did Lois smoke? I don't remember that in any of the canon.

I thought the flying thing was cool. I just wish it would have been Clark and not Kal-El.

I believe there's a hero in all of us that keeps us honest, gives us strength, makes us noble, and finally allows us to die with pride, even though sometimes we have to be steady and give up the thing we want the most. Even our dreams. -- Aunt May, Spider-Man 2
Top Banana
Top Banana
ut CC --they already did an ep arc about Henry Small being her biological father, so I don't think so, besides her Aunt was killed ....

Henry Small has disappeared into Smallville's black hole now, but he *is* according to a DNA test, her father.
---
Ah, but is her aunt *really* dead?? 'Gosh, we thought you wrere dead' characters reappear all the time. And do we *really* know that DNA test result is reliable? .... or has it been ... faked? or merely sloppily done? Or... the true results covered up by Lionel/ Lex when they saw that Lana's DNA was a tad too interesting? No question, Henry Small was a diversion.

Trust me - Lana is Clark's half-sister. laugh

c.

Merriwether
Merriwether
I must have missed an episode (or I just plain don't remember; I tend to happily block out anything dealing with Lana) where Lana's aunt died. I thought she just got married and moved away, and Lana wanted to stay in Smallville so she moved in with Chloe.

As for Jor-el and Lana's ... whoever ... though, ROTFL Carol! I doubt you're right, but a very good theory. Heck, at least as good as mine that Chloe = Lois. Of course, we all know how that turned out wink but I give you high points for creative thinking. <g>

SQD wrote:
Ma Kent... get out of town wit yo' bad self!
OMG, ROTFL. This line made me nearly fall out of my chair! Good thing I wasn't drinking or my computer would have flooded out. <g>

Very true ... I was LOVING Martha when she started pounding on Kal-El's chest. "Give me back my son! Give me back my son!!" Great acting from AO (AO'T? <g>) I hope they continue to give Martha good scenes/lines like that. I loved Lois's comment to Clark at the end, too. "You can't be too much of a (something?) if your mom is so cool." Something like that? Gotta love that Martha/Lois female bonding. thumbsup

OH! And did anyone else catch Lois's line about "her type"? "Give me a geek with glasses anyday." rotflol Now there's a great twist on the continuity ... Lois disses Clark because she prefers geeks to pretty boys. wink

OK, this is really fun. I'm glad I have you guys to talk with about stuff like this. <g>

Kathy

lynnm Offline OP
Top Banana
OP Offline
Top Banana
I'm posting this without reading any other comments first. May come back and edit.

LOOOOVVVVEEEDDDD Lois!!!!!!

I loved her. I thought Erica Durance was dead perfect. OMG. She and Tom had major, major chemistry together (did you see his eyes sparkling during their final scene together?). Watching them together was like watching a lit fuse as it approaches a box of firecrackers. She was just the right amount of brazen and obnoxious and intelligent and batty - perfect Lois Lane. Even did a few good Lois Rants. I think she's pretty enough without being so ridiculously beautiful - she and Tom make a gorgeous pair. Lana is more exotic, but I like Lois a gazillion times more. One thing I did notice - she's a big girl. I mean, tall. She made Martha look like a little bitty thing and stood shoulder to shoulder with Tom Welling. I cannot wait to watch as their relationship develops. I have a feeling it's going to keep me on the edge of my seat.

That off my chest. The rest of the show.

Naked Tom Welling. Two times!!! Can I just tell you that I almost started hyperventilating?

And then, as a bonus, bare-chested Michael Rosenbaum. I even said it out loud to my husband (who actually watched this with me although with a few snarky comments) - "I'll bet CC is just about to die."

OK, but enough about the naked guys. I thought the episode as a whole was very good.

Lana - I really liked her boyfriend, and I really liked the two of them together. I think they make a much better couple than Lana and Clark, and I'm not just saying that because I never liked the Clana. Really - I see five gazillion times more chemistry between those two in this one tiny bit than in three past seasons of Clana.

Only thing - WTF was that whole deal with the mystical lady and the tattoo? I'm really not going to like this that they are writing Lana in as part of the Superman mythos. I can handle her as the first love of his life, but to suggest that she has any connection with Krypton and Jor-El and Clark becoming Superman - yuck.

Margot Kidder - how utterly cool that they gave that shout out to her and Christopher Reeves. I must say, I don't think she's aged very well. But it was neat to see her there. A complete torch passing moment.

Lex - can see the evil written on the wall. But damn, that man has the sexy! Whew. /me fans herself.

Which leads me to Lionel - who looks much better with short hair IMO. Still looks like evil on a stick. I loved the exchange between him and Lois. How she stood her own. Like I said, I could not have asked for a better portrayal of Lois.

Clark - yep. That's my boy!! I like how they had him play a Kal-El who wasn't the same as Clark-on-Red-K-Kal-El. He seemed ruthless and emotionless, but not downright evil. And he had the great Evil Kal-El hair. I sure hope TPTB maintain that and don't make him go back to his high school boy do.

What can I say about the flying? Soooo much better than (sorry for the sacrilege) anything shown on LnC. It actually seemed real - like what I would imagine Superman's flying to be. I'm more than a little sad that we won't be seeing it too much, if at all, but then again, I don't like the suit that much so I can live with no flights if it means no tights.

I loved it. The entire episode. I cannot wait for this season. Looks to be a good one, that is if
A) they don't return to the Clana
B) they don't go back to the FOTW plotlines
C) they don't torture us relentlessly with will-they-won't they Lois/Clark interactions. But this one - hey, this is the good kind of pain. wink

OK, now off to read the other comments. It's good to be back building sandcastles with you guys!

Lynn

Edit: I'm back!! Told you I might be.

Kathy - I went back and read your post and laughed. You and I were sharing the same brain last night <g>. We had exactly - EXACTLY - the same thoughts, I swear.

And yes. <sigh> Tom's got muscles on top of muscles. I absolutely loved Lois's line "Guess I got a thing for lost puppies and naked guys." ROTFLMAO!! That and the "Look at his face." Dead spot-on Lois.

As for the missing episode - Kathy, I think the one you must have missed was that whole flashback episode. It implied that at some point, Jor-El came down to Earth and had a brief fling with Lana's aunt, Louise. Louise and Jor-El "Joe" fell in love but he had to return to Krypton without her but it didn't matter because she got shot and died. It was kind of an episode designed to let all of the Clana fans get vicarious grins when Tom and Kristen got it on in the guise of Louise and Joe.

Even so, IRCC, Lana's entire involvement with the meteor shower was limited to her parents' deaths. Tragic, yes, but I don't believe she had any contact with the meteor stuff itself. So I still don't know how they get off connecting her with SM mythos. It's going to annoy me big time.

And yes - Martha Kent - she's one kick-a** mamma. I've heard rumor that she's going to step up quite a bit this season. Actually have more to do than just bake muffins. Although, I have to tell you that the lowest moment for me in last night's epi was during the hospital scene when she started platidude-ing about "this family" yada yada yada. Is this the Waltons or what?

L.

You know that boy'd walk on water for you? Or he'd drown tryin'. -Perry White to Lois in Just Say Noah
Hack from Nowheresville
Hack from Nowheresville
I was pretty amused by the premiere. Naturally I was skeptical of this Lois at first, but by the end of the episode she had me smiling, too. This actress is doing a much better job than I could have imagined any of the other women the casting directors had in mind doing... I mean, in this role. It helps that she's kind of an unknown, too... suspension of belief and all that. My only complaint is that it seemed like they were trying to throw too much info. about her at us in the first episode, like her speech about how she started smoking. Like someone already said, we found out about her gum thing and nailbiting, but to me that just seems a lot for the first episode, like "Hi, here's Lois Lane. Here are five fun facts about her. Okay, character established." Okay, okay, I know we actually know very little about her, still, but... Okay, I admit it, I always have issues when new characters arrive on established TV shows. frown I'll probably be over this by next week. laugh I mean it's Lois after all.

Originally posted by lynnm:

What can I say about the flying? Soooo much better than (sorry for the sacrilege) anything shown on LnC. It actually seemed real - like what I would imagine Superman's flying to be.
It was quite cool, but remember that special effects have come a long way in the last seven/eight years. Lots of the cool things we see on Smallville probably wouldn't have been possible in the mid-90's. frown Eh, but I like L&C the way it is. I swear if someone were to go back and digitally "improve" things, I'd start a riot. wildguy

Molly
Top Banana
Top Banana
OK, so it was worth it.. wink

Was a little confused throughout since I haven't been watching but no problems understanding a naked TW..yaooww! drool Loved the red blanket.

Nice casting on Lois, she is certainly filling LL's shoes. Determined, feisty, beautiful and self-sufficient. She even babbled! They certainly have loads of chemistry and the previews were a hoot! Looking forward to that bathroom scene. HA!

I thought Margot Kidder looked pretty good considering what she's been through lately in her RL. Very nice touch.

HATE that they are dragging Lana into this whole thing..if it turns out she plays a role I will be very disappointed. Cool special effects when she got blasted in that church. Yummy boyfriend!

Another thing I don't really like and it may be b/c I haven't been watching but I hated that it looks like Kal-El is an evil alien bent on taking over the world? What happened to Clark Kent using his developed powers for good because he was raised by honest, decent people? Ah well, if it makes for good tv...

What can I say about the flying? Soooo much better than (sorry for the sacrilege) anything shown on LnC. It actually seemed real - like what I would imagine Superman's flying to be.
DITTO...VERY cool..too bad it was a one shot deal. cool

I think this season is going to be FUN.. hyper

~Liz

Lois: Oh come on, Clark, why do we go through this? We both know I’m going to go.
A
Anonymous
Unregistered
Anonymous
Unregistered
A
Don't know if this has been brought up yet, but I liked the flying style. I never really cared for Dean's flying pose, even his sexy self couldn't overcome that "bent knee" thing, but Tom had a perfect form for his figure, like a rocket. Then again the pose could all depend on the speed and reason for the flight. I know Dean would go into a more determined pose if he had to get there fast. If Tom was just dropping a friend off at the movies I suppose the "Rocket" pose wouldn't work.

So here's me going over flying logistics. *Sigh* I need a better hobby.

NAAAAAAAH!

EDIT: Okay so the flying was touched on, sorry to pummel an expired quadraped.
TEEEEEEJ

Merriwether
Merriwether
As for the missing episode - Kathy, I think the one you must have missed was that whole flashback episode. It implied that at some point, Jor-El came down to Earth and had a brief fling with Lana's aunt, Louise.
Ah, I get it now. I did see that ep, and knew Carol was referencing it, but I was thinking about the Aunt that raised Lana (the one who kept hitting on Jonathan in the pilot) as being the one people were saying was dead. Not sure how the Lang family tree branches, but clearly there must have been more than one sister. <g>

And LOL, Lynn, about us sharing a brain last night. I was laughing as I was reading your post, too, thinking the same thing. (Though as someone else pointed out, the special effects available to L&C were different from what's available now. It would be like comparing the Superman Movie special effects to L&C -- it's apples to oranges. But TJ's point about the body position is a good one ... our Clark was often carrying Lois; I guess we'll just have to hope we get an episode where TW does the same thing so we can compare. wink )

Liz asked:
Another thing I don't really like and it may be b/c I haven't been watching but I hated that it looks like Kal-El is an evil alien bent on taking over the world? What happened to Clark Kent using his developed powers for good because he was raised by honest, decent people?
It's because you haven't been watching that you're confused. Clark *is* a good and decent person and he *hates* what Jor-El is trying to do to him. Jor-El has said that Kal-El is there to conquer, which is extremely upsetting to Clark (not to mention the Kents.) The Kents keep telling him that he is in charge of his own destiny, that Jor-El can't make him do anything. Though from what we've been seeing at the end of last season and the beginning of this one, he sure as heck is pretty powerful when it comes to brainwashing Clark into being something he's not!

Kathy (surprised CC hasn't weighed in yet. smile )

Top Banana
Top Banana
It's because you haven't been watching that you're confused. Clark *is* a good and decent person and he *hates* what Jor-El is trying to do to him. Jor-El has said that Kal-El is there to conquer, which is extremely upsetting to Clark (not to mention the Kents.) The Kents keep telling him that he is in charge of his own destiny, that Jor-El can't make him do anything. Though from what we've been seeing at the end of last season and the beginning of this one, he sure as heck is pretty powerful when it comes to brainwashing Clark into being something he's not!
OK, sorry to comment when I'm coming late to the party..I get it now. So 'evil' Kal-El is a result of Jor-El's brainwashing? Check. wink

Loved Martha kicking some butt for her baby..nothing like the power of a mom defending her young!

~Liz

PS. TEEEJ, you can comment anytime..you had me lol

Top Banana
Top Banana
surprised CC hasn't weighed in yet.
I know. Forgive my tardiness, but I'm ready.

MR...took his shirt off... off...completely. And I was so busy watching that little bead of sweat slip down his perfect swimmer's body torso that I missed every word they were saying. Something about "every 72 hours, you have to...yadda yadda <bead of sweat moves>or if you don't...<bead of sweat stops indecisively for a moment>...you will die." <bead of sweat says, 'oh yeah, this way,' and continues>

Sigh.

Was there more after that? I don't remember.

Mark the day and time, friends of TW, because MacDad and I are in one accord on last night's most Awesome Hour of Television Ever.

Oh man. The flying. I see we've covered it. But so, so, so zoomy and cool! Watching him chase down Lex's jet! And really, though I know that blows everything, I would have loved to see the look on my bald-headed white-suited boyfriend's face if he had seen Clark Kent rip the door open.

I'm almost finished discussing him, but love how we went from last year's poison-induced swan dive into the glass table straight to a scene right out of Indiana Jones.

After which he took his shirt completely off...did I mention?

And that we have Lex- who I am nearly finished discussing- all in white and our Kal-el all in black. Role reversal most fine.

Love Kal-el. Love the depiction of the internal struggle, CK vs Kryptonian in that cave knock down.

Lois was dead perfect from the first second.

Black kryptonite is entirely new on me, and apparently used for exorcisms.

I'm with Liz...I think it was Liz...considering the rough road, I thought Margot Kidder looked good.

The red blanket. And what was underneath it. Yes. Thank you. I'm thinking TW spent some time at the gym this summer.

Lana and the dude formerly of Days of Our Lives...um...ok. Think they are fine. Cute together. I vote we spin them off and get them their own show!

CC

(Oh, and Chloe isn't dead!!!)

Oh crap!

~Tank
T
Merriwether
Merriwether
T
Okay, I don't watch Smallville. I actually dislike the show intensely. And I still don't like the show. It still has many of the same flaws it's always had. You still have many bad actors trying to play roles ten years younger than they actually are. That bugs me... alot.

I found the plot rather silly, and all the convoluted subplots are pretty far-fetched.

I have to admit that most of my 'knowledge' of the show comes from ads, conversations on MBs, and reviews. But nothing I've gleaned from those sources really have prompted me to change my opinion much. I really hate the hash that the producers and writers have made of the mythology. I guess you just have to look at it as an 'Elseworlds' version of how Clark might have turned out if imagined by a nutcase.

All that said, being a Lois fanatic, I had to check out the premiere just to check out the Smallville version of Lois Lane. That fact that it screws up the mythology something fierce aside. I give kudos to Erica's portrayal. The woman can actually act, which makes her stand out in that cast.

I think her version of Lois was good. A little too neurotic, but some nice touches, like the babbling, and her ability to 'be in control' of situations she finds herself in. Nice little confrontation with Lionel near the end.

Any bets on who suggests glasses to Clark eventually.

Tank (who really had to cringe when Margot Kidder showed up... Black Kryptonite?... come on, can they get any lamer?)

E
Columnist
Columnist
E
Tank (who really had to cringe when Margot Kidder showed up... Black Kryptonite?... come on, can they get any lamer?)
At least it wasn't rainbow kryptonite, or sparkly shimmery pink, or something.

Hmm. Methinks there should be a challenge to come up with the silliest form of kryptonite, especially with wacky side effects.

wink

Top Banana
Top Banana
You know, I have to add: Margot Kidder is 56 years old and she still has a darn nice figure! She is older than Annette O'Toole by about 6-7 years, also. Because she hasn't been in films or on TV recently, everyone expects her to look like she did in 1978 when she was 30 (she was born in 1948).

Let's cut her some slack! Yes, she does look older at 56 than she did at age 30 --of course she does! And I"m sure she knew she would get this kind of criticism making a reappearance so many years after the last Superman film aired (1984 was it?) - Superman IV was horrible, I want to forget about it if I can.

OK, I'm off my soapbox. Can you tell I turned 50 this year and I'm a bit age-sensitive <g>?

Chris

Top Banana
Top Banana
I guess you just have to look at it as an 'Elseworlds' version of how Clark might have turned out if imagined by a nutcase.
That is exactly how I've always seen it...well...except the 'if imagined by a nutcase' tag at the end.

I think of Smallville as an Elseworlds tale, pure and simple. An interesting way to bring all the players onto the canvas, still familiar, but circumstances completely different. Which is why I have no trouble with the canon being twisted into a pretzel.

But that's just me. I've always been a liberal.

And Chris, going by your posts, you are young where it counts!

CC

Oh crap!

~Tank
T
Merriwether
Merriwether
T
Being over the half-century mark myself I'd never make a crack based on age. I never liked Margot Kidder.

I thought she was an awful choice for Lois Lane in the movies, and a bad actress to boot. I'm a Lois fan. I have Lois Lane sketches, and photos a plenty in my personal collection. I have none with Margot Kidder as Lois.

This is not a thread to bash or praise Ms. Kidder, so I'll stop here. I just wanted Chris, and others to know that I wasn't critizing the woman because she didn't look like she did nearly thirty years ago.

Tank (who was never all that impressed with how Ms. Kidder looked thirty years ago either)

lynnm Offline OP
Top Banana
OP Offline
Top Banana
Totally agree with Chris on the fact that considering the public's complete obsession with youth and our insane expectation that people in the entertainment industry should always look young and beautiful, frozen in time, the fact that Margot Kidder is still swinging in the industry is fabulous. She did look great figure-wise. I just was noting that her face hasn't aged as gracefully as some other actresses' have. I'm thinking Glen Close, Meryl Steep. Susan Sarandon. But, then too, I know that Ms Kidder has had some additional hardships in her life that might contribute to her situation.

I'll never knock someone because of their age. I'm not getting any younger, and as I watch myself changing over the years, it gets scarier and scarier!!

But...I agree with Tank. I never liked Margot Kidder as Lois Lane, even when she was at her youngest and most beautiful (and, no offense to Ms Kidder, I use the term loosely). I know LL is supposed to be this tough, rough-around-the-edges hard-nosed reporter, but MK took it just too far for me. She is by far my least favorite incarnation of LL. Then again, I loved Christopher Reeves as Superman but didn't much like his Clark Kent. Not that it was CR's fault - he acted well. I just didn't like how in the SM movies CK was written and portrayed as a bumbling nerdish geek. I prefer "mild-mannered" over total buffoon.

Lynn

K
Beat Reporter
Beat Reporter
K
/me tiptoes in here and checks the water level...

Okay, so I promised Kathy I'd stop in once I'd finished watching my tape <g>. I have to preface my review by saying that I haven't watched Smallville since season 1, and only then to throw things at the television most of the time wink By chance I did see last week's rerun of the cliffhanger, and I had heard Lois would be showing up this week, so I figured I'd tune in. So here are my thoughts, in no coherent order:

I did like Lois. Personality-wise (and minus the smoking) I could almost see her as our Lois's little sister or something. I liked her tendency to babble to fill in uncomfortable silence, and to justify her addictions to complete strangers <g>. She has a great, sort of sly smile. And I can see her as Chloe's cousin.

Tom is definitely a well-built guy (and a lot closer to my age than, say, Dean Cain <g>) but he still reminds me too much of my brother to be attractive <g>. Kal El was a little creepy for me. And did that part of the episode seemed to get wrapped up kind of quickly, or was it just me? It felt almost lopsided, like the conflict got resolved too soon and then they didn't know what to do with the rest of the hour.

Having never seen the Superman movies (gasp! yes, I know <g>), I knew Margot Kidder was in this ep but I didn't have much of a reaction to her. The black kryptonite was a little hokey, but worse to me was the scene of Clark fighting himself with it wink

I'm glad to see Lex isn't dead, as I still think he's the most interesting person on this show <g>. But for how long is he going to have to do this blood purifying thing? Forever?

Lana's encounter with her boyfriend threw me for a loop. "Can you do me a favor?" "Only if it doesn't get me arrested." I said to Kathy, sheesh, what kind of people does she hang out with?! But it was all a cutesy charade. Weird, the fact that she's dating someone normal makes me like her better. Here's hoping he doesnt' turn into some sort of mutant or supervillain or Kryptonian spy...

And, okay... I really liked Chloe way back when, and I'm sorry she died, but just once I wish a character would stay dead...

But after all, I'll be tuning in again next week, so it couldn't have been too bad <g>

Kaylle

Blogger
Blogger
Here's what the Lana fans are saying. The premiere went at 5.50 ratings but it's the lowest amongst the rest. Al Gough and company are disappointed about the ratings and that nobody was interested in Lois and she didn't deliver.

Want the latest news on the most popular "Gal Reporter Extraordinaire"? Hurry up and join http://groups.yahoo.com/group/Loisfans/ for everything Lois Lane!
Top Banana
Top Banana
I'm going to pop back in to say: Tank, didn't mean to imply you were shallow... CC - thanks for the (left-handed) compliment (I am a little immature, comes from being the youngest in my family and the only girl to boot!); LynnM - thanks for understanding where I was coming from.

Superman: The Movie has always been special to me- it was my first date with my now ex-husband (one of my few fond memories <g>), and the song "Can you Read My Mind" by John Williams is probably my all-time favorite (not the version with Margot Kidder talking thru it, the orchestral version they play during the ending credits, which lasts about 15 minutes at least...)

Since the only Lois I had to compare her to at the time was Noel Neill, I just accepted Margot Kidder as Lois.

And, at the time (1978), Clark was still a nerd, and CR was able to really make you believe they could be two separate people - he slouched and stammered as Clark Kent...I thought the change was pretty amazing.

Along comes John Byrne and now Clark Kent was a football hero in high school, and not a nerd at all...just a very polite guy, raised in the Midwest, with old-fashioned morals. But never a nerd, and always attractive.

I didn't watch L&C when it was on - I started watching it 1.5 years ago when it was on re-runs on TBS last summer. I got hooked on it, and Teri Hatcher's Lois was and always will be, fabulous. No comparison to MK.

However, in 1978, the Lois that MK was playing was the comic book version: the woman who was in love with Superman, always scheming for ways to get him to marry her, trying to prove that Clark was secretly Superman, and being generally annoying and hyper.

I don't know where Smallville is going to end up, now that Lois has become part of the Smallville Elseworld continuity. But quite honestly, someone I met when I was 19 and then didn't catch up with again until I was 26-27 - who would really remember (except for that naked butt shot - now *that* is truly memorable - whew!)

My ideal ending for the series would be a la Dawson's Creek - take the series in the future to Clark's first day at the Daily Planet - meeting Perry, Jimmy (sorry Tank!), and Lois = and showing him do one Superman rescue. That, for me, would bring things full circle. Plus all the actors, just like Dawson's Creek's finale, could finally get to play the age they actually are <g>!

And with that, I close this thread for the evening!

Chris

Top Banana
Top Banana
My predictions for the 2004-2005 Season:

1)Lois and Clark were predestined to meet in that corn field because she is his soul mate, as described in those infamous caves, and she somehow helps him to balance his earthly humanity and his Kryptonian heritage, including his powers. He transitions to Superman because of knowing her.

2)Lana and Clark are the reincarnation of Kryptonians that visited earth 400 years ago. Lana's tie to Clark could be: in that life, they were mother and son, or husband and wife, or father and daughter. She would have been considered a warrier princess at that time since she would have had super-powers under earth's lighter gravity and yellow sun.

3)Jason Teague, who the bio says is the son of a rich Metropolis businessman (Morgan Edge? another illegimate son of Lionel Luthor?) is in Smallville to spy on Clark. He followed Lana to Paris to try to find out what she knew about Clark - why else would someone like that, supposedly in college, take a job part time IN SMALLVILLE as a football coach? Just for love? Good God, the guy is good-looking, he could get anyone! Since Clark is on the football team this year, it's a good way to be around Clark too. By the end of the season, his agenda will be clear and he will break Lana's heart - Lois will be gone by then and Lana will run straight into Clark's waiting arms (UGH).

4)Lionel Luthor will stay in jail and Lex will continue to get power-hungry, running Luthor Corp. He wil realize somehow that Clark is responsible for stealing the crystal and since LEx now realizes he has some invulnerability powers (survived a plane crash, survived being poisoned), his ego will become massive, and he will really obsess about Clark. By the season's end, Lex will have virtually embraced the dark side.

5) Apparently Martha Kent takes over the Talon (about time an adult actually ran it - who has time to run a coffee shop and actually attend high school, too?)

6) By the end of the season, Clark confides in Lana about his heritage, because it becomes obvious that they have a previous-life connection. Clark embraces his Kryptonian heritage and floats Lana up in the sky (a la Smallville: 1961 - Relic) - Lana understands all of the reasons that Clark has acted strangely since she's known him - realizes that she will always love him - but he tells her that he now realizes that his purpose on earth is to save lives and fight for truth justice and the American way - and he breaks her heart (just like in Man of Steel by John Byrne)

By May we'll see how good I was!!

Chris

Page 1 of 2 1 2

Moderated by  KSaraSara 

Link Copied to Clipboard