Next Thread
Print Thread
Page 1 of 2 1 2
#200303 07/18/04 02:05 AM
Wendymr Offline OP
Pulitzer
OP Offline
Pulitzer
Apologies for using this medium rather than private email, but although we have broadband access where I currently am, for some reason it doesn't like my laptop and so I can't (yet) send email.

Just letting all who are interested know that we have arrived safely in Canada and gone through the immigration procedures - we are now Canadian permanent residents!! smile1 Currently staying in Toronto; tomorrow we drive down to London and start house-hunting. And once we find a house and have our permanent resident cards, we'll be off on that big trip I've mentioned to some people - looking forward to seeing those who live on or near our path! wave

Wendy (very tired, but very happy party )

Just a fly-by! *waves*
Top Banana
Top Banana
Yay! Glad you made it. I'm so excited for you! smile1

Yvonne

Top Banana
Top Banana
Glad you arrived safely, Wendy! smile Talk to you soon, I hope! We already miss you lots on this side of the Atlantic!

Kaethel smile

- I'm your partner. I'm your friend.
- Is that what we are?
- Oh, you know what? I don't know what we are. We kiss and then we never talk about it. We nearly die frozen in each other's arms, but we never talk about it, so no, I got no clue what we are.

~ Rick Castle and Kate Beckett ~ Knockout ~
Pulitzer
Pulitzer
Congratulations!

I still think it is a hoot that you are going to live in London , Canada.

James

“…with God everything is possible.” Matthew 19:26.

Also read Nan's Terran Underground!
Merriwether
Merriwether
YAY! Glad you made it safely!

"You need me. You wouldn't be much of a hero without a villain. And you do love being the hero, don't you. The cheering children, the swooning women, you love it so much, it's made you my most reliable accomplice." -- Lex Luthor to Superman, Question Authority, Justice League Unlimited
T
Merriwether
Merriwether
T
Wendy moved?

Tank (who wonders how he missed that)

Y
Top Banana
Top Banana
Y
Welcome to this side of the Atlantic, Wendy smile . I hadn't realized you were moving so soon. (Gosh, I've really been away from IRC.) I'm glad you make it safely.

Did you know London, Ontario Canada is directly across Lake Erie from Cleveland, Ohio US?

- Laura smile

Laura "The Yellow Dart" U. (Alicia U. on the archive)

"A hero is an ordinary individual who finds the strength to persevere and endure in spite of overwhelming obstacles." -- Christopher Reeve
Beat Reporter
Beat Reporter
Yay!!! This is great, Wendy! smile1

Methos: "I'm easily amused."

(Indiscretions - Highlander: The Series)
Top Banana
Top Banana
Way to go, Wendy!

Just remember - keep on the right side of the road <g>.

And I'm sure I'll see you soon - London's on the way between Chicago and Buffalo when we take the Detroit/Canada/Niagra Falls route.

Congrats,
Lynn

You know that boy'd walk on water for you? Or he'd drown tryin'. -Perry White to Lois in Just Say Noah
Merriwether
Merriwether
Welcome to the New World, Wendy! laugh

Good luck with the house-hunting. smile

Do you know the most surprising thing about divorce? It doesn't actually kill you, like a bullet to the heart or a head-on car wreck. It should. When someone you've promised to cherish till death do you part says, "I never loved you," it should kill you instantly.

- Under the Tuscan Sun
Merriwether
Merriwether
Welcome to Canada!

At least you are not living in Toronto (which way do you say it?) It is a common joke here to dislike pple from Toronto. Maybe you have to live here to get it.

I hope you like London and I'm glad you made it here in one piece!

Now...you live in a multi-cultural country...BUT you now must love hockey. Repeat "I love hockey, I love hockey." It's not ice-hockey, it's hockey. Now everyone will think you live in an igloo.

Here are some funny sites:

So you wanna be...

operation

We don\'t live in igloos.

I've converted to lurk-ism... hopefully only temporary.
Top Banana
Top Banana
Glad you made it safely to the other side, Wendy. smile Have lots of fun in your new life!

Saskia

I tawt I taw a puddy cat!
Boards Chief Administrator Emeritus
Nobel Peace Prize Winner
Boards Chief Administrator Emeritus
Nobel Peace Prize Winner
That was quick! thumbsup

Do you have a Canadian accent yet? <g>

LabRat smile

Athos: If you'd told us what you were doing, we might have been able to plan this properly.
Aramis: Yes, sorry.
Athos: No, no, by all means, let's keep things suicidal.

The Musketeers
Wendymr Offline OP
Pulitzer
OP Offline
Pulitzer
Thanks, guys! smile Roo, thank you for those hilarious sites - we've just been laughing our heads off at them. lol No, no Canadian accent yet, but we've known what a Timbit is for four years now (for the uninitiated, go here and click on What's in Store, then donuts/timbits).

Wendy smile

Just a fly-by! *waves*
Top Banana
Top Banana
Can I just tell you, Tim Hortons is my all time favorite place to get doughnuts. Plus I'm told they have excellent coffee. No joke - my husband had sent away for information about opening a TH franchise here in Chicago, but alas, legalities don't allow TH franchises in Illinois at this time. In the meantime, we get our fix everytime we head to NY. On our way out of Buffalo last week, we picked up half a dozen doughnuts and they were gone before we reached Toledo. wink

Lynn

You know that boy'd walk on water for you? Or he'd drown tryin'. -Perry White to Lois in Just Say Noah
Pulitzer
Pulitzer
Congratulations, Wendy!

AnnaBtG. smile

What we've got here is failure to communicate...
Y
Top Banana
Top Banana
Y
thumbsup Tim Horton's does have the best coffee as well as the best donuts! My roommate and I sometimes drive the 5 hours to the Canadian border to get Duty Free alcohol and Tim Horton's coffee and donuts! When we were in Toronto a few months ago, I'll bet we went to Tim Hortons 2-3 times a day for an iced coffee fix laugh (we don't even like donuts that much wink ).

- Laura smile

Laura "The Yellow Dart" U. (Alicia U. on the archive)

"A hero is an ordinary individual who finds the strength to persevere and endure in spite of overwhelming obstacles." -- Christopher Reeve
Columnist
Columnist
Yay! I've been thinking about you and John all weekend, Wendy, and I'm very glad to see that you've arrived safely!

Irene
doing the happy dance because she's going to see Wendy and John soon! party

(Oh, yeah, any ideas when???)

P.S. If you want to stop in Kitchener briefly on your way to London tomorrow, I'm working from 12 to 5 in the afternoon, but I don't expect it to be busy so I could probably slip away for a little while, or a long while, because I am the boss after all, and I do deserve to enjoy the perks once in a while, and, um, what was my point again? Oh yeah, if you're not in a hurry, you could stop by to say 'hello'... or not, I don't want to be pushy!

I try to take one day at a time, but sometimes several days attack me at once.
Boards Chief Administrator
Beat Reporter
Beat Reporter
And don't forget visiting European FoLCs want a swimming pool.
And visiting Americans want a spa. <G>

Glad you had a safe trip, don't forget to get your number out when you get your new cell!!

Can't wait to see you!!

Annette wink

www.kerthawards.com
www.lcficmbs.com
www.folcvideo.com
www.nfanfic.net
www.annesplace.net

"There is nothing wrong with America that cannot be cured by what is right with America." Bill Clinton, inaugural address, January 21, 1993
T
Pulitzer
Pulitzer
T
Wendy, I'm so glad you arrived safely. smile1

Tricia cool

Columnist
Columnist
Wendy and John,
I am so glad that you picked up on my subtle hint and decided to drop by the store this afternoon. It was great to see you both!

I'll call you tomorrow about the weekend.

Irene
still smiling! smile1

I try to take one day at a time, but sometimes several days attack me at once.
Wendymr Offline OP
Pulitzer
OP Offline
Pulitzer
Well, it's been a very interesting day! Got to see Irene again ( smile1

[Linked Image]

Wendy smile

Just a fly-by! *waves*
G
Columnist
Columnist
G
Welcome to the true north strong and free, Wendy.

Hope you enjoyed the trip from Toronto to London.

Nice set of wheels.

If you're ever back in the Toronto area, let me know.

gerry

Top Banana
Top Banana
Wendy, you say you can't *send* emails, but can you *read* them?

Yvonne smile

Hack from Nowheresville
Hack from Nowheresville
Congrats! You got to Canada safely, AND your permanent Canandian Residents!!!! I'm so happy for you! I wish I could ride in a Lois Lane jeep! Hope your having a blast!!! Ride around the block for me in that Jeep will you? wink lol! Congrats again!!!!!!

Later Days!
Andie

Am I gay? I'm ECSTATIC!

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
Thanks Weisz and Rae for the Rockin Icon.
Wendymr Offline OP
Pulitzer
OP Offline
Pulitzer
Yvonne, yes, I can receive emails on my usual account, but at the moment can't send from that account, which is irritating - but I have just set up a free webmail account and will use that.

So, anyone waiting for an email from me, or who has sent me mail and hasn't had a reply, be patient - I'll get to it as soon as I can. We're out and about house-hunting at present, as well as sorting out other things.

Thanks for the good wishes, all! And, Gerry, I'll definitely be in Toronto again in the next few months. thumbsup

Wendy smile

Just a fly-by! *waves*
N
Freelance Reporter
Freelance Reporter
N
Not sure if this is too late, but...

Try setting your outgoing mail server to be the server you're using to connect. In other words, if the Hilton mail server is mail.hilton.com, that's what you want your outgoing server to be.

I could go into the technical mumbo-jumbo of why you don't have to change the incoming mail server settings, but I am not sure anyone cares... wink

Wendymr Offline OP
Pulitzer
OP Offline
Pulitzer
Hi Noelle,

Thanks for the suggestion - it prompted us to try pinging the Hilton mail server (which, apparently, is mail.promus.com) - it seems to be down, which would explain why outgoing mail won't go. Receiving mail works just fine. Anyway, for now I have a webmail account through which I'm sending mail, so it's not insurmountable! smile

Oh, and news... we've had an offer accepted on a house! The survey was completed yesterday, with an excellent report, so it's all systems go for moving in mid-September. Before then, Grand Tour of Canada and the Northern US, here we come! smile1

Wendy smile

Just a fly-by! *waves*
Pulitzer
Pulitzer
Well let us know how far north in the US you will be Wendy maybe some of us could meet you again. Laura

Clark: “If we can be born in an instant, and die in an instant, why can’t we fall in love in an instant?”

Caroline's "Stardust"
Freelance Reporter
Freelance Reporter
Hi Wendy,

Welcome to Canada!
Wow, I'm impressed - you found a house already. How far across Canada are you planning to travel? I am from Vancouver, British Columbia but currently in Pittsburgh, PA, USA for school.

And once we find a house and have our permanent resident cards, we'll be off on that big trip I've mentioned to some people - looking forward to seeing those who live on or near our path!
A permanent resident card? Hmm ... I don't recall ever having one back when I first immigrated to Canada in 1990. Just had some paper stapled to my passport. But then again, I was 8 back then and didn't care much about such things. :p

Cheers,
Simba

Check out my social-networking game I created just for FoLCs: http://folc.mindkin.com
Merriwether
Merriwether
My family is from England...well my biological family is. Rest are scattered around Britan. Every once in a while we get a visitor come over. They are always facinated by the prairies - how flat everything is and how it seems to go on forever and then bam, a few hours off the edge of it and you get mountains. Well I don't know if you've been in that area before, or plan on going, I just thought I'd say I think it's cool. Then again, lots of pple think it's boring too! LOL. Any of you know what it's like driving through Manitoba, Saskatchewan and Alberta. Ack. Ten hours of torture.

Can I tell you a funny story? Well I guess no one will stop me b/c no one is here.....eh hem..

I had a prof from Scotland. He's the best. He came to Canada and thought he'd take the post offered in Winnipeg b/c he thought he could go up to Churchill on the weekend to do some of his studies.....little did he know Churchill is so far and HARD to get to !!! LOL. He thought it was just a hop, skip and a jump from Winnipeg. Poor fool. He said he was used to the small distances he found in Europe and his home island.

The sad part is he did his PhD on earth sciences. He was a geographer!!!!! rotflol

He retired a few years ago and now works at a bike store (a chain one here in the city). It is his hobby and decided to work there more. He did both before.

I've converted to lurk-ism... hopefully only temporary.
E
Columnist
Columnist
E
Congrats on your safe move.

I believe there's a hero in all of us that keeps us honest, gives us strength, makes us noble, and finally allows us to die with pride, even though sometimes we have to be steady and give up the thing we want the most. Even our dreams. -- Aunt May, Spider-Man 2
Top Banana
Top Banana
I already said it, but I'll say it again: welcome to Canada! smile

Of course you have to pass by Toronto sometime soon. wink

Julie hyper

P.S
At least you are not living in Toronto (which way do you say it?) It is a common joke here to dislike pple from Toronto. Maybe you have to live here to get it.
Since when?????

Mulder: Imagine if you could come back and take out five people who had caused you to suffer. Who would they be?
Scully: I only get five?
Mulder: I remembered your birthday this year, didn't I, Scully?

(The X-Files)
Page 1 of 2 1 2

Moderated by  KSaraSara 

Link Copied to Clipboard