Lois & Clark Fanfic Message Boards
Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Page 2 of 2 1 2
Pulitzer
Pulitzer
Yes Cris and Jose, I am so sorry for your loss and your pain. I live in NY and was very depressed after the 9-11 attack on the Trade Center. I knew people who were involved there and I had been on top of that building 1 year earlier. It was devistating. I understand. I hope you have some good people around you to help you get through this tough time.

When terrorism hits home it is hard to describe how it feels. You feel angry and vulnerable and frightened and like the rug has been pulled out from under your feet. It is very Surreal and it takes a while for things to feel normal again and safe.

You need to appreciate all you do have and all those you love more now then ever. Go give someone a hug! I send you both a hug from me. Laura

Clark: “If we can be born in an instant, and die in an instant, why can’t we fall in love in an instant?”

Caroline's "Stardust"
MLT Offline
Merriwether
Merriwether
Your entire country is in my thoughts and prayers tonight.

ML

She was in such a good mood she let all the pedestrians in the crosswalk get to safety before taking off again.
- CC Aiken, The Late Great Lois Lane
T
Pulitzer
Pulitzer
T
Cris and Jose

I'm so gald that you, your family and friends are safe.

I heard about this on this morning's news. Here they are saying that over 190 are dead and that Al-Qaeda is claiming responsibility. sad

My thoughts are with you at this horrible time.

Tricia. frown

Kerth
Kerth
Thank you for your kind words smile

Yeah, the MO didn't seem ETA's but they tried something similar on Xmas Eve mad (it was aborted by police) and the other day they caught a big amount of explosive... the same one found here.

It seems, however, that the plan failed since the idea was that the two first trains would explode inside the train station so the strength of it would have destroyed the whole building... /me shudders

Jose wave

"Practice up your shielding spells...and remember to duck if you see green light coming your way."

Harry Potter to Wizengamot in OotP trial

A Bad Week in the Wizengamot
A
Anonymous
Unregistered
Anonymous
Unregistered
A
Thanks for the link Cris.

I got an email from one of my colleague this morning, but still no news from the other.

I know I tend to worry easily, but the thing is she usually commutes via Atocha station.

Seems I can't access the victim list (I'm on a Mac), but a french colleague tried from a PC and all he could connect to was the wounded list and the hospital they were directed to. She's not among them. I really hope she's okay.

Take care,

Carole

Nan Offline
Kerth
Kerth
Cris and Jose, I'm glad you're okay, but this kind of thing infuriates me beyond words. People like this, who attack innocent people to make a political point are the worst kind of cowards. I hope all your friends are okay, and we're thinking of you here in my country.

Nan

Earth is the insane asylum for the universe.
Beat Reporter
OP Offline
Beat Reporter
Wow!

Thanks everyone for your kind words!!!

Joy, it was perfectly said smile

First of all, I'd like to say that, today, more than ever, I'm proud to be a Spaniard. Just so the numebrs make some sense to you. Spain is divided into 17 autonomies or autonomical comunities, Madrid being one of them. The population in Madrid is of around 5 million people, and I just got back from a demonstration at Madrid (city) where there were 2.3 million people. In the whole country, oput of a 40 million population, over 11 milllion have hits the streets in different cities this afternoon. It was amazing!!!!!! And despite all teh hurt and pain, it's great to say there is still compasion and unity in the people.

As for the news about the attack, last time I checked the deaths were already at 198, but with many yet to be identified (me shudders). The reports are giving the letter supposedly belonging to Al-Qaeda little credibility. They're inclined to think it's a fake and, honestly, I kind of think so to. It lacks the religious intensity integrists always show. It's true the attack it's not exactly what the ETA have has used to... BUt they're desperate and they had been caught before trying to do something of the kind and with maps of this particular region. They will not, IMO, claim the attack as theirs; I think they might be feeling it got a little out of hand, and thus, they might not be ready to assume the vast consequences. It wouldn't help their 'cause', or whatever you might call the stupidities they claim to defend.

Anyway, I've probably bored you enough already smile so I'll save more for another time. Thanks again everyone!!!!!! smile

Cris

PS. Carole, I think you might be able to find a list now, though it is still incomplete due to the trouble identificating frown

Cris
A
Anonymous
Unregistered
Anonymous
Unregistered
A
Cristina,

I finally did have news. Good news, what a relief!

I did a crazy thing to have it, but this isn't unusual and the waiting was just driving me crazy. Her sister is among the wounded but should be out of the hospital soon. She's still in a state of shock.

I think you might be able to find a list now, though it is still incomplete due to the trouble identificating
Yeah, I saw that "still to be identified" list. It really gives me the shudder... and 200 deaths now. frown

The demonstrations among the country were impressive and massive. I was amazed by the dignity and this intense feeling of communion that emanated from them.

Carole

Top Banana
Top Banana
Yes, I too was impressed by the speed and dignified solidarity at which the entire Spanish nation organised itself into a peaceful and very moving demonstration against violence.

My condolences and sympathy to all who have been affected by this terrible crime.

Yvonne

Beat Reporter
OP Offline
Beat Reporter
Hey Carole, I'm so glad you finally heard from your friend and that it was good news. I'm sorry to hear her sister is among the wounded, though fortunately she is still alive smile

Well, I have to admit it seems I was wrong about who is responsible for the attacks, though it kind of helped that our government was keen on making as believe ETA was really the prime subject while the rest of the world thought otherwise... Can you believe it? Lying for votes when so many families are suffering... mad

Cris

Cris
Pulitzer
Pulitzer
I have to admit to being increasingly sceptical of the then government's line on who was responsible from around Friday morning, Cris - I'm even more sad and disappointed to discover that it looks as if I was right. frown

Like Yvonne, though, I am heartened by your fellow citizens' response: the demonstrations on Friday were very moving indeed and a powerful statement on behalf of a shocked, grieving nation. And, regardless of the outcome, a turnout of more than 77% in your general election shows an electorate which is all the more convinced by the democratic process as the best response to terrorism.

By the way, I went to a couple of Spanish embassy websites (UK, USA) looking for an online book of condolences which I could sign, as I did after September 11 in the USA - it doesn't seem as if there's any such thing available. If anyone's come across an online 'book' I could sign, please let me know!

Wendy smile

Just a fly-by! *waves*
Beat Reporter
OP Offline
Beat Reporter
I think we all wanted to believe it was ETA, Wendy, rather than face the posibility of yet another terrorist group attacking us. I mean, if you look at everything objectively, from Friday on, and the truth is the evidence pretty much said 'hey, it wasn't ETA'. Guess it just wasn't convenient to admit it.
AS for the great response on the election Sunday, I guess it was a combination of factors. Not only as a response to terrorism, but also as a response to the government. THe number of votes received increased especially for the winning party whereas the previous governing party lost votes, but really not that many compared to the one by their adversary. (though I really am about to give up trying to understand al this mess confused )

About the condolence online book, I think I recall coming across one, but it's very likely that it was in a Spanish page.

Cris

Cris
A
Anonymous
Unregistered
Anonymous
Unregistered
A
Cris,

Hey Carole, I'm so glad you finally heard from your friend and that it was good news. I'm sorry to hear her sister is among the wounded, though fortunately she is still alive
I was thrilled to have news too. Her sister should leave the hospital tomorrow. I hope she'll be able to have her talk this event out 'cause it seems she's still silent about it.

Well, I have to admit it seems I was wrong about who is responsible for the attacks,
When I first saw your post it knocked me out. I didn't know such a thing had happened and I had just your description of the attack...but my intuition had rarely failed me before and, well, some things didn't quite fit in.

Wendy,

there's an online condoleance book on El Mundo website. It's in spanish.

You should be able to directly access it via this link.

As you will see there are messages from all over the world and even some posted in english.

If you want to post a message, click on the "envie su messaje a el mundo.es" link, the one standing in a grey sqare on top of the message list. It opens a window where you can post your message the same way you woud a reply on the mbs.

Hope this helps,

Carole smile1

Top Banana
Top Banana
Thanks for the link, Carole!

Kaethel smile

- I'm your partner. I'm your friend.
- Is that what we are?
- Oh, you know what? I don't know what we are. We kiss and then we never talk about it. We nearly die frozen in each other's arms, but we never talk about it, so no, I got no clue what we are.

~ Rick Castle and Kate Beckett ~ Knockout ~
A
Anonymous
Unregistered
Anonymous
Unregistered
A
You're more than welcome, Kaethel!

Yeah...I thought an english reply suited more to your avatar pic wink

Carole smile1

Beat Reporter
OP Offline
Beat Reporter
I was thrilled to have news too. Her sister should leave the hospital tomorrow. I hope she'll be able to have her talk this event out 'cause it seems she's still silent about it.
Well,Carole, I'd think it's understandable. I try to imagine myself in their situation and, well.. I just don't know how I'd react, because I'm very talkative but... I think I'd still be shocked. It'll take a lot of time to recover... Some probably will never leave it behind frown

When I first saw your post it knocked me out. I didn't know such a thing had happened and I had just your description of the attack...but my intuition had rarely failed me before and, well, some things didn't quite fit in.
When thought calmly, most just didn't fit. THe first being the fact that both ETA and the supporting political parites had denied their involvement. They never do, nor do they condemn the attacks.. so it was a pretty big clue...

Cris

Cris
A
Anonymous
Unregistered
Anonymous
Unregistered
A
Well,Carole, I'd think it's understandable. I try to imagine myself in their situation and, well.. I just don't know how I'd react, because I'm very talkative but...
It's perfectly understandable, indeed. Who wouldn't be shoked in that case? It's just...I'm not really used to posting my personnal and inner feelings online. Especially if I'm a bit closer to the topic than usual.

I'm the talking type but, in this case there's a restrain some would call a block.

I think I'd still be shocked. It'll take a lot of time to recover... Some probably will never leave it behind
Well, I'm quick to recover. The last event that touches me deeply on a *personnal* level took me three days of recovering and talking things out definitely helped quickened the healing process.

I stressed *personnal* because if it's news related, I'm armoured.

But I had a teacher that was caught in both Paris RER attacks and...well, I know he's still afraid of talking the train or going to crowded places. That was years ago. So you're right, some will probably never leave it behind.

When thought calmly, most just didn't fit. THe first being the fact that both ETA and the supporting political parites had denied their involvement. They never do, nor do they condemn the attacks.. so it was a pretty big clue...
Yep. I was more thinking 'modus operandi' at that time. I'm not an expert, but from what I remember, ETA usually revendicates the attacks they're responsible of but never denied an attack where they have no hands in. Like I first said, the scale and the calculation weren't pointing ETA. The most deadly ETA attack I can think of killed 21 people. And the Spanish flag with a black ribbon spread all over...I can't remember if it was San Sebastian's City Hall, well make it one of Basque Country 'big city' City Hall, was another pretty big clue too. Usually it's an Euskadi flag you see there after ETA attacks... Plus other things.

I'll stop here otherwise my post will be the boring and catalog type, and I've annoyed you enough with that, already.

Carole smile1

Beat Reporter
OP Offline
Beat Reporter
Sorry for not writng sooner, Carole. I meant to email in order to stop boring the FoLCs over here, but the last couple of days have been a little busy. But I'll try to do it later (like I said, no use boring everyone around here wink )

Cris

Cris
A
Anonymous
Unregistered
Anonymous
Unregistered
A
my thought exactly.

I meant to email too, but I'm quite busy myself. Waiting for your email then. wink

Carole smile1

Page 2 of 2 1 2

Moderated by  KSaraSara 

Link Copied to Clipboard