Print Thread
#198950 01/06/04 11:38 PM
A
Anonymous
Unregistered
Anonymous
Unregistered
A
I'm heading to Dublin next week and I was just wondering if there were Dubliner FoLC out there who could give me tips on must do's.

Thanks in advance,

Carole smile1

#198951 01/08/04 07:04 AM
Beat Reporter
Beat Reporter
Hi, Carole wave

Though I'm not from Dublin, I'm from Ireland and have spent holiday upon holiday upon holiday visiting the capital, so I have some small idea of 'tourist attractions', although as regards to how interesting they are... well, Wendy would be able to tell you much better, I'd imagine wink

Recommendations?

The Mansion House [Dawson Street] Dublin Zoo [in the Phoneix Park] ArĂ¡s an Uachtairain, if you can manage it [the President's house, also in Phoeneix Park] The National Gallery, St. Stephen's Green [and shopping centre wink ] The Four Courts are fascinating, though I have an inkling that might be just a 'lawyer's thing' <g>.
Grafton Street, O'Connell Street and Henry Street are great for shopping, and if you're in O'Connell street, you'll see the famous Millenium Spire [which is basically nothing but a great big spike sticking out of the ground which the government spent a few million Euro on] the O'Connell Monument and the General Post Office, both of which bear bullet marks from the 1916 Easter Rising, when a group of rebels, the Irish Republican Brotherhood, seized the GPO and tried to defend it against the British. Unfortunately, they failed, but you can still put your fingers in the holes left by the bullets fired in that battle today, and there are a number of 'nice statues' inside the GPO itself, with a little tablet giving the history of the place. Sounds crazy to visit a post office for fun on your holiday, but I did like it wink The Book of Kells in the library in Trinity College is worth a peep.

Well, hoping I'm not being too much of a nerd here <g>. Enjoy your holiday - be sure to tell me how it went!! smile

Sara.

Death: Easy, Bill. You'll give yourself a heart attack and ruin my vacation.

Meet Joe Black
#198952 01/08/04 09:41 PM
A
Anonymous
Unregistered
Anonymous
Unregistered
A
Hi Sara! smile1 (who thinks she'll also have to go back to Dublin as a tourist, in order to fully appreciate her family 'root city' drool ).

PS:
Well, hoping I'm not being too much of a nerd here <g>.
Well, so far I've only seen Waterford, Blarney, Cobh and Cork so...you do sound a bit nerdy <g>. But thanks! it's gonna be really helpful! thumbsup

Moderated by  KSaraSara 

Link Copied to Clipboard