Print Thread
Page 1 of 2 1 2
A
Anonymous
Unregistered
Anonymous
Unregistered
A
here you go James <g>. I tried to make them easy.

Okay, here's a bunch of European questions (at least I tried). Answer them before checking the answers below. And let's here your scores! (no picking!)

1. Where is the "institutionnal" Capital of Europe?

2. Which city harbors the European Parliament?

3. What are the colors of the Irish flag from left to right?

4. What's the common color used to describe Ireland?

5. What's the nickname of British Police Officers? Why were they called that way?

6. If you're facing the Metropolis Seguras Building, in which city and country are you?

7. How many airports are there in Milan? Name them.

8. Bucarest is the capital of...?

9. How many Muses are there in the greek Mythology? Name them.

10. On which side do trains circulate in France?

11. On which side do metros circulate in France?

12. How many lines are there in the parisian metro?

13. What are the major colors of Delft porcelain items? By the way, where's Delft?

14. and Delphes? Why was this city famous for?

15. where's Mockba?

16. How many regions are there in France?

17. I'm a piece of France in South America. What's my name?

18. What's the full name of the Orient-Express?

19. On a french license plate, what do the last two figures stand for?

20. Main colors used on a bottle of Perrier?

21. How many Teletubbies are there? What's their colors?

22. Bruges, the Belgium city, is famous for?

23. What's the color of London's double decked buses?

24. Jennifer and Nolwenn...Who am I talking about?
(This last one is just for Saskia and Kaethel laugh )

Okay, now it occures to me it was easy for European residents...So don't beat yourself down, whatever your score is, is great. And Congrats to those who gave those questions a try.

Carole smile

ANSWERS

1. Brussels, Belgium.

2. Strasbourg, France.

3. Green, white, orange.

4. Green.

5. The Bobbies. because of the black hat composing their uniform.

6. Madrid, Spain.

7. Two. Linate and Malpensa.

8. Romania.

9. Nine: Euterpe, Calliope, Clio, Thalie, Uranie, Melpomene, Mnemosyne, Polymnie, Erato.

10. Left.

11. Right.

12. Fourteen.

13. Blue and white. In the Nederlands.

14. Greece. The Oracles given by the Pythie of Delphes.

15. Russia.

16. Twenty two.

17. French Guyana.

18. Venice Simplon Orient Express.

19. the french department the car owner lives in.

20. Yellow, green, white and black.

21. Four: red, purple, yellow and green.

22. Its lace.

23. Red.

24. Two singers who respectively won the first and second edition of the french real tv show "Star Academy". laugh

Merriwether
Merriwether
Ok, I managed 9. Clearly, it has been far too long since I was in Europe. wink

Do you know the most surprising thing about divorce? It doesn't actually kill you, like a bullet to the heart or a head-on car wreck. It should. When someone you've promised to cherish till death do you part says, "I never loved you," it should kill you instantly.

- Under the Tuscan Sun
Pulitzer
Pulitzer
Not bad, Carole; I think I got about 16.

However, the reason English (or rather, London) police officers are called 'bobbies' is after Sir Robert Peel who, as Home Secretary in the early nineteenth century, was responsible for the establishment of a civilian police force, which until that time hadn't existed. This first police force was the Metropolitan Police, still London's police force.

The early officers were known as 'peelers' or 'bobbies' after Peel himself. Both of these terms are still in use, although very infrequently these days.

See here .

Wendy smile

Just a fly-by! *waves*
A
Anonymous
Unregistered
Anonymous
Unregistered
A
Like I said, don't beat yourself up, Rivka. I'm sure even Europe residents don't have all the answers here... or have they? wink

Plus, it's just a game... only with a cultural touch. And 9 isn't bad at all.

Merriwether
Merriwether
Oh, I wasn't beating myself up, Carole! Actually, I was really hoping someone would say something like, "Well, that won't do! I'll have to sponsor your return trip to Europe, so you can know more of these." laugh

Actually, I was impressed that I still remembered the number of French regions. wink

Do you know the most surprising thing about divorce? It doesn't actually kill you, like a bullet to the heart or a head-on car wreck. It should. When someone you've promised to cherish till death do you part says, "I never loved you," it should kill you instantly.

- Under the Tuscan Sun
A
Anonymous
Unregistered
Anonymous
Unregistered
A
Wendy,

However, the reason English (or rather, London) police officers are called 'bobbies' is after Sir Robert Peel who, as Home Secretary in the early nineteenth century, was responsible for the establishment of a civilian police force, which until that time hadn't existed. This first police force was the Metropolitan Police, still London's police force.
Whoops! Thanks for the explanation, My teachers always told me it was because of the hat...go wonder. Still, my mistake.

So let's say everybody counts themself one point on question 5, no matter what their answer was.

Rivka,

Oh, I wasn't beating myself up, Carole! Actually, I was really hoping someone would say something like, "Well, that won't do! I'll have to sponsor your return trip to Europe, so you can know more of these."
"Well, Rivka, 9 is real bad. You should really consider going back to Europe in order to improve your knowledge on the subject"...Will that do? smile1

Merriwether
Merriwether
Nonono, Carole! The key word was sponsor. laugh

- Under the Tuscan Sun
A
Anonymous
Unregistered
Anonymous
Unregistered
A
Nonono, Carole! The key word was sponsor.
"Dear Mrs/MsRivka,

I'm afraid our 'back to Europe' Sponsorship Department staff is on vacation at the moment and won't be available before the beginning of September. Maybe you could try sending them an email at: info@getmebacktoeurope.com.

I heard some european FoLC (don't ask me what that is) were often gathering on the Old Continent, maybe they have special networks that could help you in your quest?

Yours sincerely,

Cyad"

Merriwether
Merriwether
rotflol rotflol rotflol

- Under the Tuscan Sun
Top Banana
Top Banana
Oy, oy, oy... 15. But the shame is that I got the number of French regions wrong. blush I also had no clue about the question about airports in Milan, but then that's normal for me. goofy

Kaethel smile (wondering if Cyad is going to confiscate her French ID now...)

- I'm your partner. I'm your friend.
- Is that what we are?
- Oh, you know what? I don't know what we are. We kiss and then we never talk about it. We nearly die frozen in each other's arms, but we never talk about it, so no, I got no clue what we are.

~ Rick Castle and Kate Beckett ~ Knockout ~
Top Banana
Top Banana
Well, I got 6 right. Two I guessed at - I arbitrarily picked "left" than "right" for the French trains & metro. I knew "bobby", but had no idea why. Luckily, you gave us that one. The other three I knew were #4 (Ireland - green), #8 (Bucarest) and #13 (Delft).

Can you tell I'm not European? (The only country in Europe I've ever been in was Spain... and I missed the question about Madrid! blush )

- Vicki wave

"Hold on, my friends, to the Constitution and to the Republic for which it stands. Miracles do not cluster and what has happened once in 6,000 years, may not happen again. Hold on to the Constitution" - Daniel Webster
A
Pulitzer
Pulitzer
A
11. (I hope it makes Rivka feel better... lol.)

9. Nine: Euterpe, Calliope, Clio, Thalie, Uranie, Melpomene, Mnemosyne, Polymnie, Erato.
Not Mnemosyne, but Terpsihori (spelled in Greeklish).

Thanks for the questions 9 and 14 wink

AnnaBtG.

What we've got here is failure to communicate...
A
Anonymous
Unregistered
Anonymous
Unregistered
A
But the shame is that I got the number of French regions wrong.
You're kidding me, right Kaethel? <jk, well...>

Kaethel (wondering if Cyad is going to confiscate her French ID now...)
What's the use? You'd still got your "French/ European" driving license or passeport anyway...Besides, only the European participants that didn't reach the average score of 11 (you may have noticed questions 5 and 24 didn't really count wink ) get their ID confiscated (LOL+ eg).

But, as I kind of mucked up questions 5 and 9, along with forgetting Germany... and for those who don't wanna get a free point so easily, here are two other questions you can try:

5.2 "Neun und neunzig Luftballons" is a song interpretated by...?

9.2 Each year, in which German city does the most important and reknowned 'Bier' Festival take place?

As usual, no picking. And here you go for the...

ANSWERS:

5.2 Nina Hagen (hope I orthographed it right).

9.2 München...or Munich if you prefer.

Now, back to replying...

Can you tell I'm not European? (The only country in Europe I've ever been in was Spain... and I missed the question about Madrid! )
Not at all! And this things happen you know smile .

Not Mnemosyne, but Terpsihori (spelled in Greeklish).Thanks for the questions 9 and 14
Geez, Terpsichore! How could I have mistaken her for Mnemosyne? And here you go with that word 'thanks' again <g>, but you' re welcome laugh !

Carole smile1

Pulitzer
Pulitzer
Carole, just in case you're wondering why I edited your post, a word just slipped in which shouldn't have been there (ie it was over PG13). I'm sure it was entirely unintentional. Anyway, I've edited it slightly so that it's now something harmless, but has the same intended meaning.

Wendy
Forum Moderator

Just a fly-by! *waves*
A
Anonymous
Unregistered
Anonymous
Unregistered
A
?????

I don't mind at all, on the contrary. I'm glad you did it, 'cause I tried to remember my original reply and I'm absolutely clueless about this 'word'. And seeing what it got me into, I guess I don't even wanna know.

Carole (who thinks she'll go back to safer activities like...working).

PS: Wait, I had it on my last re-reading. And, yes, purely unintentional, but you did a real great 'slighty' job.

Boards Chief Administrator Emeritus
Nobel Peace Prize Winner
Nobel Peace Prize Winner
Actually, Carole, I think you inadvertantly did us a favour, as the mbs censor should have picked up said word. Now we have a headsup that it's not, we can make darn sure it is in the future. <g>

LabRat smile (who suggests that a really, really safe activity would be keywording... <g> )

Athos: If you'd told us what you were doing, we might have been able to plan this properly.
Aramis: Yes, sorry.
Athos: No, no, by all means, let's keep things suicidal.

The Musketeers
A
Anonymous
Unregistered
Anonymous
Unregistered
A
mbs censor
Another FoLC species I'm not aware off? But glad I could help, another favour I can help you with?

Keywording sounds good to me but, does that actually means you got Keywording-part6 I sent you?

And in order to keyword, I actually need a fic list to stuck my teeth into... laugh

Carole

PS: BTW, leaving for vac' (real ones, not ones where I go back to the office) on thursday so...hurry up?

Beat Reporter
Beat Reporter
Now we have a headsup that it's not, we can make darn sure it is in the future.
Done. [Linked Image]

Methos: "I'm easily amused."

(Indiscretions - Highlander: The Series)
Nobel Peace Prize Winner
Nobel Peace Prize Winner
Another FoLC species I'm not aware off? But glad I could help, another favour I can help you with?
LOL. The settings for the messageboards include a function which automatically replaces any banned words with asterisks, so they don't get through. The F-word is an obvious one, so not sure why it got missed, but we're working on it and it should be included shortly.

Keywording sounds good to me but, does that actually means you got Keywording-part6 I sent you?
Nope. <g> My records show me still waiting for batch #6, plus two outstanding from batch #5. Can you email them to me again and I'll get you out batch #7? Thanks!

I've had a couple of incidents over the last couple of weeks of my email being squirrely for one reason or another, so guess your email got lost during one of those periods. grumble

LabRat smile

Athos: If you'd told us what you were doing, we might have been able to plan this properly.
Aramis: Yes, sorry.
Athos: No, no, by all means, let's keep things suicidal.

The Musketeers
A
Anonymous
Unregistered
Anonymous
Unregistered
A
oh geez!

Can you remember me what part five and six where all about? it seems I lost part of my data. It stops at Part 4 "date with a stranger". That plus the keyword list I also lost.
Thanks in advance,

Carole

Page 1 of 2 1 2

Moderated by  KSaraSara 

Link Copied to Clipboard