Print Thread
Page 2 of 2 1 2
#197377 07/18/03 01:48 AM
A
Beat Reporter
Beat Reporter
A
Originally posted by Karen:
I myself proudly proclaim to be a pure-bread American mutt, with several nationalities running through my blood, Irish included.
Sounds like me. Specifically, I'm 1/2 Austrian, 1/4 Dutch, 1/8 Irish, 1/16 French and 1/16 English. But I mostly look Irish due to my complexion (my hubby calls it "fish-belly white") and my red hair (from a bottle). goofy

Anne >^,,^<

"I only know how to make four things, and this is the only one without chocolate." Lois Lane "All My I've Got a Crush on You 10/24/1993
#197378 07/18/03 02:40 AM
Sorcha Offline OP
Beat Reporter
OP Offline
Beat Reporter
...pant...

Whoa...Just after catching up with the thread after being absent for a few days...wow! Thanks everybody for replying!

And thanks Alicia and Frank for explaining the link to Notre Dame...very interesting!

It was meant to be derogatory but the name was adopted and worn with pride.
That's so typical of we Irish to take an insult and turn it into a compliment! smile

Well, I'm not american, though I have relatives on the american continent (Canada included). But my great-great-great...LOL.
ROTFL!

Yeah, we Americans are quite proud of our heritage. I myself proudly proclaim to be a pure-bread American mutt, with several nationalities running through my blood, Irish included. My husband's grandmother, I believe, came over from Ireland years ago, and my mother-in-law went over there 2 years ago to visit her relatives. The only downside was that she was stuck over there during 9/11. She loved it over there, and wants to go back.
I'm so sorry about your mother-in-law being stuck here during 9/11... but it's great that she loved her time here!

Well, my last name may sound vaguely Irish -- my husband's full name is Joseph Kelley Jernigan, which he thinks sounds Irish <g> -- but he assures me that his family is descended from Vikings <g> My family's been here so long, I have very little clue what Old Countries they all came from, so I guess that makes me a pure-bred mutt as well
LOL, Pam! And yep, it does sound vaguely Irish...it might have helped if his second name was Séan, though... smile1

Karen, I get the same remarks from my family: when in the sun, I'm either livid white or turns red without even tanning
Oh, so I'm *not* the only one! Yeah, me too &#8211; the disappointing thing is when the skin peels off, there's no tan underneath that was promised by countless doctors grumble

Sounds like me. Specifically, I'm 1/2 Austrian, 1/4 Dutch, 1/8 Irish, 1/16 French and 1/16 English. But I mostly look Irish due to my complexion (my hubby calls it "fish-belly white") and my red hair (from a bottle).
Whoa...and LOL btw! I'm lucky...well, maybe unlucky to be born with all natural, all red, all conspicuous hair <g>

All right, once again, thanks to everyone who replied so far!

Sara jump

P.S. Btw, huuuuge credit goes to Labrat for noticing I was having trouble with those quotes &#8211; otherwise this post would have been even more of a jumbled mess smile You're the best, Labrat!

Death: Easy, Bill. You'll give yourself a heart attack and ruin my vacation.

Meet Joe Black
#197379 07/18/03 03:43 AM
A
Beat Reporter
Beat Reporter
A
Originally posted by ChiefPam:
Well, my last name may sound vaguely Irish -- my husband's full name is Joseph Kelley Jernigan, which he thinks sounds Irish <g> -- but he assures me that his family is descended from Vikings <g>
According to my dad, who claims my maiden name (Russum) is Irish, the Vikings invaded Ireland a few times, so he could be both. Anyone know a good website for looking up origins of last names?
huh

Anne >^,,^<

"I only know how to make four things, and this is the only one without chocolate." Lois Lane "All My I've Got a Crush on You 10/24/1993
#197380 07/18/03 08:42 AM
Sorcha Offline OP
Beat Reporter
OP Offline
Beat Reporter
Hey Anne wave

You might find this website interesting... www.last-names.net. I found mine there - apparently it's also the surname of Niall, who captured St. Patrick from Wales and brought him to Ireland on a slave ship dizzy

Come to think of it...Dad has always hated the name Patrick...hmmm.... evil

Sara jump

Meet Joe Black
#197381 07/20/03 01:55 PM
Columnist
Columnist
Um, family lore, which I haven't confirmed, says that my Scottish great-grandfather on my father's mother's side, married the daughter of an Irish sea-captain. I haven't confirmed that yet, tho'. Her maiden name was Cochrane - is that an Irish name?

Oh, and I went to university just north of Notre Dame, over on the Michigan side of the line. We organ majors would go down to South Bend all the time for organ recitals at Notre Dame's *gorgeous* church, or other concerts too. (You had to attend a certain number of concerts a term as a music major, and you couldn't always count on getting them all in by attending senior recitals and other concerts on campus...)

Melisma (under her Rock, really needing to get back to the ancestry project soon)

Do, or do not. There is no try.
- Yoda
#197382 07/21/03 02:53 AM
Sorcha Offline OP
Beat Reporter
OP Offline
Beat Reporter
Hey Melisma help I have no idea on whether or not Cochrane is Irish...I've heard a lot of old Irish names, but that one isnt among them drool I love music myself (especially Celine Dion laugh )so you can imagine how envious I am wink

Once again, thanks for posting thumbsup

Sara jump

Meet Joe Black
Page 2 of 2 1 2

Moderated by  KSaraSara 

Link Copied to Clipboard