Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Page 1 of 2 1 2
Elena Offline OP
Beat Reporter
OP Offline
Beat Reporter
I'm starting a new topic just in case someone feels this incredible urge to say something about the new Harry Potter and forgets to add "SPOILERS" to the subject. goofy

I'll be back to this folder once I finally get my copy. [Linked Image]

El [Linked Image]

Methos: "I'm easily amused."

(Indiscretions - Highlander: The Series)
Columnist
Columnist
I've only gotten through the first three chapters, but boy is it great already! Mrs. Figg is a witch and there are dementors in Little Whinging?! dizzy And what the heck does Petunia know about the non-Muggle world that she's not saying? I can't wait to find out! laugh

BTW, Hermione is my fave, how about everyone else?

~Anna (off to keep reading)

Hack from Nowheresville
Hack from Nowheresville
Can someone PLEEEEEASE get rid of that Umbridge *person*. goofy

Columnist
Columnist
OMG, I just went to the bookstore and they aren't getting any copies until the END OF THE MONTH!!!!! I'm so cheesed... Howabout someone scan some of the first few chapters and mail them to me? I'm dying over here!

Melisma (under her Rock, normally a spoiler virgin, but unable to wait this time)

Do, or do not. There is no try.
- Yoda
Merriwether
Merriwether
I just would love to kill Umbridge. That is all. (On Ch. 20 at the time of this writing)

"You need me. You wouldn't be much of a hero without a villain. And you do love being the hero, don't you. The cheering children, the swooning women, you love it so much, it's made you my most reliable accomplice." -- Lex Luthor to Superman, Question Authority, Justice League Unlimited
Hack from Nowheresville
Hack from Nowheresville
GAAH!
I wanna read it, too!
Unfortunately, I had this crazy idea never to buy a HP book. I read the first four volumes....borrowing them from my neighbour who's a native English speaker... I just don't dare to go there and ask her if she has already gotten it....

Well, it's all my own fault. For now I'll have to feed off of these wonderful comments here (which make me want to read volume 5 even more!!)

~Sira~crazy, but hey, aren't we all from time to time?

Hack from Nowheresville
Hack from Nowheresville
*deep sigh*

Just finished...wow...that was a very involved book... it was almost 900 pages and yet I didn't want it to end.

ok, JK! Where's book 6?!?! wildguy wildguy wildguy

(Nag to JK to write!)

-Breanna

Beat Reporter
Beat Reporter
Was sobbing during the time when ***incoherent mumble*** died...it's not fair!!!!

Re Karen...think we *all* wanna kill Umbridge!

Sara

Death: Easy, Bill. You'll give yourself a heart attack and ruin my vacation.

Meet Joe Black
Hack from Nowheresville
Hack from Nowheresville
think we *all* wanna kill Umbridge!
I just *loved* the name, though... Umbrage. <g>

A diabolically, fiendishly clever mind. Possibly someone evil enough to take over the world. CC Aiken, Can You Guess the Writer? challenge
Pulitzer
Pulitzer
At page 700 right here. Her little "detentions" ARGGH!!! mad mad mad I would have told on her a long time ago. And Dumbledore taking the fall for DA?!?!?! This whole book has just been one big ?!?!?!

Jen

"Meg...who let you back in the house?" -Family Guy
Merriwether
Merriwether
Heh. Keep reading, Jen. What Fred & George do is priceless. rotflol

"You need me. You wouldn't be much of a hero without a villain. And you do love being the hero, don't you. The cheering children, the swooning women, you love it so much, it's made you my most reliable accomplice." -- Lex Luthor to Superman, Question Authority, Justice League Unlimited
Pulitzer
Pulitzer
whinging whinging whinging whinging whinging whinging whinging whinging

I finished it. She killed him. I cried.

Jen
hasn't recovered yet.
is thoroughly depressed and speechless.
is there a support group for this? smirk
yeah, i know, it was only a book, but COUGH COUGH COUGH was one of my favorite characters.

Hack from Nowheresville
Hack from Nowheresville
I haven't finished yet, but I read the last couple of pages, so I know who dies. (I cheat, so sue me) And I agree with you, Jen, *incoherent mumble* was one of my favorite characters too. I read an interview with JK Rowling and in it, she said that she cried after she wrote the death scene. I don't blame her!

Caroline (who has to start at the front of the book instead of the back. It's really getting to be a bad habit. But, to borrow a quote from When Harry Met Sally, "When I buy a new book I always read the last page first
that way in case I die before I finish I know how it ends.")

You've gotta be original, because if you're like someone else, what do they need you for?
~Bernadette Peters
Elena Offline OP
Beat Reporter
OP Offline
Beat Reporter
Whoa!!! goofy ), but what really made me cry was reading this:
Harry looked up at him and saw a tear trickling down Dumbledore's face into his long silver beard.
whinging whinging whinging

El

Methos: "I'm easily amused."

(Indiscretions - Highlander: The Series)
Hack from Nowheresville
Hack from Nowheresville
btw, do we really need to be careful and not say anything in a topic titled "SPOILERS!! etc."?
Yes :p

If you use the Today\'s Active Topics link to see what posts have been added since your last visit it gives you the first few sentences of the post (a very handy innovation btw...)

So class, repeat after me...

S
P
O
I
L
E
R

S
P
A
C
E

It's JK's take on Hamlet... everyone dies at the end laugh

Just editing to add I've realised you need to put a 'fool yahoo' paragraph in there as well... except this isn't yahoo, so a 'fool UBB' paragraph... that is a paragraph or so of random text at the top of the post. Poems and songs are much appreicated... wink

Helga
(who doesn't have the new HP because she has no money, but doesn't mind being spoilled anyway... but she's sure there are others who will...)

Knowledge is knowing that tomatoes are a fruit.

Intelligence is not putting them in a fruit salad.
Beat Reporter
Beat Reporter
Okay, I'm writing this in as vague a way as possible, but just on the off-chance:

s
p
o
i
l
e
r

s
p
a
c
e

Well, I finished reading OofP at about one o'clock last night and...

Did anyone else spend the first half of the book wondering when the plot was going to kick in and then suddenly think, 'Duh! This is the plot?' The pacing seemed a little 'off' somehow -- but that may well have been me.

Oddly, the death didn't do much for me. Maybe it was because that was the part that had been hyped so much, maybe it was who died, or maybe it was the fact that it happened so [not saying more]... I don't know. However, I felt that Cedric's death in Goblet actually was more powerful.

What did get to me though, was Dumbledore's revelations. Now, that / they were sad. (Can anyone here say angst? wink )

What did impress me, though, was the way JKR used all sorts of things from the first books that had seemed merely quirky at the time were used here to great effect. (I'm thinking things like the quality of teaching etc.)

Oh, and those detentions were horrible.

Overall, a good book, and one that I would recommend more than most. I mean, I read it avidly (and from front to back without looking ahead to see what was going to happen later on); it was a page turner. However, it didn't leave me thinking at the end that I had to go back and start at the beginning again (which has happened once or twice with other things). Nor did it leave me with that terrible bereft feeling of having just lost a great friend (which also happens from time to time.)

Oh, and Prisoner of Azkaban remains my favourite. smile

Chris (who, having finished the fun stuff might actually be reduced to reading articles on housing policy this weekend!)

Pulitzer
Pulitzer
J
E
L
L
O

I
T
S

ALIVE!

Originally posted by Krissie:
[QB]
Did anyone else spend the first half of the book wondering when the plot was going to kick in and then suddenly think, 'Duh! This is the plot?' The pacing seemed a little 'off' somehow -- but that may well have been me.
Kinda sort of. I kept expecting the whole book to be at Hogwarts like the others, and then I finally had my 'duh' moment. The first half was by no means bad, I just didn't predict the setting correctly.

Oddly, the death didn't do much for me. Maybe it was because that was the part that had been hyped so much, maybe it was who died, or maybe it was the fact that it happened so [not saying more]... I don't know. However, I felt that Cedric's death in Goblet actually was more powerful.
Yeah, I agree. And there's something about Harry dragging a dead body back with him after battle in Book 4 that's a whole lot more powerful for me. COUGH's death in OotP was extremely sad for me because COUGH was my favorite character, but battle-wise, it wasn't the biggest thing. If it was some random character that I had no attachments to, it would have been like, "Oh, well, so n so's dead, let's get on with it."

Oh, and Prisoner of Azkaban remains my favourite.
Ah, I still can't pick after 5 books!

Jen :p

Top Banana
Top Banana
I just finally finished the book and I'm most impressed.

S
P
O
I
L
E
R

S
P
A
C
E

It's a great book, even though I sometimes had ideas like 'oh, now this is gonna happen later' and I was right. I already had the feeling that the person might die, and indeed at the end it happened. (my other guesses were pretty close too, they got nearly killed). But I'd never expected Dumbledore's story. So now I can't wait to read what's going to happen in the next parts.

But I noticed two things while reading the book I thought were funny. First, it seems that the first of September *always* falls on a Sunday. The train always leaves on Sunday, since there term starts a day later, which is always Monday. Now magic can be very nice and do lots of cool stuff, but fiddling with dates like that just isn't possible.

And then there were the Thestrals, whom you can only see if you have seen death. I find it weird that Harry can only see them at the start of his fifth year, after Cedric died. Harry has seen his parents die as a baby. He may not remember it, but he still saw it. So I believe he should have seen the animals earlier.

Anyway, I'd like to know what other people think of it, or if I'm totally losing myself. wink

Saskia (going to read her favourite chapters again now)

I tawt I taw a puddy cat!
C
Blogger
Blogger
C
S
P
O
I
L
E
R

S
P
A
C
E

ok... i can say that...

grumble

Chiara
P.s I love the Book...

Hack from Nowheresville
Hack from Nowheresville
S
P
O
I
L
E
R

S
P
A
C
E

And NOW HE'S DEAD?!?!?!?!?
LOL Maybe it'll be like L&C where nobody is ever *really* dead. Luthor came back *how* many times? <g>

Caroline

You've gotta be original, because if you're like someone else, what do they need you for?
~Bernadette Peters
Columnist
Columnist
Oh boyyo! I just have to go haunt the bookstore and see if they have finally gotten the shipment in, now. You guys are killing me here... Well, it *is* the beginning of July, and they promised me it would be in by the end of June - but they promised to call... I'll just have to go lean on them, ya think??? Or is there a site I can go to (very illegally I'm sure) where someone has downloaded it for those of us in remote parts of the world where they are so 'backward' as to think nobody wants to read an English book the day it is released?...

Melisma (getting off her soapbox and crawling back under her Rock to go ring up the bookstore *again*)

- Yoda
Hack from Nowheresville
Hack from Nowheresville
Melisma - there is indeed a very evil scan of the book in the net. I don't know where. I got it from a friend. But after the first four chapters I quit reading it, because already a page was missing. A page I thought quite important for the proceedings that early in the story.
That's why I have decided to buy the book instead where I know I'll get all the pages and which I can take with me wherever it pleases me (in opposition to reading it on-screen...too much pages to print them all).

Maybe I just missed the feel of a book in my hands while reading...or I'm just too honest for my own good. I'm still waiting for *my* shipment, too. So let's wait together. It will be worth it. I'm sure.

~Sira

Merriwether
Merriwether
I guess I could have read this topic before the book after all. <tiny g> Not feeling much like smiling at the moment. <sigh>

S
P
O
I
L
E
R

S
P
A
C
E

Well, he wasn't my favorite character. He actually wasn't even a leading candidate on my "list of people who likely got it." And the actual death, as was mentioned by others, mostly made me go, "Say what?" But when Harry and Luna had that talk a couple chapters later . . . ok, then I did cry. But yes, the death in HP4 was far more wrenching.

As for Dumbledore's revelations to Harry . . . for over a year I've been utterly convinced I knew why Voldemort went after Harry. Totally wrong. <grumble> Although this does explain a few things . . .

Do you know the most surprising thing about divorce? It doesn't actually kill you, like a bullet to the heart or a head-on car wreck. It should. When someone you've promised to cherish till death do you part says, "I never loved you," it should kill you instantly.

- Under the Tuscan Sun
Columnist
Columnist
Holy Canole, I finally got my book yesterday afternoon - was up until 4:30 am this morning reading, and am just over halfway done. Will now be able to join the discussion - just give me another half day or so smile

Melisma (a happy camper, finally, here under her Rock - skiving off on a schoolwide activity so that she can read... and she's a TEACHER!!! ... oh yeah, and can you tell she just learnt a new Britishism??? smile )

- Yoda
Columnist
Columnist
Well, I've finished reading it... It took about 24 hours from the time I bought it to the time I finished reading, and that was taking time out for teaching 8 hours of English, a couple of (disjointed) hours for sleeping, an hour at the gym, and, well, other personal stuff...

Whew! Intense or what, and I was guessing all the way through about who it was that kicked it - had a few potential victims in mind, and yes, one of them was the winner...

I'm rather frustrated, tho'... Two years (prolly) before we find out how many OWLs Harry and Hermione and Ron got... And the shippiness is heating up laugh - time to go look up some fanfic to save my sanity, I guess. After I catch up on the sleep I lost to reading.

Talk to you later - time to SLEEP!!!

Melisma (yawning here under her Rock)

- Yoda
Page 1 of 2 1 2

Moderated by  KSaraSara 

Link Copied to Clipboard