Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
#197163 06/11/03 04:43 PM
HatMan Offline OP
Pulitzer
OP Offline
Pulitzer
there's this toxic waste site a couple miles from my house. i decided to look it up in the EPA records to see what was there. i wasn't sure which side of the town line it was on, so when i searched the database to find the site, i told it to show all listings in my county. imagine my surprise when i discovered no less than 68 hits.

some of them had really fun things, too. here are a few samples.

Jones Industrial Service (JIS) operated a landfill in an agricultural area of Jamesburg/South Brunswick Township, Middlesex County, New Jersey. The landfill, originally a borrow pit, received liquid chemical wastes from the 1960s until the State closed it in 1980. Investigations indicate that numerous drums of solvents may also have been buried at the site. Volatile organics have contaminated the Old Bridge Formation Aquifer, and the contaminated ground water plume has migrated off-site. One residential well has been closed, and others are threatened.
The Middlesex Sampling Plant (MSP) is located in the Borough of Middlesex, New Jersey. The site consists of three sources known as the Middlesex Municipal Landfill (MML) Pile, the Vicinity Property (VP) Pile, and Facility Soils. The MSP is situated within the Raritan River drainage basin and runoff from the site flows south into a series of ditches, streams and brooks.

The MSP was established in 1943 as part of the Manhattan Engineer District (MED) for sampling, storing and shipping radioactive ores. Over the years that operations were conducted at the MSP, the buildings and soils on the MSP and vicinity land parcels were contaminated with elevated levels of radioactive hazardous substances.
Global Sanitary Landfill covers 23.37 acres in Old Bridge Township, Middlesex County, New Jersey. It had a permit from the New Jersey Department of Environmental Protection (NJDEP) to accept nonhazardous waste.

The landfill borders Cheesquake Creek Tidal Marsh on three sides. In April 1984, after heavy rains, two consecutive high tides occurred in the wetlands. A portion of the southern side of the landfill collapsed and slid into the adjoining wetlands. NJDEP closed the landfill later in 1984.

In 1983-84, NJDEP detected methylene chloride, chloroform, trichloroethylene, benzene, and other chemicals in leachate seeping from the site into the wetlands, thus threatening surface water in the area.

Underlying the site is the most productive aquifer in the Raritan Formation, the Old Bridge Sand Aquifer, which is overlain by the Amboy Stoneware Clay. This layer of clay, which ranges from 0-30 feet thick, is absent in the northwest corner of the landfill, thus permitting contaminants from the landfill to reach the Old Bridge Sand Aquifer. The Sayreville Water Co. has five water supply wells within 1 mile of the site; three of them draw from the Old Bridge Sand Aquifer. Approximately 86,000 people depend on wells within 3 miles of the site as their sole source of drinking water. The water supplies for Sayreville, Laurence Harbor, South Amboy, and Perth Amboy are threatened. Raritan Bay, which is approximately 2 miles from the site, is used for recreational activities.
Atlantic Development Corp. Area, where several companies manufactured, processed, and blended various chemicals. During 1975-82, NJDEPE took numerous legal actions against the companies. In mid-1980, NJDEPE removed over 1,000 drums from the area after the companies failed to do so. NJDEPE analyses of soil samples in 1985 detected volatile organic compounds (including toluene), semivolatile organic compounds, and heavy metals. EPA soil analyses in 1989 detected similar hazardous substances, plus pesticides and PCBs. In an April 1991 onsite inspection, EPA found 400 5-gallon containers holding solids and semisolids of various colors. Most containers were open, and many were crushed as a result of a fire in 1983.
Sayreville Pesticide Dump, an abandoned property now in the custody of the State. In the April 1991 inspection, EPA found at least 160 corroded or crushed drums, many containing a white powder. NJDEPE's 1985 analyses detected benzene, ethylbenzene, and toluene in soil, and EPA's 1989 analyses detected 1,2,4-trichlorobenzene, copper, and mercury. Surface water and sediments in a small stream originating near the Sayreville Pesticide Dump contain heavy metals (copper, lead, and mercury), phenol, bis (2-chloroethyl) ether, methoxychlor, lindane, chloroform, and 1,2-dichloroethane, according to EPA's 1989 analyses. Hard clams are harvested from Raritan Bay and Sandy Hook Bay, coastal tidal waters within 15 miles downstream of the site. Wetlands on and off the site are also threatened. An estimated 14,000 people obtain drinking water from public wells within 4 miles of the site.
Atlantic Resources Corp., where precious metals, and perhaps solvents, were recycled during 1972-85 by Atlantic Resources Corp. and International Resources Corp. Twice during the winter of 1986-87, mercury spilled onto the ground. In March 1987, EPA used CERCLA emergency funds to remove 70 pounds of mercury and contaminated soil to a hazardous waste facility regulated under Subtitle C of the Resource Conservation and Recovery Act. EPA also removed 30 5-gallon containers of sodium cyanide, which was used in the metal recycling process.
The Cornell Dubilier Electronics Inc (CDE) site consists of a 25-acre property on Hamilton Boulevard in South Plainfield, Middlesex County, New Jersey. CDE tested transformer oils on the property for an unknown period of time until the company vacated the property in 1961. The property is currently occupied by the Hamilton Industrial Park, which consists of approximately 15 small industries. It has been alleged that during CDE's period of operation, the company dumped transformer oil contaminated with polychlorinated biphenyls (PCBs) directly onto site soils. A former employee has claimed that the rear of the property was saturated with PCB-contaminated transformer oils and that transformers were also buried behind the facility during the same time period. New Jersey Department of Environmental Protection (NJDEP) personnel visited the site on March 12, 1985 and noted in the back of the facility contained a black soil unnatural to the area. In 1988, a response letter was delivered to the NJDEP by a law firm representing CDE, which indicated that small accidental leaks or spills of PCBs occurred at the site property and that liquid-liquid-vapor degreasers were utilized during processes conducted at the site. Trichloroethylene (TCE) was the degreasing agent admitted to be used. The letter also indicated that residual wastes from the on-site processes may have been landfilled on the site property. NJDEP personnel noted that four large black tanks were present on the edge of a large filled-in area situated in the rear of the site. The tanks were at the top of an embankment leading down to the unnamed tributary to Bound Brook. Five large tanks were observed in this area by EPA on March 30, 1994 and again on June 8, 1994. The tanks were removed from the site prior to the HRS sampling event.

Several metals, volatile organic compounds (VOCs), and a PCB were detected in the soil and sediment samples collected as part of a September 11, 1986 Site Inspection (SI). Soil, surface water and sediment samples were also sampled as part of a SIP conducted by EPA on June 8, 1994. The results indicated concentrations of PCBs and TCE in the site soils significantly above background levels. From a sampling event conducted on February 29, 1996, PCB, alpha-Chlordane, and TCE were detected in the site soils sampled at levels significantly above background. PCBs were detected in sediment samples at levels significantly above background.

The PCB contamination detected in the sediments of the unnamed tributary to Bound Brook documents the actual contamination of a surface water body. Additionally, the actual contamination of greater than 0.1 mile of wetland frontage in the unnamed tributary to Bound Brook was documented. At least two fisheries are known to exist within the target distance limit for the surface water pathway.

A significant number of people obtain their drinking water from the Middlesex and Elizabethtown Water Companies, both of which operate potable water supply wells within four miles of the site. The majority of the wells tap the Brunswick Shale Formation, although eight of Middlesex Water Company's 31 wells tap the overburden aquifer. Approximately 60 residential potable water supply wells were sampled and results indicated levels of TCE in excess of the Maximum Contaminant Level established for that substance. However, there is no quality assurance/quality control documentation available for the analytical data and no monitoring wells are present on or downgradient of the CDE site that could establish the presence of a groundwater plume. To date, 93 residences have been connected to the local municipal water supply system and future connections are planned.
The Woodbrook Road Dump site (Dismal Swamp) is an inactive, non-permitted dumping area located in South Plainfield, Middlesex County, New Jersey. The site, which is bisected by Bound Brook, has approximately 34 acres. It is located on two undeveloped properties north of Woodbrook Road. The properties are within wetlands of the Dismal Swamp, a natural wildlife refuge designated as "priority wetlands" by the U.S. Fish and Wildlife Service and the U.S. Environmental Protection Agency (EPA).

EPA conducted an Integrated Assessment at the site in July 2000. Surface water, sediment, drinking water well, and background soil samples were collected. The results of the sampling showed PCBs in on-site soil samples at elevated concentrations. Lead and other hazardous substances detected in on-site soils at elevated concentrations include bis(2-ethylhexyl)phthalate, benzo(a)anthracene, benzo(b)fluoranthene, benzo(a)pyrene, indeno(1,2,3-cd)pyrene, antimony, arsenic, barium, cadmium, chromium, cobalt, mercury, and zinc.

PCBs were detected in the surface water and sediment samples collected from the Secondary Tributary at elevated concentrations. The Secondary Tributary receives runoff from the area where the leaking capacitors were found. The surface water and sediment samples contaminated with PCBs delineate approximately 4,370 feet of wetland frontage subject to actual contamination. There are approximately 11 additional miles of wetland frontage along the surface water pathway potentially threatened beyond the contaminated portion. The contaminated stream within the Dismal Swamp converges into Bound Brook, which since 1998 has a fish consumption advisory due to PCB contamination related to a site located within 1.4 mile downstream of the Woodbrook Road Dump site.

The property owner has found evidence of people using the site for recreation. The trails at the site are used for nature hikes. Hunters and recreational vehicle users have been observed in the area where the leaking capacitors where found despite actions taken by the property owner and EPA to limit access. Preventive measures included installation of a fence and warning signs around the disposal area, and installation of guard rails and warning signs at access points to the site.

Ground water threatened by the Woodbrook Road Dump site serves approximately 62,000 people. The downstream surface water pathway includes Bound Brook and the Raritan River, which are classified as fisheries. The total population within 4 miles of the site is approximately 186,000 people. There are approximately 3,000 acres of wetlands located within four miles of the site.
so, having found all this lovely stuff happening in my area, i thought i'd take the time to let the rest of you know. the epa's index search page can be found here and an a-z listing of FAQs about most of the substances listed in the reports can be found here.

note that drinking water is carefully filtered, treated, and tested. i just went to my town library to check the water testing results (conducted by various independant labs), and they look good.

otoh, if you plant veggies in your back yard or if your house is on well water, you should definitely look into what's going on in your area.

Paul

When in doubt, think about penguins. It probably won't help, but at least it'll be fun.
Hack from Nowheresville
Hack from Nowheresville
Mmmmm Paul... that all sounds lovely!

Helga
(Who spent a large part of her formative years living close to this... laugh

[Linked Image]

Knowledge is knowing that tomatoes are a fruit.

Intelligence is not putting them in a fruit salad.
Pulitzer
Pulitzer
And don't forget all the old underground storage tanks that are leaking gasoline wink Service stations that stayed in business have probably updated theirs, but the stations that just closed and are still sitting there probably have leaky USTs.

Just to add to the general cheer of the thread wink

Helga, that looked like a nuclear plant...? I grew up near one, too (not quite as near as in that picture, tho!) -- you may recognize the name: Three Mile Island. That's the one that had a problem in the late seventies -- there for a while they were afraid it would melt down. My family evacuated -- that's actually one of my clearest childhood memories <g>

On the whole, though, I still think nuclear power is the cleanest way we have for generating substantial amounts of energy.

PJ
who lives fairly close to the Sharon Harris nuclear plant smile

"You told me you weren't like other men," she said, shaking her head at him when the storm of laughter had passed.
He grinned at her - a goofy, Clark Kent kind of a grin. "I have a gift for understatement."
"You can say that again," she told him.
"I have a...."
"Oh, shut up."

--Stardust, Caroline K
Columnist
Columnist
Around my neck of the woods, we have peach trees(we're known as the Peach Capital of the World, if fact). The only real contamination we might get is from the pesticides used to spray the trees. In that aspect, I guess I'm fortunate. I would have hated to get up every morning and look out on that, Helga. I guess that's the price we pay for technology. huh

SQD (who encourages others to tell about what's in their backyards)

MLT Offline
Merriwether
Merriwether
Wow! I look out my window into my backyard and all I see is trees - as far as the eye can see. And hiding between those trees are bears and deer and skunks and porcupines and chipmunks and beavers and about a million rabbits.

And although I really hate it when the bears eat my berries or when a skunk or porcupine has an encounter with my dog (who is free to wander every inch of my land) or when the beavers decide to dam up my creek, I'll take my trees over what the rest of you seem to have to look at on a daily basis.

Every so often, someone offers to pay me to cut down my trees or to buy my land. But if I have any say in it, those trees will still be standing on the day of my death (well, except for the ones I cut down to burn for heat).

ML (who will now go outside to look into a star filled sky - unhindered by any light pollution - and thank the maker for allowing her to live in the wilderness wink )
wave

She was in such a good mood she let all the pedestrians in the crosswalk get to safety before taking off again.
- CC Aiken, The Late Great Lois Lane
Pulitzer
Pulitzer
Wow, I have such a boring backyard compared to you guys (or at least when I'm home at my folks house to *have* a backyard). I look out the window, and I see a house. It's this mustardy yellow color...looks like they never really painted it. It's where the country club estates start. (We don't play golf or tennis, hence we see no reason to join the country club.)

Jen

"Meg...who let you back in the house?" -Family Guy
Hack from Nowheresville
Hack from Nowheresville
I'm in Illinois. We have corn. Lots and lots of corn. And soybeans. Ugh. Can't ya just feel my joy?

You've gotta be original, because if you're like someone else, what do they need you for?
~Bernadette Peters
Merriwether
Merriwether
My backyard has a shed, and a flowerbed I need to weed, and an arbor I need to fix, and a yard I need to mow... maybe I ought to do that stuff... nah. smile

I found a few places around my area with landfills, but couldn't find the descriptions like you did, Paul.

Illinois also has.. er, it has.. um. Never mind. Unless you're in Southern Illinois, then you can hang out at the Garden of the Gods and Hole-in-Rock. Where are you, Caroline? laugh

"You need me. You wouldn't be much of a hero without a villain. And you do love being the hero, don't you. The cheering children, the swooning women, you love it so much, it's made you my most reliable accomplice." -- Lex Luthor to Superman, Question Authority, Justice League Unlimited
Hack from Nowheresville
Hack from Nowheresville
About 40-ish miles outside of Chicago. Joliet area. LOL so its not *that* much corn. We have more than one grocery store so I guess it's not a hick town. Right???

You've gotta be original, because if you're like someone else, what do they need you for?
~Bernadette Peters
Merriwether
Merriwether
LOL. Well, since you're that close to Chicago, I wouldn't call it a hick town. If you were further away, then there might be a chance! wink

"You need me. You wouldn't be much of a hero without a villain. And you do love being the hero, don't you. The cheering children, the swooning women, you love it so much, it's made you my most reliable accomplice." -- Lex Luthor to Superman, Question Authority, Justice League Unlimited
Merriwether
Merriwether
Caroline, that's the area my mom grew up! smile

I have no backyard... I live in an apartment. But my (fairly large) balcony illustrates two theories I have: you can never have too many plants (hanging, sitting along all the walls, in windowboxes...); and you can never have too many windchimes! As far as larger "backyards" go, I live about 10 miles from the Pacific. I'll take that over just about any other view, anyday. laugh

Do you know the most surprising thing about divorce? It doesn't actually kill you, like a bullet to the heart or a head-on car wreck. It should. When someone you've promised to cherish till death do you part says, "I never loved you," it should kill you instantly.

- Under the Tuscan Sun
Q
Qex Offline
Blogger
Blogger
Q
I'd settle for my own room, let alone a back yard. smile1

The is rest just lots and lots of restaurants, clothing and souvenir shops, and other residential buildings.

Beat Reporter
Beat Reporter
Horse manure laugh but we actually pick it up and put it in a pile and then neighbors come in their pickups and scoop it up and take it away so its in THEIR backyards thumbsup

Y
Top Banana
Top Banana
Y
Oh, gosh, don't even get me started about what's in *my* backyard. Okay, I am pretty sure that it isn't pollution, but who knows. Everyone that knows the stories that I tell about my dad and his crazy ideas on IRC will understand this.

Okay, I live in a fairly large city, the largest suburb of Cleveland, Ohio (and Cleveland is very industrial -- so polluted that the Cuyahoga River was on fire years ago.) But I digressed. My house is in a delopement that surrounds some of the only green space in the city that isn't a park (it's a very small forrest that is about 2 blocks long) and my parents purposely bought a house whose backyard faces on the woodland. We have a creek in our back yard and often see deer and other cute animals that make my dog go crazy in our back yard.

When my parents first moved into this house before I was born, the back yard was a complete forrest. But then sequentially through the years my dad had "visions" of what he should change our backyard into. Oh and don't be mistaken, we don't have acres of land -- we have a 50 foot lot with a creek and a woods behind.

So when I was about 7 my dad started cuttnig down trees to build his first deck. Yes I said first deck. So he cleared the area close to my house and built this massive deck that is just outside the addition/sun room that they put on the house. But one massive deck just wasn't good enough for him so then he put up a shed.

And that was sort of sufficient for him for a few years... until... he retired 3 years ago. And then he became "Mr. Crazy Gardener." So he decided to turn our woods into a "woodland garden." One thing to remember about my dad is that he never plans anything in advance, he just goes to the plant store (never go with him if he meantions the dirt store, hertz nursery, or the rock store... and yes, these places do exist... believe me). Okay, back to the story. My dad just goes and buys these... plants... luckily now he is working exclusively in the back yard and not the front yard any more (oh that's a different story entirely... my sister and I hated this one plant he had so much that we would purposely try to run it over with our cars, pick at it when we went out to walk the dog or get the mail, and finally to kill it we poured a combination of bug spray, turpentine, and wall paper remover on it). But I digress.

Now obviously in order to plant his plants around the trees, he needs drainage ditches. Why? We still aren't entirely sure. I guess, even though he builds downward sloping mounds of dirt (that he buys from the dirt store), he still needs to drain the water to the creek after it rains. Okay, fine, I guess if he wants to do that it's fine. But who do you think he made dig all the ditches? That's right. Me. And then he put this drain pipe in the ditches and covered them with rocks from the rock store. The funny thing is... the ditches don't work.

Now, our back yard has about 20 mounds of dirt with his "beautiful gardens" consisting of plants that don't even come close to matching... I wish I had a picture because it's hillarious... surrounded by drainage ditches that don't work. Yes, *each* garden mound of dirt is surrounded by a drainage ditch. So, you may ask, why did he have to go out and buy dirt when he was digging big holes right around the area he wanted to plant? That question remains unanswered to this day.

And now we've covered his "gardens." Now, I must address his "decks." Yes I said deck*s* plural. His massive deck right outside the door (which for some strange reason he has removed the step from and my mom can't even step out the door any more because of her arthritis) has been joined by another deck a little farther down the hill. Oh, yes, I must add that the drainage ditches are again pointless because we live on a large hill that slopes DOWN TO THE CREEK... the obvious path for water. But God forbid we tell him that wink . Anway, there is now another deck a bit further down the hill wiht steps that lead down to the creek. Okay, why are there steps leading down to the creek? Are we going to jump in for a swim or something? Yeah right.

So what is the project for this year? We thought that the yard was complete. Of course it isn't... not for my dad. He decided that we need another deck. Obviously. So he dug a big hole in the area just to the left of the second deck. Only this deck isn't going to be made of wood. It's going to be made of bricks. Does he have a plan? Nope. Does he have an idea of what he wants to do? Nope. Does he come in every day after hours of working in the yard and complain about it -- and how my dog likes to do his business on the new deck (because it used to be his run around area and now it is deck... poor Maxie is confused) and how he can't cut the wood to make the steps? Of course he does.

Oh and the fountins. I can't believe I forgot about his precious fountins. Right in the middle of the first deck, he bought this weird-looking fountain. Originally it was going to have flowers in it, but now he's given up on that idea. He just likes to see the water flowing. But there's a problem my dog likes to drink that water when he is outside and the animals from the woods always come out and drink it... so he can't understand why there is never any water in the fountain. Yes, he does put on a humerous show talking about the fountains. So what did he do when he thought the fountain wasn't working? He bought another one... obviously. So now we have 2 fountains in our back yard... and he has to re-fill both of them every day. And he wonders why the water bill is so high in the summertime. Obviously.

It is also very funny because my dad always screams and my sister and me that we never come outside. Well, I don't like bugs, I'm allergic to just about everything, and I hate nature. So why would I like to look at his garden wonderland? And my sister is even worse than I am! And my mom is sick. So the only person that ever goes outside to "enjoy" the "beautiful backyard" is my crazy father. And that's when he dreams up his new plans. And we run and hide.
Oh no, speaking of the back yard, I just realized that I left my poor puppy out there and it is pourning rain. Usually, he barks for me to let him in after a few minutes. Whoops.

- Alicia smile
now I'm smart and changed back to Alicia from Andrus smile

Laura "The Yellow Dart" U. (Alicia U. on the archive)

"A hero is an ordinary individual who finds the strength to persevere and endure in spite of overwhelming obstacles." -- Christopher Reeve
HatMan Offline OP
Pulitzer
OP Offline
Pulitzer
rotflol alicia!

Paul, fighting to type straight while laughing

When in doubt, think about penguins. It probably won't help, but at least it'll be fun.
Hack from Nowheresville
Hack from Nowheresville
Alica! laugh I think your dad should meet my parents (latest project: building a marsh using the rain water run off from the roof... )

To be honest, when I said close to I meant within 20 miles, but I think that's close enough...

Yes Pam, that is a nuclear power station, Sellafield to be exact. I could go on for hours about it, but I'll spare you all the details, just type the name into a search engine and enjoy! smile

It's located on the edge of the Lake District, one of our National Parks, so most of the time we got to look at something like this...

[Linked Image]

However, climb any one of those mountains, and admire the view of the hills, the lakes, the sea, the Isle of Man on a good day, oh yes and the itsy-bitsy nuclear power station. Lovely!

Helga
(Probably more scarred by the tourists than the radiation... smile )

Knowledge is knowing that tomatoes are a fruit.

Intelligence is not putting them in a fruit salad.
A
Beat Reporter
Beat Reporter
A
Well, I know that there was a lot of dumping going on in Pompton Lakes, NJ by the DuPont plant that closed (I lived one town over in Oakland and my father-in-law used to work for DuPont years ago).

Now, we live in beautiful, rustic Sussex County. We live in a condo, so we don't really have a back yard, just a tiny little garden that we're not allowed to plant. Part of our monthly maintenaince goes to a landscaper that does very little but mow and snow removal. We have bent the rules a little and planted tulips on occasion, but they never seem to bloom after that first year. My hubby and I were both born with purple thumbs...

Most of Sussex County looks just like ML's description...and that's the way we like it! thumbsup

Anne >^,,^<

"I only know how to make four things, and this is the only one without chocolate." Lois Lane "All My I've Got a Crush on You 10/24/1993
Freelance Reporter
Freelance Reporter
Dirt, bricks, tiles and mini-hill. Over the hill you see another house, with a nice backyard, typical suburbia.

Moderated by  KSaraSara 

Link Copied to Clipboard