Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
#197150 06/09/03 04:09 PM
IreneD Offline OP
Columnist
OP Offline
Columnist
Just a warning to anyone who might receive an email from me containing an attachment - DELETE IT IMMEDIATELY AND EMPTY YOUR RECYCLE BIN.

We just found out tonight that we were infected with Bugbear.

We've managed to successfully remove it, but I'd hate for it to spread using my computer and email contacts.

Irene frown

I try to take one day at a time, but sometimes several days attack me at once.
E
Columnist
Columnist
E
Isn't this the hoax that tells you to delete jdbmgr or something like that? Go to Norton Antivirus and make sure. They have a fix if it was the hoax.

I believe there's a hero in all of us that keeps us honest, gives us strength, makes us noble, and finally allows us to die with pride, even though sometimes we have to be steady and give up the thing we want the most. Even our dreams. -- Aunt May, Spider-Man 2
IreneD Offline OP
Columnist
OP Offline
Columnist
I don't know about a hoax, Emily. This was a real virus that we had to download a fix for. I've been so paranoid since, I've run a virus scan every day since then.

Irene

I try to take one day at a time, but sometimes several days attack me at once.
Beat Reporter
Beat Reporter
This is from the McAfee website

A new version of the JDBGMGR.EXE hoax is circulating, which is tricking users into deleting a file that uses a bear icon. This file, JDBGMGR.EXE, is not related to the W32/Bugbear@MM virus.
The question is which one were you warned about?

Merriwether
Merriwether
I also thought this sounded like the hoax one, so I checked snopes.com when Irene first posted... and snopes say bugbear is all too real. frown

You know, you can automate daily virus checks with most programs...

Do you know the most surprising thing about divorce? It doesn't actually kill you, like a bullet to the heart or a head-on car wreck. It should. When someone you've promised to cherish till death do you part says, "I never loved you," it should kill you instantly.

- Under the Tuscan Sun
Y
Top Banana
Top Banana
Y
Yes, it is real. Unfortunately, a lot of my university was infected. I recieved 3 strange emails from professors that were affected with the virus. Luckily, my virus scanner caught them.

- Alicia

Laura "The Yellow Dart" U. (Alicia U. on the archive)

"A hero is an ordinary individual who finds the strength to persevere and endure in spite of overwhelming obstacles." -- Christopher Reeve

Moderated by  KSaraSara 

Link Copied to Clipboard