Print Thread
#196876 05/24/03 01:26 AM
E
EmilyH Offline OP
Columnist
OP Offline
Columnist
E
Everytime I start up my computer, it says, "Error! Could not download application! Please try again!" I tried deleting all my cookies and using AdAware to get rid of spyware, but it still comes up. I did try looking for this on the Microsoft site and other places, but no one seems to really know how to fix it. Anyone else ever come across it? I don't use Kazaa or other song downloading programs. So it has to be something else, but what, I have no clue.

I believe there's a hero in all of us that keeps us honest, gives us strength, makes us noble, and finally allows us to die with pride, even though sometimes we have to be steady and give up the thing we want the most. Even our dreams. -- Aunt May, Spider-Man 2
#196877 05/24/03 12:39 PM
Pulitzer
Pulitzer
my dad's comp got an error like that when it came down with a case of klez. maybe you should try scanning your system for viruses. klez did this neat trick where it would shut down my virus software. you can use mcafee's free online scanner to check your computer remotedly, if you want. the page for that is here.

another possibility is that one of the programs on your computer is set to automatically connect to some website for an update or something. does the window say what program is giving the error?

Paul

When in doubt, think about penguins. It probably won't help, but at least it'll be fun.
#196878 05/25/03 04:28 AM
E
EmilyH Offline OP
Columnist
OP Offline
Columnist
E
I have Norton AV both on my system and my Yahoo web-based mail account, and I never download anything that looks suspicious. So it can't be a virus. I will, however, try scanning anyway.

It doesn't give the name of any specific program either.

I'm guessing it's spyware that Ad Aware didn't detect. Is there any way to check this?

I believe there's a hero in all of us that keeps us honest, gives us strength, makes us noble, and finally allows us to die with pride, even though sometimes we have to be steady and give up the thing we want the most. Even our dreams. -- Aunt May, Spider-Man 2
#196879 05/25/03 04:49 AM
Boards Chief Administrator Emeritus
Nobel Peace Prize Winner
Boards Chief Administrator Emeritus
Nobel Peace Prize Winner
Emily, have you tried Spychecker ?

I use this program frequently after surfing the net and it picks up most everything that's been tacked on to my system.

LabRat smile

Athos: If you'd told us what you were doing, we might have been able to plan this properly.
Aramis: Yes, sorry.
Athos: No, no, by all means, let's keep things suicidal.

The Musketeers
#196880 05/25/03 09:00 AM
E
EmilyH Offline OP
Columnist
OP Offline
Columnist
E
Thanks, guys. I ran a virus scan but it didn't find anything. I let the full system scan run for about 3 hours.

#196881 05/27/03 12:40 PM
E
EmilyH Offline OP
Columnist
OP Offline
Columnist
E
Finally solved this. I ran Spybot the first time and it locked up, then I downloaded an update and ran it again. It worked the second time. When I rebooted, the pop-up didn't come up again. So it was definitely adware or spyware.

Moderated by  KSaraSara 

Link Copied to Clipboard