Lois & Clark Fanfic Message Boards
Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Page 2 of 2 1 2
#196752 05/24/03 10:35 PM
Top Banana
Top Banana
Poor Kaethel! Don't give up hope, there may be a solution somewhere.

I've been playing with my dad's computer (has XP home edition and does the same thing as Kaethel's, but that post got lost in the crash) and haven't been able to figure out why it reboots itself. So I called my tech guy and this time he knew of the problem! yay! He said it happens more often, but has no idea what it is or how to solve it. However, the problem doesn't occur with XP Pro, that version is more reliable and stable.

So my problem is solved, I'm getting a new laptop with XP Pro and buy my own printer so I won't have to use my dad's computer ever again.

Is it possible for you, Kaethel, to get that version too? It should save you a lot of problems and worries.

Saskia

I tawt I taw a puddy cat!
#196753 05/24/03 11:01 PM
Kaethel Offline OP
Top Banana
OP Offline
Top Banana
Saskia, it's what Microsoft suggested. But I replied to them with a major rant saying no way. I bought XP Home last month (for a heck of a lot of money), assuming it would work. I never expected to regret Millenium so badly, but I do! So unless they *give* me XP pro, I'm not going to install it, because I won't spend another € 105 in Microsoft products, when I'm not even sure it's going to work (since for € 105 I would only get an upgrade, not the whole thing).

I'm glad you figured out the problem with your dad's computer. smile Yes, it does seem to be XP Home that is very unstable and unreliable. On the other hand, Elena uses XP Home on her laptop and never had any problem. But it came pre-installed. Weirdly enough, though, my computer guy says I'm the only customer of his who encountered that problem. When I explained that apparently the problem occurred with XP Home and not XP pro, he was surprised because he says it's the same basis for the OS. razz )

- I'm your partner. I'm your friend.
- Is that what we are?
- Oh, you know what? I don't know what we are. We kiss and then we never talk about it. We nearly die frozen in each other's arms, but we never talk about it, so no, I got no clue what we are.

~ Rick Castle and Kate Beckett ~ Knockout ~
#196754 06/16/03 07:14 AM
Kaethel Offline OP
Top Banana
OP Offline
Top Banana
Thought I would give a heads up in case other people want to try something on XP. My computer has been running smoothly and without a blip for 9 days now, and that all thanks to the most patient, wonderful, awesome, genial, brilliant techie ever (hey John!), who remotely entered my system (that's a very spiffy XP support device, actually) and reinstalled more recent drivers on the sound card. It seems that it was what created the reboots, although I imagine that changing the memory chip must have done something as well (after it was changed, the reboots only happened when I closed RealOne Player, as opposed to happening with, well, every programme).

So it might be worth a try for those of you who have reboots problems. Check your drivers and your memory chip, and see if everything is compatible. smile

Kaethel smile

- I'm your partner. I'm your friend.
- Is that what we are?
- Oh, you know what? I don't know what we are. We kiss and then we never talk about it. We nearly die frozen in each other's arms, but we never talk about it, so no, I got no clue what we are.

~ Rick Castle and Kate Beckett ~ Knockout ~
Page 2 of 2 1 2

Moderated by  KSaraSara 

Link Copied to Clipboard