Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Y
Top Banana
OP Offline
Top Banana
Y
Ok, I might be the only person that finds this absolutely hillarious, but I am going to post it anyway because it made me laugh for a long time.

A little background: I am a teaching assistant for a computer modeling biomedical engineering class and my students had a project to turn in on Monday and the professor and I are just now reading the reports. One group's report had me absolutely in stitches! They listened to my request to make their reports as funny and as interesting as possible and they covered all of the pages with cute stickers and little crayon drawings smile (Dr. Otani was jealous that I got the "special copy").

Anyway, here are some quotes that had me ROTFLMAO - and that is hard to do in this class - so I just had to share them. These are all quotes that come directly from the project that this one group turned in.

"... Thank you Super [Alicia], queen of all TAs."

"... obligatory rhyme: by explaining the concept of creating nodes, we neared the understanding of the final code."

"In order for us to do this, we came up with the formula (aka Dr. Otani told us the formula)..."

"We had no clue on how to approach the solve circuit function and didn't really care..."

"[Alicia] worked with me (Kristen) on this over the internet and we narrowed down the problem to something I cannot remember right now. I would have to look it up. Hold on. Oh yeah, now I remember..."

"[Alicia] and I were really happy when we found that solve circuit worked ... then we talked about [Alicia's] scary canoeing accident. It makes me not want to go canoeing for senior week!"

"The Two Dimensional Heart AKA: 'Be Still My <2-D, Simulated> Heart! by Kristen Purkinje* F. *Denotes pseudonym not actual middle name."

"Success was achieved after midnight ... never was there a happier girl!"

"My pride and joy was figuring out how to make this color plot look more like a heart. I decided that I wanted to invest my time into a His-Purkinje system. Not only does it sound cool when I tell my parents (and friends, and strangers,...) that "I made a model of a 2-D heart with a His- Purkinje system..."

"... then decreasing the other resistivity will make it even better. It did. I was happy."

"Here are some still shot plots of my heart as it progresses through one beat. It's very exciting. I will walk you through it. (You will love it just like all the other poor souls who were nearby while I was doing this.) Pretend I keep tapping you on the arm at certain intervals saying, 'oooooh, look, look, it's starting to repolarize there!'"

And finally,

"The last plot shows the entire heart engulfed in repolarization. Yay heart! Ok, I lied, that wasn't the last plot... 'Thanks for watching' (That's what I say to everyone who spends the three minutes watching the plot)"

I don't know, I was laughing so hard reading this lab (and looking at the colorful crayon and stickers) that I nearly spilled pop out of my mouth - which is easy to do because half of my mouth is numb anyway. Or maybe my brain is numb because I just spent 4.5 hours listening to horribly boring statistics projects and almost anything is funny to me now smile1

Laura "The Yellow Dart" U. (Alicia U. on the archive)

"A hero is an ordinary individual who finds the strength to persevere and endure in spite of overwhelming obstacles." -- Christopher Reeve
Pulitzer
Pulitzer
rotflol nope, you're not the only one, alicia. smile thanks for sharing.

reminds me of a silly program i wrote on a test in c programming class a few years back... don't remember the exact code, but it started off like this (more or less):

double double (int toil, double trouble)
/*fire burn and cauldron bubble*/

and then proceeded to double the toil variable and output it to a new version of trouble, or something like that. anyway, it was fun. smile

always good to spice up these lab reports and things.

Paul

When in doubt, think about penguins. It probably won't help, but at least it'll be fun.
Y
Top Banana
OP Offline
Top Banana
Y
LOL, Paul! That is so funny! The girl that wrote the funniest parts of the report I am grading right now uses a very similar code as her away message on AIM smile . I think great minds must think alike (you and Kristen smile ).

- Alicia

"A hero is an ordinary individual who finds the strength to persevere and endure in spite of overwhelming obstacles." -- Christopher Reeve
Pulitzer
Pulitzer
scary, that. one of me is bad enough sometimes... wink

wonder if your friend kristen has seen this ... evil

Paul, who can't program, but, as a nerd, is happy to share the jokes

When in doubt, think about penguins. It probably won't help, but at least it'll be fun.
Merriwether
Merriwether
thumbsup , Alicia! laugh Thanks for sharing!

Golly, I wish my chem labs had been that fun and informal!

Do you know the most surprising thing about divorce? It doesn't actually kill you, like a bullet to the heart or a head-on car wreck. It should. When someone you've promised to cherish till death do you part says, "I never loved you," it should kill you instantly.

- Under the Tuscan Sun
E
Columnist
Columnist
E
"We had no clue on how to approach the solve circuit function and didn't really care..."
LOL!!! At least it wasn't in an infinite loop.

double double (int toil, double trouble)
/*fire burn and cauldron bubble*/
ROTFL! That's a good one.

Here's a couple I wrote a long time ago when I was still taking computer programming classes.

http://www.starbase-eprime.us/jokes.html

And another version of the Chicken program for Visual Basic programmers:

http://www.starbase-eprime.us/vbhumor.html

I believe there's a hero in all of us that keeps us honest, gives us strength, makes us noble, and finally allows us to die with pride, even though sometimes we have to be steady and give up the thing we want the most. Even our dreams. -- Aunt May, Spider-Man 2
Pulitzer
Pulitzer
Alicia, that was very funny! smile I don't know much about hearts depolarizing (or whatever goofy ) but that didn't seem to be a barrier to enjoying the comments smile

Good thing your students have a prof. with a sense of humor. I heard a case just recently where one silly remark got an entire classful of med students into trouble as the administration at their school went insane. I can't even remember all the facets of their "punishment" but I think there were at least 7-8 different things... trust me, it was preposterous.

PJ

"You told me you weren't like other men," she said, shaking her head at him when the storm of laughter had passed.
He grinned at her - a goofy, Clark Kent kind of a grin. "I have a gift for understatement."
"You can say that again," she told him.
"I have a...."
"Oh, shut up."

--Stardust, Caroline K
Y
Top Banana
OP Offline
Top Banana
Y
Paul, I sent that link to my student and she thought it was really funny.

Rivka, I wish the labs I took as an undergrad had been that fun, too. I took this class last year and it was not nearly as fun (probably because the TA was psycho - and I am a nice TA).

Emily, those codes were really funny! I sent them to my student, too. I don't code in C, though, and I haven't used it in about 4 years so I am really rusty. I code in Matlab and Mathmatica - much easier languages wink . And it actually was in an infinite loop (a while(1)) but it was supposed to be in one, so it was ok.

Pam, I am really lucky that this professor is so nice. I am also sort of lucky that he delegates a lot of the responsibility for the class to me smile . Dr. Otani is the best professor at Case, hands down - and he is the only professor I would try anything like this with. And I am probably the only TA anyone would try it with. That is absolutely horrible about those med students! I couldn't imagine all of the things that would happen to me as punishment if I were in that school because I like to do crazy things. Like on one project we had to do as undergrads (in our physiology class), my partner in crime and I decided that since we were modeling the heart, why don't we cut out little construction paper hearts for our black boxes in the model? So we cut out about 200 colored hearts and made our diagram of the heart with little hearts. This TA liked it, so for the next project - a model of the lungs - we made a life-sized paper cut out of a human torso and then made the model of the lungs in the places on the torso and head where they were supposed to be.

I had way too much fun as an undergrad and I am really rubbing off on my students smile .

- Alicia

Moderated by  KSaraSara 

Link Copied to Clipboard