Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
#196541 05/06/03 02:53 PM
Blogger
OP Offline
Blogger
Hi!

My name's Rose and I'm new to the FoLC community.. (actually I've been a lurker for a while) and I was wondering if there are any FoLCs on ICQ? My number is 334638921 and I'd appreciate ya'll giving me a buzz!

Type at ya later smile

Rose

peep

#196542 05/06/03 04:19 PM
Columnist
Columnist
Hi Rose, and welcome! I'm on ICQ, at least on the computer that isn't online right now - which is why I can't remember my number offhand. But I've been toying with putting it on the staff room computer, so maybe we can chat later.

As I said, welcome. Hope to get you know better soon smile

Melisma (heading off for an afternoon nap, here under her Rock)

Do, or do not. There is no try.
- Yoda
#196543 05/06/03 05:39 PM
Pulitzer
Pulitzer
well, i used to use ICQ a lot, but my friends kind of migrated over to AIM. eventually, i gave in. smile most folcs i know use AIM, if anything.

you can get it free from netscape, and it works even if you use IE. you even get a free webmail account with it, which i find handy. i use it for the ficlist, mainly.

Paul

When in doubt, think about penguins. It probably won't help, but at least it'll be fun.
#196544 05/07/03 03:25 AM
Pulitzer
Pulitzer
Um... AIM comes with webmail? I don't think I ever knew that... just think how many spam-mails have been piling up over the past few years eek

PJ
(ChPam on AIM)

"You told me you weren't like other men," she said, shaking her head at him when the storm of laughter had passed.
He grinned at her - a goofy, Clark Kent kind of a grin. "I have a gift for understatement."
"You can say that again," she told him.
"I have a...."
"Oh, shut up."

--Stardust, Caroline K
#196545 05/07/03 05:02 AM
A
Columnist
Columnist
A
Yeah, I'm with Paul. I had ICQ at one point in the distant past. But I've long since moved to AIM and don't have ICQ anymore. But anyone who has AIM is more than welcome to chat with me. smile AnnieM0616

And I didn't know it came with a webmail account either. Interesting. I do know that when you install the netscape communicator package it is included. And it is integrated in my Outlook Express. Interesting.

Annie

Being a reporter is as much a diagnosis as a job description. ~Anna Quindlen
#196546 05/07/03 07:21 AM
Pulitzer
Pulitzer
Yup yup, same here. I don't have ICQ, but AIM name is spacelabrat, anyone and everyone feel free to say anytime. :p

"Meg...who let you back in the house?" -Family Guy
#196547 05/07/03 08:09 AM
Pulitzer
Pulitzer
hmm. i don't know. when i signed up with AIM, i was using netscape as my main browser. maybe i got it with the package you mentioned, annie. in any case, when i signed up it told me that i had a new webmail addy all to myself, which used my screenname and password.

it's available off netscape's homepage, but if you haven't used yours in a while (if you even got one), it's probably gone.

you can sign up for a new one, though. highly reccomended if you need webmail. you don't get spam from them (unlike hotmail, they don't sell their addy lists and then build optional spam filters), it's fast and reliable (unlike go.com mail which can sometimes take over a week to show up in your inbox), and it has some nice features.

like i said, i use it for my ficlist mail.

a cool little extra is that if you have it linked to your AIM account, AIM will let you know when there's new mail and you can log into the account from the AIM menu.

oh, and i have my AIM ID, pgwfolc, listed in my boards profile. many other folcs do that, too.

Paul

When in doubt, think about penguins. It probably won't help, but at least it'll be fun.
#196548 05/07/03 12:13 PM
Y
Top Banana
Top Banana
Y
I don't have ICQ either, but I am always on AIM - and always looking for reasons to procrastinate. My IM is Alicia3456.

- Alicia

Laura "The Yellow Dart" U. (Alicia U. on the archive)

"A hero is an ordinary individual who finds the strength to persevere and endure in spite of overwhelming obstacles." -- Christopher Reeve
#196549 05/07/03 02:36 PM
Merriwether
Merriwether
As Paul said, many of us have our AIM ids listed with our profiles. But I'm laugh to share mine here, too. It's rivkagila. Say hi anytime!

Do you know the most surprising thing about divorce? It doesn't actually kill you, like a bullet to the heart or a head-on car wreck. It should. When someone you've promised to cherish till death do you part says, "I never loved you," it should kill you instantly.

- Under the Tuscan Sun
#196550 05/07/03 04:05 PM
Blogger
OP Offline
Blogger
I *knew* you FoLCs were friendly wink

I have AIM too, but I just wanted to try ICQ (kind of like getting a new toy for Christmas.. laugh ) and wanted to get someone who's friendly! Thanks for the hi's and hello's smile

Rose

Butterfli1001 on AIM

#196551 05/10/03 10:33 AM
Hack from Nowheresville
Hack from Nowheresville
Can someone help me out here? What is AIM?

I thought I knew, however, from everyone's saying, I'm not so sure... confused

Thanks

Loriel

"Inappropriate attachment" didn't begin to cover the depth of the feelings Vaughn had for Sydney Bristow.
~Ties That Bind by RJ Anderson~

I ramble at http://www.livejournal.com/~loriel_eris
#196552 05/10/03 10:52 AM
Pulitzer
Pulitzer
AOL Instant Messenger. It's really fun, and it's free.

Do you hop on IRC at all? It's...sort of like that...except different...scratch that LOL. Here's the scoop: you talk to an individual person in a little chat window...you can hold 20 conversations at one time if you want...but I can barely keep up with 4. They have chat rooms, too. The chat rooms are not moderated...any Joe Schmoe can create a room, but it's fun if you're talking to a bunch of friends online and you guys create a room for yourselves.

http://www.aim.com

"Meg...who let you back in the house?" -Family Guy
#196553 05/10/03 11:10 AM
Hack from Nowheresville
Hack from Nowheresville
Thanks! It's now on my list of 'Download When I Find The Time'! Lol!

Loriel

"Inappropriate attachment" didn't begin to cover the depth of the feelings Vaughn had for Sydney Bristow.
~Ties That Bind by RJ Anderson~

I ramble at http://www.livejournal.com/~loriel_eris
#196554 05/10/03 03:22 PM
Columnist
Columnist
Okay, I have now installed AIM on the computer I use most often here. My screen name is MelShpFoLC, and since I can't use IRC anymore from this IP, please put me on your buddy list and let me know what your screen name is, so I can chat with you. Also, my Yahoo Messenger name is MelismaMcGregor... I know we have MSN Messenger here, but I've never figured it out, and I don't know that a lot of you have it, either...

Melisma (a little more hopeful, here under her Rock, about being able to chat with her friends in real time...)

Do, or do not. There is no try.
- Yoda
#196555 05/11/03 11:46 AM
E
Columnist
Columnist
E
I used to use ICQ, but due to the amount of spam I got, I switched to MSN messenger. If anyone wants to chat, e-mail me first. I'm usually online in the evenings. smile

I believe there's a hero in all of us that keeps us honest, gives us strength, makes us noble, and finally allows us to die with pride, even though sometimes we have to be steady and give up the thing we want the most. Even our dreams. -- Aunt May, Spider-Man 2
#196556 05/26/03 03:57 PM
Blogger
OP Offline
Blogger
Thanks, you guys (and girls!) smile

RL just decided to hit me and so I've not had time to do much of anything.. My AIM nick is Butterfli1001 for those of you who have it and my icq # is in the first post.. (sorry don't have it open and don't remember it otherwise! wink Anyways, feel free to msg me anytime smile

Rose

#196557 05/26/03 04:07 PM
Hack from Nowheresville
Hack from Nowheresville
I don't have ICQ either! LOL My AIM name is BroadwayQueen06. I'm an aspiring actress. <g>

You've gotta be original, because if you're like someone else, what do they need you for?
~Bernadette Peters
#196558 05/27/03 09:53 AM
RL Offline
Top Banana
Top Banana
There's a cool freeware product called Trillian (www.trillian.cc, NOT .com), which is also available as a Pro version that costs money, that allows you to log into YM, ICQ, AIM, MSN, and IRC all simultaneously. It's also skinnable.

You can create groups and sort them by instant messenger type.

-- Roger

"The Constitution only gives people the right to pursue happiness. You have to catch it yourself." -- Benjamin Franklin
#196559 05/27/03 11:34 AM
Merriwether
Merriwether
Thanks for the recommendation, Roger! I'm going to try it. smile

BTW, please define "skinnable"?

Do you know the most surprising thing about divorce? It doesn't actually kill you, like a bullet to the heart or a head-on car wreck. It should. When someone you've promised to cherish till death do you part says, "I never loved you," it should kill you instantly.

- Under the Tuscan Sun
#196560 05/27/03 12:38 PM
RL Offline
Top Banana
Top Banana
Many software products are "skinnable," i.e. they have the capability of defining a different user interface. Examples of applications that can be skinned are Windows Media Player, WinAmp, WinDVD, MusicMatch Jukebox, etc.

Essentially you can replace the standard look of an app with your own design: different buttons, different colors, and so on, just by defining a template. You can either define your own or you can usually download one someone else made, and then change the UI through the app's skin chooser.

I even found one called WindowBlinds that allows you to make your Windows desktop look like a MacOS X Aqua desktop since it replaced all the icons, buttons, menu bars, and title bars with Mac-like equivalents.

-- Roger

"The Constitution only gives people the right to pursue happiness. You have to catch it yourself." -- Benjamin Franklin

Moderated by  KSaraSara 

Link Copied to Clipboard