Next Thread
Print Thread
Page 1 of 2 1 2
#196290 04/30/03 08:18 PM
BanAnna Offline OP
Columnist
OP Offline
Columnist
The Child of the 80s thread prompted me to start a thread about the Back to the Future Trilogy. Are there any other FoLCs out there who are BTTF fans?

I just bought the DVDs and I feel like I'm old friends with the Bobs because I've sat through almost 12 hours of them talking about the movie. laugh

My favorite on is 2 because I love the parts where they go back to 1955 and there is two of Marty and Doc and Biff, and all that that entails. I just think it's hilarious to watch. smile1

These have always been my favorite movies, anybody else agree? disagree? What do you love/dislike about them?

~Anna (who is wondering if a LnC/BTTF crossover would work)

#196291 04/30/03 08:49 PM
A
Columnist
Columnist
A
Well, I'm not a *huge* fan, but I've always loved the movies and tend to watch when I stumble across them on TV. I absolutely adore Michael J. Fox, so I'm sure that's a big part of why I love them. But I also just think their cute. I'm not sure which is my favorite. Probably the first one. I can't imagine how a cross-over would work, but stranger things have been done, so if you have an idea, go for it. smile

Annie

Being a reporter is as much a diagnosis as a job description. ~Anna Quindlen
#196292 04/30/03 09:02 PM
Freelance Reporter
Freelance Reporter
I'm not a huge fan, but my boyfriend is ... stupid boy bought them as soon as they came out and there went my original gift idea for valentine's day. grumble

Anyway, as a result, I've been forced to sit through all three and some of the special features until I finally admitted they were better than I remembered. smile

(who is wondering if a LnC/BTTF crossover would work)
Hmmm, let's see ... Biff (or is it Giff?), either way, teams up with Tempus to destroy Hill Valley and Superman in one fell swoop. Therefore, Clark and Marty have to team up with the help of Doc and H.G. Wells to stop the bad guys.

/me reads back over the last paragraph

Hmm, not bad ... maybe spending long hours sniffing art fixative fumes isn't as bad as I thought it would be .... :rolleyes:

Elle Roberts

She's a dancer who doesn't dance. He's a painter who doesn't paint. It's like a bohemian version of the Island of Misfit Toys. – “Igby Goes Down”
#196293 04/30/03 11:54 PM
Pulitzer
Pulitzer
Yeah, I'm a big fan -- careful, I'm about to show my age wink

I saw the movie when it first came out; I'd seen a glowing review in the paper. Loved it so much, I went back to see it again the next day. And then again the week after that. I took my mom to see it. Then I had to take my dad with me... oh, and then there was the time I saw it at the drive-in smile My mother was very worried about these so-called obsessive tendencies goofy

There was a movie magazine, which of course I bought.

I just loved the incredible amount of detail, even in really minor things. I think it was my second or third time through the movie before I realized that the Twin Pines Mall changed to the Lone Pine Mall after Marty had run over one of the trees. wink I guess I've always appreciated high-quality writing.

The sequels weren't quite the same, of course, but they were still pretty good -- I especially enjoyed the third one, though I did foresee the flaw in Doc's reasoning about Clara wink Oh, and where the heck did this "don't call me chicken" thing come from?? confused But it ended up being fairly cool.

"Sure and I hope you're thinking about the future, Mr. Eastwood." "I think about it all the time..." dance

PJ

"You told me you weren't like other men," she said, shaking her head at him when the storm of laughter had passed.
He grinned at her - a goofy, Clark Kent kind of a grin. "I have a gift for understatement."
"You can say that again," she told him.
"I have a...."
"Oh, shut up."

--Stardust, Caroline K
#196294 05/01/03 04:17 AM
B
Hack from Nowheresville
Hack from Nowheresville
B
Well, I'm not a huge fan -- don't own them yet. But, like Annie, I watch them when I stumble across them on TV and stuff. And now that my sis and my mom ditched town and my dad's at work...I'm gonna rent a lot of movies. /me adds BTTF to the list. <g>

And I love crossovers, Anna, so go for it!

Bethy

I don't suffer from insanity...I enjoy every minute of it.
#196295 05/01/03 04:17 AM
Hack from Nowheresville
Hack from Nowheresville
I've never seen any of then all the way through, just bits here and there, enough to know the general story. (I've seen the 'lightning stikin the clock' more time than I though possible tho!) I would love to see them , just never found the time, but I think you've convinced me, Pam! I love the little things like the mall changing name. For me, the details like that can be enough to sway me in deciding if I like a show/film.

Loriel (who has loved the bits she has seen!)

"Inappropriate attachment" didn't begin to cover the depth of the feelings Vaughn had for Sydney Bristow.
~Ties That Bind by RJ Anderson~

I ramble at http://www.livejournal.com/~loriel_eris
#196296 05/01/03 04:28 AM
Pulitzer
Pulitzer
Anyone who hasn't seen the trilogy, or would love to own it on DVD - this is the cheapest I've seen it anywhere.

http://www1.cd-wow.com/detail_results_2.php?product_code=2375

The website is www.cdwow.com - I use them all the time and they're very reliable. They ship worldwide for no charge, and will bill in whatever currency you want. This version of the DVD is in Region 2, but if you have a multiregion or hacked wink player it would work fine.

Wendy (great fan of BTTF!) smile

Just a fly-by! *waves*
#196297 05/01/03 04:30 AM
Pulitzer
Pulitzer
See, I knew I liked you, Loriel! smile1

Actually, it's about time I watched them again, myself -- hubby got me the 3-movie box set of DVDs for Christmas and we haven't watched them yet <g> But that's just because we were catching up on the first two seasons of Stargate... wink

Tell you what, I'll watch them if you will! goofy

PJ

"You told me you weren't like other men," she said, shaking her head at him when the storm of laughter had passed.
He grinned at her - a goofy, Clark Kent kind of a grin. "I have a gift for understatement."
"I have a...."
"Oh, shut up."

--Stardust, Caroline K
#196298 05/01/03 05:04 AM
Hack from Nowheresville
Hack from Nowheresville
Oh, don't encourage me! I clicked the link as soon as I saw it Wendy and I'm now swaying, back and forth as to whether or not I buy them! As for SG1, Pam, I've got S1 and 2 (from the US as we didn't have S1 here at all and no S2 boxed at the time, and it was way cheaper) and S3 from the UK. I'm trying to resist the temptation to buy 4 and 5 as I've got exams coming up and, perhaps more importantly, my credit card looks rather sick at the moment - I think I'm due shares in Amazon by now! Lol!

And time passed.

10 min later I'm £20 poorer! I'm blaming Wendy! wink

Loriel (the proud owner of BTTF in 2-3 days!)

"Inappropriate attachment" didn't begin to cover the depth of the feelings Vaughn had for Sydney Bristow.

#196299 05/01/03 05:44 AM
Pulitzer
Pulitzer
I guess these things go two ways... but it's horribly frustrating for me to see S3, 4, 5 etc available on amazon.co.uk because they won't be available here for another month or two yet... whinging Now if only I had a DVD player that would play Region 2 discs! <sigh>

They tell me that patience is a virtue. And it builds character. On the other hand, some would say I'm enough of a character as it is wink

PJ

"I have a...."
"Oh, shut up."

--Stardust, Caroline K
#196300 05/01/03 05:51 AM
Hack from Nowheresville
Hack from Nowheresville
Its only in the past 4 months (?) that we've had S1 on DVD here *at all*. For some odd reason, when they were bringing out individual DVDs, Volume 1 was the 'Best of S1' (4 random eps) and then Vol 2 started with S2?!? Then they finally brought out the box sets just before Christmas, and that was the 1st time S1 showed its face on DVD here in the UK. And look at it this way, you get it on TV way before us in the UK, especially if, like me, you don't have Sky TV! wink (We're only half way through S5 here.)

And whoever said patience is a virtue and waiting builds character obviously never had to wait! goofy

Loriel (who wants to order S4 and go home and watch the others!)

#196301 05/01/03 05:57 AM
Pulitzer
Pulitzer
Loriel, much as I like Amazon, for cheaper DVDs and free delivery within the UK try http://www.dvd.co.uk . http://www.cdwow.com will deliver free internationally, but has a very limited selection; however, when they do have stuff it's considerably cheaper than anywhere else. For Region 1 DVDs try http://www.dvdboxoffice.com - that's based in Canada and also offers free international delivery, and is usually cheaper than Amazon.com.

Pam, have you tried finding a 'hack' for your DVD player on the Internet? They're usually easy to do, and then you can watch DVDs from any region. And, since boxed sets of many TV series seem to appear in Region 2 before Region 1 (because of syndication in the US?) you can get them quicker. wink

Wendy smile1

Just a fly-by! *waves*
#196302 05/01/03 06:26 AM
Pulitzer
Pulitzer
Yeah, I've looked into a hack, but apparently there isn't a way to hack my player in software; it would require opening the thing up, and that scares me smile We could also buy a cheap player that's easily hacked, but Kelley is strangely uneager to pay $60-100 for the priviledge of watching DVDs a few months sooner. Go figure. wink So for now, I'm just going to have to be patient.

PJ

"I have a...."
"Oh, shut up."

--Stardust, Caroline K
#196303 05/01/03 07:04 AM
C
Pulitzer
Pulitzer
C
Anna knows how much I love BttF!!! We've 'watched' 1 and 2 'together' already - haven't gotten to 3 yet....

1.21 JIGAWATTS!?!?!?!!?!?!? *g* Love that part

WOuld have to say that 1 is my fave. Maggie and I watched about 7 hours of BttF yesterday - all three movies with commentaries and some of the special features on each dvd. When 2 ended she looked at the tv and the credits scrolling up and then at me and did her shrug thing and said something approximating 'whereisit?' or 'where'ditgo?' Was very cute *g*!

Anyway... crossover.... hmmm could be done....

CM

#196304 05/01/03 10:27 AM
Merriwether
Merriwether
I'd just have to say that it'd be really strange to have an LC/BTTF crossover, especially with HG Wells. If I remember correctly, didn't Doc say he'd read all of the Well's books in BttF3 when he was talking to Clara, and Clara thought it odd that Doc had been a fan since he was a kid and the books had just recently come out? (The things that stick in my mind...) You'd have Doc gushing all over Herb!

Don't worry, Pam, we're waiting for the rest of the SG seasons, too. We'd preorder them, but it's easier to go to Best Buy the day they come out instead of waiting for them to ship it laugh

"You need me. You wouldn't be much of a hero without a villain. And you do love being the hero, don't you. The cheering children, the swooning women, you love it so much, it's made you my most reliable accomplice." -- Lex Luthor to Superman, Question Authority, Justice League Unlimited
#196305 05/01/03 03:19 PM
Pulitzer
Pulitzer
Good point, Karen, except I think it was Jules Verne that he talked about... still, I imagine he'd have been an HG Wells fan as well...

PJ
"you're not thinking fourth-dimensionally!"
"yeah, I've got a problem with that."

"I have a...."
"Oh, shut up."

--Stardust, Caroline K
#196306 05/01/03 04:43 PM
Merriwether
Merriwether
Loved those movies!

Never owned them, just rented them and watch them on tv every time they're on. When I'm lucky, they have a marathon... laugh

I taped 'em once. Wonder what happened to that tape... confused

As for SG1, started watching last season. Really enjoying them. I love Carter! A really intelligent woman, clever, capable, and attractive too! smile

Do you know the most surprising thing about divorce? It doesn't actually kill you, like a bullet to the heart or a head-on car wreck. It should. When someone you've promised to cherish till death do you part says, "I never loved you," it should kill you instantly.

- Under the Tuscan Sun
#196307 05/01/03 05:27 PM
Columnist
Columnist
Oh yeah - I'm a time travel freak, and I can safely say that it probably began with Back to the Future...

Melisma (under her Rock, going back to the TNG sequel she's writing that is *all* about time travel smile )

Do, or do not. There is no try.
- Yoda
#196308 05/01/03 10:29 PM
Hack from Nowheresville
Hack from Nowheresville
Thanks for the sites Wendy. I had visited CD-Wow before but not the others! There is also Play.com . They've got region 1 and 2 and do free delivery. They've got a bigger selection than Cd-Wow, but they're not quite as quick at delivery.

As for Amazon I've been 'saving' stuff on Amazon and waiting til I get over £39 then ordering. Its amazing how many £39 orders you can actually make! wink Its mostly books, which at 20% off is one of the cheapest places I can get them! My 'library' is huge - when I move out of home, it'll be to a 2 bedroom flat minimum; a room for me and one for my library!

Oh, and I can't wait to see all these time travel/crossover fics! wink

Loriel

#196309 05/02/03 02:37 AM
Beat Reporter
Beat Reporter
That trilogy I have memorized.... I showed it to my son when he was 2 or so, and he watched the whole trilogy several times ... A DAY!!! He called it King of the Future... still does, but he is not that fond of it anymore.. says that they are boring now, he knows what happens... I think the events of the movies have been indelibly etched onto his brain. There are worse things. <g>

Marns
~pobody's nerfect
#196310 05/02/03 05:23 AM
Merriwether
Merriwether
Whoops, was it Jules Verne? I was thinking about that as I posted, but couldn't remember. Since Doc liked to time travel, I thought it might have been Wells, but now I don't know! dizzy

"You need me. You wouldn't be much of a hero without a villain. And you do love being the hero, don't you. The cheering children, the swooning women, you love it so much, it's made you my most reliable accomplice." -- Lex Luthor to Superman, Question Authority, Justice League Unlimited
#196311 05/03/03 09:44 AM
S
Blogger
Blogger
S
BTTF part 1 is one of the three movies that I always say, "this is my very favorite movie in all the world." laugh

I have watched this movie over and over and over again and every time it airs I can't resist watching it one more time.

I just loved the incredible amount of detail, even in really minor things.
Yes, every time I watch it I catch something new. dance

It's usually the little things that draw me back to watch something more than once and this movie is no exception: Marty's reaction to the gas station attendants rushing out to service the car (we don't see that any more!), the comments about Marty's down vest (life preserver? lol!), Marty's difficulty with opening a bottle of soda - ROFL!

And Pam, as many times as I've seen this movie I never noticed the Twin Pines Mall and Lone Pine Mall thing, lol. Now I have to go back and watch the movie again just so I can see that part. Dang! wink

Shadowfax

#196312 05/04/03 09:21 AM
Pulitzer
Pulitzer
Gosh, I'm sorry I've forced you to this torture! goofy

But I can't really take credit for it -- I didn't spot it in the movie myself, just read an article that mentioned it smile

PJ

"I have a...."
"Oh, shut up."

--Stardust, Caroline K
#196313 05/12/03 08:35 PM
Hack from Nowheresville
Hack from Nowheresville
Aughhh I love those movies, they are the best! Have you guys ever noticed the little homages to BTTF in "Tempus Fugitive"? And it's no coincidence that HG Wells' device in "Tempus Anyone" is called a flux capacitor. Of course, TF adheres to a slightly different theory of time travel than BTTF but... ok let's play a game. Can anyone cite the homages (intentional or not) in TF? laugh

Ems

Molly
#196314 05/12/03 08:57 PM
Pulitzer
Pulitzer
yeah, they're fun movies. i like the calvin klien thing and the changing name of the canyon at the end of the 3rd movie and that scene where marty jumps off the tower in the middle of the second and doc brown's refrigerator and jonny be goode and... laugh a lot of fun moments, even if it was the same movie 3 times over. wink

anyone ever watch the tv series?

so, yeah, i'm a fan of BTTF, too, but i'm also posting to welcome LNC rox my sox to the boards. smile great screenname. also, as member #273, may i say you're the absolute coolest? (sorry. chemistry joke. sadly, though, it was my first thought when i saw the number) anyway, welcome and have fun. smile

Paul

When in doubt, think about penguins. It probably won't help, but at least it'll be fun.
#196315 05/13/03 05:38 AM
Hack from Nowheresville
Hack from Nowheresville
Thanks, Paul. smile

ems

Molly
Page 1 of 2 1 2

Moderated by  KSaraSara 

Link Copied to Clipboard