Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
L
Columnist
OP Offline
Columnist
L
I'm a pretty big fan of all of the Christmas themed episodes, and this one is no exception. I actually do like the first two Christmas episodes more than I like this one, but this one is still good.

I liked that they used Mxyzptlk in the episode. I haven't read a lot of the comics, but I have been reading some collections of old stories that I've found in the local comic book shop. From what I can tell, I think the writers did a pretty good job at adapting the character from how he was portrayed in the comics. True, he didn't look the same as he does in the comics, but that didn't really bother me.

I think my favorite moment of this episode comes at the end.

Lois: I really do feel like I can see everything through your eyes.

Clark: Then you're the lucky one... because I'm looking at you.

Very romantic way to end the episode. laugh

J
Pulitzer
Pulitzer
J
I really liked this episode too. It might be the one I have watched the most, because I obsessively printed out the printed script we have of it, and then I marked up every change between that version of the script and the final result.

One of the early changes is they moved Lois from listing people who we never heard of before or since who she got presents for to getting presents for "the Archbishop" and "the mayor", so at least they are people we recognize, even if it was the first mention to the archbishop since the almost wedding.

I really liked Lois snapping out of the situation and remembering that they were in the loop. I also really liked Clark figuring out how to avoid the bank robbery and the guy going to jail at all. It was the only time we really saw behind the criminals and that they were not all bad. Well, maybe when we first met Jack, and maybe a little with Winslow Schott and Miss Duffy, but not often.

The biggest question in my mind was always was it realistic to portray Lois as the negative on Christmas type after he previous Christmas experience? In some ways the Christmas episodes, at least this one and "Season Greedings" seem to have Lois start both with the same attitude.

However, I guess Lois is not so much negative about Christmas as overwhelmed by having to make a huge dinner. She is not anti-Christmas, just letting the preparations overwhelm the message.

Still her crack about the Christmas tree being the cause of the fire seemed overly negative. Her worry about all the people for dinner made sense. Her statement about how they would not get the house ready without "super cheating" seemed odd though. I thought back during the murder arc she had totally become ok with super cheating.

One interesting thing is that Mxyzptlk's plan backfires, and the world becomes a better place because of his meddling. At least for the guy who robbed the bank in the first go-around.

John Pack Lambert
Pulitzer
Pulitzer
Hmm... Fanfics involving Mxy (I don't want to say his full name, because that tends to call him.)

My first thought was one of my favorite fics, ML Thompson's really fun If At First You Don\'t Succeed... , which is kind of a mashup of "I'm Looking Through You" and "Mxymas". What if Mxy had done his time-loop thing in the first season, during the "invisible man" episode? As VirginiaR said in another thread:
I just finished getting sucked into this one! I second the recommendation. It's a mishmash of ILTY and Mxy (i.e. Groundhog's Day), and again shows why MLT is one of the best. She really looks at the whole story from every possible different angle.
Mxy also appears in Bobbart's Mxyover , where an elderly Lois gets an offer to do things over again. And, speaking of deals with supernatural creatures, in Wendy Richard's Devil\'s Bargain , Mxy tests the Man of Steel's ethics vs his love for Lois. Wendy also has Mxy play a cruel trick on L&C in Mxy and Match .

In the fanfic Season Six , Crystal Wimmer, in Hypergirl , wrote about what might have happened if Mxy had turned Lois and Clark's new baby into a teenager.

Shayne Terry pays homage, too in his hilarious "Buffy The Vampire Slayer" crossover fic, Retail . It tells us what happened to Anya after she was killed when the Hellmouth in Sunnydale collapsed:
All in all, it was better than she could have expected. After a thousand years of bloodshed and slaughter in her career as a vengeance demon, she hadn’t expected a few years of humanity to tip the balance of things, even if she had helped save the world. She’d expected to suffer in the blood pits of Arishnamar or worse for all eternity.

By comparison, retail wasn’t so bad.

She attempted to smile at the hulking man in the bright costume. The corner of her mouth twitched as she fought not to offer fashion advice.

The red cape was fetching, but wearing underwear on the outside had gone out with Madonna in the eighties. Still, there was something about him, with his all American good looks and his boyish charm...

“Could I interest you in collapsible boots and capes? They use genuine fifth dimensional technology to phase in and out of the universe on command. We can make them up in any fashion you’d like.”

He stopped for a moment and frowned. “This stuff is safe, isn’t it?”

She kept her smile carefully fixed on her face as she said “Absolutely safe.”

By the time he found out that the capes and boots were cursed, the store would be long gone, in another dimension.

Besides, what were the odds that he couldn’t handle the occasional imp infestation? It wasn’t as though Mr. Mxyzptlk was vicious or anything. He was just annoying. She’d be glad to be rid of his once a month visits to the shop.

L
Columnist
OP Offline
Columnist
L
Originally posted by John Lambert:
The biggest question in my mind was always was it realistic to portray Lois as the negative on Christmas type after he previous Christmas experience? In some ways the Christmas episodes, at least this one and "Season Greedings" seem to have Lois start both with the same attitude.
I've often thought the same thing, though I've decided that Lois' pessimism towards Christmas might have been so great that just one great Christmas in "Seasons Greedings" wasn't enough to change her mind.

J
Pulitzer
Pulitzer
J
Originally posted by Lois_Lane_Fan:
Originally posted by John Lambert:
[b] The biggest question in my mind was always was it realistic to portray Lois as the negative on Christmas type after he previous Christmas experience? In some ways the Christmas episodes, at least this one and "Season Greedings" seem to have Lois start both with the same attitude.
I've often thought the same thing, though I've decided that Lois' pessimism towards Christmas might have been so great that just one great Christmas in "Seasons Greedings" wasn't enough to change her mind. [/b]
That might be a factor too, but I really think her reaction is mostly different, other than her rip on the Christmas Tree. It more seems she has gotten so into the preparation for Christmas that she has missed actually enjoying it, which is different than her being down on the holiday altogether in "Season Greedings".

John Pack Lambert

Moderated by  bakasi, Toomi8 

Link Copied to Clipboard