Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
L
Columnist
OP Offline
Columnist
L
I thought it was a nice touch that TV’s original Jimmy Olsen, Jack Larson, was cast to play Jimmy in this episode. I love it that actors who have been associated with previous incarnations of Superman show up from time to time in newer adaptations of the character.

I also like that they addressed Superman’s aging process in this episode. I’m glad that it’s implied that Clark’s lifespan will be closer to Lois’ lifespan after what happened. The reason for this is that I’ve always thought that the idea of Superman outliving all of his friends is a depressing thought. I really don’t like to think about a character that is generally known for being somewhat brighter than other superheroes eventually suffering and being all alone once everybody he was close to dies.

Also, if Clark were to live for a great length of time without aging, he’d also eventually have to drop his Clark persona and either create a new identity somewhere else or become Superman full time. After all, if Clark never aged, people would start to get really suspicious. Since I’m more of a fan of Clark Kent than of Superman, I really wouldn’t like the idea of him eventually having to give up being Clark.

Nobel Peace Prize Winner
Nobel Peace Prize Winner
You forgot *FINALLY THEY HAVE A HONEYMOON!* laugh

It was in this episode that the use of old sitcom stars as guest stars on the show started to grate on me. I know they need work too, but come on! Wasn't there another pool to draw from? I wasn't seeing the character they were supposed to be portraying and instead distracted by the familiar face. If you want to keep it a surprise who the bad guy is, don't hire a known actor to play the villain.

Although, I agree with LLF, that I like it when old Superman stars visit the shows in cameo roles. (That's different because it's more of an homage or celebration of their work in the Superman canon.)

VirginiaR.
"On the long road, take small steps." -- Jor-el, "The Foundling"
---
"clearly there is a lack of understanding between those two... he speaks Lunkheadanian and she Stubbornanian" -- chelo.
L
Columnist
OP Offline
Columnist
L
Originally posted by VirginiaR:
You forgot *FINALLY THEY HAVE A HONEYMOON!* laugh
Oh yeah. The opening scenes of Lois and Clark are definitely among the hottest of the whole show. wink

J
Pulitzer
Pulitzer
J
smile1 for the honeymoon.

However, they also bring up a really big issue. When Clark runs off to deal with the break-out at the jail, Lois mentions this is the first time he has gone to do a Super-thing since they got married.

I can buy that. However they never even address how they dealt with Superman being gone for those two weeks. How did they explain no Superman appearances?

On another point, they really should have said Conner Shenk was in prison for 60 years. 50 years only goes back to 1947, and yet he says he was put away during the Depression, which would work better with the mid-1930s.

It was so Dr. Klein to bring up Superman's againg to Lois without ever having explained his theories on it to Clark. I was really glad Clark did not know anything about the aging issue.

John Pack Lambert
Pulitzer
Pulitzer
I thought it was a nice touch that TV’s original Jimmy Olsen, Jack Larson, was cast to play Jimmy in this episode. I love it that actors who have been associated with previous incarnations of Superman show up from time to time in newer adaptations of the character.
As I recall, in the "Superman Returns" movie,Jack Larson also played the bartender in the bar where Jimmy Olsen (Sam Huntingdon) and Clark Kent (Brandon Routh) go to have a drink.

Regarding episode-related fanfics: Catherine Bruce has a poignant vignette in What He Gave Up . What did Clark lose by giving some of his life force to Jimmy?

I don't see any other fics in the Database with a tag of "Episode-Related: Brutal Youth".

In Mrs Mosley's Camera Obscura , Jimmy Olsen is on a trip in the swamp along with Lois, Clark, and Henderson, and the part where Jimmy is almost killed by Veda Doodson comes to mind. It's not specifically related to the episode, but does refer to it. A good short fic, well written.

Nobel Peace Prize Winner
Nobel Peace Prize Winner
Hmmmm. [Linked Image] It does come up in one of KenJ's stories, but I'm afraid if I mention it I might be giving away too many spoilers. Ken, if you don't mind me advertising your story here, let me know... and I'll post the link, otherwise... people, you'll have to read all of Ken's stories to see if you can figure out which one it is. wink

VirginiaR.
"On the long road, take small steps." -- Jor-el, "The Foundling"
---
"clearly there is a lack of understanding between those two... he speaks Lunkheadanian and she Stubbornanian" -- chelo.
Boards Chief Administrator Emeritus
Nobel Peace Prize Winner
Nobel Peace Prize Winner
I seem to recall I wrote an nfic romp which was set at the end of this episode and which dealt in part with the aging issue. Among...other things. wink

It can be found at Annesplace .

LabRat :-)

Athos: If you'd told us what you were doing, we might have been able to plan this properly.
Aramis: Yes, sorry.
Athos: No, no, by all means, let's keep things suicidal.

The Musketeers
Pulitzer
Pulitzer
What fic was that, LabRat? The link just takes me to the sign-in screen of Annesplace.net.

Nobel Peace Prize Winner
Nobel Peace Prize Winner
Um...now you're asking. goofy I haven't seen these things for years. I think it was titled Hearts and Showers . IIRC, it took up right at the end of the episode.

The Nfic Archive at Annesplace is password protected, so anyone interested in reading it would have to request access. It's probably also still at Zoomway's mb. Again, you'd have to request access.

LabRat :-)

Athos: If you'd told us what you were doing, we might have been able to plan this properly.
Aramis: Yes, sorry.
Athos: No, no, by all means, let's keep things suicidal.

The Musketeers

Moderated by  bakasi, Toomi8 

Link Copied to Clipboard