Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
L
Columnist
OP Offline
Columnist
L
The thing that really sticks out to me about this episode is that it does a really good job of showing that Clark would be a good father. We already could have guessed that before, but I just think that Dean Cain does a very good job during Superman’s scenes with Jesse. That’s definitely one highlight of the episode for me.

I liked when we found out that Lois was a bad cook not because of a lack of time but because of a lack of skill. I always enjoy that scene.

We also get a chance to delve into Lois’ insecurities about having children. We’ve known since “Smart Kids” that Lois isn’t comfortable around children, and I’m sure Jesse’s instant dislike of her didn’t do anything to calm her nerves.

Pulitzer
Pulitzer
Chip Off The Old Clark was not one of my favorite episodes, but it did explain why Lois was so clumsy in the kitchen.

All Lois needed was time to develop the rudimentary art of cooking. It always bothered me to see her eating such unhealthy food. Bobby Bigmouth was right, she needed to learn how to cook just to survive.

Morgana

A writer's job is to think of new plots and create characters who stay with you long after the final page has been read. If that mission is accomplished than we have done what we set out to do, which is to entertain and hopefully educate.
Pulitzer
Pulitzer
I could only find one fanfic related to this episode (tagged with the "Episode-Related-COTOC" tag) in the Archive Database.

Stopquitdont had a interesting take on this episode with the similarly-named Chip Off The Old Clark . Thought-provoking and worth reading.

There is another fanfic where Clark has a son prior to him meeting Lois - it's Sunrei's Above Alt Else . Martha and Jonathan have been taking care of the boy for most of his life, but they've recently turned over the responsibility to Clark, who is having a hard time with it.

Other than that, there really are very few COTOC-related fanfics that I can remember. Perhaps because the kid and his mother are so darn annoying?

There are some fun lines in this episode:
Perry: "Lois, you and I have been newsmen long enough to know if it looks like a duck, and quacks like a duck, and tastes good with plum sauce... It's a duck!"

And this exchange between Lois and Clark:
LOIS: The truth is what you tell me. And what I tell you. Because that's the kind of relationship we have to have.

CLARK: Lois, the best day of my life was the day you found out I was Superman. It meant no more secrets. I'm done with hiding things from you.

A wonderful moment.

J
Pulitzer
Pulitzer
J
I have to say I thought Lois' explanation of her cooking abilities was classic.

On the other hand, it never made sense that Lois even thought the claim's about Jesse's parentage were real. Doesn't she know that a-Clark only came up with the disguise after meeting her and b-more imporantly, she named him. There is no way that soneone was calling him "Superman" long enough ago for it to be before Jesse was born.

Also, they just delat with one way Clark's power is transfered, and they had Resplendant Man before that, so they know his power is transferable.

It should have been a smal-dunk case to prove this child was not his, that the claims he was called Superman long ago to be before the child was born was bunk.

Then there was the bizarre, Superman tunnelling through the earth to go stop the nucelar weapon faster. That made no sense at all. How can that be faster when he has to expend so much more energy to tunnel through the earth?

John Pack Lambert
S
SJH Offline
Features Writer
Features Writer
S
Loved the full body shots of Dean in the Suit wink

"I'm red-eyed, tired and drunk" Teri Hatcher
"Fun will now commence" 7of9
S
Suggs_With_A_Box
Unregistered
Suggs_With_A_Box
Unregistered
S
Originally Posted by John Lambert
I have to say I thought Lois' explanation of her cooking abilities was classic.

On the other hand, it never made sense that Lois even thought the claim's about Jesse's parentage were real. Doesn't she know that a-Clark only came up with the disguise after meeting her and b-more importantly, she named him. There is no way that someone was calling him "Superman" long enough ago for it to be before Jesse was born.

Also, they just dealt with one way Clark's power is transferred, and they had Resplendent Man before that, so they know his power is transferable.

It should have been a slam-dunk case to prove this child was not his, that the claims he was called Superman long ago to be before the child was born was bunk.

Then there was the bizarre, Superman tunneling through the earth to go stop the nuclear weapon faster. That made no sense at all. How can that be faster when he has to expend so much more energy to tunnel through the earth?

Agreed on most of it, but the tunneling thing is because it is less distance to go through, rather than round. Besides, TV is filled with annoying stuff like this. Why did Dean killing Death not make everyone immortal? Where did The Doctor get that cup of tea on Skaro? Why do people watch the Kardashians? We may never know the answers, but it's fun to guess, though ultimately we unfortunately have to Just Accept It.

Moderated by  bakasi, Toomi8 

Link Copied to Clipboard