Lois & Clark Fanfic Message Boards
Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Page 2 of 2 1 2
Hack from Nowheresville
Hack from Nowheresville
I like Scardino too! Well, sort of... In the WWW episode he's the one to give Superman the name of the only irreproachable lawyer on the market: I guess this testifies that he has a value system of his own smile

Go I Know Not Whither and Fetch I Know Not What
L
Pulitzer
Pulitzer
L
Hello, Quelly. Welcome to the boards and thanks for starting this discussion. smile

Apparently, he has trouble with telling strong women (cough... Lana) "no"... perhaps it's any woman.
I had always had the impression that he has a hard time saying, "No," regardless of the circumstances. If Ralph had wanted to pal around with him by going to a football game, for example, I think Clark would have even had a hard time declining that offer. IMHO, it has nothing to do with the other person's gender; it has everything to do with not wanting to hurt another person's feelings.

And I agree with you about characters needing weaknesses. Not only are such characters more believable, they are also easier to relate to, and therefore (all else being equal) much more likable.

HiddenMoon, I, too, like Scardino and Mayson as characters. Scardino may be a bit brash, but his heart is generally in the right place. And while I don't want Mayson to be with Clark, I would have liked to have seen her find happiness with someone else (maybe Scardino? Two birds with one stone).

Joy,
Lynn

Joy,
Lynn

LMA Offline
Top Banana
Top Banana
Welcome Quelly wave...

Lynn posted:

I had always had the impression that he has a hard time saying, "No," regardless of the circumstances. If Ralph had wanted to pal around with him by going to a football game, for example, I think Clark would have even had a hard time declining that offer. IMHO, it has nothing to do with the other person's gender; it has everything to do with not wanting to hurt another person's feelings.

Clark is a really nice guy--a guy who has never had a lot of friends. No one he could be himself around, or really relate to (until Lois). Feeling different sometimes makes you feel like you are on the outside--watching everything 'else' (people relating to other people) play out in front of you. To be included--to be needed/to be wanted--to have others asking to spend time with you, is special...especially when it hasn't happened much in your life.

IMO, with Clark and Mason, Clark was just being his 'nice by default' self. I don't think he meant to lead her on with intent. He just appreciates people, their friendships, and does not--in any way--want to hurt them. He's felt pain socially, and he does not want to inflict it onto others.

And--totally IMO again wink --I think Mason was a bit too pushy regarding Clark.

The combination of their personalities led to a lot of unnecessary back and forth... help

Laura

(And sticking to the same train of thought, when Clark did meet Lois, when he was able to immediately understand her--how she was hiding herself, creating walls of protection--and actually see himself in her, THAT, I've always thought, is what sealed the deal for Clark that Lois was 'The One' for him. He finally--after his whole life feeling different--felt like he could belong).

And to sidebar a sidebar (hey, why not? huh ), that is totally so much why this show clicked with me. When you grow up shy, wonder day to day about fitting in, seeing these awesome characters figure that whole process out is pretty reassuring clap .

Last edited by LMA; 10/15/15 03:10 AM.

"Where's Clark?" "Right here."

...two simple sentences--with so much meaning.

~Lois and Clark in 'House of Luthor'~
L
Pulitzer
Pulitzer
L
Laura, I agree with every single word you wrote. At first glance, the only thing Clark and Lois have in common is that they are both journalists for the Daily Planet, but did a little deeper and you see two peas in a pod.

And you described perfectly one of the main draws of the show for me, as well. The only difference is that instead of wondering day to day about fitting in, I just plain concluded as a child that I never would fit in. (There's a reason why Mr. Spock was one of my all-time favourite characters.)

Joy,
Lynn

Hack from Nowheresville
Hack from Nowheresville
It's always interesting to see how everyone interprets the same fictional situations differently depending on their experiences... smile

Originally Posted by Lynn S. M.
HiddenMoon, I, too, like Scardino and Mayson as characters. Scardino may be a bit brash, but his heart is generally in the right place. And while I don't want Mayson to be with Clark, I would have liked to have seen her find happiness with someone else (maybe Scardino? Two birds with one stone).

You know, I was thinking about that just a few days ago... Mayson and Scardino together! If I were a writer, I think it would make a fun story to tell: they're two characters with very different personalities and a lot of potential wink

P.S.: Celebrating my 100th post! Feels good to be a hack from Nowheresville... laugh

Go I Know Not Whither and Fetch I Know Not What
Nobel Peace Prize Winner
Nobel Peace Prize Winner
Originally Posted by LMA
Clark is a really nice guy--a guy who has never had a lot of friends. No one he could be himself around, or really relate to (until Lois). Feeling different sometimes makes you feel like you are on the outside--watching everything 'else' (people relating to other people) play out in front of you. To be included--to be needed/to be wanted--to have others asking to spend time with you, is special...especially when it hasn't happened much in your life.

IMO, with Clark and Mason, Clark was just being his 'nice by default' self. I don't think he meant to lead her on with intent. He just appreciates people, their friendships, and does not--in any way--want to hurt them. He's felt pain socially, and he does not want to inflict it onto others.
I agree with Lynn. clap Well argued, Laura!

While Clark admits to Lois in OB that he still communicates with his friends from college, you actually never see him with any of his other so-called friends (or see him talking to them). I'm betting that they are more like acquaintances (like Rachel), whom he's friendly with, but not really close to.

VirginiaR.
"On the long road, take small steps." -- Jor-el, "The Foundling"
---
"clearly there is a lack of understanding between those two... he speaks Lunkheadanian and she Stubbornanian" -- chelo.
LMA Offline
Top Banana
Top Banana
Virginia posted:

While Clark admits to Lois in OB that he still communicates with his friends from college, you actually never see him with any of his other so-called friends (or see him talking to them). I'm betting that they are more like acquaintances (like Rachel), whom he's friendly with, but not really close to.

Completely agree with you, Virginia thumbsup.

Lines like that from Clark--and I believe there is another example somewhere where Clark says sorta the same type of thing (totally blank as to when though), have always kind of thrown me. There's really not a lot of 'proof' that these friends are still in his life (and what has always amused me is that Lois--who admits to not having a 'best friend'/etc before Clark--seems to have them come out in spades...Linda, Molly, the 'tiny-sized' group who get shrunk in IASWAA).

What I've come to conclude, IMO, is pretty much where you went, too. I don't think Clark has ever, really, been completely close--as in best friend type of close--with anyone prior to Lois.

I think he became emotionally connected to Rachel, to Lana, a bit (drew overall closer to them as compared to males) because relationships, in nature, sometimes lead to more of an emotional investment. But then Lana ended bad, therefore, they fell apart from each other--lost contact. Rachel and Clark walked away from whatever they were relationship-wise still in a good place. They remained, as you said, acquaintances. Rachel, maybe, being his closest acquaintance from his past? (but I've always gotten from GGGOH that they weren't horribly up to date on each other).

Guy-wise, I never really believed Clark had long-lasting, quality friendships prior to starting at the Planet. We never heard about them, no proof of them. And IMO, that probably had a ton to do with what all was happening to him growing up...the powers, the strength, the flying. How confusing that timeframe--his teenage years--must have been for him. How startling. How lonely. 'The Fortress of Solitude' says a lot, you know?

Whatever friendships Clark had when he was really young, a kid, playing at friend's houses, etc., I'd assume faded away through his teenage years. I can see Clark distancing himself from them, from everyone, as he tried to figure himself out. Make sense out of what was happening to him.

We know he went to college--we don't know really what that time truely was like for him. I'd guess better (because by then he is a bit older, a bit more adjusted to all the changes to himself), but probably, still pretty lonely.

We do know that as soon as the 'pre-planned' parts of life (high school/college) were over, Clark ran. Moved place to place. Tried to figure out how to be himself. Tried to figure out where he fit in. And we know that those years were still quite lonely (by him telling Lois that he never fit in prior to meeting her).

I think Clark's version of 'friendship' was very much like our version of 'acquaintance' pre-Lois. He hadn't ever really had anything closer (than an acquaintance), to know what a true friend was.

Lynn posted:

And you described perfectly one of the main draws of the show for me, as well. The only difference is that instead of wondering day to day about fitting in, I just plain concluded as a child that I never would fit in. (There's a reason why Mr. Spock was one of my all-time favourite characters.)

Going off of what you said, Lynn, and also, off of why I related to these characters--doubting myself, not letting myself be truely 'me' around others (still currently wrestle with this, btw--I think I need to conclude what you did as a child, Lynn smile ), I think meeting Lois would have been completely life-affirming for Clark. Personally, when I have really connected with someone (the small amount of times when this has truely and deeply happened) it was HUGE. Amazing. Validating. Clark--having never had this....can you imagine how great it would feel? How exciting? Top it off with being very physically attracted to the person. Top it off again with professionaly admiring and respecting this person.

Lightning bolts! hyper Stars! hyper Fireworks! hyper I don't think Clark truely even noticed another woman after the day he layed eyes on Lois love.

When you feel all alone, when you've felt that way for so much of your life, suddenly not feeling alone is quite the big deal.

What dreams are made of, actually grin.
Laura

(Wow--just went back and reread this post...quite the 'kick' I was on. Eek blush ).

Last edited by LMA; 10/21/15 08:43 PM.
Nobel Peace Prize Winner
Nobel Peace Prize Winner
clap Laura, I do believe you've got Clark's character down. wink Perhaps it's your turn to put pen to paper (or fingers to keyboard) and write! (Please adjourn to the Challenge thread for details. evil )

VirginiaR.
"On the long road, take small steps." -- Jor-el, "The Foundling"
---
"clearly there is a lack of understanding between those two... he speaks Lunkheadanian and she Stubbornanian" -- chelo.
Page 2 of 2 1 2

Moderated by  bakasi, Toomi8 

Link Copied to Clipboard