Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
L
Columnist
OP Offline
Columnist
L
This one was actually a remake of an episode of the classic George Reeves “Adventures of Superman” show. Now that I’ve actually watched that show, I have to say that I think this episode did a good job at adding something new and different to what was done in that episode.

It was interesting to see how everyone dealt with the possible end of the world. Jimmy and Perry had some good scenes together, and I enjoyed seeing Jimmy get a chance to further his career as a result of this episode. Cat’s scenes gave us a chance to see a different side to her. She was usually used for comic relief, so it was nice to see a more dramatic side to her. As for Lex, having a secret bunker seemed in character for him.

Lois not wanting to join Lex in his bunker, though, had originally struck me as odd the first time I watched this episode. It took me some time to come to terms with the fact that Lois would risk the unknown just for the chance to see what happened to the Earth once the asteroid hit. In the end, though, it is completely in character for her.

Clark having amnesia made for some funny scenes. I especially liked seeing Martha and Jonathan have to convince him he was really Superman.

Nobel Peace Prize Winner
Nobel Peace Prize Winner
Originally posted by Lois_Lane_Fan:
Lois not wanting to join Lex in his bunker, though, had originally struck me as odd the first time I watched it. It took me some time to come to terms with the fact that Lois would risk death for the chance to see what happens to the Earth. In the end, though, it is completely in character for her to be curious enough to risk death.
Odd? eek You really thought that was a TEMPTING offer? The man replicates her apartment (creepy factor x 10). Would she really want to spend eternity with a man who couldn't think beyond himself and what he wanted? Is this the only companion she'd want for at least 3-5 years? Is this the sort of man who would be self-sufficient in a society where money means nothing and what you CAN do means everything? Nah, I'm not surprised she'd rather be with Clark. At least, looking to the future, the man knew how to do things with his hands, knows how to help others, knows how to cook and garden and live off the land. Lex wouldn't be able to do any of those things. Did Lex even know how to solve problems without throwing money at it? I'd risk my life in the post-nuclear outside world too.

Henderson's terrific here teasing Lois about Clark.

I love the scene with Clark & Jimmy at the psychic. She senses Superman really close, but neither of them know it's Clark, instead they just think she's bonkers. clap clap

VirginiaR.
"On the long road, take small steps." -- Jor-el, "The Foundling"
---
"clearly there is a lack of understanding between those two... he speaks Lunkheadanian and she Stubbornanian" -- chelo.
L
Columnist
OP Offline
Columnist
L
Originally posted by VirginiaR:
[QB] Odd? eek You really thought that was a TEMPTING offer? The man replicates her apartment (creepy factor x 10). Would she really want to spend eternity with a man who couldn't think beyond himself and what he wanted?
That's a different way of looking at it. I guess I was mostly focused on the fact that she turned down a chance for guaranteed safety.

This episode always made me feel sad for Cat. Prior to this she's so bouncy and fun and carefree, and here she realizes that she's really alone in the world. The producers /writers missed a great opportunity to make her character more well-rounded after this experience. Instead they just made her more of a caricature. It made her conversation in Witness (even those that episode was supposed to have taken place earlier) with Lois, where they argue about Lois' lack of flaws, more genuine.
Agreed. I really would have enjoyed seeing more of a well-rounded Cat Grant. There was some good groundwork to do more with her character. Too bad she didn't make it to season 2. I enjoyed that conversation between Cat and Lois in "Witness," too. I plan on saying more about it when I do an episode discussion thread for that episode.

Plus, you have Lois confessing her love for Clark (not Superman) which is nice. love
I forgot to mention that scene in my first post. I really liked that moment a lot.

Boards Chief Administrator Emeritus
Nobel Peace Prize Winner
Boards Chief Administrator Emeritus
Nobel Peace Prize Winner
My own Are You Lonesome Tonight? reworks this one:

The threat of Nightfall looms over the world in this adaptation of the episode "All Shook Up." As time runs out, two people, alone and afraid, take solace in one another, try to find some shred of meaning in their lives ... and find that hope and love are shining constants in even the seemingly most disasterous of times.
It was always one of my favourites - I've always been a sucker for plots about memory loss or evil twins, so this one had my ears pricking up soon as I heard what it was about. laugh It didn't disappoint.

LabRat smile

Athos: If you'd told us what you were doing, we might have been able to plan this properly.
Aramis: Yes, sorry.
Athos: No, no, by all means, let's keep things suicidal.

The Musketeers
Pulitzer
Pulitzer
My favorite "ASU"-related episodes have already been referenced, but here are a few more for your delectation:

"Nightfall" by Dandello tells us how Henderson figures out Clark's secret - and how he keeps it a secret.

Meredith Knight has two: "All Stirred Up" - long and involved; and "All Sewn Up" , a 30-minute episode extension challenge. Both are well worth reading.

Georgia Walden's "Alt Shook Up" gives us an alt-world take on the Nightfall asteroid.

One of my favorite authors, ML Thompson, covered the events in her "Curiosity: The Continuing Saga" . Just to keep you busy, this is actually a sequel to the fic, "Curiosity Killed The Reporter" . The "Continuing Saga" fic is (in my opinion) best appreciated in the nfic version , but the site at Annesplace.net does require registration and a password.

Irene Dutch does her usual good job in "Shaken, Not Stirred" , and Molly does another good job with "Fallout" .

And of course, don't miss Wendy Richard's "It Happened One (Super) Night" , where Clark doesn't crash in Suicide Slum but instead makes it to Lois's apartment. Many things are different!

Continuing the "where Clark landed" theme, Tank Wilson asks the fun question: What if Superman landed in Minnesota instead of Suicide Slum? Well, things might happen like Tank described in "Day Follows Nightfall" . SPOILER: Lex gets asteroided pretty early on in the fic. Yay!

And LaraMoon asks, what about the Batcave? Yeah, what if Clark landed in the Batcave after Nightfall? He has amnesia, but here he is in this strange place... [K]nightfall . A fun read, with kudos to another DC hero.

And, last but certainly not least, is Female Hawk's opus and Kerth Winner, "Trusting Me, Trusting You" . The whole Nightfall stuff is only a small part at the end of this incredibly awesome (and very long!) fic. Bring several handkerchiefs - you'll need them.

J
Pulitzer
Pulitzer
J
I actually think the fact that Lois was not more creeped out by the fact that Luthor created a replica of her apartment was disturbing. Has Luthor ever even been in her apartment? I think that was inherently creepy.

John Pack Lambert
Nobel Peace Prize Winner
Nobel Peace Prize Winner
Originally posted by John Lambert:
I actually think the fact that Lois was not more creeped out by the fact that Luthor created a replica of her apartment was disturbing. Has Luthor ever even been in her apartment? I think that was inherently creepy.
He visits her apartment at least twice before. In the Pilot, he walks her to her door after their Interview Date. And in "I've Got a Crush on You" he stops by after seeing her sing at the Metro Club. But neither visit, IMO, was long enough in duration for him to create an exact replica of it in his ARK.

VirginiaR.
---
"clearly there is a lack of understanding between those two... he speaks Lunkheadanian and she Stubbornanian" -- chelo.
J
Pulitzer
Pulitzer
J
Even if his visits had been long enough to create an exact replica, wouldn't it still seem creepy and presumptous that he had?

On another note, this seems to be second only to TOGOM as a favorie to write fan fic about. I guess the whole Clark loosing his memory and having to keep his secret, or not keep his secret, just opens all sorts of possibilities.

On the other hand, how it is that Clark can be injured enough to loose his memory, and why the phyicians can examine him and not notice he is not human (or at least not a normal human) opens all sorts of potential issues.

John Pack Lambert
Pulitzer
Pulitzer
This fic is really more about "The Green Green Glow of Home", but Dandello did point out that if Trask killed Clark in Smallville, there would have been nobody to divert the Nightfall Asteroid a month or so later.

Don't miss Paradoxes .

Nobel Peace Prize Winner
Nobel Peace Prize Winner
In this episode, we see Lois talking on a payphone which is owned by LexComm (Lex Communications), when she calls Clark after visiting his ark. I’ve always wondered, because Lex owns a telephone company, would that mean accessing / tapping other people’s phones lines would be easier for him?

VirginiaR.
---
J
Pulitzer
Pulitzer
J
In theory tapping of the phone lines should not be easy for the owners of the company, but in practice I think you are right and it is fairly easy.

You almost have to wonder if this Metropolis has any anti-trust laws at all with all the things Lex owns.

John Pack Lambert

Moderated by  bakasi, Toomi8 

Link Copied to Clipboard