NOTHING BUT A LUTHOR ON THE WAY, Tank Ending

As he looked at the Kryptonian hero in the glowing cage, Lex couldn't help but smile. Soon, his laughter was soaring all across the room. Fortunately, the room was soundproof.

He stood by beside the cage and stared at Clark. “I tried to do this your way, Superman; really. I wanted to defeat you by licit means. But at a point I just thought, "What the hell! I've never done anything legal!

Pain escaping through his gritted teeth, Clark shot back, "You know... it won't work... Luthor.”

“If the pain wasn't so evidently showing in your usually arrogant face, I might even consider your words.”

Struggling, Clark said, “She doesn't love you.”

Luthor shrugged. “Then I'll just have to turn her into my sex slave.”

Clark made an attempt at getting up, but as his palms closed around the green bars, a shot of pain sent him back to the floor.

“As much as I'm enjoying this, Mr. Kent, my bride awaits me.” And with that, he turned and left the hero lying helplessly inside his cage.

Hours later, with his tie loose and the top buttons of his shirt undone, Luthor returned to the basement, holding a glass of whisky in his hand.

He observed the unconscious superhero for a couple of minutes and then kneeled on the floor, about four feet from the cage. Removing a loose tile, he pulled out a small square box. As he opened it, his eyes grew wide with horror. Where was it? Suddenly, a familiar voice echoed in the room.

“You don't happen to be looking for this, now, do you?” said Lois, as she held the shinning gun, pointing it directly at Lex.

Lex tried to form a coherent thought through his confusion. “Lois, what...? How...?”

“You didn't think I actually bought your "Greatest City benefactor' act, did you? With dealings as dirty as yours, I didn't even need to make use of all my investigative skills.”

Shaking his head, a little amazed, he stared at her. “I have to give you some credit. You're really not as gullible as I thought. Who would have thought you'd go as far as getting married to get a story...”

Matter of factly, she answered, “Well, if there's anything I really want in this life is the Pulitzer...” And with a mischievous grin, she added, “Besides, who said anything about getting married?”

Luthor brought up his left hand to show her the sparkling wedding band. With mock offense, he spoke, “You hurt me... I can't believe you forgot all about it in a matter of hours. If you look carefully, you'll find a ring matching mine in your left...” But as he pointed the finger where the ring should have been, she held out an empty hand, beaming with pride.

“Oh, that... I knew you wouldn't be able to tell the difference. I'm glad you liked *her *.”

“Her?”

“Your wife, of course. Clois.” After briefly pausing to enjoy her former fiancé's reaction, Lois finished, “Now, if you'll excuse me, I have a story to write. Oh, and don't worry about anything; Clois will take care of you.”

And before he could take in what she'd just revealed, his face a mix of arrogance and confusion, she shot him, right between the eyes.

As his lifeless body slumped to the cold floor, a soft moan came from the cage. Soon, Lois could hear Clark's voice calling her. “Lo... Lois... that you? You... ok?”

“Who else? And yes, I'm fine, but I'll feel even better in a sec.”

Fighting to let the words out of his mouth, Clark spoke again, “Thanks... for... coming.”

“Now, I wouldn't be so sure of that.”

With an effort that exceeded by far any he'd ever had to do in his rescues as Superman, Clark managed to open his eyes, even if slightly, just in time to find Lois aiming the gun at him.

“You're scum, just like him; just like the others... I have no reason to spare your life.”

And before he could react, he met the same fate the older man had.

A smile of satisfaction on her face, Lois turned to leave. Who needed them anyway? And, besides, she had Clois... No one could ever understand her better than she did...

THE END???????? evil

Cris