Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
L
Pulitzer
OP Offline
Pulitzer
L
The subject line is, of course, a quote from "We Have a Lot to Talk About". What I hadn't realized until just now is that it is actually an allusion to a quote (or a paraphrase of a quote) by W.C. Fields.

As quoted from
http://en.wikiquote.org/wiki/W._C._Fields
Here lies W. C. Fields. I would rather be living in Philadelphia.
This was an epitaph Fields proposed for himself in a 1925 article in Vanity Fair. It refers to his long standing jokes about Philadelphia (his actual birthplace), and the grave being one place he might actually not prefer to be. This is often repeated as "On the whole, I'd rather be in Philadelphia.", or "All things considered, I'd rather be in Philadelphia." which he might have stated at other times. It has also sometimes been distorted into a final dig at Philadelphia: "Better here than in Philadelphia." His actual tomb at Forest Lawn in Glendale, California simply reads "W. C. Fields 1880 - 1946".
Joy,
Lynn

T
TOC Offline
Nobel Peace Prize Winner
Nobel Peace Prize Winner
T
Interesting, Lynn! I love feeling brainy and in-the-know. Can you believe that I only learnt about some Shakespeare quotes after watching Star Trek? Like "The Conscience of the King", "Dagger of the Mind" and "By Any Other Name". Ah, Hamlet, MacBeth and Romeo and Juliet, eh?

As for grave jokes, I think my favorite is this proposal for a gravestone: This is just my lot.

Thanks for broadening our perspective, Lynn!

Ann

Moderated by  bakasi, Toomi8 

Link Copied to Clipboard