Lois & Clark Fanfic Message Boards
Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Page 2 of 2 1 2
#193776 03/13/10 11:14 AM
Beat Reporter
Beat Reporter
There is an online Atlas of the DC world based on the Atlas from the DC Heros role-playing game. Doesn't add a new state of New Troy instead puts Metropolis in DE.
[Linked Image]

NorthEast

#193777 03/13/10 11:27 AM
L
Pulitzer
OP Offline
Pulitzer
L
Originally posted by dcarson:
There is an online Atlas of the DC world based on the Atlas from the DC Heros role-playing game. Doesn't add a new state of New Troy instead puts Metropolis in DE.
It is right about where Lewes, DE is in RL. Unfortunately, Lewes is in Sussex County, not in the more appropriately named Kent County.

cheers,
Lynn

#193778 03/14/10 06:19 PM
Beat Reporter
Beat Reporter
And Gotham is somewhere around Ocean City-Atlantic City NJ. Which does make them close enough to get between fairly quickly at fast driving times.

#193779 03/24/10 03:44 PM
L
Pulitzer
OP Offline
Pulitzer
L
Originally posted by Lynn S. M.:
In Barbarians at the Planet, Lois gives her phone number, starting with area code 217. That is a valid area code for Springfield, Illinois.
I was re-watching "Stop the Presses" and I saw that Bernie's phone number at Star Labs has a 201 area code. In RL, that area code covers Jersey City and Hackensack in northern New Jersey, pretty close to NYC. That would add further support to Metropolis being on the east coast.

I guess Lois has a looooong commute to work. ;-)

cheers,
Lynn

#193780 03/03/13 02:56 PM
L
Pulitzer
OP Offline
Pulitzer
L
I found an intriguing hint about the locations of Metropolis and Gotham in Superman 354 (published in 1980). The first panel of the second page reads as follows:
Look--down from the sky--gaze in wonder at the vast 21st century city of Megalopolis! Stretching for hundreds of miles along the eastern seaboard, it encompasses the former cities of Boston, New York, Philadelphia, Metropolis, Gotham, and Baltimore!
The real life cities are all mentioned in northeast-to-southwest order. If the two fictional cities were to follow that pattern, it would put Metropolis right about where I live! Philly is northeast of me; Baltimore is to my southwest. One can almost draw a straight line to connect the three locations.

I realize that this passage is only suggestive at best, but I must admit to being amused by the thought that I might have been living in Metropolis all along and never even known it.

Maybe I should be looking up in the sky more often... wink

Joy,
Lynn

#193781 03/03/13 03:49 PM
Pulitzer
Pulitzer
Lynn

What a cool thought! Look up in the sky ... and see if the Lexor Hotel is anywhere around while you are doing that.
hyper

Morgana

A writer's job is to think of new plots and create characters who stay with you long after the final page has been read. If that mission is accomplished than we have done what we set out to do, which is to entertain and hopefully educate.
#193782 03/05/13 06:39 PM
J
Pulitzer
Pulitzer
J
They show a map in the Pilot when Clark (he is not Superman yet, he doesn't have the suit) flies to Shanghai, and that makes it look like Metropolis is somewhere in North-east Pennsylvania, maybe not far from Scranton.

However in "Return of the Prankster" there is a map at the poor company that Griffin is messing with, and that really looks like it is a section of New York City.

Then there is the "Night Before Mxmas" where the bar tender is shocked to learn the 5th dimension is worse than Jersey. This establishes that Metropolis is not in New Jersey.

Also in I think it was "Ordinary People" Clark goes to deal with a nuclear problem in Philadelphia and the bad guys try to kill Lois while he is away. I am not sure that tells us much beyond that Metropolis is not Philly.

On the other hand at least in the script for "Man of Steal Bars" Lois mentions that it is much colder in New York. They did change a lot between the script we have an actual publication, moving it from December to November and from over 100 degrees to in the 90s, but I think they did keep the mention of New York.

Actually I went and watched through that point, and Lois does say "its 12 degrees in New York, they have 8 inches of snow in Chicago and were having a run on sun block."

So it does appear at some level New York is elsewhere. That does not mean that Metropolis is not in other ways a New York equivalent.

John Pack Lambert
#193783 03/06/13 09:30 AM
L
Pulitzer
OP Offline
Pulitzer
L
In sum: Metropolis: The wandering city! wink

Joy,
Lynn

Page 2 of 2 1 2

Moderated by  bakasi, Toomi8