Page 1 of 2 1 2
#180309 10/16/05 05:50 AM
A
Anonymous
Unregistered
Anonymous
Unregistered
A
Using everyone who has ever played the roles of Clark Kent/Superman, Lois Lane, Perry White, Jimmy Olsen and Lex Luthor over the years, create your ultimate cast. Must be mixed from a minimum of three series'.
Here's mine.

Clark Kent/Superman: Christopher Reeve. When watching him play the role, all others are forgotten....

Lois Lane: Teri Hatcher. No one will ever play Lois like she did. Perfect for the role. People always say no one will ever play Superman as well as Chris Reeve, and it's just as true with Teri as Lois. Anyone who thinks differently is just Kidding themselves.

Jimmy Olsen: Justin Whalin. Theres never been a better Jimmy. Enough said.

Perry White = Lane Smith. Need I say more?

Lex Luthor: That guy from Smallville but older.

Oh and feel free to add other characters to this.

#180310 10/17/05 03:42 PM
Hack from Nowheresville
Hack from Nowheresville
Superman- Christopher Reeves,just because of the height
Clark Kent- Dean Cain, the best ever in putting to life this character.
Lois Lane- definitely Teri Hatcher
Jimmy Olsen- Justin Whalin
Perry White- Lane Smith

So, pretty much for me, it's a Lois & Clark line-up. No other show comes close to it, anyway.

#180311 10/17/05 05:17 PM
Boards Chief Administrator Emeritus
Nobel Peace Prize Winner
Boards Chief Administrator Emeritus
Nobel Peace Prize Winner
I used to love the Chris Reeve movies (well, the first two anyway wink ). But after watching LNC, all bets were off, I'm afraid. So for me it would have to be Dean and Teri in their roles. No one comes close.

I was already a huge fan of Justin Whalen, thanks to a guest star role he did for one of my other all-time favourite shows, The Young Riders. So I tend to favour him for the role of Jimmy. I have nothing against Michael Landes, but for me S1 Jimmy was just too mature for the role as I'd always envisaged it. Too street-smart, not as naive as he should be. Justin and the way Jimmy as written for him was perfect.

Perry - I enjoyed the actor who played him in the Reeve movies, but Lane Smith, again, just had something that said Perry White to me.

Lex Luthor - I hadn't seen many incarnations of Lex, other than Gene Hackman in the Reeve movies and I always thought he was too over the top. John Shea on the other hand gave a wonderfully complex cast to the character and was devilishly handsome to boot. So guess who scores best of all there. goofy I much prefer Shea's smoothly evil persona than Hackman's more comedic take.

LabRat smile

Athos: If you'd told us what you were doing, we might have been able to plan this properly.
Aramis: Yes, sorry.
Athos: No, no, by all means, let's keep things suicidal.

The Musketeers
#180312 10/17/05 06:23 PM
J
Merriwether
Merriwether
J
I'm actually not a big fan of Superman (comics movies, smallville) so I'm not sure I will even go see the new Superman movie. If they would get the cast of LnC back together of course then I'd be running to the theater. For me Dean IS Superman.

Jackie

Superman: I hear you've been looking for me.
Lois: All my life.
#180313 10/17/05 07:19 PM
A
Anonymous
Unregistered
Anonymous
Unregistered
A
See, this is exactly why I said a minimum of three series' cast mixed in. Yes, the Lois and Clark cast did a great job, I know that. But the whole point was to blend it up a little. I dunno why I bothered starting the thread now, no one seems to understand the concept of a pick 'n' mix....

Honestly next you'll all be saying Lord Nor was a better Evil Kryptonian than General Zod. Nah, who'd be that crazy?

#180314 10/17/05 07:33 PM
Pulitzer
Pulitzer
I think it's less that we don't understand the concept of 'pick and mix' than that those who've replied actually do prefer the Lois and Clark actors. Personally, I can't watch the Superman movies any more; I find them embarrassing. Great actor though Christopher Reeve was, he can't compensate for Margot Kidder, and I don't like the version of the Superman mythos in which Clark is the disguise. Reeve's Clark makes me want to switch channels. goofy I hated that aspect of Superman II (actually, I didn't like much at all in that film once we got past Clark giving up Superman's powers because Lois said she was in love with Superman... go figure. huh ), and I'm not a fan of the New Krypton arc in Lois and Clark.

Everyone's entitled to their own opinion, Jensguy, remember - and that's all this is: an opinion. smile

Wendy smile

Just a fly-by! *waves*
#180315 10/17/05 08:01 PM
A
Anonymous
Unregistered
Anonymous
Unregistered
A
Sorry I overreacted, but I did specifically say in my first post in this thread to mix the cast from a minimum of three series. The whole point of that was to encourage a little thinking outside the box.

I'm sorry if I came across as if opinions other than mine were irrelivant. That was 100% not my intention, as the whole point of this thread was to get people's opinions. And yes I agree with you about Margot Kidder (See my first post in this thread for evidence of that). No one believes more strongly than I do in freedom of expression. I just get carried away sometimes. Just like when I was 3 running round the room with a red blanket behind me and wearing out my Superman videos. lol. You've probabally already guessed this and don't like it, but I see Lois and Clark as ONE POSSIBLE INTERPRITATION of a constantly reinventable character. By no means am I so obsessed with, say Chris Reeve's portrayal, that I don't see how brilliant Dean Cain was in the role. No version will ever get it perfect, but give me the Lois and Clark TV series and the Reeve films and I'd be happy with those and Lois and Clark fanfic. Oh and a one off special of Lois and Clark to tie up the loose end(s?).

Sorry to rant on for so long people.

As for our opinions on the best actors to play roles in the Superverse, I hope we'll have reason to change our minds next year.....

#180316 10/17/05 11:17 PM
Features Writer
Features Writer
Well, aside from the fact that I'm lurking more than anything else these days, there are a couple of problems that I have that make it difficult, if not impossible, for me to answer this. And this may apply to others as well.

1. You referred to creating the "ultimate cast". Which implies choosing the best/ideal person for each role. Now, I remain a big fan of the first 2 Superman movies, despite the fact that my distinct preference is for the non-dorky Clark Kent. In some ways I prefer Christopher's Superman to Dean's - perhaps because he is the "real" person, rather than the disguise. From the movies, I have no real quarrel with some of the other characters you mention, but for all of them I definitely prefer the L&C actors. So they're the ones I would want on my "best" list.

2. It's hard combining different shows/movies, because they represented different times. My understanding from the comics of the time of the movies is that Clark Kent was a dork, so Christopher's performance was certainly accurate. wink But obviously that wouldn't have worked on L&C, on so many levels. If there hadn't been the revamp where Clark was the "real" person, there wouldn't have been an L&C.
I had no objections to a totally over-the-top Lex Luthor in the movies, but then having seen an urbane, sophisticated yet truly evil Lex on L&C, that definitely wins hands down for me. Would that style of portrayal have worked as well in the movie - perhaps, perhaps not...

3. And having knocked out the movies, I have nowhere else to go. I know that I saw reruns of the George Reeves' show when I was young, but I don't remember enough about it to possibly place any of those actors on the "best" list. And as for Smallville, I love reading the reviews and comments that people post on the boards, but I've only seen 3-4 episodes. I do like Lex, but not better than John Shea, so he doesn't supplant him on the list either.
I've never watched the animated series. Are there any other choices?

I have a number of concerns about the new movie, and I'm certainly unhappy about the fact that since they've returned to movie continuity this means that Clark will be a dork once again. I'll definitely see it, but I think I can safely say in advance that L&C will remain my favorite incarnation.

Kathy

"Our thoughts form the universe. They always matter." - Babylon 5
#180317 10/18/05 04:35 AM
A
Anonymous
Unregistered
Anonymous
Unregistered
A
OK, fair enough. Some thoughts on your thoughts however.

1. OK, I should've been more careful with the words I chose.

2. You're right. Howeveroe thing you mention here I do disagree with. I think that neither Clark or Superman is the "real" person, but that both the cape and the glasses are disgiuses to hide the true man underneath.

3. Fair enough. I suppose there isn't as much out there as you'd think even after 70 odd years.

4. I have a few concerns about the movie too. Such as if they're using movie continuity, does that mean it's gonna be a pre-Crisis Superman?

5. Lois and Clark is probabally the best incarnation so far. However as I said before, no version will ever get it perfect, and Lois and Clark didn't (Hey, watch where you're throwing those tomatoes people!).

Now, finally son of Jor-El....

#180318 10/18/05 06:21 AM
Pulitzer
Pulitzer
In the spirit of things...

Superman: Christopher Reeve.

Clark Kent: Dean Cain

Lois Lane: Teri Hatcher.

Jimmy Olsen: Michael Landes, hands down. Sorry Labby, but the very reasons you don't like him, I do! He reminded me more of the Jimmy Olsen of the comic books.

Perry White: Lane Smith, though the Elvis stuff was a shocker to get over, at first.

Lex Luthor: John Shea all the way.

Martha Kent: K Callan

Jonathan Kent: John Schneider.

Lana: Kristin Kreuk

Kryptonian villian: Zod! Nor was sooooo over the top!

“…with God everything is possible.” Matthew 19:26.

Also read Nan's Terran Underground!
#180319 10/18/05 07:44 AM
A
Anonymous
Unregistered
Anonymous
Unregistered
A
Originally posted by mr_d8a:
In the spirit of things...

Superman: Christopher Reeve.

Clark Kent: Dean Cain

Can't really see two actors splitting the role but agree it would be best in this case. Besides if The Hulk can do it.....

Lois Lane: Teri Hatcher.

The only Lois I could ever understand Superman falling for.......

Jimmy Olsen: Michael Landes, hands down. Sorry Labby, but the very reasons you don't like him, I do! He reminded me more of the Jimmy Olsen of the comic books.

I could nail this role. This or the role of Peter Parker...

Perry White: Lane Smith, though the Elvis stuff was a shocker to get over, at first.

Great Elvis' Ghost, you were shocked!

Lex Luthor: John Shea all the way.

Amen to that. Only thing I'd change is I'd have made him bald from the beginning. It's traditional.

Martha Kent: K Callan

Jonathan Kent: John Schneider.

OK, too weird a couple......

Lana: Kristin Kreuk

From Smallville?

Kryptonian villian: Zod! Nor was sooooo over the top!
Nice one.

Nice to see someone buying the variety mix.

"Where the Spirit of the Lord is, there is freedom"2 Corinthians 3:17
Yes, but not where the Pope is there isn't.....

I assume you're a ST:TNG fan mr_d8a?

#180320 10/18/05 10:51 AM
Pulitzer
Pulitzer
Please be careful about responding inside a quote. I didn't even realize you had had other comments until I noticed that it looked a little different.

>>Superman: Christopher Reeve.

>>Clark Kent: Dean Cain

>Can't really see two actors splitting the role but agree it would be best in this case. Besides if The Hulk can do it.....

It's that Kryptionian muscle control...

>>Lex Luthor: John Shea all the way.

>Amen to that. Only thing I'd change is I'd have made him bald from the beginning. It's traditional.

Or at least bald with a really nice toupee...

>>Martha Kent: K Callan

>>Jonathan Kent: John Schneider.

>OK, too weird a couple......

Well, you'd have to do some time manipulation to get the right age for the two. Geez! Personnally, I'd make K younger as she could only get better. We don't know what John will look like as an old man...

>>Lana: Kristin Kreuk

>From Smallville?

Yes.

James

“…with God everything is possible.” Matthew 19:26.

Also read Nan's Terran Underground!
#180321 10/18/05 12:55 PM
Merriwether
Merriwether
I can't really pick cast, since L&C is my main exposure, along with Justice League (Unlimited). And in JLU, there's a lot more than just Superman. Though I did like one episode where Clark/Superman (wearing the suit) and Lois had a picnic lunch on the top of some building. The conversation seemed like L&C to me.

Smallville: Don't watch it, never will. The reviews I've heard have just strengthened my resolve against it. I've seen one episode and I wasn't too impressed. Fandom factoid: the title Lex Go *SPLAT* came from a conversation between me and a friend who was watching Smallville and talking about Lex. I was insisting Lex was dead. laugh

The movies: I didn't really like them before I saw L&C, and I'm still not a fan. Post-crisis Clark/Superman has become the way it *should* be to me.

And I've never seen the previous series.

Now, as far as the the new movie goes, yes, it looks like they're going pre-crisis. In fact, if you've seen the pictures of the new actor, he looks a <b>heck</b> a lot like Christopher Reeves. Which means I'm losing interest in the movie. Which is sad, since I like what Bryan Singer did with X-Men.

"You need me. You wouldn't be much of a hero without a villain. And you do love being the hero, don't you. The cheering children, the swooning women, you love it so much, it's made you my most reliable accomplice." -- Lex Luthor to Superman, Question Authority, Justice League Unlimited
#180322 10/18/05 01:59 PM
A
Anonymous
Unregistered
Anonymous
Unregistered
A
The Hulk has Krytonian muscle control? COOL!!!

#180323 10/18/05 02:31 PM
A
Anonymous
Unregistered
Anonymous
Unregistered
A
Yeah, post-Crisis is infinitely better......

#180324 10/18/05 03:48 PM
Pulitzer
Pulitzer
Mixing and matching is hard. Mostly because you're right -- the characters have evolved quite a bit over time. I love Chris Reeve's Superman (and the little details, like the way they tinted his hair blue when he was in the suit), but putting him with Teri just wouldn't work for me. I mean, can you imagine Silver Age Lois with Modern Age Clark? He's trying to deal with real problems and take a mature look at his crazy world while she's running around, obsessed with proving that he's Superman in disguise. She thinks she's Superman's girlfriend, but to Clark, she's supposed to be his wife. Meantime, somewhere in the background, Jimmy has mutated into a giant tentacled monster again and Golden Age Perry is sitting in his austere office, waiting for someone to come in and talk to him, prefably to explain the flimsy and very unusual typewriter which suddenly appeared on his desk.

Whatever you think of Smallville, mixing the teenaged characters with the adults from other versions would create all sorts of problems.

I keep trying to come up with a way around it, but it's still not fair. For example... Chris Reeve is the best Superman, but the Silver Age writing just doesn't cut it for me. Sometimes, it almost hurts to see bumbling Clark. Even just focusing on Superman, there's a lot of baggage. The plot holes. The random powers they decided to add (since when did Superman have telekinesis?).

Still...

Dean makes the best Clark. Not much question about that.

Lois is harder for me. I don't like Margot Kidder's version. I do love L&C, but I am not a fan of Teri's. I think I may have to go with the George Reeves version here, even if I don't remember the names of the cast.

I liked the George Reeves version of Jimmy, too. Silly, but classic.

Lane Smith carried over a lot of my favorite aspects of the George Reeves version of Perry, and he brought more depth to the character. Partly because L&C was a more modern show, with 1 hour episodes and better, more mature writing.

When Batman shows up for the crossover ep, I'm going to have to pick Kevin Conroy.

As for the movie, I haven't been paying too much attention. I'll wait till they have their stuff more together and we can see actual trailers and such. The only photos of the actor I've really seen were photoshopped images of his head on Chris Reeve's body. Besides, the whole thing's been through too many revisions to count.

Are you guys sure about continuity, though? I thought they were taking their cue from Batman and starting fresh. Okay, Superman IV wasn't as bad as Batman and Robin. At least the former is watchable and even has its moments. Still, you'd think, especially after all this time, that they'd be better off without that burden of pre-Crisis continuity.

Speaking of post-Crisis continuity... I agree that it's infinitely better than pre-Crisis, but what's going to happen post-Inifinite Crisis?

Oh, and one last thing... "Kneel before Zod!" indeed... wink

Paul

When in doubt, think about penguins. It probably won't help, but at least it'll be fun.
#180325 10/18/05 04:24 PM
T
Merriwether
Merriwether
T
Lois Lane: Teri Hatcher. She has made the role hers for live action.

All other characters are irrelevant.

Tank (who is on record as not caring for the Margot Kidder portrayal... not caring at all)

#180326 10/18/05 05:53 PM
A
Anonymous
Unregistered
Anonymous
Unregistered
A
That's like saying Bob Cratchet is the only relevent character in A Christmas Carol. Granted Lois is a bit more important (She's like Jacob Marley) but I don't think Teri in a one woman show acting as Lois would be that popular, unless of course she had hair down to her knees........ wink

#180327 10/18/05 06:19 PM
Merriwether
Merriwether
Originally posted by HatMan:

As for the movie, I haven't been paying too much attention. I'll wait till they have their stuff more together and we can see actual trailers and such. The only photos of the actor I've really seen were photoshopped images of his head on Chris Reeve's body. Besides, the whole thing's been through too many revisions to count.

Are you guys sure about continuity, though? I thought they were taking their cue from Batman and starting fresh. Okay, Superman IV wasn't as bad as Batman and Robin. At least the former is watchable and even has its moments. Still, you'd think, especially after all this time, that they'd be better off without that burden of pre-Crisis continuity.
*sigh* I wish. Here's what Coming Soon has for the plot info:

Following a mysterious absence of several years, the Man of Steel comes back to Earth in the epic action-adventure Superman Returns, a soaring new chapter in the saga of one of the world's most beloved superheroes. While an old enemy plots to render him powerless once and for all, Superman faces the heartbreaking realization that the woman he loves, Lois Lane, has moved on with her life. Or has she? Superman's bittersweet return challenges him to bridge the distance between them while finding a place in a society that has learned to survive without him. In an attempt to protect the world he loves from cataclysmic destruction, Superman embarks on an epic journey of redemption that takes him from the depths of the ocean to the far reaches of outer space.
That site, and Superhero Hype has pictures and other articles on the movie.

"You need me. You wouldn't be much of a hero without a villain. And you do love being the hero, don't you. The cheering children, the swooning women, you love it so much, it's made you my most reliable accomplice." -- Lex Luthor to Superman, Question Authority, Justice League Unlimited
#180328 10/22/05 10:05 AM
A
Anonymous
Unregistered
Anonymous
Unregistered
A
By the way, I meant the hair on her head before anyone accuses me of anything. Hey Tank, Herb says hi.

Page 1 of 2 1 2

Moderated by  bakasi, Toomi8 

Link Copied to Clipboard