Print Thread
K
Boards Chief Administrator
Pulitzer
OP Offline
Pulitzer
K
I'm posting this here cause, while it's about homework, it's also about L&C. wink

This semester I'm taking "Sociology of Utopia", which, as it's turning out, not as fun as I imagined. razz That is until... the teacher handed out the guidelines for our term paper:

The purpose of the term project is to give you an opportunity to focus on, research, and report on one particular aspect of utopianism or one particular utopian scheme that intrests you... Utopian Schemes - Community, Literary Work, Art or Film
So... in other words... guess what I'm going to do?! goofy

Kerth nominations are opening on March 3!
๐Ÿ†2024 Kerth Award Posts ๐Ÿ†.

Join us on the #loisclark Discord server! We talk about fanfic, the show, life, and more!

You can also find me on Tumblr and AO3.

Merriwether
Merriwether
That sounds like a wicked assignment.

I would pick LnC.

I'd say more but I have to go to my Grandparents now.

I've converted to lurk-ism... hopefully only temporary.
Blogger
Blogger
This may be a off topic post but if u want to read about utopia or a dystopia pretending to be a utopia try Adolf Huxley's Brave New World (that is what i am studying for eng lit in my sch) and it is quite interesting. You may find it useful even. wink

A
Anonymous
Unregistered
Anonymous
Unregistered
A
there's also Utopia by Thomas Moore or Lรฎle des Gauchers by Alexandre Jardin (OK, forget last one).

come to think of it, I had kind of the same assignment in "media and image analysis".

tough, and I don't have a real answer, so I'm gonna scatter ideas:

I think I'll choose FoLCdom. easier to get round all the aspects you mentionned. Plus FoLCDom sounds safer to me 'cause OT free. safer in case you get tempted to mistook LC utopia with LC the tvshow. It's also easier if you have to present it in front of a class: not everyone may be a fan of the LC serie or know all the subtilities of its verse, but everybody knows about net communities's.

Plus with FoLCDom you can't avoid mentionning where its origins are taken: so the LC show definitely fits in.

not sure if that helps...

Carole smile1

Pulitzer
Pulitzer
I'd rather see you do FoLCdom -- online fan communities have a wider appeal to non-FOLCs. I've seen a few academic papers on fandom, and they've been fascinating. I'm sure you would do no less <g>

PJ

"You told me you weren't like other men," she said, shaking her head at him when the storm of laughter had passed.
He grinned at her - a goofy, Clark Kent kind of a grin. "I have a gift for understatement."
"You can say that again," she told him.
"I have a...."
"Oh, shut up."

--Stardust, Caroline K
K
Pulitzer
OP Offline
Pulitzer
K
Thanks for your opinions, folcs! When it came right down to it, actually extrapolating on the terms... I chose L&C. It was actually a bit easier that way. laugh I'm posting my proposal for those who care. goofy And if anyone wants to have fun, they can list scenes or episodes or fics that might be helpful in supporting my points. laugh If not, just enjoy my insane attempt to make L&C a part of everything I do (which I might add, the teacher marked "Excellent!" smile ).

Utopian Scheme: Lois and Clark: The New Adventures of Superman (L&C or Lois and Clark)

Lois and Clark as a television series and, by extension, a literary genre known as fan fiction, is a critical utopia. The universe in which it is set, is contemporaneous to ours; and while not a perfect society, it is markedly better than ours and provides a good comparison to the genre of utopia. (Paraphrased from Claeys and Sargent, page 2)

Aspects of Utopianism as relating to L&C:

Social Good - Superman is the epitome of social good, striving to "fight for truth, justice, and the American Way." The character of Clark Kent/Superman is honest and moral and stands as an example of an ideal citizen. Superman isn't utopia, himself, but the idea of him permeates those around him as inspiration towards a greater social good.

Cosmology - MerriamWebster.com defines cosmology as "a branch of astronomy that deals with the origin, structure, and space-time relationships of the universe" The television series, as well as the fan fiction genre, explores the idea of soul mates, cosmically bound souls that no matter the time or place, find each other during each life. Lois and Clark also delves into the idea of time travel and alternate universes - benefits and consequences.

Identity - Lois and Clark exhibits a culture in which good always prevails over evil - an often portrayed aspiration of society. The ideal of good winning against evil is not only conveyed through Superman's struggles against the villains, but also through the sub-culture of the news media. Lois and Clark endeavor daily to make the world a better place by exposing criminals and righting wrongs through their work as reporters. Lois and Clark also explores the counter-culture, the near antithesis of the original society, of a parallel universe in which there is a Clark Kent, but no Superman. This universe's battle against evil is far more difficult, emphasizing the idealness of the original universe.

Summum bonum: No matter the struggle, good will win over evil, and true love will always prevail.

Sara laugh

Kerth nominations are opening on March 3!
๐Ÿ†2024 Kerth Award Posts ๐Ÿ†.

Join us on the #loisclark Discord server! We talk about fanfic, the show, life, and more!

You can also find me on Tumblr and AO3.

Top Banana
Top Banana
wow! smile

If she had to move heaven and Earth, perhaps come back to haunt Perry and explain the story after they'd killed her, she would do it.

Waking a Miracle by Aria

Moderated by  bakasi, Toomi8 

Link Copied to Clipboard