Lois & Clark Fanfic Message Boards
Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Page 4 of 4 1 2 3 4
#175633 11/26/03 06:20 PM
Pulitzer
Pulitzer
Okay...so if Lex doesn't have a split personality, then perhaps cloning is involved? evil

Lois: You say the windows have been painted over? Oils or Acrylic? Sorry, my dad is an artist. blush Anywho, don't worry; help is on the way. We have given blood hounds one of your socks and their are quickly leading us to...a sock factory?! BAD DOG; BAD, BAD DOG!!!
Erm, sorry about that. Anyway, keep your chin up!

~•~
#175634 11/27/03 01:37 AM
A
Anonymous
Unregistered
Anonymous
Unregistered
A
Actually, it's the less common spelling in the US. The more common spelling is fiancé.
oh, thanks for the info, Rivka. smile

I think the real Lex may very well be #666. Something about that number seems to suit him.
Well, I'm torn, isn't that #666 thing a tad too obvious? and I thought the suitable figure was #999? I must admit though that #666 sounds Lexer than #599 (but this one got two '9'). laugh

And, instead of clones or split personnality, how about Jaxon playing a nasty trick?

Carole smile1

#175635 11/27/03 02:44 AM
Pulitzer
Pulitzer
Rivka, even in the US a fiancé is what a woman has and a fiancée is what a man has. In other words, fiancé is the male version and a fiancée is the female.

Wendy smile

Just a fly-by! *waves*
#175636 11/27/03 02:57 AM
A
Anonymous
Unregistered
Anonymous
Unregistered
A
In other words, fiancé is the male version and a fiancée is the female.
Then it's really stolen from the french! Well, thanks for those useful explanations, though.

Carole smile1

#175637 11/27/03 11:07 AM
Merriwether
Merriwether
Wendy, according to dictionaries, absolutely. According to usage, even well-educated people (as Lex likes to think he is) often use fiancé (often without an accent) for both. huh

I do know the difference between the two. But a quick survey of non-FOLC people on my AIM buddy list indicates that most Americans -- including ones with advanced degrees -- do not. Only the grammar geeks did. laugh

Do you know the most surprising thing about divorce? It doesn't actually kill you, like a bullet to the heart or a head-on car wreck. It should. When someone you've promised to cherish till death do you part says, "I never loved you," it should kill you instantly.

- Under the Tuscan Sun
#175638 11/27/03 12:54 PM
M
Hack from Nowheresville
Hack from Nowheresville
M
Then again, perhaps it's just the Americans that use fiance for both sexes. laugh

In Singapore, we use the dictionary definitions, both 'fiance' and 'fiancee' as well. As Wendy puts it
it's the recognised, correct English spelling (UK, US, Irish, Canadian, Australian etc) version of a word we stole from the French.
Or perhaps it's a Commonwealth thing, and US is not part of the Commonwealth. Who knows?

twins
metwin1

#175639 11/27/03 02:06 PM
Merriwether
Merriwether
Agreed, metwin, that's why I specified that all the people I asked were Americans. Actually, that was my point, really.

Americans are the ones who use fiance, fiancé, and fiancée interchangeably. It's far from the worst usage issue of which we are guilty. wink

Kinda makes me wonder if Lex lives in an alt-universe where he attended a British or European boarding school as a teen. huh

Do you know the most surprising thing about divorce? It doesn't actually kill you, like a bullet to the heart or a head-on car wreck. It should. When someone you've promised to cherish till death do you part says, "I never loved you," it should kill you instantly.

- Under the Tuscan Sun
#175640 11/27/03 05:04 PM
Top Banana
Top Banana
Americans are the ones who use fiance, fiancé, and fiancée interchangeably. It's far from the worst usage issue of which we are guilty.
I always watch my spelling and my grammer, and get ticked when other people don't. For example, it drives me crazy when people misuse:
Then-Than
there- they're- their
to-two-too
Quite-quiet (yes, believe it or not)
which-witch
wether-weather-whether
And I hate it when people say things like "she has went." Please.
But, then, I'm Canadian.
And I have studied grammer pretty deeply in my ESL class a couple of years ago, and in Israel.

I have issues with correcing people- I know they hate it, so I try not to, but sometimes I can't help it.
Julie

Mulder: Imagine if you could come back and take out five people who had caused you to suffer. Who would they be?
Scully: I only get five?
Mulder: I remembered your birthday this year, didn't I, Scully?

(The X-Files)
#175641 11/27/03 05:13 PM
Y
Top Banana
Top Banana
Y
I think this discussion is getting waaaay off topic.

Clark, come save Lois! She seems really scared.

ps. I never even knew fiance wasn't interchangable huh

Laura "The Yellow Dart" U. (Alicia U. on the archive)

"A hero is an ordinary individual who finds the strength to persevere and endure in spite of overwhelming obstacles." -- Christopher Reeve
#175642 11/30/03 07:57 AM
Blogger
Blogger
dance dance dance

Thank you, thank you all a thousand times for your help and support in this. Thanks to Lois's hints, Jimmy and Jack's help, Superman, and all of your guidence and encouragement, I'm delighted to finally tell you that Lois is now safe and sound, back where she belongs -- and none the worse for wear, at least not if the rate at which she's talking is any indicator laugh She still hasn't fully forgiven me for my 'case of delayed lunkheadedness' as she puts it, but I'm having a lot of fun making it up to her wink

Special thanks to Wendy, for that idea about the hills behind Metropolis. Your theory was proved correct. Luthor had transported them there - to a forboding citadel situated deep in the core of the highest mountain - and thanks to a good deal of help from Superman, Jimmy and Jack, we made a joint effort, rescued Lois and put Luthor behind bars, where he will remain until the end of his days, all in the one go.

So once again, thank you! This will probably be the last communication I have with you -- my world is worth living in once more, now that Lois is back in it, but trust me, I'll never forget you all, and the help you gave me...

Clark party

"You're a weird guy, Clark, that's a given."

-Lois Lane
#175643 11/30/03 09:02 AM
Merriwether
Merriwether
Yay! I'm glad you found her, Clark! And I'm sorry you won't be posting to us anymore, giving us updates. Maybe Lois will come back one last time, just to fill us in? I mean, she must have gotten some revenge on Lex, right???? I mean, kidnapping is bad enough, but he did shave her head, after all. I bet by the time she got done with him, he was begging for Superman to take him to a nice safe prison! goofy

So how did you find her? And did Superman help, hint hint? wink

Kathy

#175644 12/01/03 10:25 AM
Blogger
Blogger
What? Oh! You were looking for me, were you, Kathy? Oh! Sorry... been kind of busy the last couple of days. wink

You know how it is. I mean, when you've been held prisoner by an evil villain and threatened with rape and had your head shaven and your boyfriend promised to rescue you and let you down and only finally rescues you days later when said evil villain has moved you to a new safe location outside the city... well, you and your boyfriend have some 'catching up' to do. Oh yeah, I did forgive Clark. After a while. Once he'd grovelled a bit. Well, a lot, actually. He's pretty good at grovelling, you know? wink

Anyway... yeah, as I was saying, we've been kind of busy. So, you were asking... did Superman help? Well, I guess you could say so. Discreetly. I mean, we knew that Luthor had Kryptonite, and Clark told me afterwards that he... uh, I mean Superman, really, I guess, was being very careful. No sighting of a red cape, no K, see?

And then once Luthor was all tied up, Superman flew me back home. That was nice... very nice. drool Though I have to admit that it's not as nice as being kissed by Clark... sloppy that's a pleasure I won't give up again in a hurry!

I think that's about all - oh! Yes! Jack wasn't dead after all! He'd escaped when Luthor tried to kill him, and he found his way to Clark. He and Jimmy worked with Clark to find out where I was and get me out of there. I'm going to be extra-nice to the two of them... oh, for at least a couple of weeks. smile

And Luthor's pre-trial hearing is coming up soon - in fact, that reminds me, I must rush and do my witness statement!

Clark! CLARK!! Clark, you know I love kissing you, but I have a lot of work to do here! What? Oh! Umm... well, I guess you can write it a lot faster than I can... oh, okay then! laugh

Thanks for all your support and help! Bye guys! Got some serious making out to do...

Lois cool

#175645 12/01/03 11:31 AM
A
Pulitzer
Pulitzer
A
Only one question left to be answered...

What about the two Lexes? confused

Clark said:

[...]put Luthor behind bars[...]
Which one? confused

AnnaBtG.

What we've got here is failure to communicate...
#175646 12/02/03 04:11 AM
Merriwether
Merriwether
Only one of the Lexes was holding Lois captive, Anna, so I don't think Clark could do anything with the other one ... hmm, /me thinks he'll be back again to play someday. wink

Kathy

#175647 12/03/03 08:58 AM
M
Blogger
Blogger
M
Lois!!

It's wonderful to see that you are safe. I'm a bit worried about your mental condition after the whole ordeal, however. I suppose it's only natural that you would - er, bond with the one who rescued you. But, please - Kent? ::shudder::

I, myself, expanded every effort to find you. At times it felt almost as if Clark and his friends were actively working against me. It is due to his childish behaviour that it took so long to deliver you from the clutches of that evil imposter. If he and his friends had accepted my leadership and help, we surely would have found you sooner.

Why, at this moment, you and I could be together if Clark had not sent me on a wild goose chase through the Metropolis Reclaimation Facility. The mutalated Barbie doll (complete with its hair cut off) that I un-earth only underscores the childish nature of the one you claim as "saviour."

Yes - I'll sadly admit to being duped this once by that hack from Nowheresville. I was blinded by my desire to secure you from the poor, wretched creature who treated you so brutally.

Lois, darling, save your ink on the witness papers. Just between you and me, someone as mentally unstable as that imposter will surely have an unfortunate accident in the very near future. Prison is, after all, a very dangerous place.

evil

Let me know what I can do to help you recover. Take my advice and stay way from your supposed partner. I fear he has less than honourable motives for smothering you with his "affection."

Yours forever,

Lex

The One and Only... Lex Luthor
Page 4 of 4 1 2 3 4

Moderated by  bakasi, Toomi8 

Link Copied to Clipboard