Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
#175386 10/09/03 09:02 AM
Sorcha Offline OP
Beat Reporter
OP Offline
Beat Reporter
Does anyone know the name of another reporter, working for a TV station [but preferably not LNN] who would be pretty obscure, but who could know Lois? Must be female, must be around at the Madame Ex timeline. I *would* just make one up, but somehow all the names I can think of at the moment are Irish hyper

Sara wave

Death: Easy, Bill. You'll give yourself a heart attack and ruin my vacation.

Meet Joe Black
#175387 10/09/03 09:23 AM
Top Banana
Top Banana
The only ones that come to mind are Cat Grant and Linda King, but they don't wotk in a TV station. If thinking up an American name is a problem, just ask for some. smile

Mulder: Imagine if you could come back and take out five people who had caused you to suffer. Who would they be?
Scully: I only get five?
Mulder: I remembered your birthday this year, didn't I, Scully?

(The X-Files)
#175388 10/09/03 10:47 AM
Top Banana
Top Banana
Sara,
Go ahead and give her whatever name you want. Newscasters on the TV have names from every possible ethnic background. Off hand I can think of Geraldo Rivera, Conni Chung, Wolf Blitzer, Bill O'Reilly, Brit Hume, and that's just off the top of my head. No one would think twice if yours had an Irish name.
- Vicki

"Hold on, my friends, to the Constitution and to the Republic for which it stands. Miracles do not cluster and what has happened once in 6,000 years, may not happen again. Hold on to the Constitution" - Daniel Webster
#175389 10/09/03 07:35 PM
Pulitzer
Pulitzer
hmm... just for the heck of it, how about vicki vale? she's a reporter (not sure if she's in tv, but i think she might be) who tends to work in the gotham area, but has been known to be elsewhere from time to time. smile

there's also leslie willis, who at some point will be come the villain livewire, but who started out in media. in the cartoon, she was a DJ, but in the comics, livewire was a TV reporter.

other than that, you can use real names. connie chung comes to mind. lori jordan, iirc, is a reporter for one of the networks. roz abrams. jane pauley.

take any of those or make up your own. whatever works. smile

Paul

When in doubt, think about penguins. It probably won't help, but at least it'll be fun.
#175390 10/09/03 10:30 PM
Boards Chief Administrator Emeritus
Nobel Peace Prize Winner
Nobel Peace Prize Winner
Conni Chung,
There was a female reporter on LNN who was actually named and my memory tells me it was an obvious parody of the real Connie Chung - the name was very similar, IIRC. Now, knowing my memory that's about all I can tell you and even that might be skewed. <G>

Was it in ILTY, perhaps? When they're watching the LNN report on the TV in the newsroom?

But I agree with Vicki. The US is such a melting pot that almost any name will work.

EDIT: Ooooops. Just spotted in your post you don't want LNN. Okay, just ignore me. <G>

LabRat smile

Athos: If you'd told us what you were doing, we might have been able to plan this properly.
Aramis: Yes, sorry.
Athos: No, no, by all means, let's keep things suicidal.

The Musketeers
#175391 10/10/03 08:26 AM
Sorcha Offline OP
Beat Reporter
OP Offline
Beat Reporter
Hey guys wave

Thanks for all these replies - definitely helping! smile

No one would think twice if yours had an Irish name.
To be honest, Vicki, it annoys me when the only names I can think of are Siobhán, or Caoimhe, or Caitriona, or McGrath, or O'Floinn... see what I mean? They all make absolutely no sense for a person with an American accent... "I'm Caoimhe McGrath, here at whatever news network." It's just... niggley wink

Was it in ILTY, perhaps? When they're watching the LNN report on the TV in the newsroom?
Unfortunately, never seen ILTY - didn't even get what the acronym was at first sad It's for Madame Ex, with the anti-Superman protest going on outside the council office. There's a few reporters scurrying around, and one female has rather an important role... laugh

[Yes, Rat, I'm working on what you're thinking I'm working on. Longhand smile ]

The name Conni Chung is appealing to me... and I don't think it'll really matter whether she's from LNN or not. I'm just being picky <g>. Won't make any difference to the basic idea.

Thanks again, all!

Sara smile

Meet Joe Black
#175392 10/10/03 07:40 PM
RL Offline
Top Banana
Top Banana
How about Carmen Alvarado, the woman who worked for LexComm in the pilot who reported on the shuttle explosion.

I guess at a later time, LexComm was renamed LNN and the Congress of Nations was renamed the UN by the time "Sex, Lies, and Videotape" rolled around. smile

There's also Sandra Ellis, the LNN anchorwoman in Barbarians at the Planet who Lois bailed out, finding out which two city councilmen were about to be arrested.

P.S. Connie Chung is spelled with an 'e'. She has a one hour show on CNN now that gets abymal ratings.

-- Roger

"The Constitution only gives people the right to pursue happiness. You have to catch it yourself." -- Benjamin Franklin
#175393 10/10/03 07:54 PM
Pulitzer
Pulitzer
i have one other suggestion. it's a tad evil, and you'd have to tweak things a bit, but how about... diana stride? laugh

Paul

When in doubt, think about penguins. It probably won't help, but at least it'll be fun.
#175394 10/10/03 10:33 PM
Nobel Peace Prize Winner
Nobel Peace Prize Winner
[Yes, Rat, I'm working on what you're thinking I'm working on. Longhand ]
Ooooooooooh. hyper Does this mean we don't have to brainstorm? <g>

Oh, ILTY - I'm Looking Through You. The S1 episode with the invisible man.

Oh, and another thought for future reference when it comes to thinking up names. In the past I've gone trawling through the web for likely websites for the nationality I want and just picked up a likely name from one of them. Or an amalgamation of several names.

Say an Italian restaurant's website. An Australian tourist guide. You can also do a Google search for online phone books for most countries - plenty of names to be picked up there. smile And in the case of the US, you can find phone books for most states too, if you want to narrow it down even further.

LabRat smile

Athos: If you'd told us what you were doing, we might have been able to plan this properly.
Aramis: Yes, sorry.
Athos: No, no, by all means, let's keep things suicidal.

The Musketeers
#175395 10/11/03 06:11 AM
Top Banana
Top Banana
P.S. Connie Chung is spelled with an 'e'. She has a one hour show on CNN now that gets abymal ratings.
Sorry about that. (My brain was already on the next word before my fingers had finished typing that one.)

I don't remember Carmen Alvarado or Sandra Ellis, but I do like the idea of using actual reporters from the show. Just adds a little touch of authenticity.

- Vicki

"Hold on, my friends, to the Constitution and to the Republic for which it stands. Miracles do not cluster and what has happened once in 6,000 years, may not happen again. Hold on to the Constitution" - Daniel Webster
#175396 10/11/03 11:25 AM
A
Columnist
Columnist
A
Just a quick word of caution about using a real name.

I think the best idea is to use a reporter who was on the show at some point (if you can find one that fits the scenario) or to make up a random name. If you need help thinking up a random name, I'm sure you'll find lots of people who are willing to help.

But if you do decide to use the name of a real reporter, I'd strongly advise you to do background research first. If you use the name of a reporter your audience is familiar with and the reporter is described in a way that is totally different than what we are used to seeing (either physically or in her demeanor) you're going to jolt people out of the story. If it was just a casual appearance, I don't think it would really matter, but your earlier posts seem to indicate that this reporter has a good-sized role, so this is something to think about. Make sure whatever this reporter is doing/saying is something plausible for whatever real reporter you choose to fictionalize.

Annie

Being a reporter is as much a diagnosis as a job description. ~Anna Quindlen
#175397 10/14/03 08:02 AM
Sorcha Offline OP
Beat Reporter
OP Offline
Beat Reporter
Hey all thumbsup Hopefully, this should get the Muse rolling again hyper

Thanks again smile

Sara.

Meet Joe Black

Moderated by  bakasi, Toomi8 

Link Copied to Clipboard