Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
#175244 09/30/03 11:06 AM
Julie S Offline OP
Top Banana
OP Offline
Top Banana
Why did Clark have glasses before Superman was ever created? I think there is an explanation somewhere in TUFS, but I'm not about to go reread that huge piece (even though its good). If anyone remembers that or the non-fanfic explanation if there is one can you tell me? I'm killing myself here.

Mulder: Imagine if you could come back and take out five people who had caused you to suffer. Who would they be?
Scully: I only get five?
Mulder: I remembered your birthday this year, didn't I, Scully?

(The X-Files)
#175245 09/30/03 02:02 PM
Pulitzer
Pulitzer
One of the given explainations is that it was a slip up, maybe having to do with the fact that Dean Cain himself wears glasses.

Another theory is that the glasses help him control his vision powers. This theory is supported by the fact that he always pulls his glasses down when he uses heat or xray vision.

This help you any?

~•~
#175246 09/30/03 04:17 PM
Julie S Offline OP
Top Banana
OP Offline
Top Banana
Yyeah, that kind of explains it. But I am still curious about the one they gave in TUFS, I can't remember what that was...

Mulder: Imagine if you could come back and take out five people who had caused you to suffer. Who would they be?
Scully: I only get five?
Mulder: I remembered your birthday this year, didn't I, Scully?

(The X-Files)
#175247 09/30/03 04:47 PM
Merriwether
Merriwether
Actually, Dean Cain only started wearing glasses recently, so that theory wouldn't apply. smile

There was never any explanation given in the show, so fanfic explanations are all we have. There have been a number of stories which address this, but most authors seem to go with the route that he began wearing glasses at some point during his childhood as a reminder not to use his heat/xray vision (or to prevent him from accidentally doing so). Some people have also suggested that wearing them also made him look more like his parents, which may have been important to him as a child, especially once he started questioning his orgins. He may also have started wearing them as something of a disguise, even before becoming Superman. For example, we know that he often helped people secretly before coming to Metropolis. This is why he had to move around so much, because people would get suspicious.

As for it being a "slip up", however, I don't buy that ... to me, that's like saying someone is "out of character" in the pilot episode. How can someone be out of character when the early episodes define the character? The show's creators wanted Clark to have started wearing glasses before his arrival, and so he did so. It can't be a "slip up", whether they explained it on the show or not. It's just a given.

Kathy

#175248 09/30/03 06:43 PM
Pulitzer
Pulitzer
another explanation is that they make him feel more "human." i know a few stories (in the comics, mostly) have used the glasses as a symbol of his more human side, as opposed to the larger-than-life superhero.

one more likely possibility is that glasses are a sign of imperfection. it might help clark to feel more like he's fitting in, rather than having people look at him funny for being too athletic, seeing too clearly, etc etc.

i think that, combined with the idea that the glasses help remind him to keep his powers under control, is the best explanation.

Paul

When in doubt, think about penguins. It probably won't help, but at least it'll be fun.

Moderated by  bakasi, Toomi8 

Link Copied to Clipboard