Page 1 of 2 1 2
#174940 08/06/03 12:58 AM
A
Anonymous
Unregistered
Anonymous
Unregistered
A
well, I'm not sure this doesn't belong to the 'Off Topic' section, but I found this link a while ago, and I thought it was funny that a travel agency was named after one of Superman-verse characters.

Carole smile1

#174941 08/06/03 02:25 AM
Columnist
Columnist
In Richmond, BC (part of the greater Vancouver area), there is a bowling alley called Lois Lanes. I used to snicker every time I took the bus past it...

In Burnaby, BC (also part of the greater Vancouver area), there is a shopping mall/entertainment centre called Metropolis. When some of my area FoLC friends used to get together, sometimes we would arrange to meet in Metropolis - it was just so fitting smile

Melisma (under her Rock, wondering how many other SuperUniverse place names the FoLCs can come up with - a challenge maybe? laugh )

Do, or do not. There is no try.
- Yoda
#174942 08/06/03 02:37 AM
A
Anonymous
Unregistered
Anonymous
Unregistered
A
Wow!

I always wanted to go to Canada, now that's definitely a motivation.

In Burnaby, BC (also part of the greater Vancouver area), there is a shopping mall/entertainment centre called Metropolis.
We have a dance and night club called Metropolis here. And the funniest of all? It's near the airport smile1

PS:
wondering how many other SuperUniverse place names the FoLCs can come up with - a challenge maybe? )
Challenge? I love challenge! But, how about a listing first? <jk, well...>

#174943 08/06/03 03:05 AM
Merriwether
Merriwether
Well, a friend of my mom-in-law's lives off of Lois Ln, if that helps. laugh Makes you wonder how many of those there are in the US.

"You need me. You wouldn't be much of a hero without a villain. And you do love being the hero, don't you. The cheering children, the swooning women, you love it so much, it's made you my most reliable accomplice." -- Lex Luthor to Superman, Question Authority, Justice League Unlimited
#174944 08/06/03 06:03 AM
Nan Offline
Kerth
Kerth
Before we moved to Ramona, we lived in Suisun City, and only a short distance from us there was a street called (you guessed it) Lois Lane. I guess the developers couldn't resist.

Nan

Earth is the insane asylum for the universe.
#174945 08/06/03 09:40 AM
A
Pulitzer
Pulitzer
A
Using the name 'Lois Lane' is kinda weird, I think...

Here in Greece, though, there is a big... (is 'chain' the word used in English?), of CD stores named 'Metropolis'.

laugh laugh

AnnaBtG.

P.S.: We've found enough Lois Lanes. Where are Clark Kents?

What we've got here is failure to communicate...
#174946 08/06/03 10:35 AM
Merriwether
Merriwether
There's a Clark St. a few blocks away from me -- will that do? wink

Do you know the most surprising thing about divorce? It doesn't actually kill you, like a bullet to the heart or a head-on car wreck. It should. When someone you've promised to cherish till death do you part says, "I never loved you," it should kill you instantly.

- Under the Tuscan Sun
#174947 08/06/03 11:10 AM
neo Offline
Blogger
Blogger
Hey everyone,

Well, my ex-boyfriend's license plate was ... CJK 91. When I first saw it, I was like oh my god !!!
Cyad, do you live near Orly? How do you now the metropolis club? I went one, and found the music horrible... I'm not a night clubber.

Lucie

#174948 08/06/03 11:13 AM
A
Pulitzer
Pulitzer
A
CJK 91
rotflol rotflol rotflol rotflol rotflol rotflol rotflol Unbelievable!!

AnnaBtG.

#174949 08/06/03 12:06 PM
Hack from Nowheresville
Hack from Nowheresville
In Upper Arlington, Ohio (just a mile or so west of Ohio State University) Lane Avenue & Kent Road intersect. Here's a map from Mapquest. .

Does anyone think it would be neat to start a webpage that FoLC's could send in pictures of various landmarks, such as pictures of street signs that coincidentally are related to the show? jump

#174950 08/06/03 03:10 PM
Hack from Nowheresville
Hack from Nowheresville
I think that would be a great idea... Unfortunately I don't know of any places off the top of my head that remind me of Lois & Clark and don't live by any Lois Lanes or anything like that grumble ...

*Blayne*

Clark: You are really high maintenance, you know it?
Lois: But I'm worth it.

Clark: Not exactly what you had in mind, huh?
Lois: Let's see. So far I've been given a glimpse of ritual crop worship, been treated as your girlfriend, and insulted your parents. No, I couldn't have planned this.
#174951 08/06/03 08:25 PM
A
Anonymous
Unregistered
Anonymous
Unregistered
A
LOL Nan! I guess they didn't resist.

Anna, maybe your Metropolis is more linked to the greek signification of it?

There's a Clark St. a few blocks away from me -- will that do?
Sure it will wink

Lucie, CJK 91...Wow+OMG+LOL smile1

#174952 08/06/03 09:17 PM
neo Offline
Blogger
Blogger
Hey

Anna said :" Unbelievable!! "

Well believe it Anna, but he was no Clark Jerôme Kent, that's for sure....

And Cyad, I live at 20/25 kms of Orly's aiport. Do I'm not far. CDG is at the opposite.

Bye
Lucie

#174953 08/06/03 09:34 PM
A
Anonymous
Unregistered
Anonymous
Unregistered
A
Now that I think about it, there's a 'Ken Lane' pavement decoration rue de Castiglione, under the arcades leading to the Place Vendôme.

And Cyad, I live at 20/25 kms of Orly's aiport. Do I'm not far. CDG is at the opposite.
Not far indeed. I know CDG is the opposite, but closer was a matter of speach, by car it's something like 20 minutes by the periph' (that is, when it's not stuck with traffic jams!). But I guess my mother lives closer to you. She's not far from Porte de Vincennes.

Bye,

Carole

#174954 08/07/03 03:41 AM
Blogger
Blogger
Where are Clark Kents?
Well, the name of my town is Clarks Summit. And then there's a club not too far away called "Metropolis Cafe" laugh

Oh, and don't forget Kent State University (Ohio) or Clark University (I don't remember where that is at the moment)!

Fun topic! wink
~Amanda

Lois: Our byline is gonna look great on a Pulitzer someday
#174955 08/07/03 05:05 AM
A
Anonymous
Unregistered
Anonymous
Unregistered
A
Fun topic!
Glad you like it smile .

Karen said:

Makes you wonder how many of those there are in the US.
Me wonders too. Infos anyone? wink

Now I have this nagging question following IsisLNC proposition. Does such a listing site actually exist?

Carole

PS: I know there's a Jimmy Hotel in Amsterdam , not to mention a song entitled 'Jimmy Olsen Blues' <g>.

#174956 08/07/03 05:19 AM
A
Beat Reporter
Beat Reporter
A
Originally posted by Cyad:
or even Maysons then?
My hubby is a mason... goofy

Anne >^,,^<

"I only know how to make four things, and this is the only one without chocolate." Lois Lane "All My I've Got a Crush on You 10/24/1993
#174957 08/07/03 10:36 AM
A
Pulitzer
Pulitzer
A
Anna, maybe your Metropolis is more linked to the greek signification of it?
It probably is, but where did Superman's Metropolis came from in the first place? wink

IsisLNC, grat idea! Maybe we could create one.

not to mention a song entitled 'Jimmy Olsen Blues' <g>.
In BanAnna's signature there were once the lyrics from a song named 'Superman (It's not easy)' by Five For Fighting, which you can find in the Dawson's Creek OST Vol. 2. I've downloaded the song, and it's cool.

AnnaBtG.

#174958 08/07/03 12:49 PM
Merriwether
Merriwether
A metropolis is simply a large city.

Do you know the most surprising thing about divorce? It doesn't actually kill you, like a bullet to the heart or a head-on car wreck. It should. When someone you've promised to cherish till death do you part says, "I never loved you," it should kill you instantly.

- Under the Tuscan Sun
#174959 08/08/03 02:09 AM
A
Anonymous
Unregistered
Anonymous
Unregistered
A
In BanAnna's signature there were once the lyrics from a song named 'Superman (It's not easy)' by Five For Fighting, which you can find in the Dawson's Creek OST Vol. 2. I've downloaded the song, and it's cool.
Oh, I totally like this song!

It probably is, but where did Superman's Metropolis came from in the first place?
Okay, I have to confess my total lack of Superman's verse knowledge here. But for me, and as Rivka pointed it, a Metropolis is a really, really big with a tremendous number of outskirts city.

My hubby is a mason...
smile1

#174960 08/08/03 03:41 AM
Beat Reporter
Beat Reporter
There is a Kent Lane in Cedar Park, Texas, and also a Clark county in Texas.

Missy (who wonders if all those evil-lovers like El and Sas and Tank have Lexus printers <g>)

#174961 08/08/03 04:18 AM
A
Anonymous
Unregistered
Anonymous
Unregistered
A
(who wonders if all those evil-lovers like El and Sas and Tank have Lexus printers <g>)
LOL Missy!

Carole smile1 (who wonders the same about the car model of all the trio members mentionned above <eg...of course goofy >)

#174962 08/08/03 06:23 AM
A
Beat Reporter
Beat Reporter
A
Originally posted by MissyG:
Missy (who wonders if all those evil-lovers like El and Sas and Tank have Lexus printers <g>)
That just reminded me...my printer at home uses Lexmark ink. It's hard to find (so far only at Staples), there's no cheaper storebrand version and it's really expensive. Hmmm...

Anne >^,,^<

"I only know how to make four things, and this is the only one without chocolate." Lois Lane "All My I've Got a Crush on You 10/24/1993
#174963 08/08/03 09:34 AM
A
Pulitzer
Pulitzer
A
A metropolis is simply a large city.
Actually, the word metropolis means 'mother of a city'. It comes from the ancient years, when the people used to leave their homecities to create colonies. The homecity of the people of the colony was the colony's 'Metropolis'.

So, Metropolis's were actually big cities, and I believe that's where the name 'Metropolis' came from.

Just a bit of info here,
AnnaBtG. (who has a Lexmark X63 printer smile )

#174964 08/10/03 07:03 AM
Columnist
Columnist
Oh yeah... forgot... When I was working at Revenue Canada some years back, one of my team-mates was named Clark. He was sort of a mentor to us newbie tax collectors - I got a sort of perverse pleasure out of hollering "Help, Clark!" whenever I needed advice or other assistance with my job...

Melisma (under her Rock, wondering *how* she forgot!)

- Yoda
#174965 08/10/03 09:30 AM
A
Pulitzer
Pulitzer
A
I got a sort of perverse pleasure out of hollering "Help, Clark!" whenever I needed advice or other assistance with my job...
No wonder why wink Was he cute too? laugh

AnnaBtG.

#174966 08/11/03 12:39 AM
A
Anonymous
Unregistered
Anonymous
Unregistered
A
...was he wearing spandex too? smile1

PS:
It probably is, but where did Superman's Metropolis came from in the first place?
Well, I just thought of something. Metropolis can be the total opposite of Smallville (small city, small town opposed to an oversized city). In that way, Metropolis is a City Superman can measure his powers up to when challenges, crimes and rescue are concerned. A city where he can face his possibilities and limits...along with finding who he really his and eventually truly be himself, and not a careful-not-to-show-your-powers-to-the-world son of a Kansas farmer (Just my 2 cents).

#174967 08/11/03 09:23 AM
A
Pulitzer
Pulitzer
A
Just what I thought when I was posting the info for Metropolis... although, if they were looking for the exact opposite in Greek, they should have used Megalopolis!! Although such a city already exists smile

I think that they wanted not only to show how big Metropolis is, but also how important. It 'controls' in a way the smaller cities like Smallville, like Metropolis's use to 'control' the colonies.

Two more cents from me,
AnnaBtG.

#174968 08/12/03 09:43 AM
Freelance Reporter
Freelance Reporter
or Clark University (I don't remember where that is at the moment)!
It's in Atlanta. A friend of mine graduated from there last year. It's in a quad type deal with two HBC colleges, Spellman and Morehouse. There's one more, but I can't remember what it is either.

Samik

"I don't like people to talk for no reason, but I really love dialogue between people who aren't listening to each other." --Raymond Carter
#174969 08/12/03 10:57 AM
Merriwether
Merriwether
Well, unless there's a few different Clark Universities. http://www.clarku.edu is in Massachusettes.
Clark University is a teaching and research institution founded in 1887. Clark is the oldest graduate institution in the United States. Clark is one of only three New England universities, with Harvard and Yale, to be a founding member of the prestigious Association of American Universities.
http://www.clark.edu is Clark College in Vancouver, Washington.

There is a Clark Atlanta University, though. http://www.cau.edu/ It's with Spelman, Morehouse, and Morris Brown Colleges, according to the campus map.

"You need me. You wouldn't be much of a hero without a villain. And you do love being the hero, don't you. The cheering children, the swooning women, you love it so much, it's made you my most reliable accomplice." -- Lex Luthor to Superman, Question Authority, Justice League Unlimited
#174970 08/12/03 01:56 PM
Columnist
Columnist
Was he cute too? laugh

AnnaBtG.
Extremely. But unfortunately he was married - and no, I never asked him if his wife's name was Lois. And Cyad, no he never wore spandex. Actually he didn't look like any of the Clark *Kent*'s that I'm used to, but it was just his *name* that was the turn-on, ya know? smile

Melisma (shutting up now, here under her Rock)

- Yoda
#174971 08/21/03 10:55 AM
K
Boards Chief Administrator
Pulitzer
Pulitzer
K
I had to add to this one. Every time I drive from Tucson to Phoenix or further north, I giggle everytime I pass a sign for Jerome-Clarkdale. My friend's sick of that. laugh Last year when I went to Laughlin, I was sure I was going to win because I discovered I was in Clark County. I didn't. smile1

Sara (who included Dean Quain in her \'Crazy FoLC\' fanfic series. He emailed me after googling himself. blush Oops!

Kerth nominations are opening on March 3!
🏆2024 Kerth Award Posts 🏆.

Join us on the #loisclark Discord server! We talk about fanfic, the show, life, and more!

You can also find me on Tumblr and AO3.

#174972 08/21/03 11:21 AM
A
Pulitzer
Pulitzer
A
dizzy eek cool laugh huh :rolleyes: smile on Sara's post.

AnnaBtG.

#174973 08/27/03 03:58 AM
A
Beat Reporter
Beat Reporter
A
I work in customer service and a large part of my job is taking orders over the phone. Yesterday, someone called and the order was sent to the attention of Jim Olson. eek I kid you not!!!

Anne >^,,^<

#174974 08/30/03 10:23 AM
A
Pulitzer
Pulitzer
A
I saw a tv advertisement about a brand of schoolbags: Lois.

It instantly reminded me that my best friend has a schoolbag of this brand... My first reaction when I saw it? "Oh, the memories this schoolbag brings me..."

And the memories it still does... back then L&C was still being aired in Greek television...

AnnaBtG.

#174975 08/30/03 12:03 PM
K
Pulitzer
Pulitzer
K
Oooh! I forgot the one that still gives me the giggles.

I work in the dining room at a resort in which the kitchen is seperate into two parts, the relavant ones here: line 1 and line 2, where most of the food comes out. Well there is always one cook per line. And we'll say "Jen and Daniel" are working the line. Why is this funny? Well...One of the cooks is named Laine and another....Kent. Those are their first names. No joke. I always laugh when "Laine and Kent" are working the line.
razz )

Join us on the #loisclark Discord server! We talk about fanfic, the show, life, and more!

#174976 08/30/03 02:26 PM
Hack from Nowheresville
Hack from Nowheresville
Well it's not easy to see things like that here in Brazil and so I never really looked for them. However one day I was going home when I actually saw a Bus station called Rafael Clark and then I totally freaked out! I couldn't believe that I actually saw something named like that here and so close to my home and that I hadn't noticed before. I started pointing it to my mom and saying: Look at that mom! There's actually something named Clark here! She just rolled her eyes at me and said: Raquel, you really need to see a doctor laugh

Raquel (who wonders what her mom would say if she wanted to take a picture there laugh )

"It's not the years that count, it's the moments, right now as they happen." (Clark Kent to Lois Lane - Brutal Youth - S4)
#174977 08/30/03 04:19 PM
Blogger
Blogger
There's a Kent St. the Sydney city. I also stumbled across a Kent Shopping centre (or store, I can't remember exactly) close to where I live.

#174978 08/31/03 03:51 PM
B
Blogger
Blogger
B
Just to add my two cents...

I go to Kent State University (which I think was already mentioned). Also, I live a little bit down the street from a road named 'Lana Lane.'

Additionally, when I used to volunteer at the local hospital, I worked at one of the receptionist's desk. One day we had a "Teri Hatcher" come in. It was spelled the exact same.

Also, at Kent State, there's a dorm named...you guessed it...Clark Hall. Unfortunately, I'm a commuter student, or else you know where I'd put my housing app wink

Becki [Linked Image]

#174979 09/01/03 01:12 PM
K
Pulitzer
Pulitzer
K
Also, at Kent State, there's a dorm named...you guessed it...Clark Hall. Unfortunately, I'm a commuter student, or else you know where I'd put my housing app
laugh Becki. I guess they would have to do that! Are there Martha and Jonathan Halls too? wink

Sara (who drives by Kent's Tools on the way to class on Tuesdays)

Page 1 of 2 1 2

Moderated by  bakasi, Toomi8 

Link Copied to Clipboard