Lois & Clark Fanfic Message Boards
Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Page 2 of 5 1 2 3 4 5
Columnist
Columnist
Yea, LabRat your right. I never could understand why buying that brownstone seemed like a good idea to Clark other than the hidden compartment. Even that seemed kind of stupid to me it is in the living room for crying out loud. What if he needs to get a clean suit and his in-laws or friends are there. And your right about people seeing him coming or going. From front or back there are bound to be windows overlooking all the doors and windows. There is just no way for him not to be seen.

Another thing with that secret compartment in the living room. Unless they kept the drapes closed you can't be sure that someone didn't see it being opened, even with sheers at the window. If it is dark out and lights are on in the house it is easy to see what is going on. Plus believe me people are noisy as hell. I live in a resort town so the lots are tiny. I keep my drapes facing the street closed because people walking by would stare in as they went by - even with you sitting there where you could see each other. So no way did people not see Superman flying in and out of the brownstone at all hours of the day and night. And I do mean all hours. wink wink :rolleyes:

D
Beat Reporter
Beat Reporter
D
Two words: Wedding Destroyer.

Sheesh.

But then again I found most of season 4 to be like toffee to a diabetic - way too sweet. goofy

'I just kind of died for you;
You just kind of stared at me'
- Aurora, Foo Fighters
Pulitzer
Online Content
Pulitzer
I don't know if this counts, but there was one scene (I think it was in the Pilot?) that I could never understand. When we first saw Lex Luthor, why were those Japanese ladies handing him a pogo-stick??? dizzy
As if it was an important item, no less!

~•~
Columnist
Columnist
I've started rewatching them all from the beginning. What I've found is despite the fact that I love the show in almost every episode I find myself wondering what the heck. Examples:

1. Green Green Glow of Home - Clark is chained in the back of the van. He tests no powers. Then it seems like a few second or minutes later and he is back to full strength. Bust the chains, kicks the doors off.

Now if that isn't bad enough. Trask signals the guy off - the driver. To take the van away. He knew Clark Kent was in the back. So how come the world doesn't wind up knowing that he is Superman. I'm sure someone would have bought the story.

2. Smart Kids - Which actually showed before Green Green Glow of Home. The kids figure out he is Superman. He sort of tries to unconvince them. But at the end in chalk they right Clark Kent=Superman maybe? I can't imagine that one of those kids didn't tell someone. So again how come the world doesn't know he is Superman.

Columnist
Columnist
Another one that drives me crazy. In Man Of Steel Bars the heat wave is caused by the heated aquifer water. Now correct me if I'm wrong but that would heat the ground above it which would make the ground hot. Then the heat from the ground would radiate upward into the air making the air closer to the ground warmeer than normal. There is no way they would be having summer weather. It would make it warmer on ground level but the higher up the colder. So like Lex's penthouse would be winter cold.

This being so why did it take the entire show to figure out what was going on it should have been obvious from the start to look below ground.

I love the show and I like this episode but the premise was just really to far out there.

Hack from Nowheresville
Hack from Nowheresville
Well, it wasn't just heated water but a radiation "leak". That could explain the temperature but not why people are still alive, I suppose. laugh

I can remember when there was the Chernobyl disaster, I was way out in the country side (not even in Russia) and I ended up with sun burns.

*scratches head*

It was believable to me though, since they didn't really explain the circumstances of the "problem". I guess there could be instances where it could be done.

K
Boards Chief Administrator
Pulitzer
Boards Chief Administrator
Pulitzer
K
Okay, Julie brought up the episode Chip Off The Old Clark tonight in IRC and it reminded me of the thing that gets me the most mad . In fact, had I the time, I'd write a plot un-twist (unless someone already did it... come to think of it, I think *I* did that, but I don't remember if I ever finished it laugh ).

Anyway...

Why the HECK does Clark not just tell Lois that he's a virgin when the whole question comes up?!?!

"Lois, there's something I have to tell you... there's no possible way that he can be my son because I'm a virgin."

Grrr!! Okay, I have to stop thinking about this episode because it's getting me all mad. razz

Sara

Kerth nominations are opening on March 3!
🏆2024 Kerth Award Posts 🏆.

Join us on the #loisclark Discord server! We talk about fanfic, the show, life, and more!

You can also find me on Tumblr and AO3.

Hack from Nowheresville
Hack from Nowheresville
Sara wrote:

Why the HECK does Clark not just tell Lois that he's a virgin when the whole question comes up?!?!

"Lois, there's something I have to tell you... there's no possible way that he can be my son because I'm a virgin."

Hehe. Well the way I see it, A) he was nervous about bringing up that subject, really nervous, and he didn't feel actually comfortable until Virtually Destroyed. (Yeah this is a weak argument.) And B) Lois didn't believe, at first, Clark's assertion that he didn't have a kid. (THAT bugs me... but yeah okay, it helped Lois deal with her issues about trust, yada yada.) If Lois wasn't going to believe Clark about THAT, despite all they'd been through together, how much she loved him, etc., I don't think him blurting out THEN that he's a virgin would have made her go "Oh, well then, in THAT case, I believe you!"

It just, to me, didn't seem like the best time to be bringing up that issue.

And hey, Lois very well could have gone, "You? Ha! Give me a break."

I think it was good of him to wait for the dust to settle before sending another shock her way. smile

Molly
Hack from Nowheresville
Hack from Nowheresville
Oh, and I have one to add that I thought of today.

In Tempus Fugitive, HG Wells tells L&C that he's going to drop them back before he ever showed up so that they'll remember nothing and "none of this will have ever happened."

But obviously it DID happen, because Tempus WAS sent to 1866 afterwards and wrote the diary. Plus, in Tempus Anyone?, HG Wells helped Lois remember the events of TF. PLUS, Lois wrote "Clark is Superman" on the envelope and THAT was still there when they were sent back. So yes, it really did happen.

So what'd HG Wells do, hit them both over the head and give them temporary amnesia before he dropped them back in 1995?

I don't get it. confused

Molly
A
Beat Reporter
Beat Reporter
A
My personal favorite was during Individual Responsibility when Bill Church Jr. wiped his harddrives and said, "There, now there won't be anything that points to Intergang when police get here." Except for the fact that it says INTERGANG in big capital letters on the wall behind him somewhere.

At least I think that's how I remember it :p Also I happen to know that deleting files like that does *nothing* that can't be undone =p

Grant me the serenity to accept the things I cannot change,
The courage to change the things I can,
And the wisdom to know the difference.
Columnist
Columnist
Your right about the hard drive plus the bigger the drive the longer it takes. You have to do a
scrub several times to make sure that nothing can be retrieved and it takes special programs. I did it on a computer that didn't have a very big hard drive - like 2 gig (maybe 10 but no bigger) and to scrub it several times took a couple of hours. So there is no way that the information on Bill Churches hard drive couldn't be recovered.

A
Beat Reporter
Beat Reporter
A
Hehe, I was wiping drives today. Took about 4 hours to write a 10 gig drive over with 0s just the one time, no repetition. I had to leave the 40 and the 120 running overnight.

Pretty much any show or movie that does things with computers does it badly that I've seen so far... But it's all good entertainment at least =p

Grant me the serenity to accept the things I cannot change,
The courage to change the things I can,
And the wisdom to know the difference.
Boards Chief Administrator Emeritus
Nobel Peace Prize Winner
Boards Chief Administrator Emeritus
Nobel Peace Prize Winner
Possible answer to this one - don't forget that Metropolis was always shown as being slightly ahead of here in the real world when it came to technology. Particularly, often, when it came to computers.

Perhaps their computers work just a little faster and more successfully than ours do. goofy

LabRat smile

Athos: If you'd told us what you were doing, we might have been able to plan this properly.
Aramis: Yes, sorry.
Athos: No, no, by all means, let's keep things suicidal.

The Musketeers
Beat Reporter
Beat Reporter
Last Saturday I was bored (not used to spending Saturday night at home anymore goofy ) and I ended up watching some eps (it'd been ages since I'd done it). So, I started with WWW, and the ATAI and WHALTTA followed. There were a couple things that made me go... what?? (leaving aside some not-so-good dialogues at some points). Though I'm not sure it's so much because they were a little out there... It was more that I found them a little out of character. For example, Lois's change of mood at the beginning of WHALTTA. Once Clark is talking to her but as Superman, it seems like the tables simply turned. He becomes the ofended one and she starts almost apologizing, and so again the following morning at the Planet.

Then, a little later, when they go see Bill Church Sr., Clark says he needed to know she'd marry him before telling her he was Superman... But he'd almost told her his secret, on three different occasions (at the end of WWW it certainly seems to be his intention, and twice in ATAI)

Not sure that's the kind of thing you guys are bringing up in this thread, but...

Cris

Cris
G
Columnist
Columnist
G
It always bothered me that the beginning of ATAI, Clark was preparing and practising to tell Lois that he was Superman. He was interrupted by Jason Mazik's phone call. What bothers me is that Lois doesn't appear to remember that, and in many ways it is pivotal since Clark was going to tell Lois he was Superman...and it seemed that interrupted revelation happened not long after (perhaps the next morning) she had decided to say the scary words.

As far as this is concerned:
For example, Lois's change of mood at the beginning of WHALTTA. Once Clark is talking to her but as Superman, it seems like the tables simply turned. He becomes the ofended one and she starts almost apologizing, and so again the following morning at the Planet.
I've always interpreted it differently. When she is talking to Superman she was dealing with business first, so when the discussion turned more personal, it was easier for her. She told him that she needed time. She wasn't saying "No." she was saying "Not yet". So she knew that she needed some time to work through that he was Superman, and more importantly, that he hadn't told her. (Perhaps, when she got home that night and thought the whole thing through she'd remember the morning when he almost told her, "Lois, I'm super...". Even if she didn't, she would have time to think which makes her attitude the following morning make sense.

Clark, on the other hand, was being naive and human--a lunkhead. He proposed to Lois before she knew the truth and he hoped that she would marry him. He never thought about the ramifications if she found out, without him telling her, that he was Superman. Because at that moment he believed there was no difference between himself and Superman (I think if you asked him that at another point in time, he'd say there was a difference between Clark Kent and Superman). Anyway, he was hurt when Lois rejected his proposal. He heard "No", not "Not yet". And because he's human, he was petulant.

I think they both were in character there. (And the writers had to draw out the developing relationship.)

That's my take on these scenes.
gerry

Beat Reporter
Beat Reporter
I guess you have a point, Gerry, though I still would have expected an angrier reaction from Lois (maybe I've read to many fics laugh ). I've always felt the writers made the relationship move way too fast at that stage (from ATI on), but your explanation makes sense.

Cris
Beat Reporter
Beat Reporter
Are we allowed to say why mentioned scenes don't make us go ... WHAT?
I still would have expected an angrier reaction from Lois (maybe I've read to many fics).
You're probably right--too many fics. goofy (/me ducks) Seriously, in the show, Lois showed herself remarkably forgiving of Clark, so her reaction in WHALTTA is in character. In NeverEnding Battle, remember how she came to the Planet after Clark sent her on that wild Godzilla chase? She accepted that he had a reason for behaving as he did, even though they weren't friends at that time.

In Tempus Fugitive, she got mad after Tempus revealed Clark's secret in the most humiliating way possible (in the future, everyone wants to know "how dumb was she?"). But she understood why Clark had deceived her and forgave him even before they saw the results of Tempus's meddling (when he started fading).

The longest she stayed angry at Clark was when he broke up with her "for her own good" and left without even giving her a chance to discuss his decision. I always figured she was using her anger as a way to keep him at a distance while she was trying to figure out if she really could live with a man who made life-changing decisions for both of them without listening to her point of view.

Other than that, Lois continually showed herself to be very forgiving of Clark. She exploded easily, but she didn't hang on to her anger--not with him. Because of that, her behavior in WHALTTA seemed very in character to me.

Sheila Harper
Hopeless fan of a timeless love story

http://www.sheilaharper.com/
M
Hack from Nowheresville
Hack from Nowheresville
M
OMG, I so fully agree about the brownstone being a terrible place for Superman to "hide." And the photographer (though, I guess with the faked pics, people would be to embarassed on having turned on a man who repeatedly saves the world to openly admit that the Lois/Superman relationship is a little sketchy...especially after the Chip Off the Old Clark fiasco).

My What the crap moments:
When Ultrawoman stops the truck dressed as Lois: 1) How does Clark change so fast? 2) How does he get the truck he couldn't even see so fast? 3) How does Lois explain why the truck carried her forward?

Why aren't more villains after Superman's powers when the Newtrich sisters prove they can be taken?

Why doesn't anyone notice Clark flying Lois to their actual wedding?

Why does the Kryptonite bullet Lois removes from Clark's shoulder heal so quickly?

How in God's name does Lex come nack after taking a swan dive off the top of the Tower?

How come no one notices the many late night visits Superman makes to Lois's apartment?

Why does Clark make faces when Martha grabs his ear in Season's Greedings? We know it doesn't hurt...

How come the writers make Lois like Jonathan's Metropolis chinese take out better than Clark's actual Chinese takeout?

How does Clark have different currencies always available to buy Lois snacks from other countries?

Where DO his clothes go when he wears the suit? (The hyperspace answer is the only one I can deal with on this one)

How can HG Wells return LnC to before he got them without any reprecussions? Wouldn't they reun into themselves?

If the whole point was that Perry would blow up if he got off of the chair, how did Clark push him off of it and prevente debris from hitting him?

Ellen was happy when she finally figured out Clark's secret. We don't see any reaction time that would indicate that the reprecussions of his being Superman would upset her, so why is that memory wiped away with the Bummer Begone? And what does everyone think happened in those moments that they've forgotten? Aren't they considered about these lapses in memory?

And why, why in god's name, does plastering Lois and Clark's pic all over Metropolis make any sense when they need to go undercover so much?!

Beat Reporter
Beat Reporter
"But I've given this a lot of thought," "and I realize instead of dancing around my feelings for you, I have to meet them head on and verbalize my emotions."

I cringe every time I hear this dialogue. :rolleyes:

My greatest pet peeve is WHALTTA.

Ok, I get that Clark want to be sure that Lois loves him for himself. But she has shown that she is interested in him romantically. So you would think it would be a good idea to tell her what she is buying into. By asking her to marry him without knowing him, he shows appalling disregard for her feelings.
I can only interpret it as a test. Lois must show that she is truly serious about him. But what is his plan afterwards? He can't possible hold her to her presumed Yes when it turns out she doesn't know who he is, that he has deceived her for years?

If you start by humiliating your intended and showing so little trust you really deserve to be smacked around silly.
But not only does Clark lack any contrition he gets HUFFY when Lois asks for some time to reconcile his dual identity. WTF is wrong with him?
It's so out of character and so unbelievable that it is almost funny. I don't think have read a fanfic that has handled the subject worse.

Also the revelation and its consequences is a major story arch with a immense payoff. But it's virtually ignored for some reason.

Now if they had milked that for five episodes instead of Clois and her amnesia.

I do know you, and I know you wouldn't lie... at least to me...most of the time...
Beat Reporter
Beat Reporter
Another thing areall those people who threatens Superman. Luthor running around with smirk, implicitly trusting that Superman's ethics will keep him alive and scheming.
You would think someone with the powers of a God would be treated with some wariness. Especially if you go out of your way to piss him of.

Take his parents hostage asking him to kill other people.. hmm if he is willing to do that why wouldn't he kill you?

In the Dillinger episode we see that Clark is no stranger to interrogation under extreme duress. Yet when his parents or girlfriend's lives are at stake he submits meekly to all demands.

And then we have Luthor, the criminal at large, that are allowed to run away with Lois without being detained. You would think with all mind altering methods Clark has encountered he would take Lois to a hospital at least.

I do know you, and I know you wouldn't lie... at least to me...most of the time...
Page 2 of 5 1 2 3 4 5

Moderated by  bakasi, Toomi8 

Link Copied to Clipboard