Lois & Clark Fanfic Message Boards
Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Page 4 of 6 1 2 3 4 5 6
Hack from Nowheresville
Hack from Nowheresville
Ken, if you get a big overwhelmed with requests for anthology files, I can pitch in and help. I've actually been making fanfic series into anthologies for my own reading anyway, so my Kindle isn't too difficult to navigate. blush

My software can also convert things into epub and a few other formats. Just let me know if I can help!

Pulitzer
Pulitzer
I have no problem with writing a check either. Have been royally burned by PenPal!

Ken, feel free to use one of my stories for the fundraiser! thumbsup

Morgana

A writer's job is to think of new plots and create characters who stay with you long after the final page has been read. If that mission is accomplished than we have done what we set out to do, which is to entertain and hopefully educate.
Merriwether
Merriwether
Just to keep you all posted, we have set up a PayPal account for the boards, and are now finalizing the details on how to send physical checks. So both options will be available. smile

Stay tuned for an announcement (probably in a new thread) with all the details on how to donate. smile

Thanks for all your enthusiasm! It's really wonderful to see how our fandom pulls together even after all these years. thumbsup

Kathy

Kerth
Kerth
Speaking as a European, I'd rather just donate a fixed amount of money than buy anything to support our boards. Why, you ask? Because shipping is expensive. And I'd rather donate 20 bucks to the site than donate 10 $ (by buying some shirt) and pay 30 for doing so.

However... if shipping cost can be reduced to a minimum, I'd be willing to contribute in a way I feel comfortable with. Remember the S-shield friendship bracelet? Hint: it looked like this:
[Linked Image]
I could do some shorter versions as keychain pendants if we actually do this auction thing.

The only known quantity that moves faster than
light is the office grapevine. (from Nan's fabulous Home series)
LabRat Offline OP
Boards Chief Administrator Emeritus
Nobel Peace Prize Winner
OP Offline
Boards Chief Administrator Emeritus
Nobel Peace Prize Winner
Can't imagine it'll be required, but you absolutely have permission to use my stories, Ken. Thanks for donating your time to help us out. sloppy

LabRat smile

Athos: If you'd told us what you were doing, we might have been able to plan this properly.
Aramis: Yes, sorry.
Athos: No, no, by all means, let's keep things suicidal.

The Musketeers
Nobel Peace Prize Winner
Nobel Peace Prize Winner
Originally posted by Lara Joelle Kent:
Speaking as a European, I'd rather just donate a fixed amount of money than buy anything to support our boards. Why, you ask? Because shipping is expensive. And I'd rather donate 20 bucks to the site than donate 10 $ (by buying some shirt) and pay 30 for doing so.

However... if shipping cost can be reduced to a minimum, I'd be willing to contribute in a way I feel comfortable with. Remember the S-shield friendship bracelet? Hint: it looked like this:
[Linked Image]
I could do some shorter versions as keychain pendants if we actually do this auction thing.
Those are awesome! I would be tempted to buy one. Or two. Or...<shrugs>

Actually...something that light could probably just be sent in a normal envelope, reducing the cost, I would imagine.

Battle On,
Deadly Chakram

"Being with you is stronger than me alone." ~ Clark Kent

"One little spark of inspiration is at the heart of all creation." ~ Figment the Dragon

Kerth
Kerth
Yes, that would help immensely with reducing the cost. Although I still wouldn't want to send too many envelopes...

However, what you see in the pic is not the keychain pendant, but the full bracelet. The keychain would have only one of these S-shields and a little bit of blue around.

The only known quantity that moves faster than
light is the office grapevine. (from Nan's fabulous Home series)
K
Boards Chief Administrator
Pulitzer
Pulitzer
K
Hey, guys!

Regarding the physical payment option, please go take the poll if you'd like to have this option! I'm trying to decide if it's worth spending money on a P.O. Box or not. If it's only a handful of ya, then I feel a bit more comfortable about handing out my address via PM. wink

Thanks!

Sara

Kerth nominations are opening on March 3!
🏆2024 Kerth Award Posts 🏆.

Join us on the #loisclark Discord server! We talk about fanfic, the show, life, and more!

You can also find me on Tumblr and AO3.

Nobel Peace Prize Winner
Nobel Peace Prize Winner
Originally posted by Lara Joelle Kent:
Yes, that would help immensely with reducing the cost. Although I still wouldn't want to send too many envelopes...

However, what you see in the pic is not the keychain pendant, but the full bracelet. The keychain would have only one of these S-shields and a little bit of blue around.
Oh, yeah, I figured the keychain would be different. I do love the style though.

Battle On,
Deadly Chakram

"One little spark of inspiration is at the heart of all creation." ~ Figment the Dragon

Top Banana
Top Banana
I donated an amount I won't specify, but the story around it is too good to keep to myself.

I grow aloe vera plants in my garden, and the things reproduce readily. As such, every couple of years I separate them and try to find a way to dispose of the extras (which are many). This year, I decided to advertise them on Craigslist and see if anyone wanted to buy them. A buyer showed up, wearing a Superman t-shirt and stoned out of his mind (luckily, he wasn't driving). He said he wanted them because they were green like Kryptonite (the gel does in fact appear to glow when placed in a clear container and set in the sun, though otherwise, they're spiny green plants with reddish flowers on long stalks). Anyhow, he bought all three cartons of plants I'd amassed, put them in the back of his truck, and left (the driver kept looking at me like "I'm sorry this person is so weird"). The whole transaction was weird, but it was also funny, and because of the Superman connection, I decided to donate the proceeds here. rotflol

"Oh, you can’t help that," said the Cat: "we’re all mad here. I’m mad. You’re mad."
"How do you know I’m mad?" said Alice.
"You must be," said the Cat, "or you wouldn’t have come here.”

- Lewis Carroll, Alice in Wonderland
Pulitzer
Pulitzer
That's fantastic, Annie! Thanks so much for sharing - and for your donation clap

Wendy smile

Just a fly-by! *waves*
Beat Reporter
Beat Reporter
That's awesome, Annie! Thank you for donating the proceeds from Kryptonite. Let's hope he's using it for good and not evil. <G>

Annette wink

www.kerthawards.com
www.lcficmbs.com
www.folcvideo.com
www.nfanfic.net
www.annesplace.net

"There is nothing wrong with America that cannot be cured by what is right with America." Bill Clinton, inaugural address, January 21, 1993
K
Pulitzer
Pulitzer
K
LOL, Annie! That's awesome, and thanks!

Join us on the #loisclark Discord server! We talk about fanfic, the show, life, and more!

Nobel Peace Prize Winner
Nobel Peace Prize Winner
rotflol That's hysterical!

Battle On,
Deadly Chakram

K
Pulitzer
Pulitzer
K
To cover all the updates as of late:

Poll for swag slogans.

Poll for "You Know You\'re an Evil Writer When…" (which, IIRC, is up for a swag slogan?).

Go raise your hand here if you want to be counted for physical payment option.

Didya all notice the new Fanworks Auctions folder ? This is where the bidding will happen. It's open now for posting offers - you can read the posting guidelines here . The posts will not be open for replies or bids until the bidding starts - you can read the timelines here (as soon as they're finalized). You can read the bidding guidelines here .

EDITED: And here's the most important link to click right now. Please head over that way to leave some input as to the timing of the auction! We could really use your feedback!

Let me know if you have any questions!

Sara smile

Nobel Peace Prize Winner
Nobel Peace Prize Winner
Originally posted by KathyB:
Just to keep you all posted, we have set up a PayPal account for the boards, and are now finalizing the details on how to send physical checks. So both options will be available. smile

Stay tuned for an announcement (probably in a new thread) with all the details on how to donate. smile

Thanks for all your enthusiasm! It's really wonderful to see how our fandom pulls together even after all these years. thumbsup

Kathy
I know that we know this, and all, but you might want to add a nice disclaimer thingy to the donation page noting out right that none of the funds will be going to writers for their FanFiction. Better safe than sorry.

VirginiaR.
"On the long road, take small steps." -- Jor-el, "The Foundling"
---
"clearly there is a lack of understanding between those two... he speaks Lunkheadanian and she Stubbornanian" -- chelo.
Merriwether
Merriwether
From the donation page:

"The funds we raise will go to pay for the much needed upgrade to the boards (to be done by the UBB people) and to pay for hosting of the various websites related to the boards such as www.nfanfic.net and www.kerthawards.com."

I don't know why anyone would get the idea that we pay authors for fanfic. It's never been done in our fandom, and it's not like we'd get people contributing who are unfamiliar with us.

Is this actually an issue in other fandoms?

Kathy

Columnist
Columnist
Hi Ken,

You can do with any of my stories as you will if there's interest.

Irene Dutch
P.S. Made my donation and love the thermometer showing how much has been raised vs what is required. Also, Annie, what a great story!
P.P.S. Lara, I've already made a donation but would love an opportunity to buy a key fob with the shield. It looks great!

I try to take one day at a time, but sometimes several days attack me at once.
Pulitzer
Pulitzer
I agree with Virginia that an explicit disclaimer about the funds would be a good idea. Not for us, but for outsiders who might get the wrong idea and run out screaming into the blogsphere. One never knows who gets cracked ideas these days.
LOL on the Aloe Vera plants. Maybe he'll have really soft skin.
cool
Artemis

History is easy once you've lived it. - Duncan MacLeod
Writing history is easy once you've lived it. - Artemis
Nobel Peace Prize Winner
Nobel Peace Prize Winner
Originally posted by KathyB:
From the donation page:

"The funds we raise will go to pay for the much needed upgrade to the boards (to be done by the UBB people) and to pay for hosting of the various websites related to the boards such as www.nfanfic.net and www.kerthawards.com. "

I don't know why anyone would get the idea that we pay authors for fanfic. It's never been done in our fandom, and it's not like we'd get people contributing who are unfamiliar with us.
Yes, I saw that disclaimer, but since some of the "for auction" items are stories and ebooks of fanfiction, I thought it would be best if we stated it outright that none of the funds would be going to the authors. Dummy proof it for those big lawyers types who don't really care about us little guys, and are likely to jump on *any* implication of wrongdoing or trademark infringement. Maybe I'm being more Lois-cynical than Clark-trusting, but better safe than sorry.

Is this actually an issue in other fandoms?
I wouldn't know about this as this is the only fansite I visit.

Originally posted by Artemis:
I agree with Virginia that an explicit disclaimer about the funds would be a good idea. Not for us, but for outsiders who might get the wrong idea and run out screaming into the blogsphere. One never knows who gets cracked ideas these days.
clap Yes, Artemis, this is exactly the type of thing I meant.

VirginiaR.
"On the long road, take small steps." -- Jor-el, "The Foundling"
---
"clearly there is a lack of understanding between those two... he speaks Lunkheadanian and she Stubbornanian" -- chelo.
Page 4 of 6 1 2 3 4 5 6

Moderated by  bakasi, JadedEvie, Toomi8 

Link Copied to Clipboard