Lois & Clark Fanfic Message Boards
Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Page 2 of 6 1 2 3 4 5 6
Nobel Peace Prize Winner
Nobel Peace Prize Winner
Originally posted by LMA:
-What about authors paying someone/anyone who could make a book cover/cover art for their stories that are uploaded electronically? (Like I said, I'm pretty much technically illiterate, and don't know anything at all about the process of creating e-books/etc for electronic devices--but thought I'd throw the thought out there smile )
I love this idea! hyper Green-Eyed Monster and Missing Lois could use some artwork. Labby, would you be able to link the finished product to the stories on the Archive?

-On the merchandise front...t-shirts/sweatshirts were mentioned (and I do like that idea a lot--and would be totally interested), but what about other items stating something about our fanfic?
*mouse pads
I could finally replace my Dilbert one.

VirginiaR.
"On the long road, take small steps." -- Jor-el, "The Foundling"
---
"clearly there is a lack of understanding between those two... he speaks Lunkheadanian and she Stubbornanian" -- chelo.
L
Pulitzer
Pulitzer
L
Would there be legal repercussions if we were to have physical objects as premiums? Warner Bros and DC Comics are currently turning a blind eye to fanfic, but if we were to start using their intellectual property on shirts, mugs, etc., might they not be more likely to put their foot down?

I like all of the ideas mentioned in this thread, but I would hate to see the MB closed because of a fundraising attempt. I hope I'm just being a little overly cautious, but I thought it worth bringing up this concern.

Joy,
Lynn

Nobel Peace Prize Winner
Nobel Peace Prize Winner
Originally posted by Lynn S. M.:
Would there be legal repercussions if we were to have physical objects as premiums? Warner Bros and DC Comics are currently turning a blind eye to fanfic, but if we were to start using their intellectual property on shirts, mugs, etc., might they not decide to put their foot down?
What about something non-specific, that doesn't use any copywrited images, but instead uses an original slogan? Such as (from the top of my head):

"LnC:NAoS - FanFiction: 20 years long and still super strong" /Although, I know technically, the show's FanFiction probably started before the end of the show./

"LnC:NAoS - FanFiction: Don't knock a man with glasses; you never know what secrets he may be hiding./

"FanFiction: After 20 years, my superhero can still beat up your superhero, but he's chooses to be better than that."

"FanFiction: I spend my free time saving the world. What do you do?"

"Psst: I have a secret identity. I write FanFiction."

"Psst: I have a secret identity. I read FanFiction."

I'm trying to think of good Lois Lane ones, which are specific to her but are still vague enough to pass censors. All I've come up with is:

"Chocolate and Coffee: the fuel of all great writers."

"Strong women don't need a superhero to back her up, but it doesn't hurt to have one on speed dial."

"I prefer Chocolate to Rocky Road. Ask me why?"

Any other ideas?

VirginiaR.
---
"clearly there is a lack of understanding between those two... he speaks Lunkheadanian and she Stubbornanian" -- chelo.
Pulitzer
Pulitzer
I don't know about intellectual property and things like T-shirts etc - I know that CafePress has lots of fan-designed items related to TV shows etc, but maybe we don't want to take that risk?

However, I have seen some absolutely fabulous ideas on this thread, and I'm sure there would be demand for things such as cover art for fic (I've had that done for fic in other fandoms and I love the results), and converting fic to high-quality e-books - KenJ, what an amazing idea!

Cape Fetish, thank you so much for your lovely comment! blush Unfortunately, I haven't written in the L&C fandom since around 2007 and I don't think I could any more - I haven't even watched an episode for longer than that. So I honestly don't think I could offer fic, and even if I somehow had my arm twisted I'm afraid that the results would be disappointing sad However, I'm looking out for a way I can help with this effort smile

Keep the ideas coming, guys! I'm loving what I'm reading - and the more the better, because if we can raise enough money we'll be able to set aside reserve funds to pay for hosting of this and the other sites managed by Annette for several years, which would be wonderful.

Wendy smile

Just a fly-by! *waves*
LMA Offline
Top Banana
Top Banana
OMG--great ideas, Virginia....love them all!

...especially:

"Psst: I have a secret identity. I write FanFiction."

"Psst: I have a secret identity. I read FanFiction."
thumbsup

"Where's Clark?" "Right here."

...two simple sentences--with so much meaning.

~Lois and Clark in 'House of Luthor'~
L
Pulitzer
Pulitzer
L
Virginia, you've come up with some super slogans.

Wendy, I am thrilled that you decided to chime in. It gives me the opportunity to thank you for all of your fantastic fanfic. Your writing has given me many pleasant hours of reading. I know I am far from alone in this. I hope you change your mind and do decide to pen (keyboard?) more fanfic, but even if you never write another word in this fandom, your contribution has been tremendous. Thank you.

Joy,
Lynn

L
Pulitzer
Pulitzer
L
How about this for a Lois slogan?

Who needz to spell propperly? That's what editers are four.

Joy,
Lynn

LMA Offline
Top Banana
Top Banana
or 'that's what partners are for' --since Clark always likes to edit Lois' copy laugh ...

Agree wholeheartedly with Lynn's words about all of your wonderful stories, Wendy. I've read--and enjoyed--so so many of them sloppy

Laura

"Where's Clark?" "Right here."

...two simple sentences--with so much meaning.

~Lois and Clark in 'House of Luthor'~
T
Merriwether
Merriwether
T
Okay, I've sat back and glanced over some of the ideas and have to say that most of them have a lot of potential.
As for me, Artemis, you're on. I'll try to have something for you in the next few weeks.
As for my long lost Beta and writing partner in crime.
I'm willing to revive the Wendy and Tank Challenge if you are. I'll even volunteer to write to opener the get your L&C juices restarted... or if you'd rather start, I'm open to that to.
The fact that this fandom has remained so strong over such a long period of time says more about the people involved in it than it does the show itself.

Tank (who is also willing to just donate a few shekels once we know the method to do so)

Nobel Peace Prize Winner
Nobel Peace Prize Winner
We need an "Evil Writer" shirt/mug/what have you, for those of us who delight in torturing our characters and/or readers.

Other slogan ideas:

"I'd rather be writing fanfiction."

"I'd rather be reading fanfiction."

"You tore me out of my story for this???"

Battle On,
Deadly Chakram

"Being with you is stronger than me alone." ~ Clark Kent

"One little spark of inspiration is at the heart of all creation." ~ Figment the Dragon

L
Pulitzer
Pulitzer
L
Good ideas, DC. Or how about, "Will write for FDK"?

Joy,
Lynn

Beat Reporter
Beat Reporter
I think Zazzle has better quality then CafePress at the moment. Setting up a store on a site like that to get a continuous trickle of money seems like a good idea. Having it be aimed at the L&C fanfic community to cover the archive and the message boards seems like the way to go instead of using images of the characters.

Having a fundraiser to get a chunk of cash to last until we see how much that brings in makes sense also.

L
Pulitzer
Pulitzer
L
Plus the slogans that Deadly Chakram mentioned could work for any fandom, and so they might draw in a lot more funds than L&C-specific ones would. If we went the Zazzle or Cafe Press route, the merchandise would reach a much larger audience than anything limited to the MB would.

Joy,
Lynn

Nobel Peace Prize Winner
Nobel Peace Prize Winner
Originally posted by Lynn S. M.:
Plus the slogans that Deadly Chakram mentioned could work for any fandom, and so they might draw in a lot more funds than L&C-specific ones would. If we went the Zazzle or Cafe Press route, the merchandise would reach a much larger audience than anything limited to the MB would.

Joy,
Lynn
My thoughts too, Lynn. Plus, it side-steps the whole, potentially messy, copyright issue.

Battle On,
Deadly Chakram

"Being with you is stronger than me alone." ~ Clark Kent

"One little spark of inspiration is at the heart of all creation." ~ Figment the Dragon

Boards Chief Administrator
Beat Reporter
Beat Reporter
I am quite keen on the t-shirt/sweat shirt idea so long as we don't use trademarked material.

The site I was looking into to using is

http://teespring.com/

They are specifically easy to use for fundraisers. They do not take any money up front but rely on sales. We tell them how much we want to net from the proceeds then they come back and tell us the price per item and how many items we need to sell to make our goal.

Anyway, please look for a new post from either Labby or myself that will explain what is needed within the next month or so and what we'd like to raise to keep the boards running now and for the future.

Annette wink

www.kerthawards.com
www.lcficmbs.com
www.folcvideo.com
www.nfanfic.net
www.annesplace.net

"There is nothing wrong with America that cannot be cured by what is right with America." Bill Clinton, inaugural address, January 21, 1993
Beat Reporter
Beat Reporter
Here's a sample. This shows the base price that they would charge.

If anyone wants to create a graphic with one of the aforementioned slogans they accepts those as well.

[Linked Image]

[Linked Image]

Annette wink

www.kerthawards.com
www.lcficmbs.com
www.folcvideo.com
www.nfanfic.net
www.annesplace.net

"There is nothing wrong with America that cannot be cured by what is right with America." Bill Clinton, inaugural address, January 21, 1993
Nobel Peace Prize Winner
Nobel Peace Prize Winner
LMA and Lynn: Thank you. blush

Originally posted by Deadly Chakram:
We need an "Evil Writer" shirt/mug/what have you, for those of us who delight in torturing our characters and/or readers.
Genius! notworthy

I've created a separate thread to keep these ideas coming and not clog up this thread: Slogans for Fundraising Swag . Maybe we can make a poll and narrow down the list to our top favorites to use for the fundraiser.

VirginiaR.
---
Nobel Peace Prize Winner
Nobel Peace Prize Winner
Annette, would they be able to do a blue t-shirt with red lettering outlined in yellow? wink

VirginiaR.
---
Beat Reporter
Beat Reporter
Oh yeah, there are different options. Go to the main page and start a campaign to see what you can do. You don't need to follow through the whole process.

Annette wink

www.kerthawards.com
www.lcficmbs.com
www.folcvideo.com
www.nfanfic.net
www.annesplace.net

Pulitzer
Pulitzer
Is there an account set up where we could just donate?

Page 2 of 6 1 2 3 4 5 6

Moderated by  bakasi, JadedEvie, Toomi8 

Link Copied to Clipboard