Lois & Clark Fanfic Message Boards
Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Nobel Peace Prize Winner
OP Offline
Nobel Peace Prize Winner
Man of Steel. Man in Blue. The Big Boy Scout. These are all nicknames used for Superman.

When using the phrase 'man of steel', for example, in a sentence, when should it be capitalized "Man of Steel" and when should it be left lowercase "man of steel"? Are some nicknames more likely to be capitalized than others?

This is one of those blurry line issues I'm never sure on.

What do you think?

VirginiaR.
"On the long road, take small steps." -- Jor-el, "The Foundling"
---
"clearly there is a lack of understanding between those two... he speaks Lunkheadanian and she Stubbornanian" -- chelo.
Nobel Peace Prize Winner
Nobel Peace Prize Winner
I vote yes, capitalize them. Like Bobby Bigmouth would not be written as Bobby bigmouth. Or Batman would be The Caped Crusader, not the caped crusader. At least, that's how I've always seen it written and it seems more "proper" to me to capitalize the famous nicknames when it is being used as a nickname.

So, for example, I would write this way:

"A man of steel," Lex Luthor growled under his breath as he watched the bullets bounce off Superman's chest.

"So much for the Man of Steel," Luthor gloated, as the Kryptonite bullet tore through Superman's shoulder.

Battle On,
Deadly Chakram

"Being with you is stronger than me alone." ~ Clark Kent

"One little spark of inspiration is at the heart of all creation." ~ Figment the Dragon

Nobel Peace Prize Winner
OP Offline
Nobel Peace Prize Winner
Originally posted by Deadly Chakram:
"A man of steel," Lex Luthor growled under his breath as he watched the bullets bounce off Superman's chest.

"So much for the Man of Steel," Luthor gloated, as the Kryptonite bullet tore through Superman's shoulder.
So, when a man in blue become THE Man in Blue, then you switch to capitalization? That makes sense.

VirginiaR.
"On the long road, take small steps." -- Jor-el, "The Foundling"
---
"clearly there is a lack of understanding between those two... he speaks Lunkheadanian and she Stubbornanian" -- chelo.
Nobel Peace Prize Winner
Nobel Peace Prize Winner
That's what I was taught in school, at any rate. As long as it is being used as a name. Superman would be The Man in Blue. But you could write:

The man in blue crossed his arms as Lois took out her notepad.

"Who are you?" she asked.

"My name is Kal-El," the man replied.

See? Here, "the man in blue" is just an identifier, not a name. Though I have seen identifiers sometimes capitalized as well, especially if that is the *only* way a character is referred to in a story. So, if Superman/Kal/Clark is never used, as a name, and he is only called "the man in blue," then I would write it as "The Man in Blue."

Know what I mean?

Battle On,
Deadly Chakram

"Being with you is stronger than me alone." ~ Clark Kent

"One little spark of inspiration is at the heart of all creation." ~ Figment the Dragon

Kerth
Kerth
I would agree. Because of everything Vicki said, and because whenever I accidentally don't capitalize it when it's used as a nickname, I regret it immediately when I notice it. laugh

Nothing spoils a good story like the arrival of an eye witness.
--Mark Twain
J
Pulitzer
Pulitzer
J
If the phrase is standing in place of a name, we should capitalize it. Thus if it would be "Superman ran and caught the falling plane." But you want to vary your usage and say "The Man of Steel ran and caught the falling plane." It should be capitalized there.

John Pack Lambert

Moderated by  bakasi, JadedEvie, Toomi8 

Link Copied to Clipboard