Lois & Clark Fanfic Message Boards
Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Nobel Peace Prize Winner
OP Offline
Nobel Peace Prize Winner
Does anyone remember when Superman tells the public (and, thus, the villains out there) that he can't see through lead? Is this weakness something he ever shares with the public or just with Lois privately? Or does he never tell her until she discovers the truth?

I vaguely recall him mentioning something about lead when Lois pulls the Kryptonite bullet out of his shoulder during Madame Ex, but that might be wishful thinking on my part.

Does anyone recall?

Inquiring minds want to know. laugh

VirginiaR.
"On the long road, take small steps." -- Jor-el, "The Foundling"
---
"clearly there is a lack of understanding between those two... he speaks Lunkheadanian and she Stubbornanian" -- chelo.
Nobel Peace Prize Winner
Nobel Peace Prize Winner
I don't think it was ever explicitly said by Superman. He tells her in Madame Ex to "get it away" from him (re: the green K bullet). However, it really wouldn't be a stretch to assume everyone would know about the lead weakness since x-rays can't penetrate lead. (Hence the lead lined smocks when you get things like dental x-rays.)

Clark *does* slip once or twice when he's covertly using his powers. He mumbles "lead lined" when he can't x-ray through the shutters when they are on their stake out in the Lexor, for example, in HiM.

Battle On,
Deadly Chakram

"Being with you is stronger than me alone." ~ Clark Kent

"One little spark of inspiration is at the heart of all creation." ~ Figment the Dragon

Top Banana
Top Banana
The only instance I can recall, off the top of my head, where a villain used lead in their plan to baffle/trick Clark was when Jason Mazik kidnapped Clark's parents and held them in a lead lined room. Now, Mazik got all of his information from that book by Tempus so I guess the book details all of Superman's vulnerabilities as well as powers, history, future etc. This leads me to believe that it is NOT generally know that this is a problem for Superman. Other instances when lead has got in the way were most likely just by coincidence.

I agree completely with the above post. I watched Madame Ex only last night (been working through the whole series with my 8 year old girl - she demands to watch an episode every evening after tea) and there is no mention of lead. Otherwise, there are just random comments made by Clark - only ever to Lois as well, I think (HiM, Fly Hard, Lucky Leon come to mind).

KatherineKent/Victoria
Lois: "You put up with me for the same reason I put up with you. It's because I'm completely in love with you."
Clark: "And I love you ... Did we just make up?"
Lois: "I think so."
J
Pulitzer
Pulitzer
J
The only comment I can remember is Clark muttering "lead lined" in HiM, and Lois totally not knowing what he means.

His mention of "lead" in Fly Hard is even more obscure. Of course these are as Clark, so he shouldn't see through anyway.

I was thinking Lois and Clark indicated she knew he could not see through lead in "Ordinary People", but reading through the script it seems the conversation about the place being lead lined was with the guard.

John Pack Lambert
J
Pulitzer
Pulitzer
J
Actually, the most explicit line about lead is when Superman tells Lois in "Barbarians at the Planet" Something like "don't even bother putting on a robe Lois, the only way it would do any good is if it were lead lined."

The way he says it, I get the impression that he does not feel he is actually telling her something new. He is just being spiteful over her earlier rejection of him. Still, it means that Lois clearly knows lead will protect him come "Madame X".

John Pack Lambert
Nobel Peace Prize Winner
Nobel Peace Prize Winner
Originally posted by John Lambert:
Actually, the most explicit line about lead is when Superman tells Lois in "Barbarians at the Planet" Something like "don't even bother putting on a robe Lois, the only way it would do any good is if it were lead lined."

The way he says it, I get the impression that he does not feel he is actually telling her something new. He is just being spiteful over her earlier rejection of him. Still, it means that Lois clearly knows lead will protect him come "Madame X".
Ah, good point about the lead-lined robe. I had forgotten that one.

Battle On,
Deadly Chakram

"Being with you is stronger than me alone." ~ Clark Kent

"One little spark of inspiration is at the heart of all creation." ~ Figment the Dragon

Nobel Peace Prize Winner
OP Offline
Nobel Peace Prize Winner

clap I knew he mentioned it at some point to Lois.

VirginiaR.
"On the long road, take small steps." -- Jor-el, "The Foundling"
---
"clearly there is a lack of understanding between those two... he speaks Lunkheadanian and she Stubbornanian" -- chelo.
J
Pulitzer
Pulitzer
J
Originally posted by VirginiaR:
[b] Actually, the most explicit line about lead is when Superman tells Lois in "Barbarians at the Planet" Something like "don't even bother putting on a robe Lois, the only way it would do any good is if it were lead lined."

clap I knew he mentioned it at some point to Lois. [/b]
At least the way I take that whole conversation, I don't think we are meant to think that Superman is telling Lois something new. He is more saying the known in as offensive a way as possible.

John Pack Lambert

Moderated by  bakasi, JadedEvie, Toomi8 

Link Copied to Clipboard