Lois & Clark Fanfic Message Boards
Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
#167413 03/05/12 06:54 PM
Kerth
OP Offline
Kerth
I have a few technical questions about this organization that I'd like to know quick. Opinions or facts are acceptable- I'll pick and choose through them for what I need anyway, so it really makes no difference to me. /cheeky/ laugh Any help would be great, though.

1. In LnC fandom, does the Superman Foundation ever come to exist? If so, when is it generally accepted to have begun? (Will stick with my own dates anyways, just curiosity here)

2. Do charities have any place in stock markets? Would the Superman foundation have any? (Again, second question is opinions only...)

3. How much money would you expect it to make in a year? Two? Ten? Just guesstimates, please.

Thanks!
wave

Nothing spoils a good story like the arrival of an eye witness.
--Mark Twain
#167414 03/05/12 07:17 PM
Nobel Peace Prize Winner
Nobel Peace Prize Winner
Originally posted by Mouserocks:
1. In LnC fandom, does the Superman Foundation ever come to exist? If so, when is it generally accepted to have begun? (Will stick with my own dates anyways, just curiosity here)
In the L&C Fandom Clark... er... Superman creates a nonprofit organization (but I don't think it's ever called on the show as the "Superman Foundation") after "I'm Looking Through You" to handle all the unreaped profits from the Superman merchandizing. This is handled by sleezy selfpromoting talent agent Murray Brown of the Galactic Talent Agency. This episode originally aired 10/10/93.

2. Do charities have any place in stock markets? Would the Superman foundation have any? (Again, second question is opinions only...)
Some do. I think I heard of charities that got in trouble with that ponzi scheme thing in NY a few years ago... um... what's his name? I forget. Anyway I wouldn't recommend it and I couldn't see Clark agreeing to it. Too risky an investment. But it's possible, if his financial advisors did so without consulting him.

. How much money would you expect it to make in a year? Two? Ten? Just guesstimates, please.
How much does DC make with Superman merchandizing? wink My guess. A LOT!

VirginiaR.
"On the long road, take small steps." -- Jor-el, "The Foundling"
---
"clearly there is a lack of understanding between those two... he speaks Lunkheadanian and she Stubbornanian" -- chelo.
#167415 03/05/12 07:21 PM
Nobel Peace Prize Winner
Nobel Peace Prize Winner
Dang, I *knew* Virginia would beat me too it! :p

Superman agrees to work with Murray Brown in "I'm Looking Through You".

Here's the scene:

Superman is about to fly, but...

MURRAY (O.S.)
Supe! You were terrific! (X)

They turn to see Murray Brown standing there, holding a document.

MURRAY (CONT'D)
You want it in writing, right?
Here's the emmis. World wide
merchandising rights. I'm
talkin' movies, I'm talkin'
miniseries, I'm talkin' music
videos, I'm talkin' comic books,
I'm talkin, action figures. But,
you call the shots. Quality
control is Murray Brown's middle
name. You don't like it, we
don't do it. How can you turn
down a deal like that?

SUPERMAN
I can't.

LOIS
(aghast)
You can't?

SUPERMAN
But, all proceeds go to charity.

MURRAY
Great touch.

Superman starts to fly. Murray calls after him, suddenly
concerned.

MURRAY (CONT'D)
That wouldn't include my
commission, would it?
So, even though we never get the name "The Superman Foundation" we do get its roots.

As for the rest, I have *no* idea.

Battle On,
Deadly Chakram

"Being with you is stronger than me alone." ~ Clark Kent

"One little spark of inspiration is at the heart of all creation." ~ Figment the Dragon

#167416 03/05/12 07:32 PM
Kerth
OP Offline
Kerth
Thanks guys! I remembered Brown approaching Superman about merchandising before, but didn't remember the agreement in the end (or at least, never took it seriously).

that ponzi scheme thing in NY a few years ago... um... what's his name?
Bernie Madoff. The man who quite literally "made off" with a cool $65 BILLION (and yes, that's with a "b") in what was probably the most elaborate and effective ponzi scheme of all time...

/scampers off before anybody starts to ask questions about just why I know all that.../
I wouldn't recommend it and I couldn't see Clark agreeing to it. Too risky an investment.
I agree.

... evil

--Mark Twain
#167417 03/06/12 02:18 PM
Features Writer
Features Writer
Well, worldwide sales of Superman merchandise earns Warner brothers, owner of DC comics over $500 million a year. (I'm not sure if that's gross or net.) Of course, that's for a figure that's had more than seventy years to get going...but on the other hand, a *real* Superman might sell just as much, depending on the deals.

#167418 03/06/12 06:30 PM
Kerth
OP Offline
Kerth
Thanks, Shayne! I'll keep those numbers in mind (though not sure how much logistics will actually come into play).

wave

--Mark Twain
#167419 03/06/12 09:03 PM
Kerth
Kerth
Does that include income from the comics, DVDs etc? Seems a little on the low side if it does. If not, there will probably be "documentary" equivalents in the Superman world. In one of my non L&C Superman stories I mention the "6 disk National Geographic Superman Collection," basically documentaries about his work around the world, science about his powers, etc.

Marcus L. Rowland
Forgotten Futures, The Scientific Romance Role Playing Game
#167420 03/08/12 02:52 AM
Beat Reporter
Beat Reporter
A charity can't pay earnings or be sold for capital gains. So no stock market listing. They can hire people to do things, give grants etc., own stock as an investment or even whole companies to earn money.

With a real Superman and a foundation it is quite possible to have other people donate money to the foundation. Warren Buffet donated stock worth 31 billion (yes B) to the Gates Foundation. He did donate it in such a way way that he can still vote it so he can still control his company until he dies but he can't sell it or get the money back.

Moderated by  bakasi, JadedEvie, Toomi8 

Link Copied to Clipboard