Lois & Clark Fanfic Message Boards
Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
#166931 01/20/12 05:56 AM
Nobel Peace Prize Winner
OP Offline
Nobel Peace Prize Winner
I have recently been trying to broaden my horizons and write a WAFF(y) story. Yet, whenever I do, I end up with another comedy scene hitting the cutting room floor. (My current attempt has more deleted scenes than actual scenes.)

The LnC Dictionary describes WAFF as "Warm And Fuzzy Feeling The feeling you get from a particularly touching moment in a fic. Adjective is WAFFy."

If you know how to write this stuff without it turning silly. Just a Little Note was my first attempt at WAFFy and although I love that story (so much so that my current attempt keeps reminding me of it) it doesn't get me that warm and fuzzy feeling that so many other people's stories have. <<cough, cough Sue S.>>

So, what advice can you give me? Please! I need help.

(I'm thinking of gathering up all my deleted scenes and posting my them as another silly story, because Clark is such a lunkhead in it I'm too tempted to share. evil )

Last edited by VirginiaR; 05/09/14 02:35 AM. Reason: Fixed broken Links

VirginiaR.
"On the long road, take small steps." -- Jor-el, "The Foundling"
---
"clearly there is a lack of understanding between those two... he speaks Lunkheadanian and she Stubbornanian" -- chelo.
Columnist
Columnist
Originally posted by VirginiaR:

(I'm thinking of gathering up all my deleted scenes and posting my them as another silly story, because Clark is such a lunkhead in it I'm too tempted to share. evil )
I would like to see these =]

As for writing them, I never put much thought into whether or not a scene was WAFFy or anything else, so I'm not sure what to tell you.

When I think WAFFy though, I think of scenes like the S4 Christmas episode when Lois says something about finally seeing things through Clark's eyes and he's all "well than you're the lucky one, cause I'm looking at you."

I think it's like the scenes that make you wanna play with cardboard cut out hearts and unicorn poop.

.talk nerdy to me.
Nobel Peace Prize Winner
OP Offline
Nobel Peace Prize Winner
Mrs. Luthor has a point. Maybe instead of asking for generic advice, I should ask everyone to mention their favorite WAFFy scene from L&C and extrapolate (sorry, just finished watching my daily quotient of Bones) from that what WAFFy looks like.

My first guess, it doesn't have Clark as a lunkhead, but as Mr. Nice Guy Charming. (as per Mrs. Luthor's favorite scene.)

So, I'll probably have to move my story from WAFFy to the comedy, but that's okay. wink It still has WAFFy components to it.

VirginiaR.
---
"clearly there is a lack of understanding between those two... he speaks Lunkheadanian and she Stubbornanian" -- chelo.
Top Banana
Top Banana
I hope this isn’t silly-obvious, but… Write from the inside out.

Become the character. If you are constructing a romantic scene for Lois and Clark, the first thing you have to do is see the other through their eyes. For each person, remember that they are seeing something/someone that they thought would didn’t exist. They are each looking at a person that they might be able to love – who may love them back.

Don’t write as if you are watching the characters. Immerse yourself in the characters. You have to feel what they feel. If you feel it and can write what you are feeling – not what you think they should be feeling – your WAFF scene will be effective.

Obvious? Probably, but that’s all I have. The most effective scenes – whether I write them or read them – are all about feeling from the inside, not seeing from the outside.

Bob

Nobel Peace Prize Winner
Nobel Peace Prize Winner
Well, I'll admit that I only recently started writing WAFFy stuff. But here's what I typically do:

1) Become each of the characters. Don't be afraid to step into their shoes. Hack into their minds. Ask yourself what would they say/do in this situation.

2) I actually base some of my Lois and Clark interactions on how my husband and I interact. Then I tailor it to make sure that the actions/dialogue fit the characters of Lois and Clark.

3) Don't shy away from comedy. One of the best things about Lois and Clark's relationship is that it grows from a best friendship. So they are used to the good natured teasing that goes along with the territory. They aren't afraid to tease on another, sometimes even in slightly ridiculous/hilarious ways. WAFFy stories without humor can get a little dry and heavy I think. Humor keeps it light and refreshing. Don't make it a ROTFLMAO-fest but don't allow the story to take itself too seriously either (unless of course, the story demands going to one extreme or another).

4) Allow your inner 5 year old to play. This kind of ties into #1. When in doubt, act out the scene from both characters perspective. I don't mean that you should make out with your pillow pretending that it's Clark, but sometimes saying the dialogue aloud in the proper tones can help you decide if a scene is working.

5) It really can be all about the details. You can write humourous dialogue between the characters, but the little touches like Lois brushing the lock of hair from Clark's forehead can add that extra little moment of "awwww."

Anyway, just my two cents worth, even though I really haven't written much in terms of WAFFy stories.

(Snowbound was the only story that I wrote with the intention of writing a WAFFy story. Any others with WAFFy scenes just sort of emerged in the writing process.)

Battle On,
Deadly Chakram

"Being with you is stronger than me alone." ~ Clark Kent

"One little spark of inspiration is at the heart of all creation." ~ Figment the Dragon

Nobel Peace Prize Winner
Nobel Peace Prize Winner
Also, please post your deleted scenes. I'm always up for a good ROTFLMAO-fest! laugh

Battle On,
Deadly Chakram

"Being with you is stronger than me alone." ~ Clark Kent

"One little spark of inspiration is at the heart of all creation." ~ Figment the Dragon

T
Merriwether
Merriwether
T
A couple of things you might want to remember.
First, a waffy story is not one that is endless sweetness and light, that would be boring. Rather, it's a story that has scenes, situations, and moments that are considered waffy.

Also, waff is not so much the opposite of angst as it is the resolution of angst.

Other responders have already touched on the easiest route to writing a waffy moment. You take on the POV of one the the characters and 'feel' the effect of the moment. If it would make you feel good, it should make your character feel good. Don't confuse sexual or romantic components as necessary to a waffy scene. Any situation that would make you 'feel good' can be considered waffy.

The return of a lost puppy could be considered a waffy moment.

The best advice I can give is to not get caught up in trying to 'force' something into your story. Instead you are always better off just letting it evolve and it will be what it will be.

Tank (who knows a little something of waff since he is considered the 'king of the happy ever after' ending... right?)

Nobel Peace Prize Winner
OP Offline
Nobel Peace Prize Winner
Wow, thanks, guys. This is all some really great advice. I hope it made my story stronger.

Bob, I try to do that inside out stuff when I write but sometimes my character shift my POV and suddenly it's like I'm watching it in my head instead of feeling it with my characters.

DC, you're so lucky if your husband is still romantic enough to steal ideas from. I still can remember romance in my life... it seems like a 1000 years ago, before children. frown The closest thing we get to romance is watching a 1/2 hour comedy or an hour thumbsup Total WAFF!

The story I pieced together isn't the story I pictured in my head when I was working on it. (It never is, is it?) Maybe I'll be able to salvage something serious (and less lol ) from this bit of silly fluff. I'd have to cut everything but the one scene I've pictured in my head from the beginning and just rework it so it isn't was it currently is. Personally, the rest of the stuff is cutting room floor scenes taped together to make a flow. (Lots of Clark as a lunkhead.)

I guess my main problem was taking one of my old stories and trying to make it an L&C story. The fit just wasn't there.

VirginiaR.
---
Pulitzer
Pulitzer
All great advice. One other important factor - "show don't tell".
This reiterates the work from the inside mantra. Telling is like newspaper writing, describing the scene from the outside observer's POV. The author needs to be the character.
And if acting out to your pillow works, go for it!
Frankly, I could never write fiction when the kids were around. I even put the "cone of silence" at the den door when Hubby is around.
thumbsup
Artemis

History is easy once you've lived it. - Duncan MacLeod
Writing history is easy once you've lived it. - Artemis
Kerth
Kerth
Oh, please post what you've got! You know I'm a sucker for a good lunkhead fic!

That being said, I think the one other thing I'd emphasize is *details*. I think DC mentioned it, about the brushing the lock of hair back, but it's true. Everything else is important too, but that always helps me. The little things can set the mood. You've got to break it down- from scenes to shots. Instead of a long cut of them arguing (or bantering), break it up with a little insert of... something. A motion, a touch, etc.

That's the way I look at it, anyways. huh

Good luck with it!

Nothing spoils a good story like the arrival of an eye witness.
--Mark Twain
Nobel Peace Prize Winner
OP Offline
Nobel Peace Prize Winner
Okay, I got my WAFF on (let's hope) and it's now up and running. First Kiss . I hope I have done you proud.

PS: I will post my 2.5 part cutting room floor story closer to Valentine Day. Please practice your :rolleyes: in anticipation (to the cutting room floor story, not to the above story).

VirginiaR.
---
Pulitzer
Pulitzer
Virginia,

You definitely hit a home run with ‘First Kiss’ – Absolutely WAFFy.

Herb replied, “My boy, I never say … impossible.” "Lois and Clarks"

My stories can be found here

kj
Nobel Peace Prize Winner
OP Offline
Nobel Peace Prize Winner
Ken - Thank you. blush

And now, for a little bit of silly :rolleyes: smile1 fun. By popular demand: my 'cutting room floor' story. Once Upon A Dream... . Part 1 posted tonight, Part 2 tomorrow night, and the "Over the Top" Epilogue will post Monday night.

You may find the end of Part 2 familiar, but it is only a trick of the mind. It is a very different scene, since it takes place in a very different context. wink And after reading First Kiss, you'll know how and why these scenes ended up on the cutting room floor. Enjoy. evil

VirginiaR.
---

Moderated by  bakasi, JadedEvie, Toomi8 

Link Copied to Clipboard