Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Page 2 of 2 1 2
C
Freelance Reporter
Freelance Reporter
C
Hi Chaos. I'm not sure why so many want SQD to load new software when .rtf works perfectly well.
Because according to Happy Girl it doesn't work perfectly well, it only works.
Maybe SQD actually has Word Perfect
Why should one assume that SQD has Word Perfect, which has no version named anything 2005, instead of Word, which has a version named Word 2005?
If I would guess SQD not actually having Word, I'd guess at them using WordPad instead of WordPerfect.

Pulitzer
Pulitzer
Hi Chaos:
Because SQD told HG that she doesn't have .doc. If she had any version of Word it would be .doc. Corel makes Word Perfect and it is .wpf.
You are never going to get a perfect match between a PC and a MAC. That's the problem that .rtf is meant to solve.
cool
Artemis

History is easy once you've lived it. - Duncan MacLeod
Writing history is easy once you've lived it. - Artemis
Top Banana
OP Offline
Top Banana
Thanks, Artemis. I'm not actually changing the font. That's just the menu that my color change is under. We'll muddle through with the colored text. I'm just spoiled with the comments feature.

This reminds me of a conversation I had in 1992. I was borrowing a fax machine from our office's landlord because we didn't have on of our own, and while I was waiting for the document to go through, I said to the (older than me) secretary there, "Whatever did people do before fax machines?"

To which she replied, completely deadpan, "They waited."

So, whatever did we do before comments? We used colored text. wink

Thanks for the suggestion, Chaos. I'm not sure it's worth getting SQD to change her program/format for one story, but if we keep working together (and if I keep finding the colored text so cumbersome) it might be worth a try.

Thanks again for everyone's help and patience.

Happy

This *is* my happily ever after.
F
Kerth
Kerth
F
Originally posted by Chaos:
[QUOTE]Why should one assume that SQD has Word Perfect, which has no version named anything 2005, instead of Word, which has a version named Word 2005?
There is no version of Word for the PC named 2005.
It is
2002 aka XP

Framework4
Pulitzer
Pulitzer
Framework4 is correct
------------------------------------------------------
There is no version of Word for the PC named 2005.
It is
2002 aka XP
-----------------------------------------------------------

Personally I generally eschew the use of RTF format. Real Text has it's own set of problems.

I would recommend saving the document on the PC using the 'save as' command and simply save as an Office 97 - 2003 .DOC.

This can be opened by just about any Word processing program currently in common use, MS or open source. MS Word for MAC included. (Open Office mimics MS Office 2003.) The possible exception would be Word Perfect(TM).

Also by doing this you avoid the problem of .DOCX incompatability. Some versions will heve the ability to handle commenting/editing/versioning better than others but MS products back as far as XP have the capability. In some cases it just needs to be 'turned on'.

Whether or not that is the case with Word for MAC I do not know. I'm pretty much a PC person and have had limited exposure to MAC.

Office 95, 97, 2000 were more limited than the later versions.

Artemis suggestion of using colored fonts imbedded within the text is an excellent alternative which eliminates all compatability issues.

Herb replied, “My boy, I never say … impossible.” "Lois and Clarks"

My stories can be found here

kj
Top Banana
OP Offline
Top Banana
Thanks, Ken. I'm more than half-way through the story using the colored fonts, so I'll stick with that for now, but if we work together in the future I'll see if we can find a way to make the comments feature work.

Happy

This *is* my happily ever after.
Page 2 of 2 1 2

Moderated by  bakasi, JadedEvie, Toomi8 

Link Copied to Clipboard