Print Thread
Page 1 of 2 1 2
T
Tank Offline OP
Merriwether
OP Offline
Merriwether
T
All the cross over talk recently has brought up this niggle in the back of my mind again.

I know, in general, crossover fics aren't not all that popular. I myself am not all that fond of them because I usually don't have any investment in the cross over universe. But in this case I think there are several folc out there who are familiar with this particular other duo.

So check this out if you will, and let me know if there is any interest in such a story.

Vacation in Metropolis
By Tank

New York City homicide detective Kate Beckett leaned back in her chair and studied the 'murder board'. The large, white, porcelain marker board displayed several photographs with colored marker lines connecting them in a crisscross pattern that looked like a road map from hell. Each photograph was labeled with notes, questions, and answers pertaining to each individual and their relationships to each other.

The FBI had their fancy computers with all the touch screens and virtual displays, but there was something about doing it the old fashioned way that seemed so much more satisfying to her.

Her latest case had been one of the most challenging yet. There had been so many twists and turns, blind leads, red-herrings, and just plain old confusion that it was just short of a miracle that she and her team had been able to solve the murder and prevent a second.

She shook her head slowly as her gaze drifted across the colorful scribbles on the nicked and scratched whiteboard. Against all odds they'd busted the case and once again, Castle's contributions and assistance had proved essential to their being able to catch the killer and close the case.

Her Captain had just gotten finished giving her a pat on the back for a job well done and was now talking to Castle. If she knew the Captain and Castle it probably had nothing to do with the case and most likely about tickets to the Knicks game tomorrow night.

One would think that the life of a homicide detective, though never dull or mundane, would generally be more stable and routine. Every murder was different, but each was approached in the same way. There were procedures to follow and legwork that needed to be done that were essentially the same for every case.

Yet, when Castle had entered her world, even the routine seemed to take on a life of its own and she was consistently finding herself needing to re-evaluate her expectations. In her business results were what counted and she grudgingly had to admit that he helped her get results.

Richard Castle was a best selling crime novelist who'd first crossed her path a couple of years ago when he was foisted off on her as a 'ride-along'. He was friends with the mayor, as well as her captain, so he had little trouble getting permission to accompany her and her team on several cases. It was all in the name of research for his next book. The higher ups thought it would be good public relations. She thought it would be a pain in the neck.

Of course, that didn't really prepare her for what came next. As it turned out, he was looking to create a new character for his next book. A character that unfortunately was supposedly based on her.

The heroine of his novel was a sexed-up, super model with a badge who went by the name of Nicki Heat. It had caused her no little amount of grief and embarrassment when the first book "Heat Wave" hit the stands and became an immediate best seller. Kate sighed as she remembered those awkward days after the book came out. At least he got most of the police work part of it right.

The public reaction was such that the powers that be were more than receptive to the idea of a second book. Castle was back in the fold, and even though "Naked Heat" had been released a few months ago, it didn't seem that he would be leaving her team anytime soon. Apparently Nicki Heat was here to stay.

She glanced up when she heard the laughter coming from her captain's office. They were probably swapping dirty jokes now.

Her relationship with Castle was... complicated. Early on his constant hovering and unsolicited input had been annoying, but over time he sort of 'grew' on her. There was no doubt that he was a good looking guy, and could be very charming when he wanted to be.
He seemed to know everybody who was anybody in the city of New York, and on more than one occasion his contacts had been very helpful on cases.

They'd had their ups and downs in the past. Every time it seemed like one of them was ready to make a move toward something a little more daring in their relationship the other would do something to put distance between them again. It was an age old problem and truthfully she didn't have any idea where her and Castle would end up, but she did know that he would always have her back, and she would always have his. They were friends.

She watched as Castle shook her captain's hand and left his office. He approached her desk, a big smile on his face. "Well, I hear you've got some vacation time coming up."

Kate frowned. "It wasn't my idea. Captain is forcing me to take some time off. It seems that H.R. pointed out that I've got eight weeks of vacation time built up and if I don't take some time off the union is going to file a complaint."

"Can they do that if it's your choice?"

Kate shook her head. "It's a union, what do you think?"

Castle laughed. "I see what you mean. So, any big plans?"

Beckett emitted a very unladylike snort. "Oh yeah, big plans. First I'm going to take a luxurious bath, then I'm going to paint my toes. After all that I think I'll fall asleep on my couch reading a book."

Castle perked up. "Oh, going to check out "Naked Heat"?"

"I was thinking more along the lines of actual literature."

Castle placed his hand over his heart. "You wound me." Kate laughed. "Tell you what," he continued. "It sounds like you don't really have any definite plans. Let me offer you an alternative."

Kate eyed the cocky novelist warily. "What, prey tell, has that dirty little mind of yours concocted?"

"Have you ever been to Metropolis?"

"The Big Apricot?"

Castle smiled at that city's sobriquet. "One in the same. My agent has me scheduled to do some book signings and press junkets there this weekend. Why don't you come with me? We could do some sight seeing." Castle cocked his brow. "Who knows, we might even get to meet Superman."

Beckett shook her head in amused denial. "I know you seem to know everyone who is anyone in New York, but I hope you aren't trying to tell me that you actually know Superman."

Castle shrugged. "Well, no I don't know Superman, but I do know someone who does know Superman. She knows him quite well, in fact."

Beckett couldn't hold back her laughter. "Of course she does. What is she, his secret girlfriend? Or perhaps they're just buddies who hang out and watch old videos at her place." Beckett's tone turned more accusatory. "And why is it that your 'friend' in Metropolis just happens to be a woman? Not another ex-wife?"

It was Castle's turn to laugh. "Not hardly. Perhaps you've even heard of her. She and her husband are pretty well known." He paused, knowing that it bugged when he played at the dramatic.

"Enough with the games just tell me who this mystery woman is."

Castle smiled. "None other than... Lois Lane."

to be continued...?

S
Hack from Nowheresville
Hack from Nowheresville
S
Oh YES, PLEASE!!!!!!!

Merriwether
Merriwether
I've never seen the show -- though I have heard about it and chuckled to myself that it sounded like some L&C AU fanfics <g> -- but I'd definitely read this story if you wrote it. I was intrigued by this little snippet (especially since L&C are married, so this isn't going to be one of those "bring in an outside love interest" kind of stories) and would like to read more. smile

Kathy

Pulitzer
Pulitzer
Go for it! I'm a huge Castle fan. I've read the two novels written by 'Richard Castle' too.
cool
Artemis thumbsup thumbsup thumbsup

History is easy once you've lived it. - Duncan MacLeod
Writing history is easy once you've lived it. - Artemis
T
Pulitzer
Pulitzer
T
I'll read it as long as Beckett doesn't get pregnant. That would be a deal-breaker for me.

evil

(like I really mean that)

Life isn't a support system for writing. It's the other way around.

- Stephen King, from On Writing
Kerth
Kerth
I don't know Castle at all, except for some Highlander crossovers I've read, but it sounds like fun.

Marcus L. Rowland
Forgotten Futures, The Scientific Romance Role Playing Game
Pulitzer
Pulitzer
Well, it's not much like Highlander, but it is fun. Try this: http://abc.go.com/shows/castle
You can see full episodes.
Funny, Terry!
cool
Artemis

T
Tank Offline OP
Merriwether
OP Offline
Merriwether
T
Quick clarification. Since the Castle TV series is a current one, we'd be dealing with a 2010/2011 timeline.

This means that Lois and Clark would be an 'old' married couple dealing with a world of instant communication and a print media on its way down and out.

Oh, and Terry, I'd never do that to Beckett. I actually like her.

Tank (who thinks that anyone who enjoyed Lois and Clark would like Castle... the dynamic is very similar to L&C only Beckett is the more pragmatic one)

Boards Chief Administrator
Nobel Peace Prize Winner
Boards Chief Administrator
Nobel Peace Prize Winner
I'm a recent Castle-follower, after a thread on this board made me check out the show. So, hyper Hope you really do put together this story.

Michael

Join us on the #loisclark Discord server! We talk about fanfic, our favorite show, life, and more! (It’s almost like the IRC days of old again!)

I go by Michael on the Archives.
BJ Offline
Top Banana
Top Banana
I'd read about other FoLCs interest in Castle before now, but hadn't taken the time to watch. Oh, wow! I loved it! Why didn't I remember that that Castle was played by Nathan Fillion.

First of all, you should *definitely* finish this crossover, Tank. I would be a dedicated reader.

Also, thank you Artemis for posting the link to the episodes. I just watched "Close Encounters of the Murderous Kind" and really enjoyed it. Favorite part: Castle speaking chinese and then referencing his favorite TV show as the source of his knowledge. Long live Firefly!

thumbsup

D
DW Offline
Columnist
Columnist
D
I haven't seen or followed Castle either, but the snippet looks very promising and I'll follow the fic too!

smile

Kerth
Kerth
Originally posted by Artemis:
Well, it's not much like Highlander, but it is fun. Try this: http://abc.go.com/shows/castle
You can see full episodes.
Funny, Terry!
cool
Artemis
Not watchable outside the USA, unfortunately.

Marcus L. Rowland
Forgotten Futures, The Scientific Romance Role Playing Game
Boards Chief Administrator Emeritus
Nobel Peace Prize Winner
Boards Chief Administrator Emeritus
Nobel Peace Prize Winner
Castle speaking chinese and then referencing his favorite TV show as the source of his knowledge. Long live Firefly!
Although I've decided that Castle isn't for me (I love Castle, mom and the daughter but unfortunately cannot stand Beckett), I'm delighted it's proven a success for Nathan. My favourite moment was this hilarious homage to Firefly:

Space Cowboy

goofy

LabRat smile

Athos: If you'd told us what you were doing, we might have been able to plan this properly.
Aramis: Yes, sorry.
Athos: No, no, by all means, let's keep things suicidal.

The Musketeers
Hack from Nowheresville
Hack from Nowheresville
I *love* Castle! Started watching it because it reminded me of L&C and Law and Order:SVU (another one my favs). I think Nathan Fillion and Stana Katic have a great chemistry together, and the show is just *fun*. It's got the whole murder mystery thing going on, but it definitely has it's lighter moments. The relationship drama is there, too, but hey, a little angst never hurt anyone. It's a great show!

(Interestingly enough, Rat, I liked Beckett better when I first started watching it! I had never seen Nathan in Firefly, so for some reason, it took me a minute to warm to him. Of course, a season later, and I can't imagine anyone else in the role!)

Anyway, Tank, I'd love to see this crossover - usually I'm not big on them, but I think you are a terrific writer and would do a great job with this one. I think you have a really good start!

Top Banana
Top Banana
Please, please continue!!!

Ever since I caught on to Castle (read about it on these boards in fact), I've been secretly wanting to watch er read a Castle/LnC story.

smile wave

If she had to move heaven and Earth, perhaps come back to haunt Perry and explain the story after they'd killed her, she would do it.

Waking a Miracle by Aria
Merriwether
Merriwether
Season 1 & 2 are available on DVD so I just added them to my Netflix queue. With this many recommendations, I'm looking forward to checking it out. smile

Kathy

Pulitzer
Pulitzer
Hi Marcus:
Well, you could buy the book from Amazon UK and get the flavor. Here's the US link for it:
http://www.amazon.com/Heat-Wave-Ric...mp;s=books&qid=1291504498&sr=1-1
There are changes: Rook in the book is Castle and Nikki Heat is Beckett. I like the combined name "Roach" for the two detectives that work for Heat. Yes, they drive a "Roach Coach". The dialog is of the same flavor in the TV show and the books.
IMHO, season 2 Beckett is harsher than Season 1.
Anyway, I say "go Tank." I'm eager to read it.
cool
Artemis

C
Pulitzer
Pulitzer
C
I'm not around much these days Tank, but I'd make time for this one!

Hack from Nowheresville
Hack from Nowheresville
Definitely continue this one. I'd love to see how Beckett & Castle interact with Lois & Clark and the Man of Steel.

Of the current TV shows we follow, Castle is the one I look forward to the most!

T
Tank Offline OP
Merriwether
OP Offline
Merriwether
T
Well since no one seems interested it looks like I'm off the hook... or maybe not.

I'm not the writer I once was. It takes me a lot longer to get and stay motivated enough to actually write something. So don't look for anything till sometime early next year. Maybe I'll get more Castle background in the next few weeks.

I've read both the books but don't really see them as Beckett and Castle. Merely props for the show.

Tank (who now has to actually think of some sort of storyline)

Page 1 of 2 1 2

Moderated by  bakasi, JadedEvie, Toomi8 

Link Copied to Clipboard