Lois & Clark Fanfic Message Boards
Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
MLT Offline OP
Merriwether
OP Offline
Merriwether
In The Eyes Have It, Superman was blinded when Leit shined ultraviolet light in his eyes. I get that. High quantities of UV light can cause blindness.

What I don’t get is why infrared light was the antidote. Is this just one of those Lois and Clark science things that is just made up or is there some real science behind it?

ML wave

She was in such a good mood she let all the pedestrians in the crosswalk get to safety before taking off again.
- CC Aiken, The Late Great Lois Lane
L
Pulitzer
Pulitzer
L
My speculation is that this is the L&C logic: In math, adding a positive and a negative number with the same absolute values gives a sum of zero. In chemistry, acids can neutralize alkalis and vice versa. By analogy, light with lower frequency than is visible to the human eye will cancel out the effects of light with a higher than visible frequency.

I am not an expert in the electromagnetic spectrum or how it affects the human anatomy, but I certainly wouldn't try that experiment! My understanding is that the analogy is flawed and another example of the show playing fast and loose with science in the interests of plot progression.

Joy,
Lynn

Nan Offline
Kerth
Kerth
It was just "made up Lois and Clark science."

Ultra-violet light can indeed cause blindness (which is why many kinds of sun glasses are ultra-violet opaque)but there isn't anything mysterious about it. Ultra-violet light damages the lens of the eye and eventually, with sufficient exposure, causes cataracts. If infra-red light were the antidote, there would be a lot of ophthalmic surgeons with a lot less business. The only cure for cataracts is surgery, where the cloudy lens is removed and an artificial lens is inserted in its place.

Admittedly, modern science has produced replacement lenses that are very good. In the old days people had to wear those clunky "cataract glasses". Thank heavens that is no longer necessary, since modern artificial lenses are amazing (my mother had cataract surgery and all she reported was that she had to wear reading glasses, which she had worn for years anyway since she was in her seventies at the time, and the fact that she saw some colors a little differently.) I'm sure that the lenses have been vastly improved in the fifteen years since, as well.

The only thing I can suggest for Clark would be that his Kryptonian healing powers might allow him to repair the damage the same way he can heal from injuries in seconds, or maybe Dr. Klein could come up with some miracle cure, but it wouldn't be grounded anywhere in reality.

Nan

Earth is the insane asylum for the universe.
MLT Offline OP
Merriwether
OP Offline
Merriwether
Thanks, Lynn and Nan. That helps a lot.

ML wave

She was in such a good mood she let all the pedestrians in the crosswalk get to safety before taking off again.
- CC Aiken, The Late Great Lois Lane

Moderated by  bakasi, JadedEvie, Toomi8 

Link Copied to Clipboard