Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Page 1 of 2 1 2
#163898 05/09/10 09:34 AM
Pulitzer
OP Offline
Pulitzer
You guys ever have those plot ideas that seem so enticing, but you know deep down that you'll never write them, even if time wasn't an issue? Maybe because you're not comfortable with your knowledge of the subjects involved, or it's so icky/sad/morally questionable that you can't bring yourself to type one word of it!

For instance, I've always wanted to write a fic that had Batman and Superman living in Russia around the time of the Bolshevik revolution. The problem is, every time I hear "historical fiction", I think "More Research than I'll ever be able to do in this lifetime." Ditto for the one where Lois and Clark are Japanese. sad

Well, Folcs? What are your abandonned plot bunnies?

~•~
L
Pulitzer
Pulitzer
L
Hi QotC,

I have posted a couple such ideas here already:
Clark\'s Powers

Frankly, any idea that I have that might involve a real A-plot, lots of dialogue (especially dialogue with Lois), or more than ten or so pages is one that I don't feel ready to tackle yet. Maybe someday I will, but right now I feel like I am still just getting my feet wet with writing fiction. I'm becoming more comfortable with it, and am starting to expand beyond the short comedic vignettes, but I still have a long way to go before I'll feel comfortable even thinking about tackling what I would consider a "real" story of any length. -- To change metaphors, I've moved from crawling to cruising, but I am far from running, much less flying. Practice, practice, practice...

cheers,
Lynn

Kerth
Kerth
I've wanted to do more with Sam Lane's robot Baby Gunderson - the main possibilities I thought of:

Terminator crossover: The technology is stolen by Cyberdyne minions amd adapted to build Terminators and other fun killer robots. Clark has to stop them.

Star Trek crossover: The technology evolves over centurues -eventually Data travels back in time to find his distant "ancestor" and rescue her from humans who don't appreciate her importance.

Buffy crossover: Warren Meers stole the technology from Sam to build his androids. During the period when the Buffy characters were using the Buffybot as a substitute vampire slayer they need to get Sam's advice on keeping the technology running. Except that Warren used magic as well as technology to build his robots, and Sam is a little out of his depth.

The trouble is that every time I try to write one of these it seems to come out as an essay on artificial intelligence, free will, etc. and deadly dull - I'd be grateful if someone else could take a crack at it.

Marcus L. Rowland
Forgotten Futures, The Scientific Romance Role Playing Game
Pulitzer
Pulitzer
Well, I would shamelessly fish for compliments by listing K for Knot Yet, the 4th President Kent story, etc, but I'm above that. wink And I do want to get back to them someday.

An idea I had the other week is not something I'd be interested in writing. I was just thinking of a situation where Lois loses her confidence/gets a bad scare, and starts getting cautious. Clark is happy about this at first, but then she's not taking any chances and she's miserable because she can't get good stories without risk. So it gets to the point where Clark is actually encouraging her to take risks, and gets to the point where he's holding back on rescuing her when she can handle the situation herself, etc, until she gets her confidence/courage back.

I'm thinking this would work best with L&C as an established couple. The B-plot point, I think, would be Clark realizing that, much as he complains about Lois's risk-taking, he also sort of loves that about her, and he doesn't want her to lose it.

I think Carol Malo did something similar to this in Yesterday, Upon the Stair, but I can't remember exactly, and someone else might have done something along those lines, too, and of course, different authors handle the same idea different ways, blah, blah, usual disclaimers here.

Anyway, it seemed like an interesting idea.... that I had no interest in writing, so here we are. smile I am releasing this plot bunny into the wild, if anyone wants to adopt it.

PJ

"You told me you weren't like other men," she said, shaking her head at him when the storm of laughter had passed.
He grinned at her - a goofy, Clark Kent kind of a grin. "I have a gift for understatement."
"You can say that again," she told him.
"I have a...."
"Oh, shut up."

--Stardust, Caroline K
Top Banana
Top Banana
The story I'm afraid to tackle is a death fic, but not really. It's really a post-death fic. The idea came to me when I lost my brother to cancer this winter. He has a widow with two kids, and at some point I got to thinking about the special challenges that Lois would face if she were widowed after she and Clark had a child. The story would be from the POV of the man who's trying to woo her into a second marriage. Talk about impossible shoes to fill! The whole subject is a little too fresh for me to want to tackle it now, but maybe some day.

This *is* my happily ever after.
L
Pulitzer
Pulitzer
L
Oh, I thought of a specific story I would never write...A sequel to "I've Got You Under my Skin". That episode begged for a follow on in which Woody Samms gets another human body. His knowing about Clark Kent being Superman could make for some interesting developments. But I disliked the episode enough not to wish to write such a story.

Though, for that matter, there are already a *lot* of people who know about Clark -- In addition to Woody and his daughter, there are the thugs from Spencer Spencer's island, for example. Not to mention that after the New Krypton storyline, everyone who had been sealed into Smallville (including the newswoman who interviewed Nor) would know his secret...After all, he publicly identified Clark as Kal El, and, not too long thereafter (in "The People vs. Lois Lane"), when Superman testifies in court, he uses the same name. And I'm guessing that there are probably more examples of people knowing who he is that I can't think of at the moment.

Edit: Oh yeah, Star has also heard Clark refer to himself as Kal El under hypnosis.

BTW, Has anyone written a followup story to the NK arc discussing these ramifications of it, or is the arc so disliked that no one has bothered?

cheers,
Lynn

Kerth
Kerth
Hmm, there are two stories I'll probably never write: One would be a realisation of the gender bender challenge (with a Claire Kent and a Louis Lane, but everybody else in his normal gender), but unfortunately, this story would be of epic length.

The other idea I had once upon a time: It's stated in the show (WIEAK) that Lois was an exchange student in Ireland. If you mess a little bit with the time-line, she might have met Clark there. And, Lois being Lois, she might have decided to do some singing in a pub as "Wanda Detroit" where she met Clark, never telling him who she was. As is to be expected from LnC, they'll fall in love instantly and do what couples in love are prone to do. With consequences. (I thought of twins, both either red heads or brown-haired.) Seeing no other option, Lois would give them up for adoption.

Now, it's 12 (14?) years later, the Lane/Kent twins lost their adoptive parents and are developing super powers. So what do they do? Come to Metropolis and investigate, of course. smile

The only known quantity that moves faster than
light is the office grapevine. (from Nan's fabulous Home series)
S
Columnist
Columnist
S
I'm going to stretch the question a bit and include "what I wish I had talent and time to write". Isaac Asimov said the best way to learn to write is to start writing so I'm giving it a shot. I'm trying but don't have a lot of experience in writing fiction. At the rate I'm going it'll be 2012 before I'm done so I'm sending it.

What would it would take to make Lex Luthor "good"? What influences could make that kind of impression on him?

Shallowford
C
Pulitzer
Pulitzer
C
Shallowford -

Terry's The Road Taken and Further On Down the Road have a good Lex Luthor. Now if we could just get 'The End of the Road'... It is the last in the trilogy so...

Terry! Wherefore art thou, Terry?! And the Road fic!

Top Banana
Top Banana
Okay, this one is totally trashy but it's been in my head for years.

it's a follow-up to the first Tempus ep.

But

instead of whisking L & C back to 'our time', the time machine is delayed - long enough for L & C, who have now acknowledged their feelings for each other (see the ep) to get a tad carried away - one thing leads to another , etc.

Anyway, time machine ferries them back to 'our time', mind wipe happens as per the ep

but

Lois is pregnant

with no idea who dad is - plus she's sure she hasn't had sex with anyone

tentative title: Immaculate Deception

plus there's an A plot, but it's more fuzzy in my mind. It may involve test tubes

c.

L
Pulitzer
Pulitzer
L
Originally posted by ccmalo:

Lois is pregnant

with no idea who dad is
Hmmm...Who the Dad would become obvious within a few years, should the child prove to be super. Wouldn't *that* be a surprise to Clark? (Sort of a "Chip off the Old Clark" with a twist...)

Joy,
Lynn

T
Pulitzer
Pulitzer
T
I art here. And the final Road fic art on mine hard drive. Be thou patient, CarolM, and mayhaps thou mightest be asked to beta it when it art completed.

Life isn't a support system for writing. It's the other way around.

- Stephen King, from On Writing
Pulitzer
OP Offline
Pulitzer

instead of whisking L & C back to 'our time', the time machine is delayed - long enough for L & C, who have now acknowledged their feelings for each other (see the ep) to get a tad carried away - one thing leads to another , etc.
I read a fic with this premise, but due to Spoilers, I prolly shouldn't say which it is. :p

Still, that fic didn't focus on the pregnancy/baby so much as the holes in the timeline. A fic with more focus on the personal consequences, i.e. actually just having the kid and moving forward from there, could be interesting! laugh

~•~
S
Columnist
Columnist
S
Clark has always wanted to live a "normal" life. What if he got his wish, only not how he imagined. (Borrowing Bob Bartholomew's ideas on Kryptonian Extensions or similar.)

Global warming has been shown to be a steaming pile of failed statistics and fraud but the hype has caused scientists to update their climate models and improve the measurement accuracy. The new measurements confirm that the Earth is warming--but so are Mars, Venus and Jupiter. Investigation shows that the cause is increased solar output. The projections show solar output increases of 3-5% over the next five years.

When the dust settles the Earth's climate will closely resemble what it was when the dinosaurs roamed. In the meantime it won't be pretty. Initially storms and hurricanes are expected to increase in severity. Just how bad depends on how rough or gradual the increases are. Tornado frequency and severity will increase. Droughts will be severe. Flooding beyond the 500 year levels are expected.

Localized famines are certain, continental famines are likely. Coastal areas are warned they may see either rising or falling seas. Earthquakes have been linked to rainfall and are expected to increase. Energy supplies will be taxed as the equatorial regions see temperatures approaching 120 °F and seasons away from the equator become more extreme. The ozone layer could be destroyed. Combined estimates of 30-50% of the Earth's population could be wiped out from these factors alone. Disease increases as medical systems are overtaxed and fail are not included.

Before the knowledge becomes public EPRAD and Star Labs are working on possible ways to mitigate the disaster. Lois and Clark are there on request as "special advisors" because of their familiarity with Superman. (post revelation, Bernie knows) Everything is considered. From creating a nuclear winter, underground cities, a moon base refuge to creating an artificial asteroid belt to block the solar energy increase. Someone suggests that Superman could help but another scientist says, "Superman? A hundred Supermen couldn't deal with this."

Something clicks in Lois's brain. If a hundred Supermen wouldn't be enough....maybe a thousand or ten thousand would. If superpowers can be transferred via red kryptonite or spread directly through infection with the Kryptonian Extensions then why not make enough Supermen to deal with the situation?

As she talks the idea over with Clark and Bernie Klein they realize that, basically everyone would need the superpowers to not only deal with the "disasters" themselves but the radiation, harsher environments and disease. On the other hand, the asteroid belt, underground cities, moon base and even a Mars base would be possible within 5 years with thousands of "supermen" available.

They also realize that even if the capability exists to create 8 billion supermen, society itself will change fundamentally. As supermen are being created those who wish to maintain power (governments) and those who crave it (criminals) will fight to control the technology and look for ways to boost their own power. (thinking of multiple red kryptonite power transfers to a single person or such) Crime prevention is almost impossible and how do you punish criminals? There's a limited supply of Kryptonite. Is human telepathy possible?

Clark sees this as a twisted repeat of Krypton's destruction and wants to do anything to avoid a similar fate. At least any New Kryptonians who came around would be easy to keep in line.

So, Clark gets to be normal, but only because everyone else has superpowers too.

This might end up as Well's Utopia in the end, but getting there would have to be interesting.

Shallowford
Top Banana
Top Banana
That's a very creative idea. Instead of 'defining deviancy down,' you'd be 'defining normalcy up.'

This *is* my happily ever after.
T
Merriwether
Merriwether
T
The trouble with the red kryptonite transfer is that it 'took' the powers from one individual and gave it to another, leaving the first super powered person now powerless.

It was the lightning transference that left both individuals with powers.

To get back to the original thread. Personally I've long been tempted by a cross-over idea (even though I don't generally like cross overs) of Lois and Clark with the Dresden books. Unfortunately, after the events of the last books I don't think my idea has any relavance anymore.

Tank (who always thought of Susan Rodriquez as the Lois Lane of the Dresden Files)

Beat Reporter
Beat Reporter
There are several stories by Arthur_Hansen on fanfiction.net that deal with a partial version of the many supers via power transfer. It uses the L&C background but is set in the Ranma 1/2 anime setting. L&C show up briefly in a couple of the stories but the focus is on the Ranma characters and how they deal with the powers.

IIRC the government recruited one of more of the people that had gotten powers transferred and uses them to create more. The best you can get is partial levels of power so none are as tough as the real Superman but still quite powerful. So super powered special forces and a few secret service bodyguards. Luthor has fled to Mexico and has avoided extradition via bribes and has his own enhancement program based on the powers Gretchen Kelly transferred? Luthor of course only transfers a lower level then himself and at high prices.

Beat Reporter
Beat Reporter
Originally posted by Queen of the Capes:
[b]
I read a fic with this premise, but due to Spoilers, I prolly shouldn't say which it is. :p

Still, that fic didn't focus on the pregnancy/baby so much as the holes in the timeline. A fic with more focus on the personal consequences, i.e. actually just having the kid and moving forward from there, could be interesting! laugh [/b]
I know which fic you are talking about and would love to this 'concept' done with just focusing on the pregnancy and aftermath.

LOIS:I don't like you.
MAYSON: Really? Oh god, that is such a relief - I don't like you either.
LOIS: That makes me feel so much better
T
Pulitzer
Pulitzer
T
I have a story on my hard drive (first draft half-done, fully outlined) where Clark moves on after Lois dies. But given the level of negative response to such stories on these boards, I've decided to let it go.

When you go to the zoo, there are signs all over the place telling you not to tease the animals.

C
Pulitzer
Pulitzer
C
Originally posted by Terry Leatherwood:
I art here. And the final Road fic art on mine hard drive. Be thou patient, CarolM, and mayhaps thou mightest be asked to beta it when it art completed.
LOL! I just saw this!

As long as they don't talk in that kinda English, we'll be good wink .

And when might that finishing be done?

Beat Reporter
Beat Reporter
Originally posted by Terry Leatherwood:
I have a story on my hard drive (first draft half-done, fully outlined) where Clark moves on after Lois dies. But given the level of negative response to such stories on these boards, I've decided to let it go.

When you go to the zoo, there are signs all over the place telling you not to tease the animals.
but I love those 'next gen' type of fics where Clark finds someone else! The amount of times I've read the "Home" series is actually quite embarrassing.

Top Banana
Top Banana
Nan's character in the Home series is Lois reincarnated - Nan has always made that clear.

c.

T
Pulitzer
Pulitzer
T
Bellarata wrote:

but I love those 'next gen' type of fics where Clark finds someone else! The amount of times I've read the "Home" series is actually quite embarrassing.
The problem is that this story isn't a 'next gen' fic. It's one set just after Lois dies young, specifically after my story She\'s. I just don't want to slog through all the emotional responses again.

Beat Reporter
Beat Reporter
Nan's character in the Home series is Lois reincarnated - Nan has always made that clear.

c.
Good point thumbsup

It still remains embarrassing however, how many times i've read that series laugh

Hack from Nowheresville
Hack from Nowheresville
I have ideas stuck in my head for the longest time but can't write them at all (I'm more of a reader than a writer...)

One of them would deal with a daughter of Lois and Clark that was given the chance to travel in time. She would go back to apparently random times as an observer but being a child of Superman she's compelled to help when she witnesses accidents or catastrophes.
During one of her travels she would end up saving Lex from death as a child and basically question if she was the cause of her parents suffering in the future... But at the same time she'd be conflicted for other reasons involving yet another child of Luthor's who in the future would save her life...

Too complicated I know... There are other premises, most of them involving time travel and lost relatives of Lex Luthor. Just not a decent plot... (Yeah, I guess I'm one of those Lex groupies...) :p

Granny Weatherwax: 'You've got to think headology, see? Not muck about with all this beauty and wealth business. That's not important.'

Wyrd Sisters, Terry Pratchett
L
Pulitzer
Pulitzer
L
I just thought of the premise for a crossover fanfic that I would never write, since I don't know the other character involved well enough and have no desire to do the requisite research: Suppose that instead of Jimmy Olsen being the young photographer at the Planet, it were Peter Parker instead?

Anyone who is better acquainted with Spidey than I am and who wishes to write such a story is welcome to go for it!

Joy,
Lynn

rkn Offline
Hack from Nowheresville
Hack from Nowheresville
I actually started and posted two segments of An L&C Adaptation of "The Blue Lagoon" in the nfic folder and then decided I wasn't really going to write it. I'm not the right person. Though if someone wants to take it up. . .

The other story I've thought might be interesting is if Lois and Clark married before an event where Clark dies (like TOGOM) and they don't figure out how to bring Clark back or when Clark is supposed to be gone to New Krypton with Superman and Lois becomes obviously pregnant making everyone wonder if she has a new boyfriend, one night stand (in the case of Clark's "death" or is cheating on Clark (in the case of Clark gone to New Krypton).

thanks!

rkn
Hack from Nowheresville
Hack from Nowheresville
The other story I've thought might be interesting is if Lois and Clark married before an event where Clark dies (like TOGOM) and they don't figure out how to bring Clark back or when Clark is supposed to be gone to New Krypton with Superman and Lois becomes obviously pregnant making everyone wonder if she has a new boyfriend, one night stand (in the case of Clark's "death" or is cheating on Clark (in the case of Clark gone to New Krypton).
I confess that I'm a sucker for such stories.
If you ever change your mind I'd love to read them blush

Granny Weatherwax: 'You've got to think headology, see? Not muck about with all this beauty and wealth business. That's not important.'

Wyrd Sisters, Terry Pratchett
Kerth
Kerth
I actually started and posted two segments of An L&C Adaptation of "The Blue Lagoon" in the nfic folder and then decided I wasn't really going to write it.
sad I thought that fic had a lot of potential. I was thinking about it the other day and hoping you were working on it.

Corrina.

rkn Offline
Hack from Nowheresville
Hack from Nowheresville
I have a little more written if there is interest in me posting it, though I still think it is a project for someone else, LOL. Let me know and I'll post another chapter.

thanks!

rkn
Page 1 of 2 1 2

Moderated by  bakasi, JadedEvie, Toomi8 

Link Copied to Clipboard