Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Page 1 of 2 1 2
ccmalo Offline OP
Top Banana
OP Offline
Top Banana
Okay, here is the definitive list of L & C characters who may not be killed off in fanfic without a bit of a gentle reader 'reaction'

- Henderson

- Lois
- Clark
- Perry, Martha, Jonathan (unless they are very, very old)
- Cat (Tank, you killed Cat! Just saying)
- Mayson (i know they did this in the series, but it was Not. Right.)

notice Jimmy is not on the list - I am ambivalent there

c. (these are of course, my thoughts only - no outsourcing has transpired)

L
Pulitzer
Pulitzer
L
Originally posted by ccmalo:
Okay, here is is the definitive list of L & C characters who may not be killed off in fanfic without a bit of a gentle reader 'reaction'

_ Henderson
- Lois
-Clark
_ Perry, Martha, Jonathan (unless they are very, very old)
-Cat (Tank, you killed Cat! Just saying)

notice Jimmy is not on the list - I am ambivalent there

c. angel-devil
I would agree with most of your list, at least as far as my own personal reactions are concerned, with a few exceptions:
- I would take Cat off and put Jimmy on
- I would take Henderson off (He was too minor a character and, frankly, never made much of an impression on me even when he was on screen.)
- I might add Dr. Klein and H.G. Wells to the list

And, in agreement with you, I would *definitely* keep Ralph way, way off the list!

- Lynn

T
Pulitzer
Pulitzer
T
But writers are supposed to get reactions from their readers! If I write something, post it, and no one - I mean no one - posts any feedback to any portion of it, then the story hasn't touched a single reader and I haven't done my job as a writer. I don't advocate killing off any character for the sole purpose of generating strong reactions, but I refuse to be boxed in by lists of characters considered untouchable under any circumstances. If the story leads to a grave, that's where it's going to go.

That doesn't mean that everyone has to read it, nor does it mean that everyone has to like it. We all have different tastes and preferences, and that's all good. But we shouldn't set absolute limits on story lines or plots. That's not far from censorship, y'all, and I'm not a big fan of it.

Life isn't a support system for writing. It's the other way around.

- Stephen King, from On Writing
ccmalo Offline OP
Top Banana
OP Offline
Top Banana
Terry, I meant my list somewhat tongue-in-cheek. smile Not trying to box you in smile

I don't advocate killing off any character for the sole purpose of generating strong reactions
Good to hear!

c.

T
Pulitzer
Pulitzer
T
I meant my list somewhat tongue-in-cheek.
Thanks. My apologies if I appeared to react too strongly, and for not getting the joke. I guess I'm a little gun-shy on the subject.

Life isn't a support system for writing. It's the other way around.

- Stephen King, from On Writing
L
Pulitzer
Pulitzer
L
Originally posted by ccmalo:
Terry, I meant my list somewhat tongue-in-cheek. smile Not trying to box you in smile
FWIW, I did not interpret your list as censorship (which I, too, would have found offensive), but rather as an indication that killing off the specified characters would likely get a reaction from the audience (which, as Terry pointed out, is not necessarily a bad thing, and may even be precisely the desired effect).

cheers,
Lynn

T
TOC Offline
Nobel Peace Prize Winner
Nobel Peace Prize Winner
T
Carol, I snickered at the "Jimmy is not on my list" comment! goofy

Ann

MLT Offline
Merriwether
Merriwether
Note to self: Next story, kill off Henderson. (Sorry, Carol. I just couldn't resist since, when I saw the subject, I just knew that Henderson would be at the top of your list laugh )

ML wave

She was in such a good mood she let all the pedestrians in the crosswalk get to safety before taking off again.
- CC Aiken, The Late Great Lois Lane
ccmalo Offline OP
Top Banana
OP Offline
Top Banana
no, no - you can't be doing that ML! (I can just see it now - ML kills off Henderson at a curling match - he dies of boredom laugh )

Pulitzer
Pulitzer
No, not boredom... he laughs himself to death at the players' outfits...

PJ

"You told me you weren't like other men," she said, shaking her head at him when the storm of laughter had passed.
He grinned at her - a goofy, Clark Kent kind of a grin. "I have a gift for understatement."
"You can say that again," she told him.
"I have a...."
"Oh, shut up."

--Stardust, Caroline K
Top Banana
Top Banana
I'm sorry but I have to comment on the "Kill Bill" thread.

Hes a cop.
He a minor supporting character.
Even I would kill off Henderson!

Of course, I haven't yet but now that I'm thinking...

Note on Henderson: I grew up watching the George Reeves Superman. Whenever I think or write Henderson, I see Robert Shayne. He will always be Bill Henderson in my mind.

Bob

Top Banana
Top Banana
I've been watching Law & Order SVU - John Munch keeps coming through in my Henderson.

Big Apricot Superman Movieverse
The World of Lois & Clark
Richard White to Lois Lane: Lois, Superman is afraid of you. What chance has Clark Kent got? - After the Storm
T
Merriwether
Merriwether
T
Here's my list of characters who should be killed off any time the situation allows for it.

Jimmy Olsen
James Olsen
James Bartholomew Olsen
J. B. Olsen
Jimmy 'the annoying' Olsen
Jim Olsen
Justin Whalen

Any other character would actually need to further a plot point, or be used to expand the characterization of another character.

Tank (who just remembered that he did imply Lois' death in a fic, but it was a noble death where she sacrificed herself to save Superman from being made a pawn of the bad guys)

T
TOC Offline
Nobel Peace Prize Winner
Nobel Peace Prize Winner
T
Tank!!!! rotflol rotflol rotflol

Ann

Top Banana
Top Banana
Originally posted by Tank:
Here's my list of characters who should be killed off any time the situation allows for it.

Jimmy Olsen
James Olsen
James Bartholomew Olsen
J. B. Olsen
Jimmy 'the annoying' Olsen
Jim Olsen
Justin Whalen

Any other character would actually need to further a plot point, or be used to expand the characterization of another character.

Tank (who just remembered that he did imply Lois' death in a fic, but it was a noble death where she sacrificed herself to save Superman from being made a pawn of the bad guys)
How can anyone hate Jimmy? He has such a great middle name. evil

BTW, would you believe my son's name is James? laugh

Bob

ccmalo Offline OP
Top Banana
OP Offline
Top Banana
Tank, you forgot Jimmy Interruptus.

(with apologies to Bob)

c.

Merriwether
Merriwether
Tank.. Justin Whalin but not Michael Landes?

"You need me. You wouldn't be much of a hero without a villain. And you do love being the hero, don't you. The cheering children, the swooning women, you love it so much, it's made you my most reliable accomplice." -- Lex Luthor to Superman, Question Authority, Justice League Unlimited
T
Merriwether
Merriwether
T
Michael Landis pretty killed himself.

Did anyone see the horrible psuedo supernatural monster series he was in?

Tank(who greatly dislikes all Jimmy Olsens)

T
TOC Offline
Nobel Peace Prize Winner
Nobel Peace Prize Winner
T
I have a strong objection to Michael Landes (Landis?) as Jimmy Olsen. When he was Jimmy, he looked too much like Clark Kent. He was too dark-haired, too tall and lean, too "adult-looking". Jimmy is supposed to look much younger than Clark Kent, and he is supposed to have a different hair color. I'm just saying!

Anyway, when I was reading the Superman comics in the sixties and early seventies, I grew to somewhat dislike Jimmy Olsen. It was because there were too many stories that were "Jimmy-centered". When Superman spent time with Jimmy, which he seemed to do way too often, he didn't have time to be with Lois and cultivate his relationship with her. It was as if he very much preferred his "big brother" relationship with Jimmy over his potentially seriously romantic relationship with Lois. frown razz

So to me, Jimmy is a serious "romance-killer" and worthy of his title "Jimmy Interruptus" for more reasons than one!

[Linked Image]

The classic comic book Jimmy Olsen, keeping Superman busy.

Ann

P.S. Oh, and by the way... since Jimmy says that he is going to be frozen until the year 2058, I think we can date this comic to 1958!

T
TOC Offline
Nobel Peace Prize Winner
Nobel Peace Prize Winner
T
And take a look at this cover:

[Linked Image]

Superman and Jimmy Olsen split up! But they never did. No wonder Superman had no time for Lois.

Ann

Boards Chief Administrator Emeritus
Nobel Peace Prize Winner
Boards Chief Administrator Emeritus
Nobel Peace Prize Winner
I have a strong objection to Michael Landes (Landis?) as Jimmy Olsen. When he was Jimmy, he looked too much like Clark Kent. He was too dark-haired, too tall and lean, too "adult-looking". Jimmy is supposed to look much younger than Clark Kent, and he is supposed to have a different hair color. I'm just saying!
That's interesting, Ann. That's precisely the reason that the studio gave for ditching Landes and bringing in Justin Whalen. They were worried viewers would get confused between him and Dean Cain. Which I think was taking it a tad too far. laugh

I enjoyed Landes portrayal, but I was delighted when Justin came in because I was already a bit of a fan of his after a superb guest performance he gave in one of my all time favourite Young Riders episodes. I thought he did a darn good job as Jimmy, too.

Sorry, Tank.

BTW, you started my heart off good this morning as the first thing my eye caught when this thread came up was your line that Landes killed himself and for a second I thought he was dead for real! rotflol

LabRat smile

Athos: If you'd told us what you were doing, we might have been able to plan this properly.
Aramis: Yes, sorry.
Athos: No, no, by all means, let's keep things suicidal.

The Musketeers
Merriwether
Merriwether
Originally posted by Tank:
Michael Landis pretty killed himself.

Did anyone see the horrible psuedo supernatural monster series he was in?

Tank(who greatly dislikes all Jimmy Olsens)
I actually enjoyed Special Unit 2. Especially when his character started getting into fights with Carl the gnome... usually while driving down the road. shock

"You need me. You wouldn't be much of a hero without a villain. And you do love being the hero, don't you. The cheering children, the swooning women, you love it so much, it's made you my most reliable accomplice." -- Lex Luthor to Superman, Question Authority, Justice League Unlimited
Page 1 of 2 1 2

Moderated by  bakasi, JadedEvie, Toomi8 

Link Copied to Clipboard